Movies that are not as good as you remembered | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Movies that are not as good as you remembered

Reaction Score
Red Dawn, commando, tron - horrendous movies upon recent rewatch.

On the flip side, John Hugh's did so many movies set in the 80's yet every one that I can recall have perfect staying power.
I wonder how teenagers today find John Hughes' movies. Seems like kids today get along too well with their parent to really appreciate how funny those movies were.

upload_2017-8-11_15-47-57.jpeg

Reaction Score
Top Gun - liked it when it came out, now a cringefest.

Rocky 4 - basically a music video. Rocky running to the top of a mountain range and his post fight speech are embarrassing.

True Grit (original) - loved it years ago but saw recently and kinda sux. Remake was good.

Old Yeller - still sad but pretty brutal (and short).

The Clint Eastwood fistfight/ape movies. Ridiculous.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gladiator's plot is ridiculous.

It's hard to name a non-documentary film where the plot isn't ridiculous.

Since you resurrected this thread, I was thinking that the number of films that have aged well is a lot shorter and easier to remember than the ones that seem awful upon viewing today.

Even threads like "100 Top Westerns" really only have 10-15 movies tops that are actually worth sitting through. Westerns aged poorly for a whole host of reasons that teen sex/angst movies didn't (racist crap vs Indians or Mexicans or both, John Wayne bad acting, good guys don't miss a shot while bad guys miss them all, etc. etc.)

Anyway, looking back over what was mentioned and what wasn't the first time around on this thread, the original "The In-Laws" is not on TV enough and never gets the credit it deserves as a timeless comedy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Gladiator's plot had issues that were highlighted at the time. The two biggest being that a) a Roman general was just picked up by slavers in his front yard, and b) then no one figured out he was a Roman general until he meets Commodus, when suddenly everyone recognizes him.

Think the movie pulls it off because Crowe was solid and Joaquin Phoenix is incredible. Plus the opening scene is awesome.

Reaction Score
I feel like some of you here would enjoy "The Rewatchables" podcast (even if it's hosted by Bill Simmons)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Two of the "funny" Woody Allen movies that killed me when they came out but didn't kill me upon recent rewatching: Sleeper and Love & Death. Especially the latter. Individual bits I still love but the entire movies just didn't pop like I remembered.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Top Gun - liked it when it came out, now a cringefest.

Rocky 4 - basically a music video. Rocky running to the top of a mountain range and his post fight speech are embarrassing.

True Grit (original) - loved it years ago but saw recently and kinda sux. Remake was good.

Old Yeller - still sad but pretty brutal (and short).

The Clint Eastwood fistfight/ape movies. Ridiculous.
The original True Grit is one of my favorites. I love it all from the score, the cinematography, and the acting - even the Glen Campbell and the ridiculously old Kim Darby.

Rocky 4 is movie where Apollo Creed dies and Rocky gets his worst beat down. If you don't like that you have write off the whole series. Rocky was always a lot of filler and the fight scenes.

Otherwise I agree. Top Gun is like air Rocky... filler and flight scenes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom