Mount Rushmore (UCONN Style) | The Boneyard

Mount Rushmore (UCONN Style)

Who's the fourth on UCONN's Mt Rushmore?

• Sue Bird

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Tina Charles

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Rebecca Lobo

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • Other (and explain)

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We had a thread about this around a year ago. As to whether Stewart would make it up there on the UCONN Mt Rushmore. Assuming she's up there (I am), that gives us ( what ever order you prefer):

Taurasi
Moore
Stewart

Question now is, who is the 4th? I figure you at least have to be a NPOY for consideration.

Cast your vote wisely. Somebody may get commissioned to do this someday.

Reaction Score
Stewie, 3 NC"s working on 4. Only one who can better that is Morgan Tuck (5).

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Stewie, 3 NC"s working on 4. Only one who can better that is Morgan Tuck (5).

Yeah but she's already in along with D and Maya. So, we're picking a 4th :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Voted for Lobo - how can you have Mt. Rushmore without George Washington, he might not be the best president but he was the first. Same goes for Lobo - it also means you have one from each era of greatness with no overlap. (Sue is one of my all time favorites, but with DT selected already, Lobo just seems more fitting. And with Maya already selected, the same goes for Tina.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo.

But what happens if we have a multiple NPOY in the near future which is a possibility. Better buy the property now to expand.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I voted other. My explanation is that no one else should go on UCONN Mt. Rushmore "at this time". What MM, DT & Stewie all have in common is multiple NPOY awards. Sue, Rebecca & Tina each have 1 NPOY. So to keep it simple, multiple NPOY gets you on,this way you can leave room for for the next UCONN great.

Reaction Score
I voted other. My explanation is that no one else should go on UCONN Mt. Rushmore "at this time". What MM, DT & Stewie all have in common is multiple NPOY awards. Sue, Rebecca & Tina each have 1 NPOY. So to keep it simple, multiple NPOY gets you on,this way you can leave room for for the next UCONN great.

I agree 100%

HOWEVER

Mt. Rushmore could be divided into two separate groups;

A. 4 greatest at UConn- Bird, DT, MM, Stewie

B. 4 greatest in entire basketball career- Bird, DT, MM, TC

Reaction Score
This is one of those impossible questions :) Each of the 3 mentioned (Bird, Charles and Lobo) got the resume to be that 4th and choosing one of them depends on preferences such as do you go for the first National Player of the Year (Lobo), the best PG of all time (Bird) or for the best center in the history of UConn (Charles)...for me the 4th one for now should be Geno :)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
This is, indeed, awfully tough to pick. Lobo is the first transcendent superstar. Charles was, at one point, the leading scorer and rebounder (IIRC) in the program. Sue is, well, Sue, the General who ran the Greatest Show on Earth, for a pivotal point in the program. Consider Bascomb, who was the leading scorer, and who first lead our people out of the wilderness and into the Promised Land.

As I always note, in discussions of this sort - ain't this a lovely problem to have? Trying to figure out, from all these extraordinary women over all these many years, who among them are the most extraordinary?:D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I voted for Lobo but I feel like Bascom ought to be in the discussion, even if she doesn't make the final cut. One can argue she is a critical a recruit to the woman's program as Chris Smith was to the men's program.

Reaction Score
From left to right, in order of greatness: #1, #2, and #3 on UConn's Mt. Rushmore...[#4 Breanna Stewart not pictured, c.v. not complete.] Geno IS Gutzon Borglum.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I picked Rebecca for the historical significance and also because she was great :)

Yes, I voted the same way and for the same reasons.

It may be true that Tina Charles was a stronger player, but (with all due respect to Kerry Bascom)
as another poster has said - Rebecca was the George Washington of the UConn program.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm not willing to vote a current player onto a Mount Rushmore. So I go Bird third, Lobo fourth. Lobo is arguably the most historically significant player in all of WCBB. As Pinot points out, she was a transcendent player. And after the '95 championship, she was the face of women's basketball, period.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I voted for Lobo but I feel like Bascom ought to be in the discussion, even if she doesn't make the final cut. One can argue she is a critical a recruit to the woman's program as Chris Smith was to the men's program.
I was thinking about Bascom as well. She's more "George Washington" than Lobo, but really you could make an argument for any of them...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rebecca, with Sue a close second. Sue may retire as the greatest PG ever--college or pro or combined. And arguably the smartest player ever. She was Geno on the floor.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Such a tough choice between those 3 (Bird, Charles, Lobo).

Think those 3 are above the next tier though,

Abrosimova, Wolters, Montgomery, Sales, Cash, Bascom, Rizzotti, Dolson, Jefferson, KML

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The thread on this subject last year was this one that I started. In that thread, I suggested the four faces who belonged on the UConn Mt. Rushmore at the time were Maya's, Diana's, Rebecca's, and Kerry's. If you look at the history of WCBB, UConn doesn't make a final four without Kerry (without which Rebecca might not have committed in 1991), doesn't win a NC without Lobo, doesn't three-peat without Diana, and doesn't win 71 games in a row (much less 90) without Maya.

However, I think Stewie has to be on Mt. Rushmore, what with another three-peat for the Huskies, an unheard-of three Final Four MOP awards, and two NPOY award-winning seasons (including a clean sweep last year). That's a legacy that's unprecedented in a UConn player and for the Husky program.

The question, then, is who you take off? In terms of greatness, you can't remove Diana or Maya, and it would kill me to remove Rebecca or Kerry. With a gun to my head, I keep Lobo, remove Kerry, and hate myself in the morning.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Yes, I voted the same way and for the same reasons.

It may be true that Tina Charles was a stronger player,

I checked the stats just to see how much better Tina's were than Rebecca's. Well, I got a surprise :D

Tina's rebounding and scoring stats are only better when totaled. Rebecca has a higher career per game average for both scoring and rebounding but played 26 less games (126 vs 152): 16.9 ppg and 10.1 rpg vs. 15.4 and 9.0. Rebecca also had more total blocks and assists, meaning higher per game totals, too: 3.1 bpg and 2.1 vs. 1.5 bpg and 1.1 apg.

Tina was, however, a better shooter: .610 vs. .498.

Now, obviously, stats become a function of who is on your team, too. Tina would've scored more if Maya wasn't on the team, but, likewise, Rebecca would've scored more if Kara wasn't on the team.

In any event, I found it interesting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22