More praise for Andre Jackson | Page 15 | The Boneyard

More praise for Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
17.6 PTS (112 ORtg) and 9.5 REB per 40 may not be attainable for him his freshman year. I don't think he's nearly as ready as Oubre was to produce in the halfcourt, but we'll see.

People seem to be expecting him to be the hero we need, but I don't think that's a fair expectation for his freshman year.
We'll need him to be ready to start. Bouknight has a better offensive rate than Oubre, we'll also need Jackson to. We're simply going to need a ton out of our new players because of how terrible our vets are.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
ThoughtZ™ on Jackson as a playmaker.
  1. When he's on, he's really fun to watch. I really miss having fun watching the Huskies.
  2. Really appears to think well while pushing the ball up court at breakneck speed. Been a while since we've seen that in a Husky wing. Seems to know where everyone is and who's open or about to get open by the time he crosses half court.
  3. He seems to have a tendency to drive through congestion, especially around the foul line. Not sure how well that's going to translate to D1, but for now, he attracts the attention of half the defense as he does so, and it gives him a lot of opportunities to dish. Seems like recently we've had too many guys who do this, and have to concentrate so hard on maintaining possession/control of the ball that they rarely look for a dish target.
  4. One of his favorite moves seems to be firing the ball across his body on a low, cross court rifle pass -- usually of the no-look variety -- either to the elbow or the corner. The pass brings to mind the baseball term, 'frozen rope'. Most of our current roster would have little chance of catching that pass.
  5. Loves to dunk, but also doesn't mind not being the guy who leads the break and gets the highlight reel dunk. Seems just as excited by making the pass that creates the highlight reel dunk for a teammate. He could contribute mightily to Bouk's pending superstar status. I suspect that both Bouk and Akok will benefit from Andre's play making abilities.
  6. Sorry if I'm already thinking too much about next year, but...

Reaction Score
We'll need him to be ready to start. Bouknight has a better offensive rate than Oubre, we'll also need Jackson to. We're simply going to need a ton out of our new players because of how terrible our vets are.
I agree that we need a lot, just not sure we’re getting it from Jackson alone. And Bouknight’s numbers are worse than Oubre’s freshman stats now, although considering his supporting cast, Bouk has it much tougher.

The biggest difference on the team next year should be Cole. Even if he’s just a solid PG, that’s a huge upgrade from what we’re getting at that spot this year. Gilbert has been a complete disaster.

Reaction Score
I agree that we need a lot, just not sure we’re getting it from Jackson alone. And Bouknight’s numbers are worse than Oubre’s freshman stats now, although considering his supporting cast, Bouk has it much tougher.

The biggest difference on the team next year should be Cole. Even if he’s just a solid PG, that’s a huge upgrade from what we’re getting at that spot this year. Gilbert has been a complete disaster.
How are Bouknight's offensive stats worse than Oubre's? He averages slightly more points in slightly less time and does so more efficiently.

Reaction Score
How are Bouknight's offensive stats worse than Oubre's? He averages slightly more points in slightly less time and does so more efficiently.
He’s slightly less efficient according to bRef and Kenpom’s offensive ratings, but does score a couple more points per 40. The difference is negligible and Oubre had a much better supporting cast, so I’ll take Bouknight. But the OP was comparing Jackson to Oubre anyway, not Bouknight. I don’t think Jackson will be as good from the jump.

Reaction Score
17.6 PTS (112 ORtg) and 9.5 REB per 40 may not be attainable for him his freshman year. I don't think he's nearly as ready as Oubre was to produce in the halfcourt, but we'll see.

People seem to be expecting him to be the hero we need, but I don't think that's a fair expectation for his freshman year.
I think we just expect him to be better than what we have tbh, which isn’t a high standard to set.

Reaction Score
"He's arguably the best player in the country in transition," Fruscio said. "Once he gets on the move and he's running down the court with the ball like Edwin Moses, then, all of a sudden, you've got to try to stop him on the move. And he finishes."

Well that will be a change!

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Lake Clifton (MD) vs. Albany Academy (NY) - 2019 Slam Dunk to the Beach

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
During the telecast of the game last night vs Tulane - the announcer mentioned Hurley told him Jackson will be the best athlete he ever coached .

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
During the telecast of the game last night vs Tulane - the announcer mentioned Hurley told him Jackson will be the best athlete he ever coached .
Hopefully they say that every year about another recruit of ours, signifying DH & his coaches are getting it done on the recruiting trail.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Just heard from a friend who coaches HS hoops in the Albany area. It's probably not news, but he says this kid is the best HS dunker he has ever seen.

Is he a Stanley? A Dyson? A Lamb? Better?

Reaction Score
Just heard from a friend who coaches HS hoops in the Albany area. It's probably not news, but he says this kid is the best HS dunker he has ever seen.

Is he a Stanley? A Dyson? A Lamb? Better?
Kwint

Reaction Score
I know we need three-point shooting, but it seems just about as important that we improve our ability to finish at the rim. I have a feeling Andre Jackson is going to help that happen.

I agree about finishing at the rim. We miss way to many layups and contested bunnies. He goes up with the purpose of dunking every opportunity he gets. Hopefully that mentality rubs off on others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kids an unbelievable athlete. Hope he can dunk through zones though because if we don't get shooters we will see defenses crowding the middle all year. I mean if we could shoot at all we win that game and a couple others easily. Tyler is really the only guy (he will be lucky to play after Christmas next year) we've had all year and they realized that. Get shooters or big trouble again 2020 I don't care how many great athletes we have.

Reaction Score
Kids an unbelievable athlete. Hope he can dunk through zones though because if we don't get shooters we will see defenses crowding the middle all year. I mean if we could shoot at all we win that game and a couple others easily. Tyler is really the only guy (he will be lucky to play after Christmas next year) we've had all year and they realized that. Get shooters or big trouble again 2020 I don't care how many great athletes we have.

On the one hand you say we need shooters, then you say we shouldn't criticize a starter who is shooting 32% through nearly half the season. Amazing.

Our starting backcourt had 4 assists yesterday, and took 28 shots. To me that looks like a problem.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Now that we are getting great athletes it is critical for our coaches to teach them to "grind" in the gym besides at regular practice. Gym rats = scorers (see L. Bird, Ray Allen et al). It's all for their future benefit as well as the team's. No substitute for hard work NOW. The competition will only get more fierce at every level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom