More praise for Andre Jackson | Page 16 | The Boneyard

More praise for Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
Now that we are getting great athletes it is critical for our coaches to teach them to "grind" in the gym besides at regular practice. Gym rats = scorers (see L. Bird, Ray Allen et al). It's all for their future benefit as well as the team's. No substitute for hard work NOW. The competition will only get more fierce at every level.

Equally important to have a point guard who gets shooters the ball in good spots. Our starting point guard had 3 assists yesterday in 45 minutes played. The other starting guard had 1 assist. 4 assists for our starting backcourt, and 28 shots taken.

Better ball movement is tied to success.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On the one hand you say we need shooters, then you say we shouldn't criticize a starter who is shooting 32% through nearly half the season. Amazing.

Wrong in that assessment. Shouldn't single him out is what I said. And by the way when did I say I was happy with his game overall during all of that? Don't put words into my reply please. We need to shoot better and need better shooters. But PGs aren't always good shooters anyway although 32% is awful.

Amazing that's what you read as I readily admitted he deserves criticism. But nice take on your part.

Reaction Score
Equally important to have a point guard who gets shooters the ball in good spots. Our starting point guard had 3 assists yesterday in 45 minutes played. The other starting guard had 1 assist. 4 assists for our starting backcourt, and 28 shots taken.

Better ball movement is tied to success.

3 assists LOL. How many missed shots from our whole very bad shooting team to help him or even Christian? He had 8 assists the other night and I am sure you were hammering him once again. Your assists come up with better shooters that's easy enough to understand. 38% overall and 26% from 3. Ample opportunities for lay ups that were missed. Catch up here.

Reaction Score
3 assists LOL. How many missed shots from our whole very bad shooting team to help him or even Christian? He had 8 assists the other night and I am sure you were hammering him once again. Your assists come up with better shooters that's easy enough to understand. 38% overall and 26% from 3. Ample opportunities for lay ups that were missed. Catch up here.

Our starting guards had 4 assists in 90 minutes of playing time yesterday, yet took 28 shots. That is certainly a problem. If you don't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our starting guards had 4 assists in 90 minutes of playing time yesterday. That is certainly a problem. If you don't see that...

Of course it is but again, if you don't see how bad of a shooting team we have both on the perimeter and finishing inside, how any assists can you get? How many assists alone for Josh which he missed bunnies our was fouled? And I know you're not new to this board this isn't the first year our assist percentage sucks it's been an ongoing issue at UConn even with Jalen Adams. Nothing new we can't shoot.

If you don't see that....

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Of course it is but again, if you don't see how bad of a shooting team we have both on the perimeter and finishing inside, how any assists can you get? How many assists alone for Josh which he missed bunnies our was fouled? And I know you're not new to this board this isn't the first year our assist percentage sucks it's been an ongoing issue at UConn even with Jalen Adams. Nothing new we can't shoot.

I actually agree with both of you. Alterique would definitely have more assists if we had better shooters and finishers. However, he also turns the ball over way too much for an upperclassmen point guard and he's not a good shooter. I love the kid's heart, but we need to improve at that position if we're going to get back to the tournament.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with both of you. Alterique would definitely have more assists if we had better shooters and finishers. However, he also turns the ball over way too much for an upperclassmen point guard and he's not a good shooter. I love the kid's heart, but we need to improve at that position if we're going to get back to the tournament.

Agree but we need to improve at EVERY position if we are going to get back to the tournament.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Agree but we need to improve at EVERY position if we are going to get back to the tournament.

That's true for sure. The point guard has the ball in his hands more than anyone and is expected to be the leader on the court, so that's why I'm most concerned about that position.

Reaction Score
That's true for sure. The point guard has the ball in his hands more than anyone and is expected to be the leader on the court, so that's why I'm most concerned about that position.

We should be very concerned because Gaffney has a ways to go. And Coles who is undersized like the guy we have averaged more TO's his first 2 years against lesser competition than what our PG is averaging now. Agree scary no doubt but we assume he can shoot it a little better. But by no means is there a definitive answer on our bench from what I see.

Reaction Score

When your starting guards have 7 times as many field goal attempts as assists, it's a big problem. Our starting guards played 90 minutes yesterday and had 4 assists, despite taking 28 shots. Bouknight shot 50% from the floor yesterday (and is shooting 50% on the season) and Akok didn't have a single field goal. These two need way more touches and AG needs to distribute the ball better. That should be easy to digest.

You know as well as I do that we won a national championship in 2014 based largely upon our guard play. Bazz and Boat owned that tournament. We have been a middle of the pack AAC team the past 3 seasons and are 1-3 in conference so far this season. You can defend the starting guards all you want, but their play is a huge factor in the lack of success over the past 3 1/2 seasons. They simply need to make better decisions and share the ball more.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Back to Andre Jackson so is he going to be the shooter we desperately need? I have not seen him play but many of you have and chronicled him as an athlete/scorer (sounds like Sid to me). Can he shoot?

Reaction Score
Both sides have merit in this debate. AG is at best an adequate point guard but on this team adequate won't get the job done. Complaints about our starting backcourt taking 28 shots isn't warranted because who else was making shots? Certainly not JC, AA, or BA who collectively went 3 for 19. The 3 guys who took the most shots went 19 for 40. I'll take that everyday. Had we been a little better from the foul line we would have won this game.

Reaction Score
When your starting guards have 7 times as many field goal attempts as assists, it's a big problem. Our starting guards played 90 minutes yesterday and had 4 assists, despite taking 28 shots. Bouknight shot 50% from the floor yesterday (and is shooting 50% on the season) and Akok didn't have a single field goal. These two need way more touches and AG needs to distribute the ball better. That should be easy to digest.

You know as well as I do that we won a national championship in 2014 based largely upon our guard play. Bazz and Boat owned that tournament. We have been a middle of the pack AAC team the past 3 seasons and are 1-3 in conference so far this season. You can defend the starting guards all you want, but their play is a huge factor in the lack of success over the past 3 1/2 seasons. They simply need to make better decisions and share the ball more.

I have not defended the guards other than to say they shouldn't be singled out so quit going there. And do not defend your position on this reply without questioning Danny Hurley. Polley never got enough shots and Bouknight doesn't because he's always one on one rarely getting shots off of picks, if at all. Akok is never seen coming off of low block pick to cacth and shoot or try a jump hook. Always an open 3 which the other team is fine with. Heck they know Vital can go off he doesn't get open. You make it sound like it's on the guards only to get people open. NO ONE is ever open whether they penetrate and kick out or just stay on top and run the awful offense. Polley doesn't get open because the other team makes sure he's not and he can't put it on the floor, same with Bouk who they will double down as soon as he penetrates. There's nothing special going on out there on offense it hasn't changed. If you can't go to Carlton and have him throw it back out which he can't you're screwed. Again everyone needs to get better including the coaching but hey, lets not go there!

Reaction Score
We need shooters to open the floor. As Mau said opponents will play zone or just back off and pack the paint. Once we have an consistent outside threat, more than 1 person, we will be able tondonthings in the paint. We needs to convert there as well.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We should be very concerned because Gaffney has a ways to go. And Coles who is undersized like the guy we have averaged more TO's his first 2 years against lesser competition than what our PG is averaging now. Agree scary no doubt but we assume he can shoot it a little better. But by no means is there a definitive answer on our bench from what I see.

Yeah I think Gaffney will get better and I know he's been dealing with an ankle injury that won't go away, but I haven't seen enough from him yet to think he'll be ready to take on a larger load next year. Cole may turn the ball over at a similar rate, but if he's consistently scoring the basketball and racking up assists at the same time then that will be an improvement over what we've been getting from the position this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Back to Andre Jackson so is he going to be the shooter we desperately need? I have not seen him play but many of you have and chronicled him as an athlete/scorer (sounds like Sid to me). Can he shoot?

As @mauconnfan said, it appears to be a no. But Seth Towns would be a yes. What Andre can do is attack the rim and pass the ball. Plus his athleticism will be disruptive on defense and can lead to offensive rebound scoring. This is going to be a bad shooting team again next year. But it's going to be crazy fast and athletic if Sid comes back.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Cole, Bouk and Polley. We will have some shooters

Reaction Score
It seems we're always a shooter short, or a rebounder short, or a dunker short, or a passer short, or a coach on the floor short, or a high BBIQ guy short.

Reaction Score
Go recruit someone Butler has their eye on.

and our starting pg does a fine job getting the ball to players in position to shoot/dunk. Not his fault they can’t convert open looks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom