MO stuns SC (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

MO stuns SC (merged thread)

Reaction Score
After SC’s strong start to the season, I think many WBB fans felt that it was SC at the top and everyone else fighting for #2. If it wasn’t clear beforehand, Mizzou’s victory yesterday made it absolutely clear that WBB is fast approaching parity. SC is loaded to be sure. But if an unranked Mizzou can knock off the Gamecocks, then SC’s road to a second national championship is certainly not assured.
...and Mizz had a depleted roster to boot.

Reaction Score
It’s always interesting to me how much folks get bent out of shape about rankings. They mean nothing; they just are a fun way to track the sport … sorta like brscketology.

If you don’t think SC is the best team then don’t rank them 1 in your poll. I can’t think of anyone I consider better right now.

And btw Massey agrees with SC still #1 by an incredibly wide margin. The gap between 1 and 2 is larger than the gap between 2 and 10.

1. SC 949
  2. AZ 898
  3. Ncs 897
  4. TX 894
  5. NC 892
  6. Stan 892
  7. Lou 882

Reaction Score
The thing that hurt South Carolina in this game was their shooting, mostly their outside shooting, which has always been in question. Once Missouri was triple teaming Boston & Cardoso, Missouri was daring South Carolina to make those shots. Missouri spread the floor and with those drives or drive and kick actions, they made their shots. Great game by both teams.

Reaction Score
It’s always interesting to me how much folks get bent out of shape about rankings. They mean nothing; they just are a fun way to track the sport … sorta like brscketology.

If you don’t think SC is the best team then don’t rank them 1 in your poll. I can’t think of anyone I consider better right now.

And btw Massey agrees with SC still #1 by an incredibly wide margin. The gap between 1 and 2 is larger than the gap between 2 and 10.

1. SC 949
  2. AZ 898
  3. Ncs 897
  4. TX 894
  5. NC 892
  6. Stan 892
  7. Lou 882

Well said about the rankings.

Reaction Score
I really don't think SC will lose the #1 ranking. They've looked so good against everyone else, and we all are susceptible of a bad game once in a while. I don't think that anyone else has shown as much as them in order to take that ranking away from them. BTW, the ending was really strange. Missouri scored with .1 second on the clock. There is no way a score can be made with less then .3, but Missouri called time out. But what was really strange is that SC called time out after the Missouri time out. What was the point of any of that? I get that the Missouri coach was so pumped by the fact they were going to beat the top team, and not thinking just wanted to put all her ducks in a row. But why did Dawn call a time out after, to Mock her? Not good sportsmanship.
Probably to draw up the last play, which was perfectly executed. However, Boston cannot catch the ball, which obviously is a player's instinct, had she just tipped it, who knows? A VERY difficult maneuver to be sure but once you catch the ball the play is over.

Reaction Score
Why no congratulations at the end of the game? Covid protocol or poor sportsmanship??

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Beercats: my bad...my typing got ahead of my thinking.

Reaction Score
Trivia: when is the last time the #1 ranked team lost to an unranked opponent?
Thanks to whoever mentioned it — Colorado’s win over Stanford last year (also in OT).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Probably to draw up the last play, which was perfectly executed. However, Boston cannot catch the ball, which obviously is a player's instinct, had she just tipped it, who knows? A VERY difficult maneuver to be sure but once you catch the ball the play is over.
The other thing going on during that play was that Mizzou’s players were likely told, don’t even touch a SC player and give them a chance to win the game on the foul line. That was a smart move by Mizzou’s coach, knowing it was impossible to catch and release in less than 0.1 seconds. So Boston’s shot was not really defended by design.

Reaction Score
The other thing going on during that play was that Mizzou’s players were likely told, don’t even touch a SC player and give them a chance to win the game on the foul line. That was a smart move by Mizzou’s coach, knowing it was impossible to catch and release in less than 0.1 seconds. So Boston’s shot was not really defended by design.
Yes I watch this last play at least 10 times. When the ball was released on air it is already 0.1 sec. So no matter weather Boston catches it or not the game is over.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was beginning to wonder if South Carolina could run the table. In nearly all of their 7 losses over the past 3 seasons--and several near-losses--the formula has been that the guards take too many shots and shoot too low a percentage. Usually, that combines with Boston not getting enough shots, but AB had 14 shots last night. But when Cook and Henderson combine for 30 shots and shoot about 30% or so, the team is vulnerable.

Reaction Score
Catching up on all the scores. Duke loses by 22 to "unranked" VT. Should Duke drop in the polls (apply the same argument)?
Yes because we have a lot less info about Duke, so this result is illuminating.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
seriously?
UConn looked awful in that game. And most significantly just folded down the stretch, and couldnt do anything. That was demoralizing. If they had fought but lost I wouldn't have had as many concerns as I did.

I didnt see the 1st half tonight but SC didnt look terrible in what I saw -- they definitely executed poorly at times, but they got a lot of easy baskets and they played a team that was having a good night.
Got it. UConn had one day of practice without the best player in the country, also missing a few other key pieces against a decent team and that is your take. Okay.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder if SC started like a lion and know coming back to reality. Yeah SC is a very good team and has won a few close games against some pretty good teams. As the season progresses we will see which teams get better and who the top 5 teams are. I still think a team has to have good guards and a really good point guard to win it all.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Got it. UConn had one day of practice without the best player in the country, also missing a few other key pieces against a decent team and that is your take. Okay.
Well I think UConn learned alot loosing Paige. They learned they all need to step up and play their game. They can no longer depend on Paige they now need to depend on themselves to make plays and make things happen for the team. Caroline and Dorka stepped up. We need more until our injured players come back. UConn also learned they need to get their non starters playtime which will expose their weaknesses and positives and both those skills need to be worked on and improved. UConn will now become more then just the Paige show. With Paige on the floor things open up for other players. Paige makes plays and makes things happen. With Paige out they havent. Uconn is struggling because they have 4 good players injured. UConn is struggling because they depended to much on Paige. The GA game was sad.

SC lost a game to a non ranked team with players out. They should fall in the rankings even if they are the best team right now in WCBB. They lost unlike UConn who lost missing several key players. The future will tell us who is number 1 and they will have to earn it. There are alot of good teams in WCBB this season with alot of good coaches. The best team may not necessarily be ranked number 1 and we will learn that as the season moves on. This Covid thing will have something to do with it too. All the games that need to be made up with be squashed in the schedule causing problems in-between games. If the season is not extended this is a huge problem down the road.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The thing that hurt South Carolina in this game was their shooting, mostly their outside shooting, which has always been in question. Once Missouri was triple teaming Boston & Cardoso, Missouri was daring South Carolina to make those shots. Missouri spread the floor and with those drives or drive and kick actions, they made their shots. Great game by both teams.
Your first sentence sounds like you are describing UConn. As far as the Massey rankings, there is no way NC is better than Stanford or Louisville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom