MO stuns SC (merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

MO stuns SC (merged thread)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
First and foremost....Happy New Year to all. I hope your 2022 brings you good health, success, joy and love. It really hurts that this is the second season that is being impacted by this virus. I believe that this variant will be fast moving, intense and burn out quickly. Maybe peak in mid-January and begin to disappear at the end of January.

Making up lost games will become difficult but I believe most of the games will be made up. I have been rather amused at the folks who think that if the number one team loses to an unranked team who was minus their best player that their place in the rankings will remain unchanged. I know it was a close game and the Basketball gods were not friendly to South Carolina but, c'mon they are not supposed to lose a game like that. They have to pay a price for that loss...the integrity of the polls depends on it. I don't think the slap down will be that severe...I think they drop one spot because the committee will reward their previous record.

However, we must be cognizant of what the committee did to UConn...hey did UConn deserve to go down in the rankings that would be an emphatic yes...but, losing to Louisville (6) while UConn was ranked (7) by 5 points in a close game with 6 players gone from the roster (2 in the transfer portal and 4 to the injury bug) did not deserve a 4 place drop out of the top 10. That in my opinion was a "kick them while they are down" move by the powers that be.

I am not even saying that UConn in its current condition doesn't deserve to be out of the top ten. They are basically playing with 6 players. What I am saying is that based on a single game loss to drop four spots after losing in a close game to a team that is ranked higher than you while your best player and arguably 3 players that can come in and contribute is a tad of an overkill that would only be magnified if the committee doesn't at least penalize SC by dropping them at least one spot for losing to an unranked team who was short handed.

Reaction Score
I really don't think SC will lose the #1 ranking. They've looked so good against everyone else, and we all are susceptible of a bad game once in a while. I don't think that anyone else has shown as much as them in order to take that ranking away from them. BTW, the ending was really strange. Missouri scored with .1 second on the clock. There is no way a score can be made with less then .3, but Missouri called time out. But what was really strange is that SC called time out after the Missouri time out. What was the point of any of that? I get that the Missouri coach was so pumped by the fact they were going to beat the top team, and not thinking just wanted to put all her ducks in a row. But why did Dawn call a time out after, to Mock her? Not good sportsmanship.
Most likely Dawn called timeout after seeing the Missouri defensive set up seen it done plenty of times in sports

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
However, we must be cognizant of what the committee did to UConn...hey did UConn deserve to go down in the rankings that would be an emphatic yes...but, losing to Louisville (6) while UConn was ranked (7) by 5 points in a close game with 6 players gone from the roster (2 in the transfer portal and 4 to the injury bug) did not deserve a 4 place drop out of the top 10. That in my opinion was a "kick them while they are down" move by the powers that be.
The committee? Do you mean the selection committee? They have zero to do with polls - those are voted on by the press (AP poll) or by coaches. And polls have zero to do with seeding for the NCAA tournament. Polls are for fan bragging rights only

Reaction Score
First and foremost....Happy New Year to all. I hope your 2022 brings you good health, success, joy and love. It really hurts that this is the second season that is being impacted by this virus. I believe that this variant will be fast moving, intense and burn out quickly. Maybe peak in mid-January and begin to disappear at the end of January.

Making up lost games will become difficult but I believe most of the games will be made up. I have been rather amused at the folks who think that if the number one team loses to an unranked team who was minus their best player that their place in the rankings will remain unchanged. I know it was a close game and the Basketball gods were not friendly to South Carolina but, c'mon they are not supposed to lose a game like that. They have to pay a price for that loss...the integrity of the polls depends on it. I don't think the slap down will be that severe...I think they drop one spot because the committee will reward their previous record.

I am not even saying that UConn in its current condition doesn't deserve to be out of the top ten. They are basically playing with 6 players. What I am saying is that based on a single game loss to drop four spots after losing in a close game to a team that is ranked higher than you while your best player and arguably 3 players that can come in and contribute is a tad of an overkill that would only be magnified if the committee doesn't at least penalize SC by dropping them at least one spot for losing to an unranked team who was short handed.
This was ESPN and all those voters to finally try to show their dislike and jealousy of UConn because of their Long time domination!!!!

Reaction Score

It's not so much dropping a spot but how many pts you lose in the vote. When UConn lost to Louis. they had been tied in the pts with Tenn. That means that going into the games vs Stan & Louis they were equal. Both lose, UConn at a neutral site and Tenn at home. UConn dropped 100 pts in the vote while Tenn dropped 50.

SCar was about 70 pts ahead of No 2. I expect they will lose some of their lead but still be No 1.

Reaction Score
SC didn't help themselves in this game. I'm not a mind reader, but they looked complacent. They are good enough to win when everything isn't clicking and they seemed determined to carry out that plan...get a "W" and go home without breaking a sweat. Mizzou kids played really well. Having said that...officials get a D here. Again...the flopping needs to be addressed. And don't blow a whistle because someone launches themselves on the floor or snaps their head back without seeing actual contact. On one play Saxton slipped and fell while guarding a player driving to the basket. She never touched the driving player and was called for a foul!

Reaction Score
just saw the game....the final play in for SC....one tenth of a second..... lob to Boston under the basket.... and she caught it and put it in .... of course only a tip in would be legal.... and Boston extended her arms like a wide receiver trying to get a pass interference... thought was so interesting because 2 timeouts were directly before that play in.... did Dawn have a coaching lapse or was Boston not listening.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
just saw the game....the final play in for SC....one tenth of a second..... lob to Boston under the basket.... and she caught it and put it in .... of course only a tip in would be legal.... and Boston extended her arms like a wide receiver trying to get a pass interference... thought was so interesting because 2 timeouts were directly before that play in.... did Dawn have a coaching lapse or was Boston not listening.
I did something last night that I never thought I would never do...I watched the replay of a WBB game where UConn wasn't playing!!! I even find it hard to watch other team's games live.
Anyways, I had to laugh at Boston following the final SC play. Did she actually not know that she couldn't score with only 0.1 left? I guess she was hoping that at least one of the refs didn't know the rules or Dee Kantner would miraculously show up to overturn the game refs. :):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I did something last night that I never thought I would never do...I watched the replay of a WBB game where UConn wasn't playing!!! I even find it hard to watch other team's games live.
Anyways, I had to laugh at Boston following the final SC play. Did she actually not know that she couldn't score with only 0.1 left? I guess she was hoping that at least one of the refs didn't know the rules or Dee Kantner would miraculously show up to overturn the game refs. :):rolleyes:
I love Boston's reaction as well. Hey, it was worth a shot on her part to try. You never know. :D

Reaction Score
This was ESPN and all those voters to finally try to show their dislike and jealousy of UConn because of their Long time domination!!!!

Can you explain why ESPN dislikes and is jealous of UConn?

Reaction Score
And then former SC players making tweets about how Mizzou is the hardest place to play because of this and that and shading the fans. Between Dawn “the ball tho” Staley and this, is this pretty on par for how SC usually rationalizes losses??

Reaction Score
I should have said the voters on the ESPN ballot.A short handed team loses 2 games to good teams. I wonder if it was Aaliyah Boston for South Carolina how far would they have fallen

Reaction Score

It's not a question of punishing or rewarding. It's a question of adding new data—does this game, and everything else all the other contenders have done, change what you think about who is better than who. It seems pretty reasonable to see this game and think SC is still probably the best team in the country at the moment.

Reaction Score
And then former SC players making tweets about how Mizzou is the hardest place to play because of this and that and shading the fans. Between Dawn “the ball tho” Staley and this, is this pretty on par for how SC usually rationalizes losses??
Andraya carter and other nonSC players made similar comments about Columbia.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Andraya carter and other nonSC players made similar comments about Columbia.
Both Columbias are tough places to play. And there's history between SC and Mizzou, so the crowds are more amped up than usual when those teams play each other. I don't see it as the SC players making excuses as much as a general and truthful comment.

Reaction Score
And for hanging banners.
Do you guys give Duke a hard time about the #1 in the polls banners from years UConn won the NationalChampionship or is that reserved for a banner that is actually a #1 final poll where there was no tournament? Duke has 2 hanging. IDK about other programs, nor do I care, but just wondering why two years later it’s still a big deal.

Reaction Score
There is some really bad history between SC and Missouri…if you don’t know the history then you don’t really understand the comments. It has nothing to do about it being an excuse. There have been fist fights and lawsuits and firings over happenings between these two WBB programs. It started back when A’ja played and has continued.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Do you guys give Duke a hard time about the #1 in the polls banners from years UConn won the NationalChampionship or is that reserved for a banner that is actually a #1 final poll where there was no tournament? Duke has 2 hanging. IDK about other programs, nor do I care, but just wondering why two years later it’s still a big deal.

Hey... hey... let's leave Duke outta this... thanks.

Reaction Score
Hey... hey... let's leave Duke outta this... thanks.
But you can vouch for it. There are TWO banners hanging there in the rafters at Duke. One says AP Final National Ranking 1 2004 and the other says USA Today Women's Final National Ranking 1 2003. In both of those years UConn beat Tennessee for the National Championship. At least the banner in SC is for a year that there was NO National Champion and they were actually ranked #1 in ALL the polls to end the year. LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It'll probably become iconic because it always draws SCar fan reactions when it's mentioned. Be happy you don't have to live with accusations of cheating. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom