MO stuns SC (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

MO stuns SC (merged thread)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes I watch this last play at least 10 times. When the ball was released on air it is already 0.1 sec. So no matter weather Boston catches it or not the game is over.
When the ball was released, the clock was still at 0.1 and stayed that way until the ball was touched. Boston had time to tap the ball in but not catch it. The clock did not start until it was touched, and your last sentence sounds as if you thought it started when the ball was released. I apologize if that is not what you thought.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My take: This was a coaching loss. I really respect Dawn as an elite coach but she messed up leaving Zia Cooke in that game for most time when she clearly had lost confidence in her shot. Normally, Zia’s shot is in rhythm but last night she was hesitant to shoot. She has been struggling with her shot and it was evident to me she was still struggling. Dawn wanted to get her back in the groove and stayed with her far too long. Zia is an integral part of that team and unless she can regain confidence SC may suffer the consequences in future games. As for the SEC, the conference is obviously stronger this year with SC, Tenn, LSU, Missouri, TA&M, UGA, and Kentucky all being top 25.
And Vanderbilt is better! :D

Reaction Score
When the ball was released, the clock was still at 0.1 and stayed that way until the ball was touched. Boston had time to tap the ball in but not catch it. The clock did not start until it was touched, and your last sentence sounds as if you thought it started when the ball was released. I apologize if that is not what you thought.
I think you are right. Sorry I miss this one, my bad.
"The clock runs whenever the ball is in play. ... When the ball is inbound, the clock starts once a player touches the ball. In the NBA the clock stops after a made shot during the last two minutes of the game and overtime. For college it stops during the last minute of the game and overtime."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well I think UConn learned alot loosing Paige. They learned they all need to step up and play their game. They can no longer depend on Paige they now need to depend on themselves to make plays and make things happen for the team. Caroline and Dorka stepped up. We need more until our injured players come back. UConn also learned they need to get their non starters playtime which will expose their weaknesses and positives and both those skills need to be worked on and improved. UConn will now become more then just the Paige show. With Paige on the floor things open up for other players. Paige makes plays and makes things happen. With Paige out they havent. Uconn is struggling because they have 4 good players injured. UConn is struggling because they depended to much on Paige. The GA game was sad.

Just me I suppose, but the team basically had one day to adjust with the best player in college ball getting zero minutes. No Nika either. Putting Westbrook in a role she isn’t suited to and having an impact on everyone else. Note that Dorka is now playing worlds different from the GT game and the team has adjusted generally and still awaiting the return of some pieces that on paper would improve us maybe considerably. If the issue is us versus South Carolina, give them one day to adjust without out Boston and see how their offense goes. Using our game vs GTech is pretty worthless for comparison purposes as is any point that we didn’t look good. The unprovable, but I’d guess we wouldn’t lose to GTech now even with none of the missing pieces still out.

Reaction Score
What has happened to Cook and Henderson ? Their offensive games seemed to have really declined. Too much emphasis on post play ?
They were a combined 6 of 31 in fga in this game.
Cook is shooting 37% in fga for the year and only 27% from 3.
Cooke is super athletic and confident. But I’ve always seen her as incredibly inconsistent shooting the ball. It’s one of the things that makes South Carolina vulnerable.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just so I understand the rule going forward...for men and women:

If the clock shows 1/10 of a second, can a team score by tipping the ball...touching it but not grasping it?
Possibly a dunk...or a tipped ball directing it to the basket. Not sure but I think the NBA says that basket is not allowed.
You can understand that they might be concerned about a home court timer very slightly delaying the clock and then as the refs look at reply maybe not thinking that they see a delay or not thinking any delay mattered.

Somewhere I thought I read that 3/10 of a second was the allowable shot?

Bottom line: in the NCAA can a player get off a shot legally with 1/10 second left or is ANY such shot simply erased...made or missed?

Somewhere in this land we must have a Boneyard rules expert.

Reaction Score
Just so I understand the rule going forward...for men and women:

If the clock shows 1/10 of a second, can a team score by tipping the ball...touching it but not grasping it?
Possibly a dunk...or a tipped ball directing it to the basket. Not sure but I think the NBA says that basket is not allowed.
You can understand that they might be concerned about a home court timer very slightly delaying the clock and then as the refs look at reply maybe not thinking that they see a delay or not thinking any delay mattered.

Somewhere I thought I read that 3/10 of a second was the allowable shot?

Bottom line: in the NCAA can a player get off a shot legally with 1/10 second left or is ANY such shot simply erased...made or missed?

Somewhere in this land we must have a Boneyard rules expert.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I played back that sequence frame by frame on the DVR. The clock was showing zero and the backboard was lit up red before Boston put the shot up.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
It started as soon as it hit Boston's hands. She then had to shoot it. That took too long.
Yup. In slow-motion, Boston crouched down before shooting. Perhaps, if she had been able to just tap it in, the basket might have counted.

Reaction Score
Catching up on all the scores. Duke loses by 22 to "unranked" VT. Should Duke drop in the polls (apply the same argument)?
I think it’s different though. VT was ranked to start the season they’re no slouch of a team. Whereas Mizzou was severely depleted and didn’t have their best player while SC was at full strength and still lost. SC imo should definitely drop at least a spot in the polls it’s a bad loss no matter how anyone flips it.

Reaction Score
SC imo should definitely drop at least a spot in the polls it’s a bad loss no matter how anyone flips it.
Ok so who should be ranked higher?

I suppose one could argue that Stan played them very close on the road, and after MO, Stan is now better. I could think about that.

AZ, Lou I could consider, but tough.
And if you had Stan #2 last week, what would be the rationale for having them get jumped? AZ and Stan did not play. Lou beat BC.

Reaction Score
Ok so who should be ranked higher?

I suppose one could argue that Stan played them very close on the road, and after MO, Stan is now better. I could think about that.

AZ, Lou I could consider, but tough.
And if you had Stan #2 last week, what would be the rationale for having them get jumped? AZ and Stan did not play. Lou beat BC.
AZ considering they’re undefeated and have the head to head with Lou.

sun

Reaction Score
Rule 5-1.19 was displayed on the screen at the 1:42:38 mark, which states:

0.3 second scoring requirements
When play resumes by a throw-in or free throw with 0.3 seconds or less on game clock, a player...

• may not hold the ball and attempt a shot
  • may only score by means of a tip or tap.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I really don't think SC will lose the #1 ranking. They've looked so good against everyone else, and we all are susceptible of a bad game once in a while. I don't think that anyone else has shown as much as them in order to take that ranking away from them. BTW, the ending was really strange. Missouri scored with .1 second on the clock. There is no way a score can be made with less then .3, but Missouri called time out. But what was really strange is that SC called time out after the Missouri time out. What was the point of any of that? I get that the Missouri coach was so pumped by the fact they were going to beat the top team, and not thinking just wanted to put all her ducks in a row. But why did Dawn call a time out after, to Mock her? Not good sportsmanship.
I believe SC called the time out so they can advance the ball to the front court. If only MO. called the time out, the ball would have been inbounded in the back court. Not that it matters, but only a lob tip would be allowed as a score with .01 left on the clock. I would have had SC players try their best to draw a foul(theatrics are needed.)

On the last play for MO, notice the big for MO #0, stood out by the 3 point line, hoping to draw Boston out to her and away from the lane. Boston, watched her, and then got back to the paint when she saw what was happening. It might have been a second too late to stop the lay up. The Big for MO, that I mentioned above, played for SC last year. I dont believe she has taken a 3 pointer this year, and maybe only one 3 pointer last year. Good play calling by the MO. coach.

Reaction Score
I believe SC called the time out so they can advance the ball to the front court. If only MO. called the time out, the ball would have been inbounded in the back court. Not that it matters, but only a lob tip would be allowed as a score with .01 left on the clock. I would have had SC players try their best to draw a foul(theatrics are needed.)

On the last play for MO, notice the big for MO #0, stood out by the 3 point line, hoping to draw Boston out to her and away from the lane. Boston, watched her, and then got back to the paint when she saw what was happening. It might have been a second too late to stop the lay up. The Big for MO, that I mentioned above, played for SC last year. I dont believe she has taken a 3 pointer this year, and maybe only one 3 pointer last year. Good play calling by the MO. coach.
Ladazhia wiliams. She transferred from SC following the 2018-19 season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I really don't think SC will lose the #1 ranking. They've looked so good against everyone else, and we all are susceptible of a bad game once in a while. I don't think that anyone else has shown as much as them in order to take that ranking away from them. BTW, the ending was really strange. Missouri scored with .1 second on the clock. There is no way a score can be made with less then .3, but Missouri called time out. But what was really strange is that SC called time out after the Missouri time out. What was the point of any of that? I get that the Missouri coach was so pumped by the fact they were going to beat the top team, and not thinking just wanted to put all her ducks in a row. But why did Dawn call a time out after, to Mock her? Not good sportsmanship.
You ask why Dawn called a time out which means you don't know why she did. So, why guess and say something negative about it when you don't know the real reason? What did it have to do with sportsmanship?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
You ask why Dawn called a time out which means you don't know why she did. So, why guess and say something negative about it when you don't know the real reason? What did it have to do with sportsmanship?
Didn't you read what I said? According to the rules, it is impossible to score with .1 on the clock. She did not need to call a timeout with .1 left. I said if she did it because the Missouri coach did, then she may have been mocking her. If that is what she did, then that would be poor sportsmanship. Didn't you ever speculate before, or do you only post when you know the answer?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Didn't you read what I said? According to the rules, it is impossible to score with .1 on the clock. She did not need to call a timeout with .1 left. I said if she did it because the Missouri coach did, then she may have been mocking her. If that is what she did, then that would be poor sportsmanship. Didn't you ever speculate before, or do you only post when you know the answer?
I don't think that is the rule in the NCAA - apparently they can tap it in. As per Rebecca and others. It IS the rule in the pros (at least the men's side and I think the "W"). Also, and regardless, it was time enough to be fouled.

Reaction Score
Yes I watch this last play at least 10 times. When the ball was released on air it is already 0.1 sec. So no matter weather Boston catches it or not the game is over.
Boston could have tipped the ball, but to re-direct it into the basket when it is moving away from the basket is beyond difficult to say the least. That is why Missouri stacked the lane on the left side so the momentum of the ball would have to be reversed on a tip.

Reaction Score
I'm not disputing your account of the UConn-GT game in the slightest. Watching that game was for me the closest thing to Misery with a capital M since that dude had his ankles broken by a sledgehammer.

I'm mainly pointing out the silly reaction among some to default to fawning over the SEC.

There's absolutely no way SC, with all its starters and all its depth, should have lost to a team ranked #50 in Massey that was missing its best player plus several others. Just because SC kept it closer down the stretch doesn't IMO make it a "better" loss.
Put me in the category of "fawning over the SEC". Look at the numbers. They have 5-6 teams with a legitimate shot at winning the NC. They are clearly the strongest conference in women's college basketball. Compare that to the Big East. They are incomparable, and the big east is stronger than normal this year.

Reaction Score
Seemed like average to good job coaching by Dawn. Brilliant job by Missouri. SC was down most of the last 10 minutes but Dawn got clutch plays from several players to get her team in the lead with one second left. Classic set of screens and brilliant drive to win game for Missouri. Anyone who loves high motion offensive basketball should watch this game. What has been suggested would work well for this year's UConn team (i.e. double screens, high low passing, etc.), kept Boston and the other SC bigs moving on defense and may have tired out the SC guards and contributed to their horrid shooting.
High motion offense is exactly what Uconn needs to beat them as well. That and a prayer that SC will miss their 3 pointers at the same rate. No doubt though, the way to beat them is make them shoot jump shots, block out and rebound. Keep turnovers to a minimum and make our shots. Pray they miss theirs. It seems Cooke is suffering from "pressure" disease. She's got a lot on her plate right now.

Reaction Score
I doubt it was to mock her. Maybe Dawn needed to finish telling her team something. There’s always a chance a foul is called. Why just assume it was poor sportsmanship?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom