MO stuns SC (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MO stuns SC (merged thread)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
seriously?
UConn looked awful in that game. And most significantly just folded down the stretch, and couldnt do anything. That was demoralizing. If they had fought but lost I wouldn't have had as many concerns as I did.

I didnt see the 1st half tonight but SC didnt look terrible in what I saw -- they definitely executed poorly at times, but they got a lot of easy baskets and they played a team that was having a good night.
I'm not disputing your account of the UConn-GT game in the slightest. Watching that game was for me the closest thing to Misery with a capital M since that dude had his ankles broken by a sledgehammer.

I'm mainly pointing out the silly reaction among some to default to fawning over the SEC.

There's absolutely no way SC, with all its starters and all its depth, should have lost to a team ranked #50 in Massey that was missing its best player plus several others. Just because SC kept it closer down the stretch doesn't IMO make it a "better" loss.

Reaction Score
There's absolutely no way SC, with all its starters and all its depth, should have lost to a team ranked #50 in Massey that was missing its best player plus several others. Just because SC kept it closer down the stretch doesn't IMO make it a "better" loss.
Completely agree. I think it’s especially bad given Missouri was missing Blackwell and additional depth.

Side note, Missouri can definitely cause some trouble if they are clicking. They Honestly should have prob beaten Baylor at their place earlier this year (who exactly hasn’t been impressive either). Then they turn around and got taken to the woodshed by Missouri St. Not sure if the consistency is there but they definitely seem much improved this season.

Reaction Score
Missouri is a well coached team, always has been. Pingeton seems to always get the best out of her groups, the team she has now had their growing pains but it looks like they are finally starting to turn a corner.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UConn loses to an unranked team right after losing Paige. Everyone: "OMG WTH is wrong with UConn???"

SC, with all its starters healthy and playing, loses to a much worse unranked team that's missing its best player. Everyone: "Wow the SEC is an incredibly tough and deep conference!"

:mad::confused:Head bang

If you consider "everyone" to be me (who thought the SEC was very strong well before tonight) and one other poster on this 50 post thread, then yes, "everyone" is saying that.

Comparing the GT loss to this loss is comparing apples to oranges. UCONN fans had fears realized in their first game without Paige and projected that fear thinking about the next 2-3 months ahead without her. SC had a bad loss tonight but they are a proven squad with better wins than any other program in the country, so there isn't reason to panic. Had Boston been out for the year and this was their first game without her, I think you'd see fans in panic mode about SC's season being in jeopardy.

Reaction Score
Zero chance SC stays #1. They lost to an unranked team who was missing their best player. They probably drop to 3 or so.
Doubtful like @Vowelguy stated they have too many top 5 top 10 and top 15 wins to drop to #2. No one else's resume comes close

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If you consider "everyone" to be me (who thought the SEC was very strong well before tonight) and one other poster on this 50 post thread, then yes, "everyone" is saying that.

Comparing the GT loss to this loss is comparing apples to oranges. UCONN fans had fears realized in their first game without Paige and projected that fear thinking about the next 2-3 months ahead without her. SC had a bad loss tonight but they are a proven squad with better wins than any other program in the country, so there isn't reason to panic. Had Boston been out for the year and this was their first game without her, I think you'd see fans in panic mode about SC's season being in jeopardy.
That can just as easily be flipped the other way.

UConn was expected to struggle without Paige. The question was how much (and the answer, especially in game one, was emphatically "a lot"). As bad as it's been, at least the hope of getting players healthy again is, for the optimists, readily on hand.

What's South Carolina's excuse? All their big guns were in place. Which can't even be said about the 50th-ranked team they lost to. Something went very wrong, and the explanation isn't as easy or apparent as having their best player suddenly unavailable.

I'm not saying anyone should panic. Of course not. I still consider SC the clear favorite. But I'm sorry, this is a bad loss and it's just downright lazy to deflect that fact into "wow the SEC is tough". Missouri had done nothing in the nonconference to even look like a sure bet to make the NCAA tournament. No wins over the top 100 and got creamed by Missouri State.

Reaction Score
SC are not a great shooting team from the floor or free throw line, but they get so many offensive rebounds that it masks some of there flaws. Mizz guards hit open shots which allowed them space to drive to the rim late it the game. A real gritty, gutsy performance by Mizz, And just like that Women's college bball is wide open. No one is unbeatable and I suspect at least 3 losses by most of the traditional elite teams this year. Buckle Up!!!

Reaction Score
did people forget last season Stanford lost at Colorado? Colorado did they even get ranked? This is the definition of a letdown game. Play so many tough opponents and then have to go on a middle of the week trip to Missouri which is not a short flight. Also I agree with Arizona being #1. They are undefeated and have looked the part.

Reaction Score
SC stays number one if anyone is paying attention. Any team can get beat on any given night if their guards hit less than 20% of 3 pointers. It's statistics. It's going to happen eventually, and that is the key to beating SC. You have to live or die from the 3 point line. SC is a bigger, better, more physical team. Your best shot is to beat them with some material advantage, such as skill. Especially when points in the paint are very hard earned.

Reaction Score
Minus Boston’s 7-14 the rest of the team shot 22-62. Sounds like the rest of the team took the night off.
Won battle on the boards, but couldn’t put the ball in the hole.
Deserve a temporary knock off of the #1 spot IMHO.
If they keep winning , back on top in a week or two.

Reaction Score

UConn was expected to struggle without Paige. The question was how much (and the answer, especially in game one, was emphatically "a lot"). As bad as it's been, at least the hope of getting players healthy again is, for the optimists, readily on hand.

What's South Carolina's excuse? All their big guns were in place. Which can't even be said about the 50th-ranked team they lost to. Something went very wrong, and the explanation isn't as easy or apparent as having their best player suddenly unavailable.

I'm not saying anyone should panic. Of course not. I still consider SC the clear favorite. But I'm sorry, this is a bad loss and it's just downright lazy to deflect that fact into "wow the SEC is tough". Missouri had done nothing in the nonconference to even look like a sure bet to make the NCAA tournament. No wins over the top 100 and got creamed by Missouri State.

Easy. The answer is maybe Missouri is a better team than the “rankings” show. Pingeton can coach and her teams always execute, usually their losses are due to poor shooting nights not because she was outcoached. They were a few bad calls away from beating Baylor in Waco.

The SEC is a pretty deep conference and Missouri is extremely well coached. This is a disappointing loss for South Carolina considering what Missouri was missing, but this is a much improved team from last year simply because they appear to have figured who they are as players. From the games I saw last year, you could see the potential. To act like they are some cream puff is a little off base.

Reaction Score
lol at having Louisville ranked ahead of Arizona when Arizona beat them. Hopefully they lose at Georgia Tech, team is so overrated.

Reaction Score
My take from the loss is that SC is not as dominate as most have stated. Yes, they have beat all comers to this point but I would say not in a dominant fashion. Not like a dominant team of the past who would have won by 30. I would say they only click for maybe half of the game at best. Eventually, this will come back to bite you and it did. As far as being number one - I would say any team that has not lost to an unranked team is a fair candidate. If it was us in that situation I would think most of us would not want or think we should be ranked number 1.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
SC has not been dominant offensively mostly because of Cooke’s poor shooting. She takes a lot of shots and thus far has been missing a lot. Sometimes offensive rebounds and put-backs aren’t enough.

SC has been dominant defensively but I was surprised by how often Mizzou’s guards scored driving to the basket.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I really don't think SC will lose the #1 ranking. They've looked so good against everyone else, and we all are susceptible of a bad game once in a while. I don't think that anyone else has shown as much as them in order to take that ranking away from them. BTW, the ending was really strange. Missouri scored with .1 second on the clock. There is no way a score can be made with less then .3, but Missouri called time out. But what was really strange is that SC called time out after the Missouri time out. What was the point of any of that? I get that the Missouri coach was so pumped by the fact they were going to beat the top team, and not thinking just wanted to put all her ducks in a row. But why did Dawn call a time out after, to Mock her? Not good sportsmanship.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I assume the Mizzou coach was simply [forcefully] reminding his players to NOT foul...makes sense.
Uhh...Dawn already has used the ball for a reason in the loss to UConn last year...her TO was Plan B.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Crazy enough with Mizzou’s number 1 player player out cause of COVID, they knock off SC. Kudos to that squad and staff.
They are a tough minded group who have no quit in them. They could have folded in Q4 letting S. Caro. dominate but no they fought harder through the end.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I assume the Mizzou coach was simply [forcefully] reminding his players to NOT foul...makes sense.
Uhh...Dawn already has used the ball for a reason in the loss to UConn last year...her TO was Plan B.
1640957664957.png

Reaction Score
I do wish we had Cardoso...
I will live on this hill for years to come. Kamila went to absolutely the last place she should've gone for her development. It's not that Dawn can't develop her, because Wilson and Boston are two of the best WCBB bigs in the last ten years; but she can't play that much because her and Boston can't be on the court together for long stretches. I love Kamila and I know none of you care, but I am absolutely still devastated about the demise of Syracuse, being a resident here.

I would've loved her at UCONN, but the first place she should've looked was LSU. Kim would've done wonders with her.

Reaction Score

My take: This was a coaching loss. I really respect Dawn as an elite coach but she messed up leaving Zia Cooke in that game for most time when she clearly had lost confidence in her shot. Normally, Zia’s shot is in rhythm but last night she was hesitant to shoot. She has been struggling with her shot and it was evident to me she was still struggling. Dawn wanted to get her back in the groove and stayed with her far too long. Zia is an integral part of that team and unless she can regain confidence SC may suffer the consequences in future games. As for the SEC, the conference is obviously stronger this year with SC, Tenn, LSU, Missouri, TA&M, UGA, and Kentucky all being top 25.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
SC are not a great shooting team from the floor or free throw line, but they get so many offensive rebounds that it masks some of there flaws. Mizz guards hit open shots which allowed them space to drive to the rim late it the game. A real gritty, gutsy performance by Mizz, And just like that Women's college bball is wide open. No one is unbeatable and I suspect at least 3 losses by most of the traditional elite teams this year. Buckle Up!!!
Nice first post funkraider! your avatar is cute too!

Reaction Score
My take: This was a coaching loss. I really respect Dawn as an elite coach but she messed up leaving Zia Cooke in that game for most time when she clearly had lost confidence in her shot. Normally, Zia’s shot is in rhythm but last night she was hesitant to shoot. She has been struggling with her shot and it was evident to me she was still struggling. Dawn wanted to get her back in the groove and stayed with her far too long. Zia is an integral part of that team and unless she can regain confidence SC may suffer the consequences in future games. As for the SEC, the conference is obviously stronger this year with SC, Tenn, LSU, Missouri, TA&M, UGA, and Kentucky all being top 25.
Seemed like average to good job coaching by Dawn. Brilliant job by Missouri. SC was down most of the last 10 minutes but Dawn got clutch plays from several players to get her team in the lead with one second left. Classic set of screens and brilliant drive to win game for Missouri. Anyone who loves high motion offensive basketball should watch this game. What has been suggested would work well for this year's UConn team (i.e. double screens, high low passing, etc.), kept Boston and the other SC bigs moving on defense and may have tired out the SC guards and contributed to their horrid shooting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After SC’s strong start to the season, I think many WBB fans felt that it was SC at the top and everyone else fighting for #2. If it wasn’t clear beforehand, Mizzou’s victory yesterday made it absolutely clear that WBB is fast approaching parity. SC is loaded to be sure. But if an unranked Mizzou can knock off the Gamecocks, then SC’s road to a second national championship is certainly not assured.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom