SC
Boston with 21 points 12 rebounds 3 assists and 1 block
Cooke with 13 points 6 rebounds 2 assists 1 block
Beal with 4 points 4 rebounds 3 steals

Miss St
Jackson with 16 points 5 rebounds 1 steal
Mingo Young with 14 points 3 rebounds 2 steals
Matharu 10 points 2 steals

Hard to believe these are just freshmen players. Going to be a great foundation for the future of both programs.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
besides not having assists she played terrific! Especially in person she was cool as can be! I like her better than Taylor honestly...

I love her and expect she's going to be the starting PG over Taylor at some point. I just don't think now is that point.

My post was more about the negativity surrounding Taylor. I think it's way overdone by some.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
My post was more about the negativity surrounding Taylor. I think it's way overdone by some.

In Vic's mind, she's been doing everything he asked of her, so he's hardly disappointed with what she's doing. She's not scoring, but she's good at most of the other things.

I think we definitely need more than 2 points from Carter, but she's been playing better lately we'll see if in the rematch she can at least get 10 points and neutralize Boston just enough to where our guards can make up the rest of the ground.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Really entertaining back and forth game. Was rooting for MSU and thought a couple of calls were questionable against them but overall just a great WBB game this year. Really frustrating finish but great game for the SEC and women's basketball nonetheless.

Outstanding play by Harris and Boston for SC. Boston is already one of the very best posts in the country, her sheer size, hands and touch around the basket are elite. None of the MSU posts could keep up defending her or keeping her off the glass. Experience came through in the end with great play by Harris down the stretch. She's the top PG in the SEC this season.

Mississippi State looked really really good tonight offensively IMO. Their crop of guards are just outstanding at getting in the lane and hitting shots around the basket. Mingo Young was a star tonight, as was Jackson for much of the game. Matharu also came out of nowhere and just took over for a stretch in the 2nd half. This freshmen class is the real deal. Mississippi State hasn't been as consistent as South Carolina, so they need to bottle this effort and disappointment and bring more consistency throughout the SEC season. No reason they can't finish with just 1-2 losses and position themselves for a good seed in the NCAAs.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Miss St 5 Assists on 33 Made Baskets. Need I say more.

...did you watch the game? Their guards absolutely shredded SC's defense with the dribble drive and scored so many points in the paint without any post contribution. They shot almost 50% from the floor and scored 79 points. Assists does not automatically equate great offense. MSU's offensive attack tonight was stellar.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
...did you watch the game? Their guards absolutely shredded SC's defense with the dribble drive and scored so many points in the paint without any post contribution. They shot almost 50% from the floor and scored 79 points. Assists does not automatically equate great offense. MSU's offensive attack tonight was stellar.

Well said. Boston wasn't leaving her mark and challenging dribble drives much, so the guards took what was available.

Reaction Score
Boston is going to be scary over the course of her career. Holy cow. She already plays like a senior, I can't imagine her when she's actually one

Reaction Score
Boston is going to be scary over the course of her career. Holy cow. She already plays like a senior, I can't imagine her when she's actually one

maybe a little conditioning and really extending that jumper, which is already pretty good.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Mississippi State hasn't been as consistent as South Carolina, so they need to bottle this effort and disappointment and bring more consistency throughout the SEC season. No reason they can't finish with just 1-2 losses and position themselves for a good seed in the NCAAs.

I think we've been consistent. Both teams have dropped one game to teams they were supposed to beat. West Virginia and Indiana. WVU got thumped by Baylor and Indiana is weakening badly, so obviously those kind of teams don't have the legs to play an entire season.

I think both teams have been pretty consistent, but South Carolina obviously has a pedestal on us right now being that they're 2-0 against top 10 teams, and we're 0-2.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Just got home from the arena.

A few thoughts:

-Miss State is very good. Those guards will dribble drive you to death and absolutely torched our defense all night. Is State the best team we've played so far this season? It's easy to look at results and say so, but you have to remember.. these two teams are rivals. They know one another better than anybody so when they play you may as well throw the rankings away.

-Jackson, Mingo-Young, and Matharu....If you're a State fan then that's your future right there. They rose to the challenge tonight and that's great to see in young players

-Aliyah Boston, enough said. The sky is really the limit for her. A freshman and legitimately one of the best post players in the country. She's our anchor for the next few years and that feels good.

-Our seniors, Harris and KiKi were HUGE. I'm glad Harris had a great game tonight because she's definitely a pro and she showed it. A true point guard to the core.

-ZIA COOKE is fearless. Every program in the country wants players that thrive in big games and Cooke is just that. Her ceiling is scary high.

All in all, a great game.. great environment.. great result. State fans should be proud of their team tonight. It's amazing how talented the youth are for both teams.

Reaction Score
You must be an Ole Miss fan, Danberry is the heart and soul of this team!
Nope. LSU. N she did better and became more aggressive the second half. Maybe its just the fact that her and Taylor together isn't good. And it takes away from her game with Taylor being the ball handler. I don't get to watch state all the time. And when I do. I route for them. Her and Jaz last year had a great connection that I'm not seeing from her and Taylor.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think the Gamecocks felt a little pressure of their ranking tonight and MSU played a great game. Losing Victaria Saxton hurt; she was on crutches after the game, so I hope she's not out too long.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one confused at to why Wiggins got zero time in the 2nd half? She had 8 points with 3 rebounds in 8 minutes in the first half. Her length is disruptive defensive side as well. She was very successful in limited minutes. Its like the coaches forgot about her. This was a game I really thought we would see a heavier dose of her with her size and length.

I just don't understand the rotations sometimes.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Sorry Baylor fans.... I apologize our 2 point loss couldn't propel you to the #1 spot.
We accept your apology.
I had a 'The Baylor Lady Bears are the Number One Team in the Nation' post on the tip of my fingers.

Not to worry, the Dawgs left everything on the court. :)

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Am I the only one confused at to why Wiggins got zero time in the 2nd half? She had 8 points with 3 rebounds in 8 minutes in the first half. Her length is disruptive defensive side as well. This was a game I really thought we would see a heavier dose of her with her size and length.

I think it's just that there's too many players. Put in Wiggins and you lose a Matharu or Mingo-Young. We went 10 deep tonight... damn that depth Vic is building is some sick.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think we've been consistent. Both teams have dropped one game to teams they were supposed to beat. West Virginia and Indiana. WVU got thumped by Baylor and Indiana is weakening badly, so obviously those kind of teams don't have the legs to play an entire season.

I think both teams have been pretty consistent, but South Carolina obviously has a pedestal on us right now being that they're 2-0 against top 10 teams, and we're 0-2.

MSU has had some close calls against teams I think they should handily beat IMO like LSU, Georgia and Marquette. They played Stanford and SC neck and neck but the negative for MSU is they need a marquee win IMO to get a high seed and there arent many options left on their schedule, especially since A&M isnt looking good without Carter.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one confused at to why Wiggins got zero time in the 2nd half? She had 8 points with 3 rebounds in 8 minutes in the first half. Her length is disruptive defensive side as well. She was very successful in limited minutes. Its like the coaches forgot about her. This was a game I really thought we would see a heavier dose of her with her size and length.

If I remember correctly she subbed for C Bibby. In the second half C Bibby was rebounding very well and bodying M Herbert Harrigan on both ends of the court. I imagine he felt like C Bibby was the hot hand in the second half. However I agree X Wiggins was much better on the drives to the basket.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
MSU has had some close calls against teams I think they should handily beat IMO like LSU, Georgia and Marquette. They played Stanford and SC neck and neck but the negative for MSU is they need a marquee win IMO to get a high seed and there arent many options left on their schedule, especially since A&M isnt looking good without Carter.

At this point, I'm satisfied with a 2 seed. I'm far from gonna fight for seeding this year.... right now we're looking at the 3 line with a great chance to move up. There are some legitimate threats (A&M, Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky), but the main one will hopefully be the rematch with SC that NEEDS to happen win or lose that one.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If they win out against the teams they should beat, they'll be at least a 3 seed IMO, and in practical terms there's not usually a big difference between a 2 and a 3.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Helluva game. Boston still scary good, I wasn't aware of Cooke (now I am), and Herbert Harrigan seems stronger than in earlier years and Ty Harris almost as good as Crystal (don't quote statistics, I'm biased). But some rising stars on Miss. St. were very impressive, like Mingo-Young & Matharu; and Danberry might have found a way to win for Miss if she hadn't fouled out, though some of her decisions in her final minutes seemed dubious. Too bad UConn doesn't have an out of conference game with Miss. St. Glad the game got national coverage cause the Bama-Tenn game was one of those tight games that still looked like a traffic accident you want to look away from. Hope Tenn continues to play that way on Thursday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom