Mississippi St (10) @ South Carolina (1) - 1/20/20 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (10) @ South Carolina (1) - 1/20/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Barring something crazy later in the week, I plan to, as they were already neck and neck. I really wish Cox had been available for their non-conf tournament matchup - the lingering questions about woulda-coulda-shoulda make it hard for me to separate what are two very compelling overall #1 seeds, because the Baylor team I've been watching since Cox returned looks like a very, very legitimate top team.
I already had Baylor as #1. In fact I've had them there since Stanford's loss to Texas.

Reaction Score
We accept your apology.
I had a 'The Baylor Lady Bears are the Number One Team in the Nation' post on the tip of my fingers.

Not to worry, the Dawgs left everything on the court. :)
I believe Baylor is the number 1 team in the nation. I did not see the Baylor South Carolina game but I did see you guys against UConn and West Virginia. Baylor deserves number 1 ranking IMHO.

Reaction Score
Barring something crazy later in the week, I plan to, as they were already neck and neck. I really wish Cox had been available for their non-conf tournament matchup - the lingering questions about woulda-coulda-shoulda make it hard for me to separate what are two very compelling overall #1 seeds, because the Baylor team I've been watching since Cox returned looks like a very, very legitimate top team.
Are you an AP voter?

Reaction Score
I mean it really doesn’t matter to me or probably Dawn if Baylor were ranked #1 at this point. SC is striving to win the SEC and be placed in the Greenville regional. I highly doubt they care about being #1 mid January...

Reaction Score
I believe Baylor is the number 1 team in the nation. I did not see the Baylor South Carolina game but I did see you guys against UConn and West Virginia. Baylor deserves number 1 ranking IMHO.
If you go by the eye test maybe Baylor looks like the number 1 team. However if you look at the resume it is not even close. So I don't understand why you think they deserve it. SC did beat Baylor by 15 points. Maybe Cox would have made a difference but that we will never know.

Reaction Score
If you go by the eye test maybe Baylor looks like the number 1 team. However if you look at the resume it is not even close. So I don't understand why you think they deserve it. SC did beat Baylor by 15 points. Maybe Cox would have made a difference but that we will never know.
I go by the games that I see the teams play and the Baylor wins against UCONN and WVA really impressed me. Baylor, IMHO, has the best team that I have seen play.

Reaction Score
What an exciting game, the best I've seen this season so far! We had our chances but lost a lead and fell to a very good team on their home floor. Boston is outstanding and I didn't think Carter would be effective against her. Three of our own freshmen picked a good night to have some of their best games of the year. The backcourt is getting pretty crowded at MSU and I hope there are enough basketballs to go around.

We could be better than I originally thought or realized. So far the three losses are against the best teams we played but all were relatively close. If we play like this against the rest of our schedule and stay healthy then we shouldn't lose many more against the SEC and should be in the mix to keep hosting the first two rounds.

Congrats to SC. If all these freshmen tonight stay with these programs we could continue to have some great battles the next few years.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I go by the games that I see the teams play and the Baylor wins against UCONN and WVA really impressed me. Baylor, IMHO, has the best team that I have seen play.

So if the Baylor Women are #1 and the men are #1, has it ever happened (I suppose UConn?) that the same university has been #1 in the final polls before the tournament?

Reaction Score
I see S Carolina has over 13,000 in attendance yesterday. Well done. How are ticket prices down there for games? I assume they are they same $20+ we pay up here.

Reaction Score
So if the Baylor Women are #1 and the men are #1, has it ever happened (I suppose UConn?) that the same university has been #1 in the final polls before the tournament?
Move over UConn... there's a new basketball capital, and it's the Baylor Bears.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
As long as South Carolina gets the 1-seed in Greenville I could give a flying frisbee disc who's the overall #1.

Isn't that a done deal at this point?

Reaction Score
As long as South Carolina gets the 1-seed in Greenville I could give a flying frisbee disc who's the overall #1.

Unless South Carolina loses, they will be #1 in the polls and overall bracket at season’s end. I think a lot of SID’s and student assistants... I mean “coaches” are just assuming a loss to UConn.

Reaction Score
Match up - Smatch up !!! Why is Vic burying AEH on his bench in key games this season? She was good enough last season to gain major minutes and contributed greatly to their Final 4 run. What's happened??

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I sorta enjoy reading these game threads for non UConn games and seeing all our Keyboard Coaches giving other coaches their advice and sharing their knowledge and experiences.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Match up - Smatch up !!! Why is Vic burying AEH on his bench in key games this season? She was good enough last season to gain major minutes and contributed greatly to their Final 4 run. What's happened??
I believe that it was posted during the game that Vic doesn't play her when he wants specific defensive efforts.
I am too lazy to go back and look through this thread but obviously there are other Keyboard Coaches that feel your pain.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was a critical possession down the stretch where Boston comes to help off the dribble drive and Jessika Carter gets a wide open 8 footer out of it and misses.

I think that's probably why South Carolina was not inclined to help much early in the game. I sort of wonder whether that's how Carter gets her points and perhaps rebounds most nights.

Herbert-Harrigan getting back in transition and forcing that Danberry contested pull up is one of the biggest plays of the night.

South Carolina then did a nice job forcing Rickea Jackson into a somewhat difficult shot around the foul line off dribble drive in the ensuing possession.

South Carolina getting the lead was just a poor job by Miss State of defending a screen. Looked like Rickea Jackson on Harris getting screened by Boston. Carter flashes to help then fades and Jackson is slow, slow, slow getting back to Harris and she drills a jumper.

I actually thought that South Carolina would probably lose the game after Herbert-Harrigan and Cooke took those back to back shots. Thought both were not the best decisions and it just seemed like it was going to be that kind of night. I've got this worry that South Carolina's season will end on poor decision making down the stretch of a game which probably makes me gloomy.

that was really the first contested ending of the season for South Carolina.

Really was a good game.

Reaction Score
I believe that it was posted during the game that Vic doesn't play here when he wants specific defensive efforts.
I am too lazy to go back and look through this thread but obviously there are other Keyboard Coaches that feel your pain.
Elite 8, but yes. She is also shooting I think like 29% from three this year, while she was pretty close to automatic near the end of the season last year.

South Carolina had a tough time containing her in Columbia last year. She doesn’t fit Vic’s offensive schemes as well as his freshmen do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom