Mississippi St (10) @ South Carolina (1) - 1/20/20 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (10) @ South Carolina (1) - 1/20/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I believe Baylor is the number 1 team in the nation. I did not see the Baylor South Carolina game but I did see you guys against UConn and West Virginia. Baylor deserves number 1 ranking IMHO.
For you, @TheFarmFan and others and all my SC brethren, I get the view that due to a perceived underwhelming victory at home against MSU (@Plebe says he had them #1 before this game) that Baylor could be viewed as the #1. However let me offer this set of evidence:
1. SC beat Baylor
2. SC is playing a significantly harder schedule with more teams really getting up for and thinking they can beat them-MSU included.
3. Baylor’s Conference is pathetic, and will offer NO teams to seriously contend with them. So each victory really doesn’t tell us anything as Baylor won’t remotely be challenged due to the poor competition.
4. I am not saying Baylor isn’t deserving, just that the evidence still points to SC having earned the #1 rank at the moment.
*5. Edited after initial post- Dawn will play anyone anywhere if they will build her team and the growth of basketball, much like Pat and Geno. Mulkey, for all her great qualities, has not embraced a tougher OOC unless she is asked (CTT or Geno or Dawn).
6.As Dawn is from Philly, it’s required to have Philly coaches own x number of weeks each year at #1...
After they lose to UConn, BU can rightfully ascend to the #1 ranking :rolleyes: (with the previously noted exceptions of Antonelli burying her head in the sand whistling My Old Kentucky Home”).
Humbly submitted
DefenseBB

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For you, @TheFarmFan and others and all my SC brethren, I get the view that due to a perceived underwhelming victory at home against MSU (@Plebe says he had them #1 before this game) that Baylor could be viewed as the #1. However let me offer this set of evidence:
1. SC beat Baylor
2. SC is playing a significantly harder schedule with more teams really getting up for and thinking they can beat them-MSU included.
3. Baylor’s Conference is pathetic, and will offer NO teams to seriously contend with them. So each victory really doesn’t tell us anything as Baylor won’t remotely be challenged due to the poor competition.
4. I am not saying Baylor isn’t deserving, just that the evidence still points to SC having earned the #1 rank at the moment.
After they lose to UConn, BU can rightfully ascend to the #1 ranking :rolleyes: (with the previously noted exceptions of Antonelli burying her head in the sand whistling My Old Kentucky Home”).
Humbly submitted
DefenseBB
I should clarify: I have had Baylor #1 (on my BY25 ballot) since late December because I've felt they (with Cox) are the best team. So I'm viewing their loss to SC as mitigated by Cox's absence, while a fully healthy SC dropped a game to Indiana.

In résumé terms, however, South Carolina has a far more challenging schedule (albeit very home-heavy) and, if they run the table, will earn the overall #1 seed in the tournament. Again, "best team" and "best résumé" are two separate questions.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I should clarify: I have had Baylor #1 (on my BY25 ballot) since late December because I've felt they (with Cox) are the best team. So I'm viewing their loss to SC as mitigated by Cox's absence, while a fully healthy SC dropped a game to Indiana.

In résumé terms, however, South Carolina has a far more challenging schedule (albeit very home-heavy) and, if they run the table, will earn the overall #1 seed in the tournament. Again, "best team" and "best résumé" are two separate questions.
OMG, the scary thing is I knew EXACTLY why you said what you said without needing clarity! I am worried I know far too much...I have been conditioned to “Plebism”...Is there any cure?
BTW, talking about “home friendly”, take a look at the Baylor schedule. The UConn game was THE ONE road game they had against OOC....wow, just wow, 1 game on the road. That alone should incur your wrath.... :p

Reaction Score
SC and Baylor are 1A and 1B to me, doesn't really matter at this point.

I do think Cox on the floor is the difference between Baylor being a top 2-3 team verses just a top 10 team without her. Her ability to rebound, block shots, score, defend and create can't be replaced by anyone on the Baylor bench at this time.

I'm sure SC would be dramatically different team not having Boston out there all the time. What she brings to the team can't be said enough as well.

Plebe

Reaction Score
OMG, the scary thing is I knew EXACTLY why you said what you said without needing clarity! I am worried I know far too much...I have been conditioned to “Plebism”...Is there any cure?
BTW, talking about “home friendly”, take a look at the Baylor schedule. The UConn game was THE ONE road game they had against OOC....wow, just wow, 1 game on the road. That alone should incur your wrath.... :p
Ha, indeed I had pointed that out earlier to one of the overzealous Baylor fans. To be sure that's pretty offensive -- and I for one would be in favor of **requiring** all teams to play at least 3 true road games in the OOC -- but hey, they did beat UConn in Hartford, so what am I gonna say? They made it a good one.

Reaction Score
1. SC beat Baylor
*5. Edited after initial post- Dawn will play anyone anywhere if they will build her team and the growth of basketball, much like Pat and Geno. Mulkey, for all her great qualities, has not embraced a tougher OOC unless she is asked (CTT or Geno or Dawn).
6.As Dawn is from Philly, it’s required to have Philly coaches own x number of weeks each year at #1...
Humbly submitted
DefenseBB
Do not disagree with your analysis and I believe South Carolina should be the number 1 seed for the Big Dance if both Baylor and South Carolina go undefeated for the remaining games, however based upon what I have seen Baylor has the best team. Just my opinion and I am no expert just a fan who loves WBB.

Reaction Score
Another comment, as of today I consider Baylor and South Carolina to be top two teams in WBB but if the tournament were today I would still pick Oregon to win it all, my reason Ionescu!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I see S Carolina has over 13,000 in attendance yesterday. Well done. How are ticket prices down there for games? I assume they are they same $20+ we pay up here.

I have season tickets and mine are about $280 apiece. I really don't pay attention to how much individual tickets cost, but I know it varies by game. South Carolina is a poor state, I'm sure our tickets are cheaper than yours, plus football and SEC TV money pays for everything else, basically. My season football tickets are about $800 apiece.

Edit: I checked; individual reserved seats (Lower Level) are $25, $20 or $12; upper deck are GA and less expensive.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I see S Carolina has over 13,000 in attendance yesterday. Well done. How are ticket prices down there for games? I assume they are they same $20+ we pay up here.
UConn's price points for WBB tickets are known to be relatively high.

I found this on the South Carolina website:

1579669221486.png

It would be interesting to know how many programs out there charge a "UConn premium" like this.
(cc: @DefenseBB )

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A good place to talk women's college basketball huh....I can dig it. MSU fan who was proud of how we played against USC but was disappointed in the late game execution with the lead. I think Myah Taylor's days are numbered as the starting point guard, well they should be anyway but you never can tell with Vic. Jessika Carter is a sweet kid but she needs to grow up and get mentally stronger if the dawgs hope to reach it's full potential.

Reaction Score
I was not concerned with whether Baylor or South Carolina was #1 before. I thought it was probably better if Baylor got the ranking really, though I think South Carolina is more than deserving in a resume based ranking.

I'll be irritated though if South Carolina gets dropped for getting pushed in a victory over a top 10 team while Baylor blew out teams that it should blow out.

Reaction Score
UConn's price points for WBB tickets are known to be relatively high.

I found this on the South Carolina website:

View attachment 50146

It would be interesting to know how many programs out there charge a "UConn premium" like this.
(cc: @DefenseBB )
At Oregon it was near impossible to get GA tix for their biggesrt demnd game (Oregon State) unless you bought season tickets. It's sold out. Stanford was close to a sellout and I had to pat $45 for 2 tix including fees the week of the game. They got 12,218 for that game.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Sorry about the delay on this post and again the scary thing is I am currently compiling the "UConn attendance boost" data on teams, conference and OOC, and what increases they have when they play UConn. I had started trying to look at price points of "regular games" vs. "premium games" and as @domerduck noted, certain schools package games as part of bulk or season tickets. Even UConn this held the Baylor and ND game seats as separate sales. I am curious to hear from the SC fans on pricing over the past 3 years as I had thought the "Youth tickets" were $1-3 price points as to why they averaged 13,000+ for quite a few years and last year that went down to 10,000+ and I saw the ticket prices increase slightly but not sure when. I wasn't sure if the dip was to pricing or that last year's team was not as good as prior with A'ja.

It's been an interesting discussion I have come across on numerous article about what prominent schools should do on pricing. The discussion usually falls into 2 main camps with minor decisions after that:
1a. Is you program trying to grow based on the team getting better and playing better? Then you lower the prices, offer group discounts to schools and organizations. Recognize the organizations during the games.
1b. Is your program already established with a base who want to see your games? Raise the prices to maximize the income while balancing the attendance.
2.Is your venue on campus where you control the food and beverage sales?
a. If yes, then lower the prices to get fans and make money on popcorn, soda, programs and food.
b. If no, (like the XL Center) then keep the prices for premium seats high for the non-boosters or available for the booster who contributes a certain level. Put the GA as needed to cover the cost of the venue and get fans in.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Sorry about the delay on this post and again the scary thing is I am currently compiling the "UConn attendance boost" data on teams, conference and OOC, and what increases they have when they play UConn. I had started trying to look at price points of "regular games" vs. "premium games" and as @domerduck noted, certain schools package games as part of bulk or season tickets. Even UConn this held the Baylor and ND game seats as separate sales. I am curious to hear from the SC fans on pricing over the past 3 years as I had thought the "Youth tickets" were $1-3 price points as to why they averaged 13,000+ for quite a few years and last year that went down to 10,000+ and I saw the ticket prices increase slightly but not sure when. I wasn't sure if the dip was to pricing or that last year's team was not as good as prior with A'ja.

It's been an interesting discussion I have come across on numerous article about what prominent schools should do on pricing. The discussion usually falls into 2 main camps with minor decisions after that:
1a. Is you program trying to grow based on the team getting better and playing better? Then you lower the prices, offer group discounts to schools and organizations. Recognize the organizations during the games.
1b. Is your program already established with a base who want to see your games? Raise the prices to maximize the income while balancing the attendance.
2.Is your venue on campus where you control the food and beverage sales?
a. If yes, then lower the prices to get fans and make money on popcorn, soda, programs and food.
b. If no, (like the XL Center) then keep the prices for premium seats high for the non-boosters or available for the booster who contributes a certain level. Put the GA as needed to cover the cost of the venue and get fans in.
As far as South Carolina is concerned:

1a. Prices have gone up gradually over the last 5 or 6 years. Tickets used to be very inexpensive. Many season tickets also require Gamecock Club membership.

1b. This

2. Yes, and beer and wine sales at basketball games have started now that the SEC removed that restriction. I've enjoyed being able to have a beer or two at a game.

2a. No, concessions prices are high and parking is generally $10 if you're too lazy to walk. I park 4 or 5 blocks away, for free, and walk. We do have free parking available elsewhere on campus and an inexpensive shuttle.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Thanks @cockhrnleghrn for providing the feedback. What Dawn has done with the AD at SC is remarkable, build a contending program, give tickets away, gain fan support and create demand, then slowly raise prices to create more revenue. Truly a textbook plan to perfection. Now all she needs to do is apologize for stealing Boston (a New England town to boot) from us...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Thanks @cockhrnleghrn for providing the feedback. What Dawn has done with the AD at SC is remarkable, build a contending program, give tickets away, gain fan support and create demand, then slowly raise prices to create more revenue. Truly a textbook plan to perfection. Now all she need should to do is apologize for stealing Boston (a New England town to boot) from us...:rolleyes:
The biggest reason for our attendance is how Dawn interacts with our fans.

Reaction Score
Thanks @cockhrnleghrn for providing the feedback. What Dawn has done with the AD at SC is remarkable, build a contending program, give tickets away, gain fan support and create demand, then slowly raise prices to create more revenue. Truly a textbook plan to perfection. Now all she needs to do is apologize for stealing Boston (a New England town to boot) from us...:rolleyes:
LOL. All things are even now after UConn stole a big out of SC’s regional backyard the prior year. :)

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
South Carolina fans really make me laugh. This guy made a gesture on counting Danberry's fouls in her face after she collected her 5th foul.

IMG_0439.jpg

Reaction Score
South Carolina fans really make me laugh. This guy made a gesture on counting Danberry's fouls in her face after she collected her 5th foul.

View attachment 50241

I only see three fingers up. I think he was going ”You’re not get drafted until the third round!”

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I only see three fingers up. I think he was going ”You’re not get drafted until the third round!”

Well that's just mean

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom