Miss State's New Coach | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Miss State's New Coach

Reaction Score
Good for Carter! Some kids need days to process and get connected with a new coach as well before making decisions as well. Seems all the girls really like Nikki so far

Hope Rickea stays
All these are good signs but I’d be cautious for the next couple of weeks or so. It is still alot for everyone to process. The staff should be complete soon.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
All these are good signs but I’d be cautious for the next couple of weeks or so. It is still alot for everyone to process. The staff should be complete soon.
"Don't get too excited!" I hear a lot of that these days.

Seriously, I think MS State got a really good one. I would've loved to see Johnnie Harris get her shot, and I felt she should've had right of first refusal, but the strong likelihood is that if Nikki McCray didn't get this job, she'd be getting another job in the SEC or ACC within one year and doing well wherever she was hired. I think she has the type of personality that connects well with players and can rally people behind her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good to see these positive tweets from a few of the returning players. Hopefully all will decide to give the new coach a chance.

Not trying to tear down Starkville, but first 2 searches of SEC college towns ranked both have Starkville as dead last. Academics aren't strong, and they've never won a team championship in any sport. Women's basketball has thrived under Vic, both in team results and fans in attendance, so these factors are clearly not a huge deterrent but it does create more hurdles for Mississippi State's new coaching staff to overcome compared to other P5 programs.

thanks... just got another idea for an off-season thread. Hopefully I'll get around to it this year... if not... perhaps by 2024.

Reaction Score
"Don't get too excited!" I hear a lot of that these days.

Seriously, I think MS State got a really good one. I would've loved to see Johnnie Harris get her shot, and I felt she should've had right of first refusal, but the strong likelihood is that if Nikki McCray didn't get this job, she'd be getting another job in the SEC or ACC within one year and doing well wherever she was hired. I think she has the type of personality that connects well with players and can rally people behind her.
I don’t disagree. I wasn’t trying to be a wet blanket or overly cautious. In contrast I think Coach McCray-Penson will do well and could likely keep everyone. However I think people can get too down or excited by what a teenager puts or does not put on social media.
While I like Coach Harris and believe she is a very coach she has really boxed herself in with her career choices. She has had opportunities in the past to be a head coach but didn’t take it. She had a great interview but my understanding is the lack of head coaching experience was a fairly big issue. If she wants to be a head coach she really needs to get some experience as a head coach.

Reaction Score
I’m interested in who she brings on staff. I imagine her top assistant from ODU will follow. Rumor has it she may retain one of MSU’s asssistants (going to assume Lovato). She supposedly wants to add another top recruiter to the staff as well.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Having lived and traveled all over the US. I can honestly say that the smaller towns are a lot more welcoming. Athletes get extra special treatment. The big cities are very cliquey, people usually have just a small footprint of friends and acquaintances. Places like Storrs, Starkville, and other small college towns, the locals know almost everyone. It does appeal to a lot of the city kids that have never had that kind of atmosphere.
You just can't beat a true college town, especially when the student body is gone!

Reaction Score
McCray already winning big by keeping the entire nucleus since she was hired. MSU should be really something to watch next season especially adding Cooks to the lineup.

State fans can now breathe a lot more.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
McCray already winning big by keeping the entire nucleus since she was hired. MSU should be really something to watch next season especially adding Cooks to the lineup.

But... but.... but.... they still have to live in Mississippi though :p

shoe.gif

Im just joshing.... Hope yall Mississippians stay safe tonight... looks like some rough weather has passed/is passing through the eastern part of the state

Reaction Score
But... but.... but.... they still have to live in Mississippi though :p

View attachment 52999

Im just joshing.... Hope yall Mississippians stay safe tonight... looks like some rough weather has passed/is passing through the eastern part of the state

Looks like a F-4 tornado in Mississippi. Six people have died so far.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I’m curious the type of lineup Coach McCray-Penson will use. J Carter, S Cooks, and R Jackson is a potent frontcourt and barring some unreal grad transfer I can’t imagine all three not in the starting lineup. I wonder the direction she goes in the backcourt and who shakes out as the main players. Does she use A Matharu as more of a scoring point or does she go more with a distributor first point with M Taylor.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
C - Carter
PF - Cooks
F - Jackson
SG - Matharu
PG - Taylor

That chess scheme is pretty easy to figure out if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I’m curious the type of lineup Coach McCray-Penson will use. J Carter, S Cooks, and R Jackson is a potent frontcourt and barring some unreal grad transfer I can’t imagine all three not in the starting lineup. I wonder the direction she goes in the backcourt and who shakes out as the main players. Does she use A Matharu as more of a scoring point or does she go more with a distributor first point with M Taylor.
I think the starting 5 is a given on paper unless someone separates themselves this offseason. Guessing because she is defensive minded coach she will go with M Taylor first at PG with Matharu at the 2 spot. Rickea, Cooks and Carter fill out the remaining spots which would make a very strong lineup.

curious how much Mingo Young can up her game this offseason.

Reaction Score
I think the starting 5 is a given on paper unless someone separates themselves this offseason. Guessing because she is defensive minded coach she will go with M Taylor first at PG with Matharu at the 2 spot. Rickea, Cooks and Carter fill out the remaining spots which would make a very strong lineup.

Mingo-Young could be a big factor next season with her versatility.

Reaction Score
Assuming M Hayes and D Gaston follow through on their commitments Mississippi State still has four scholarships open. Prior to Coach Schaefer’s departure Lauren Ebo from Penn State was ready to commit and supposedly there was going to be a grad transfer point guard coming. I’m curious if Coach McCray-Penson uses some of those scholarships. She obviously recruited elite players at South Carolina but it will tell a lot about her recruiting ability to who is she is able to add to this class and bring in this fall.

Reaction Score
I would've loved to see Johnnie Harris get her shot, and I felt she should've had right of first refusal,

For all we know, she may have. I'm good friends with someone who was a trainer on that staff during the National Championship runs and they said "Johnnie Harris is a WONDERFUL person. But she is NOT a head coach, nor does she want to be." She's the good cop to Vic's bad cop. That six inches to the left is a LONG way.

Reaction Score

With a potent bench in Mingo-Young, Yamiah Morris, Xaria Wiggins, and HOPEFULLY Madison Hayes and Gaston.

Reaction Score
For all we know, she may have. I'm good friends with someone who was a trainer on that staff during the National Championship runs and they said "Johnnie Harris is a WONDERFUL person. But she is NOT a head coach, nor does she want to be." She's the good cop to Vic's bad cop. That six inches to the left is a LONG way.
I totally agree. I think she was interested in being the head coach of THIS team, but I know she’s been approached about other jobs in the time she’s been at State, and hasn’t wanted to interview. I know that for a fact. Johnnie is an incredible person, and a fantastic positional coach and role model. I just think it would take a lot to get her to leave Vic and run her own show. They are so much better together. Of that staff, Dee Jackson-Durrett has the personality of a head coach, and will probably do it one day.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Not trying to tear down Starkville, but first 2 searches of SEC college towns ranked both have Starkville as dead last. Academics aren't strong, and they've never won a team championship in any sport. Women's basketball has thrived under Vic, both in team results and fans in attendance, so these factors are clearly not a huge deterrent but it does create more hurdles for Mississippi State's new coaching staff to overcome compared to other P5 programs.

Seeing those list that rank the SEC towns/cities is a bit of a joke. Yes I know they always rank Starkvegas #14. That is fine but for the most part they are very much apples and oranges.
I have been to most of them and you can divide them into three categories.

First Group-Metropolitan areas
Nashville (good city and area but not without its problems), Knoxville (another decent city but it has its share of blight as well), Lexington (nice city and I enjoy going there), Columbia, SC (capital city with some good perks but is still a clogged up urban area), Baton Rouge (dirty nasty city on the river).

Medium sized areas-Tuscaloosa (still a lot of run down areas though it has improved some in the recent years), Fayetteville (nice area, beautiful scenery, deserves the accolades it receives), College Station (again a nice area though it may be approaching the size that takes it out of the charming area and close to a metro area), Gainesville (really nothing special about it and the UF campus is nothing to write home about), Columbia, MO (not too bad but is an outpost when you look at it on the map as compared to the rest of the SEC).

Small Communities - Athens (lots of charm, a very nice area which has a seen a lot of growth but so far has not lost its charm), Auburn (nice small city that still has a warm personality), Oxford (small and still charming-has grown tremendously-but is still a few years away from being just another blob of a city with a university), Starkvegas (small and still lives at a slow pace but has grown slowly over the last thirty years).

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I totally agree. I think she was interested in being the head coach of THIS team, but I know she’s been approached about other jobs in the time she’s been at State, and hasn’t wanted to interview. I know that for a fact. Johnnie is an incredible person, and a fantastic positional coach and role model. I just think it would take a lot to get her to leave Vic and run her own show. They are so much better together. Of that staff, Dee Jackson-Durrett has the personality of a head coach, and will probably do it one day.
Is she following Vic to Texas? If not, then something seems completely amiss on all this postulating. We UConn fans certainly know and respect any Assistant/Associate Head Coach who wants to stay with the same program they helped build and/or follow their "partner in crime" if the head coach were to leave....so as long as Johnnie is happy, who are any of us to argue? :)

Reaction Score
Is she following Vic to Texas? If not, then something seems completely amiss on all this postulating. We UConn fans certainly know and respect any Assistant/Associate Head Coach who wants to stay with the same program they helped build and/or follow their "partner in crime" if the head coach were to leave....so as long as Johnnie is happy, who are any of us to argue? :)
She is following Vic to Texas.

Reaction Score
Last report she is going to Texas to continue as the associate head coach.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Last report she is going to Texas to continue as the associate head coach.

I am glad for her. She and Coach make a good duo. That seems to be her comfort zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom