Miss State's New Coach | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Miss State's New Coach

Reaction Score
They were trying to pay her 750k a year and get a non-compete?

I take it the non-compete didn't fly at that number.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
They were trying to pay her 750k a year and get a non-compete?

I take it the non-compete didn't fly at that number.
Either way, she gets a 200% raise. Her job now is to "maintain" if not exceed what Vic built.

As far as that non-compete, wonder how Kellie Jolly-Harper feels about McCray basically saying she wants to be the UT-K head coach in the future (since KJH won't last) . . .

Reaction Score
I’m intrigued how well McCray will be able to recruit down at MSU. MSU in recent years has had more influx of talent due to recent success.

Reaction Score
I’m intrigued how well McCray will be able to recruit down at MSU. MSU in recent years has had more influx of talent due to recent success.
I’ll be interested to see who, if anyone, she adds this spring. While she obviously recruited high caliber players at South Carolina recruiting for the past three years at Old Dominion had to be a totally different animal. Hopefully she can pull in good assitant coaches and support staff. Her pick as a top assistant will be key.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, does Dawn have any other P5 coaches from her coaching tree or is Nikki the first?

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, does Dawn have any other P5 coaches from her coaching tree or is Nikki the first?

Not from South Carolina that I can think of.

She's actually had 6 full time assistants here in total.

Boyer
McCray --> Law,
Carla McGee -> Darius Taylor --> Fred Chmiel.

McCray left for head coaching job.

Taylor resigned when Joni got the UGA head job.

Not sure why McGee left. It was early on and she ended up back at Auburn.

Reaction Score
How about, based on her experience at TN as a player and SC as an assistant, she understands what it takes to WIN in the SEC?
I think everyone knows what it takes to win in the SEC. The same things it takes to win anywhere in any sport. Get good players and do a good job at coaching them. Schaefer could coach them. And he was beginning to get good players. I think that part continues, but can Nikki coach? That is the question. I personally don't think our coaching was all that great at South Carolina while Nikki was there. It's gotten better recently. Maybe it's more of a matter of the players being more easy to coach now? Not too sure, so we'll see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think everyone knows what it takes to win in the SEC. The same things it takes to win anywhere in any sport. Get good players and do a good job at coaching them. Schaefer could coach them. And he was beginning to get good players. I think that part continues, but can Nikki coach? That is the question. I personally don't think our coaching was all that great at South Carolina while Nikki was there. It's gotten better recently. Maybe it's more of a matter of the players being more easy to coach now? Not too sure, so we'll see.
So you’re suggesting that Nikki McCray had little or nothing to do with building the successful WBB program at SC?

Reaction Score

I could of sworn we won a National title and went to two final fours while Nikki was at SC.

Reaction Score

Maybe also Dawn is bringing in more great players and has evolved as a coach. She isn’t sitting back just doing the same stuff ever year. Great coaches adjusts and evolve to get better.

the jury is obviously still out on Nikki as a coach but what is known is she’s a players coach, she connects with everyone (recruits, parents, HS coaches), which is probably why many value her as a recruiter. Her background speaks for itself. This is her golden opportunity to prove herself as a coach at MSU. she is taking over a pretty stacked team that was very youthful last year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Maybe also Dawn is bringing in more great players and has evolved as a coach. She isn’t sitting back just doing the same stuff ever year. Great coaches adjusts and evolve to get better.

the jury is obviously still out on Nikki as a coach but what is known is she’s a players coach, she connects with everyone (recruits, parents, HS coaches), which is probably why many value her as a recruiter. Her background speaks for itself. This is her golden opportunity to prove herself as a coach at MSU. she is taking over a pretty stacked team that was very youthful last year.
I remember when she hired Melanie Balcomb as an offensive consultant. But, then Balcomb left for another school (Texas Tech?). Did she hire a replacement from Balcomb? Don't recall the timeline and if Balcomb was part of the national championsship season at USC.

Reaction Score

Her hiring a veteran coach like Coach K Freeman was a great move at Old Dominion and I’m happy to see her bring him to Mississippi State. I think you had also mentioned it previously but she appears to be very active on social media and engaging to recruits. Coach McCray-Penson’s record at Old Dominion got better by year.
In the SEC I’m more curious as to how she does in her first year against Arkansas and Kentucky than South Carolina. Both Coach Neighbors and Coach Mitchell would love to be able to bloody her nose early.
Overall I still think the biggest issue she will have to overcome quickly is making up ground on recruiting the elite level players. If A James or a similar player commits to her this early in the game then that is a big step for her.

Reaction Score

Better players make coaching look better.

It's hard to make an offense look good with 2-3 players without much of an offensive skill set.

Reaction Score
I could of sworn we won a National title and went to two final fours while Nikki was at SC.
"we won a National title and went to two final fours"....?? My math must be off, not counting the Championship year, and 2014-15, when was that other Final Four?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have to say that Pat has a pretty decent coaching tree.

Reaction Score
"we won a National title and went to two final fours"....?? My math must be off, not counting the Championship year, and 2014-15, when was that other Final Four?
I think Shiverz45 meant the Final Four in 2014-15 and the one where they then went on the NCAA championship.

Reaction Score
Hmmm...OK...just wanted to make sure my "old Math" was correct. When discussing achievements (especially those we are fond of), there are times when a bit of exaggeration gets in the way...just looking for accuracy.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Again, I am confused how this warrants the UConn page of the forum vs. General Basketball section...SMH...

Reaction Score
Again, I am confused how this warrants the UConn page of the forum vs. General Basketball section...SMH...

This thread has been on the general forum over a week, it was started on main board and moved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom