Miss State's New Coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Miss State's New Coach

Reaction Score
The fact that you don’t think young girls from big cities with the opportunity to go to many other places to come play in Mississippi is hard is amusing. It’s Mississippi!!!.... of all places.

Having lived and traveled all over the US. I can honestly say that the smaller towns are a lot more welcoming. Athletes get extra special treatment. The big cities are very cliquey, people usually have just a small footprint of friends and acquaintances. Places like Storrs, Starkville, and other small college towns, the locals know almost everyone. It does appeal to a lot of the city kids that have never had that kind of atmosphere.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
The fact that you don’t think young girls from big cities with the opportunity to go to many other places to come play in Mississippi is hard is amusing. It’s Mississippi!!!.... of all places.

You said it perfectly. Girls from big cities love State. Mississippi is most hospitable State in the Union. We like to keep the old stereotypes alive because that way not that many people will want to move here. Once somebody is here for a while they never want to move away.
Our strategy has worked well so far but more and more people are finding reality here is much better than perception. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm just gonna go on record and be the Mississippi Defender. I've been all around this country and the people here are as good as they get. I understand that people who've never been here find it easy to take a dump on Mississippi. But it's ignorant, borderline snobbery, and downright insulting to assume over 3 and a half million people are just backwards, racist, country bumpkins. Mississippi has given the world Elvis, Oprah, the first artificial heart transplant, the creator of the Muppets (Jim Henson)...THE MUPPETS BY GOD!!!! You can continue crapping on my state, but I will be right here to defend her EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Reaction Score
You said it perfectly. Girls from big cities love State. Mississippi is most hospitable State in the Union. We like to keep the old stereotypes alive because that way not that many people will want to move here. Once somebody is here for a while they never want to move away.
Our strategy has worked well so far but more and more people are finding reality here is much better than perception. :)

As a fellow Mississippian, I'm going to disagree that we like to keep old stereotypes alive. I for one am glad we don't burn churches, crosses, and make people enter in backdoors anymore. But that's just me. I understand what you were trying to say. Many people who've never been here change their tune once they've had some catfish, listened to some blues, and had some sweet tea. :)

Reaction Score
Have you been to storrs
I was not comparing Storrs to Starkville, I was just saying with they way younger kids think today. Who wants to move to Mississippi?
— I don’t think location is that much of a factor when your program is the standard. When you have a program like UConn who has won so many championships it’s more about do you really want to play there or not? Surely in the earlier days of Geno’s career, it was probably hard to get folks to come to Storrs.

St on the other hand does not have that same pedigree, prominence, championship history, legendary coaching so location would be more of a factor there.

Reaction Score
I was not comparing Storrs to Starkville, I was just saying with they way younger kids think today. Who wants to move to Mississippi?
— I don’t think location is that much of a factor when your program is the standard. When you have a program like UConn who has won so many championships it’s more about do you really want to play there or not? Surely in the earlier days of Geno’s career, it was probably hard to get folks to come to Storrs.

St on the other hand does not have that same pedigree, prominence, championship history, legendary coaching so location would be more of a factor there.

I get your point. And we'd have to ask Vic if it has kept him from getting someone he really wanted in the past. But I will tell you that the small town atmosphere, lack of distractions, etc. is VERY big for parents. I've heard it myself. We got a pretty good player named Rickea Jackson to come from Detroit, so...

Reaction Score
Then would it not be fair to say that Coach Geno made UCONN, and that they will be a borderline top 15 team and nothing more with him gone?

Pat made Tennessee, since she has been gone they’ve been a borderline top 15 team and nothing more. If it can happen there it can happen anywhere.

Yes, that would be absolutely fair to say.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
As a fellow Mississippian, I'm going to disagree that we like to keep old stereotypes alive. I for one am glad we don't burn churches, crosses, and make people enter in backdoors anymore. But that's just me. I understand what you were trying to say. Many people who've never been here change their tune once they've had some catfish, listened to some blues, and had some sweet tea. :)

That was really a tongue-in-cheek remark. We don’t really do that but life here is much different and better than it was when I was growing up in the 60’s. But the perception does keep hanging around unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Well I haven't lived in Mississippi for many years but my mother, sister, brother in law, and quite.a few extended relatives still do and always will.

I admit I loved my time in Starkville and the Sip will always be home but at 18 I had barely traveled anywhere more than a few hours from home (had only been on a plane twice) so Starkville wasn't quite the same to me as top flight athletes in any sport who have played in national tournaments in major cities against the best competition. I don't pretend recruiting will keep being as successful as it was under Vic lately unless they keep winning.

I've tossed the hire around in my head a few days and decided not to comment anymore until it was official. McCray has a solid resume and will hopefully be successful but I do wish Harris had been given a chance. I can't see McCray getting us back to the promised land (FF, NC game) unless she manages to haul in some major recruits. Her staff will be key as well, whoever she lands. Maybe we can convince some top flight assistants at another program to join her and we may be in business.

Rickea and Carter need to stay for us to even hope to remain towards the top of the conference. Both are weighing their options I'm sure. Hopefully both young ladies stick around and at least give McCray a chance.

I've never been a huge fan of the current MSU AD and think he's not made some great hires in his tenure (Vic was under the former AD now at Florida). Here is hoping he made a good call going with McCray. I will still be cheering loudly for the Dogs this winter provided our season proceeds on schedule.

Reaction Score
Who wants to move to Mississippi?

I think this is a bad take. Look at the roster from this past year.

Warracknabeal, Australia
Conway, Arkansas
San Bernardino, California
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Issaquah, Washington
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Bogalusa, LA
Detroit, Michigan
Waverly Hall, Georgia
Washington, DC
Ossining, New York
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Collierville, Tennessee

So, 1 player from Mississippi and 12 players from out of state. The two signees for this year are from Tennessee and Texas.

Obviously, good players are willing to go play basketball in MS.

Reaction Score
I think this is a bad take. Look at the roster from this past year.

Warracknabeal, Australia
Conway, Arkansas
San Bernardino, California
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Issaquah, Washington
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Bogalusa, LA
Detroit, Michigan
Waverly Hall, Georgia
Washington, DC
Ossining, New York
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Collierville, Tennessee

So, 1 player from Mississippi and 12 players from out of state. The two signees for this year are from Tennessee and Texas.

Obviously, good players are willing to go play basketball in MS.
But yet not the good players from miss don’t appear to stay home

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But yet not the good players from miss don’t appear to stay home
MS does not produce a lot of top WBB players. Over the past 3 years, 2018-2020, there has been only 1 MS HS player ranked in Hoopgurlz top 100. Jacorriah Bracy, ranked 47th in the 2020 class, is heading to Ole MIss. That’s 1 out of 300 players.

As for Vic’s new destination, TX has produced dozens of Hoopgurlz top 100 players over the past 3 years. Vic has done a great job in attracting top talent from all over the country and internationally to Starkville. It’s going to be really interesting to see how he does at TX, a state loaded with top WBB recruits.

Reaction Score
MS does not produce a lot of top WBB players. Over the past 3 years, 2018-2020, there has been only 1 MS HS player ranked in Hoopgurlz top 100. Jacorriah Bracy, ranked 47th in the 2020 class, is heading to Ole MIss. That’s 1 out of 300 players.

As for Vic’s new destination, TX has produced dozens of Hoopgurlz top 100 players over the past 3 years. Vic has done a great job in attracting top talent from all over the country and internationally to Starkville. It’s going to be really interesting to see how he does at TX, a state loaded with top WBB recruits.
I believe Daphane White was also a top-100 player in the class of 2018 who committed to Mississippi State before heading the JUCO route.

But yes, Mississippi does not produce a lot of great women’s basketball talent nowadays.

It’ll be fun to see him and Kim along with others battle it out for top players in Texas. 2021 is not great, but 2022 should be very good.

Vic has pretty much kept every Mississippi kid he wanted home since Vivians I believe, but there’s only been like 2-3.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe Daphane White was also a top-100 player in the class of 2018 who committed to Mississippi State before heading the JUCO route.

But yes, Mississippi does not produce a lot of great women’s basketball talent nowadays.

It’ll be fun to see him and Kim along with others battle it out for top players in Texas. 2021 is not great, but 2022 should be very good.

Vic has pretty much kept every Mississippi kid he wanted home since Vivians I believe, but there’s only been like 2-3.
Yes. I missed White. But you get the point.

Reaction Score
So far for Miss St, it appears everyone is set to return with unknowns at this time between Carter and Jackson. Nice to see a lot of the players each make individual videos welcoming her and showing enthusiasm for the future. Some of the kids are showing great leadership through this time.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I get amused that people say that Starkvegas is difficult to recruit to. What a bunch of bunk. In the 1950-1960’s, yes it was like a Mayberry tucked away, hard to get to and there was nothing to do.

Nowadays, you have 3 four lane highways crisscrossing it, plenty of entertainment, restaurants, hotels, good air service etc. It much easier to get to these days.
The area has grown exponentially but still has a lot of small town charm.

WBB at State has developed a great fan following which will continue with the new coach. These fans are smart as well and they understand a transition is going to be painful and take some time even with a great roster.

But the location of the university is not a hindrance anymore and in fact it might actually be an asset.

Not trying to tear down Starkville, but first 2 searches of SEC college towns ranked both have Starkville as dead last. Academics aren't strong, and they've never won a team championship in any sport. Women's basketball has thrived under Vic, both in team results and fans in attendance, so these factors are clearly not a huge deterrent but it does create more hurdles for Mississippi State's new coaching staff to overcome compared to other P5 programs.

Reaction Score
So far for Miss St, it appears everyone is set to return with unknowns at this time between Carter and Jackson. Nice to see a lot of the players each make individual videos welcoming her and showing enthusiasm for the future. Some of the kids are showing great leadership through this time.
They're also expecting to keep an assistant, which could also be beneficial for recruiting purposes. Probably Elena Lovato if I had to guess.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Carter says she's returning, but I see everyone's point here and I agree... Mississippi does suck.

Reaction Score
Good for Carter! Some kids need days to process and get connected with a new coach as well before making decisions as well. Seems all the girls really like Nikki so far

Hope Rickea stays

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom