Mir transfer to Virginia, granted immediate eligibility [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mir transfer to Virginia, granted immediate eligibility [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't mean to be mean, but at the D1 level what stuff does she have to show. Love to be shown wrong and I like this young woman with the beautiful smile.
We haven't seen much of MIR, the glimpses show a kid trying hard and for a bit did some good work under the boards. You may be correct in one way and she hasn't had the opportunity to show off her guard skills for long periods. I doubt Tina would take a work in progress. We'll see.

Reaction Score
lol exactly, people act like she took over Tenn or a program with prestige. Covid last season knocked out the team.
Lol. Look at UVAs history. It’s quite rich.
And all ACC schools except Duke and UVA managed to play last year.
Funny how only the teams that started off the year really badly cancelled their seasons.

Reaction Score
How does that 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game work?

Mir transfers to VA
VA football has Covid and has to pull out of the Fenway Bowl vs SMU.
Boston College Football (right down the street from Fenway ( has 40 cases of Covid and pulls out of the Military Bowl vs East Carolina.

Hold on for the roller coaster ride.. Get it all out of the system before March

Reaction Score
2 seasons cut her some slack.

2 1/2 poor seasons. This year they are the worst team in the ACC by a wide margin. And the program is far worse now than when she arrived. A large number of Virginia fans and boosters want her gone, and the only thing that might bring her back for one final season is the large buy out on her contract.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lol. Look at UVAs history. It’s quite rich.
And all ACC schools except Duke and UVA managed to play last year.
Funny how only the teams that started off the year really badly cancelled their seasons.

Duke didn't start the year off badly before they cancelled.

Reaction Score
See below. ;)

It could also be if the reason for transferring out, they might have been not happy with a task master and level of practice required here.
Therefore mom / dad and former coaches or other advisers just may have told them. "If your not happy playing for Geno you will most likely not be happy playing for a protege. :)
See what had happened was……

Reaction Score
VA was doing decent under Boyle. In her last year they made the NCAAs for the first time since 2010. And had made the WNIT the previous 3 years. It seemed they were on their way back.

Thompsons first 2 years UVA had their 2 worst records since 1978.
Hmmm, I was thinking she had only been at UVA 3 years now rather than 4. Forgot she had two full seasons prior to COVID.

I am old enough to remember when UVA was a pretty good team and I agree, they weren't at the total bottom the way they are now. I'm sure patience among fans and boosters is wearing thin and she truly may not be the best person for the job but I don't know how high women's basketball is in the pecking order at UVA.

Reaction Score
With Covid interupting their season last year, suspect Thompson will be given more time. While her first two years showed little progress, there was not much she could do last year and the disruption Covid caused with recruiting hurt as well. With all the rumors circulating around about a potential coaching change, Thompson is in a difficult position regarding new recruits, likely one of the reasons she is recruiting in the transfers bucket.

Reaction Score
It appears that all of UConn‘s recent transfers have done nicely at the new schools and I expect Mir to do nicely as well if she gets the playing time which she should on a wins challenged team. From what I saw with Mir and her limited playing time she looked as though she was trying to hard to make an impression she often was out of place and seemed frantic and uncontrolled. Gino made a comment once that when Mir got the ball the shot was going up(paraphrasing ).It’s a shame she was never able to settle in and play controlled relaxed basketball. Let us not forget that she played out of position most of the time out of necessity. Often we compared her to Gabby but I believe Gabby was a unicorn and not likely to be matched ever. I genuinely hope good things come to Mir in her basketball and personal life she appeared to be a lovely young woman

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It felt to me like things really took a turn at UVA when Felicia Aiyeotan had to end her career due to Marfan syndrome, I think just about three years ago. It felt like they might be beginning to turn things around, then the wind went out of their sails.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It appears that all of UConn‘s recent transfers have done nicely at the new schools and I expect Mir to do nicely as well if she gets the playing time which she should on a wins challenged team. From what I saw with Mir and her limited playing time she looked as though she was trying to hard to make an impression she often was out of place and seemed frantic and uncontrolled. Gino made a comment once that when Mir got the ball the shot was going up(paraphrasing ).It’s a shame she was never able to settle in and play controlled relaxed basketball. Let us not forget that she played out of position most of the time out of necessity. Often we compared her to Gabby but I believe Gabby was a unicorn and not likely to be matched ever. I genuinely hope good things come to Mir in her basketball and personal life she appeared to be a lovely young woman
Clever expression!

Reaction Score
You’re not kidding.

I would think Mir would do well on a team that is undersized where a 5’10” would naturally play forward. (Which is a lot of teams)

Her fit on a super tall team seems … odd.

Be interesting to see.
Tall/schmall, Mir needs guard skills to compliment her defense and jumping-jack credentials. And she has to improve her jump shot, 3 point and mid range. All world could be right around the corner. Being healthy would also help.

Reaction Score
Tall/schmall, Mir needs guard skills to compliment her defense and jumping-jack credentials. And she has to improve her jump shot, 3 point and mid range. All world could be right around the corner. Being healthy would also help.
Mir needs a team that values and uses her skills. You are asking her to recreate her entire skill set. Wish her the best but these changes are not very likely.

Reaction Score
I shudder to think what you would have posted if you meant to be mean. The Grinch has nothing on you.
The academics must have been huge for a competitive, athletically gifted player (albeit a one-dimensional one) like Mir to go to a school with such a woeful recent record. I think it is highly unlikely that Coach Thompson will suddenly turn that program around, which likely means a new coach and staff in consecutive years for Mir. However, if she’s happy, I’m happy!

Reaction Score
To be accurate, one of the best defensive players in history. Let’s face it, he was pretty useless as far as his scoring goes. I’ll not say he was as bad in that respect as Simmons but he was a very reluctant/hapless scorer.
While I hold out hope for Mir to evolve as a borderline WNBA level player, I tend to agree she's likely to be most effective at UVa or anywhere else as a specialty player rather than a rotation chip, much as Aubrey has been at UConn but considerably shorter and still unproven as a defensive stopper.

Cuango, on a pretty much unrelated subject, I agree with your note about Rodman as a defensive force. However, Ben Simmons is not an apt comparison. The latter is a well above average all-around player in the NBA, averaging more than 15 PPG and 7 assists during his pro career, and shooting it at better than 55 percent from the floor. That he's a poor free throw shooter and doesn't even attempt threes is likely what has led to his unpopularity with Philly fans, and apparently with teammates (along with his intransigence on the subject).

Good luck to Mir in Charlottesville!

Reaction Score
The academics must have been huge for a competitive, athletically gifted player (albeit a one-dimensional one) like Mir to go to a school with such a woeful recent record. I think it is highly unlikely that Coach Thompson will suddenly turn that program around, which likely means a new coach and staff in consecutive years for Mir. However, if she’s happy, I’m happy!

The fact that you needed to add that ( ) in is unbelievable. I still question how some of you are fans… and def should have your card revoked

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
2 1/2 poor seasons. This year they are the worst team in the ACC by a wide margin. And the program is far worse now than when she arrived. A large number of Virginia fans and boosters want her gone, and the only thing that might bring her back for one final season is the large buy out on her contract.
At UVA, I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it’s a train. Thompson has been there long enough to move the needle. I doubt she’ll be there much longer.

Look at how quickly Kim Mulkey (LSU) has turned that program around and headed in the right direction. Unranked to begin the season, the Tigers are currently ranked number 19. It can be done.

Reaction Score
It felt to me like things really took a turn at UVA when Felicia Aiyeotan had to end her career due to Marfan syndrome, I think just about three years ago. It felt like they might be beginning to turn things around, then the wind went out of their sails.
I agree.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
At UVA, I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it’s a train. Thompson has been there long enough to move the needle. I doubt she’ll be there much longer.

Look at how quickly Kim Mulkey (LSU) has turned that program around and headed in the right direction. Unranked to begin the season, the Tigers are currently ranked number 19. It can be done.
One more addendum, ponder for a moment how good Virginia would be right now if they had hired Mulkey instead of LSU. Today LSU beat #23 Texas A&M by 9. LSU is on a 13 game win streak, and has yet to lose to a ranked team. So much for her soft preseason schedule. As I said before, it works for her. :cool: I expect LSU and Duke to measurably improve their rosters next year.

Reaction Score
The fact that you needed to add that ( ) in is unbelievable. I still question how some of you are fans… and def should have your card revoked
Yeah, some think speaking the truth about a player means you are not a fan. I understand. I wasn’t aware of the “fan card”requirement, my bad. Where do I get one?

Reaction Score
I wish Mir the best of luck and I'm sure she will be a good addition to VA.

It doesn't appear she was going to get anywhere at Uconn. Similar but not nearly as good as AG so she would be, at minimum, behind AG her entire career. She always seemed to be a fish out of water. I did see one 3 pointer that looked good last year but her game, presumably didn't evolve. I say presumably since she played so little this year that it was hard to judge. I kept thinking this would happen since last year and was surprised it didn't happen at the end of the season.

I'm also very happy she has left ASAP since that is best for all involved once the decision has come down to t-fer. Hopefully Mir gets what she is looking for and we have an opening for a future younger prospect who hopefully is a better fit.

Best wishes to Mir. Going to miss the greatest smile I've seen since Magic Johnson!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One more addendum, ponder for a moment how good Virginia would be right now if they had hired Mulkey instead of LSU. Today LSU beat #23 Texas A&M by 9. LSU is on a 13 game win streak, and has yet to lose to a ranked team. So much for her soft preseason schedule. As I said before, it works for her. :cool: I expect LSU and Duke to measurably improve their rosters next year.

LSU had alot more talent going into the season than UVA. Talent wise, UVA probably doesn't crack the top 7 in team talent... in the state of Virginia. VPI, Richmond, VCU, ODU, Liberty, James Madison, Longwood... all probably have more talented rosters. :confused: The Cavs are probably better than Virginia Union and Virginia State ... maybe ?

Reaction Score
LSU had alot more talent going into the season than UVA. Talent wise, UVA probably doesn't crack the top 7 in team talent... in the state of Virginia. VPI, Richmond, VCU, ODU, Liberty, James Madison, Longwood... all probably have more talented rosters. :confused: The Cavs are probably better than Virginia Union and Virginia State ... maybe ?
Worse than Longwood? That’s cold, TDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc