Minnesota Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Minnesota Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Christyn is definitely stronger this year and her name will be up on the Wall after this season as an AA. I have no doubt. Her timing on her back doors is perfect. I was more concerned with the defense today going in and there actually was a form of team defense out there and much better individual defense. We clearly worked very hard at it in practice this week.

I think Evina is playing a lot of minutes right now and I was happy that she continued shooting in the second half. She is getting a little banged up in these games so I do worry about her being stretched out. Paige has to be more assertive offensively in the beginning of games. She has to put the game away early with the same energy she had to start the second half. I also worry about her endurance lately.

There can't be any large drop off with these substitutions that come in early in the game and during it. The lead has to be stable or increase. Azzi is nervous when she comes in. Her shot is rushed ever so slightly and it throws it off. She should shoot her jumper more to get her confidence and rhythm back. It's very Russell Westbrook like.

I thought we moved the needle today. Evina and CW have to continue their own paths and everyone has to improve. I'm a big believer in defense as the path for this team to #12. That and for Paige to be an offensive force the entire game and to take it over in the way only she can.

Reaction Score
At this point in the season, this is is all about the guards. Today the backcourt scored 64' the front court 24. Don't understand why Edwards hasn't made a strong advance over where she was late in the season last year. ONO, again, three fouls in just 24 minutes. She took herself out of

Reaction Score
While some of Edward's lack of offense was caused by the numerous UConn layups, primarily by Williams, curious how the starters today only had 2 offensive rebounds. Happy with the win so file this under "nit," but in the first two games against shorter teams, our bigs were boxed out on most misses and rarely got put backs.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't realize by now that CW is a special player needs to have their head examined. She works HARD out there every game. Covering the other team's best scorer and she still runs more than anyone and gets to the hoop. She doesn't make a lot of mistakes and I'd take her on my team any day of the week.

We haven't really seen Dorka's strongest asset come into play much yet....rebounding. We are definitely going to need her if we get to play South Carolina in this tournament. South Carolina has a ton of depth inside. We never hear about Amihere but she's a studlet also. Their 2nd unit is solid and their guards can now shoot the 3 with confidence. They are mature and probably favored at this point. If we win, it will be Paige carrying us with a strong supporting cast and very few turnovers. CW's game is negated to some degree as the hoop protection for South Carolina is unmatched. It's going to be harder for lots of our players to score. We are going to need to rebound in order to stay with them. They are maybe the best rebounding team in the college women's game.

Their biggest weakness is turnovers. We need to try to get them to turn the ball over and score off turnovers. I think we should go back to setting a lot of picks for Paige and have the offense revolve around her against South Carolina, and have a strong rebounding team. That's our best shot.

We need to develop players who can score against tough competition. Paige can do it. Others are solid if they get an open shot. South Carolina is not going to give us a lot of open shots and they can run with anyone. We should do exactly what we did against Arkansas and set pick after pick for Paige. Let the female Larry Bird do what she does ever so well.

Apparently Caroline's defense is suspect but I'm not seeing her hurt us much defensively and she helps with blocks and intercepted passes. She plays way off her man, unlike anyone else, but she's there for the rebound also and so far it doesn't seem like it's hurting us. Against top guards like South Carolina though that approach might need to be modified. Cooke and Henderson are both strong but I don't think they are extremely quick. If they can continue to hit 3's though we have a big problem. This year they seem to be able to shoot 3's with consistency. I don't think they will hurt us as much off the dribble as Arkansas though.

I can't wait for the next few games.
I agree that CW will unlikely be able to score against South Carolina in the same way she did today. Minnesota is a much weaker team than Arkansas and especially South Carolina. The South Carolina bigs are no joke, and CW is not going to find an easy lane to the basket. Whatever happened today probably reveals little about how UConn players will perform in important games.

Even so, I was happy to see CW play well. Yes, she has been inconsistent in the past, but she is a great athlete.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Was listening on radio and they mentioned another stat I hadn't heard before - supposedly Uconn has not lost a game in an in-season tournament since Rizzotti was a freshman (1992-3.) They mentioned that the streak was at 59 I think, so presumably it is now at 60.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Greetings from Atlantis! Sorry for the delay! I had to deal with balky and expensive WiFi and also check in with my peeps. :)

There was a minor glitch with my ticket, so they upgraded me to Row A. I was sitting practically next to Aubrey. The negative is that, when the bench players get excited and stand, it's really hard to see over 6'5" women when you are sitting on the same level where they are standing. But I was very close to the UConn players and the huddles. I made the video highlights of 2 of Christyn's 3-pointers.

The arena was in the oversized ballroom and looked pretty reasonable. The celling was lower than a normal arena but not a problem. Shooting percentages were good. I think there were about 1,000 people in the 3,500 or so seats.

Concerning the game, I thought it was good but not great. Another case of taking a lead of 12-15 points early and then giving up nearly all of it. I think we had a run of 11-0 to end the first half and one of 16-0 to start the second half (or close).

Clearly, Christyn was too quick, strong, and determined for Minnesota. Last week, she said attacking the basket is her bread and butter. Well, today was the whole loaf! And she made her FTs. CW was very focused. A+ for her today.

Evina looked solid again. Her notable weak moment was missing the first 2 of 3 free throws, but she had gotten knocked into or under the media table moments before. So it's understandable.

Paige was more of a facilitator today. At the start of the second half, she scored on our first 3 possessions, just to remind people that she was still there. And to stretch the lead from 12 to 17. Being so close to the floor, I could see a play where she got whacked in the face, but the ref didn't call anything. Paige looked at the ref as if to say, "Come on, Man!" News flash: Paige Bueckers has become a shot-blocking machine. I think she's averaging 2 bpg this season.

Liv and Liya looked pretty good today. I noticed in 2nd half warm-ups that Liv looked like Stef Curry. She nailed practically every shot from 15 to 20'. She made FTs with confidence today. Liv is playing stronger than last year.

Caroline made a couple of nice plays, including a good cut to the hoop, a block, and nailing 2 FTs.

Azzi's shot is still a little off, and she's still a little reluctant. But Katie Fudd says she'll be fine. (I knew that before Mom told me.) I think Monday would be a good time to splash several 3s.

Nika looked off at times and shot an airball. But she played better on defense. In the first half, she caused 2 successive airballs. In the second half, she got a strip steal and layup, followed by another breakaway. Occasionally, she's too emotional, but I love her energy.

I still miss Aubrey. She adds something that no other Husky does. I would have liked to see her defend Goforth and Scalia.

Game 2 is tomorrow at noon against USF. The forecast is for cloudy, mostly on the Bulls' end of the floor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While some of Edward's lack of offense was caused by the numerous UConn layups, primarily by Williams, curious how the starters today only had 2 offensive rebounds. Happy with the win so file this under "nit," but in the first two games against shorter teams, our bigs were boxed out on most misses and rarely got put backs.
Lack of offensive rebounds IMHO due to incredible scoring. Christyn hardly missed, even from 3. Same for Evina. Nika's 3 point shot was so far off that no defender could have been in position. Other missed shots were layups by Dorka or Aaliyah, and there would be no rebounder in place since the player in question needed room to operate in the post. Just my $.02

We shot over 62% for the game. 6 O boards and 32 overall. Minny had 5 and 19. Overall the starters took 36 shots and missed 11. That's almost 70% from the floor and that includes 3 point shots.

At one point a poster complaied that our bench was being sorely outscored by theirs. Our bench ended up with 19 points which is solid IMHO. Minny played 14 total. We had 2 kids never enter the game. In a 30 point blowout. Evina was in the game when it ended. That is more troubling to me than the 2 offensive boards by the starters.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
CW was great. If she can play like this consistently, UConn will be a different team. Defense was somewhat better. Against South Carolina, it would not be impressive. Azzi is getting more confident. If she can stay confident, her shots will improve. I want to see more of Caroline.

Paige … she makes great passes, makes her teammates better. But she needs another Paige to pass her the ball. CW, E, Liv are not doing it. CW in particular. In a game like this, it doesn’t matter, but if UConn wants to win, they have to get her the ball.
It may take our freshmen until mid-season before they settle down and settle in. Once they do, I have no doubt they will all live up to their preseason hype. Remember, you heard it here first. :cool: At mid- season, we’ll look back at these first few games when they were getting their sea legs and smile.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Greetings from Atlantis! Sorry for the delay! I had to deal with balky and expensive WiFi and also check in with my peeps. :)

There was a minor glitch with my ticket, so they upgraded me to Row A. I was sitting practically next to Aubrey. The negative is that, when the bench players get excited and stand, it's really hard to see over 6'5" women when you are sitting on the same level where they are standing. But I was very close to the UConn players and the huddles. I made the video highlights of 2 of Christyn's 3-pointers.

The arena was in the oversized ballroom and looked pretty reasonable. The celling was lower than a normal arena but not a problem. Shooting percentages were good. I think there were about 1,000 people in the 3,500 or so seats.

Concerning the game, I thought it was good but not great. Another case of taking a lead of 12-15 points early and then giving up nearly all of it. I think we had a run of 11-0 to end the first half and one of 16-0 to start the second half (or close).

Clearly, Christyn was too quick, strong, and determined for Minnesota. Last week, she said attacking the basket is her bread and butter. Well, today was the whole loaf! And she made her FTs. CW was very focused. A+ for her today.

Evina looked solid again. Her notable weak moment was missing the first 2 of 3 free throws, but she had gotten knocked into or under the media table moments before. So it's understandable.

Paige was more of a facilitator today. At the start of the second half, she scored on our first 3 possessions, just to remind people that she was still there. And to stretch the lead from 12 to 17. Being so close to the floor, I could see a play where she got whacked in the face, but the ref didn't call anything. Paige looked at the ref as if to say, "Come on, Man!" News flash: Paige Bueckers has become a shot-blocking machine. I think she's averaging 2 bpg this season.

Liv and Liya looked pretty good today. I noticed in 2nd half warm-ups that Liv looked like Stef Curry. She nailed practically every shot from 15 to 20'. She made FTs with confidence today. Liv is playing stronger than last year.

Caroline made a couple of nice plays, including a good cut to the hoop, a block, and nailing 2 FTs.

Azzi's shot is still a little off, and she's still a little reluctant. But Katie Fudd says she'll be fine. (I knew that before Mom told me.) I think Monday would be a good time to splash several 3s.

Nika looked off at times and shot an airball. But she played better on defense. In the first half, she caused 2 successive airballs. In the second half, she got a strip steal and layup, followed by another breakaway. Occasionally, she's too emotional, but I love her energy.

I still miss Aubrey. She adds something that no other Husky does. I would have liked to see her defend Goforth and Scalia.

Game 2 is tomorrow at noon against USF. The forecast is for cloudy, mostly on the Bulls' end of the floor.

No doubt that what Aubrey brings to the team on the court, is being missed. I believe that Aubrey is going to be that important piece of this season's team, that will take them to a National Championship.

Reaction Score
Why does something have to be “going on”?
She’s a frosh.
She’s the 4th or 5th best big on the team.

No surprise to me that she hasn’t played yet
seems a little curious that the 5th ranked recruit hasn’t gotten in a game yet, is all

Reaction Score
I'm surprised so many didn't see a "tongue in cheek" comments . They were so far over the top, I surprised any Uconn fan could put a smidgen of validity to the comments. ONLY 8 played in the first half???? Come on,!!! ONLY one steal each for Caroline and AZZI?? Geno isn't usually the scout of any team--Shea (when she was here, even CD, but rarely Geno.
But thanks for being alive out there and looking at a facetious response to anothers comment.

Reaction Score
It may take our freshmen until mid-season before they settle down and settle in. Once they do, I have no doubt they will all live up to their preseason hype. Remember, you heard it here first. :cool: At mid- season, we’ll look back at these first few games when they were getting their sea legs and smile.
You may be right. I saw things with Ducharme and Fudd in this and the Arkansas game that tend to say, they are getting it and the Frosh nerves are settling down. One steal each, one 3 each, each shot (from memory) 5 threes. For Freshman just putting the ball in the air towards the basket is large step forward. These 2 are shooters.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised so many didn't see a "tongue in cheek" comments . They were so far over the top, I surprised any Uconn fan could put a smidgen of validity to the comments. ONLY 8 played in the first half???? Come on,!!! ONLY one steal each for Caroline and AZZI?? Geno isn't usually the scout of any team--Shea (when she was here, even CD, but rarely Geno.
But thanks for being alive out there and looking at a facetious response to anothers comment.
I'm just impressed you understood the true meaning of "facetious" and you clearly nailed it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I”m new here, but I have been watching UConn for along time.
Something I have not noticed before:
There were a number of times when I thought Paige looked tired and fatigued and slightly slumped over
with an uncomfortable expression on her face.
Did anyone else notice this or am I just projecting?
Welcome to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score

The forecast is for cloudy, mostly on the Bulls' end of the floor. :D

Thank you so much for your first hand view of the game. Awesome job.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Don't know if it belongs in this thread, but South Carolina is only up by 12 on Buffalo (45-33) at halftime. I didn't watch the whole half, but the Gamecocks don't look like a juggernaut to me. I was surprised how much Buffalo could score against them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't know if it belongs in this thread, but South Carolina is only up by 12 on Buffalo (45-33) at halftime. I didn't watch the whole half, but the Gamecocks don't look like a juggernaut to me. I was surprised how much Buffalo could score against them.
Was just noticing how bad a lot of these ranked teams look - #4 Indiana down by 6 at the half and beating Quinnipiac by 8, #9 Oregon trailing Oklahoma by 2 with under 2 minutes to go before pulling it out.

Seems it may be early in the season and a bunch of teams are having a hard time getting everything quite right.

FYI Uconn has played and won all 8 quarters they have played so far.

Reaction Score

I suspect you are correct for most of them, however I think Azzi is about to have a breakout game. I know her % wasn’t great today but her shot looked a lot more natural and relaxed. With the other perimeter players playing well she definitely won’t get a top defender either. From the looks of her stroke once she breaks the ice a lot of good things could happen in a hurry.

Reaction Score
Some video for people who may not have seen the game. Some interesting slow motion sequences showing clear travel calls and some defensive errors.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well we looked better. One thing I realized is that we get off to big leads because we have great chemistry with are starting 5. When the new players get in it falls off a bit. The new kids have to play to gain experience. No more 5-6 play and everybody else sits the bench. They didnt come here to sit. That cant happen when you have Dorka Azzi and Caroline. In big games like Monday if we face SC I expect our starters will see more time and if we have a big lead tomorrow they may not get as many minutes because they will need their rest for Monday. I hope we see more of Deberry soon because we're gonna need her later this season and next season for sure.

This is only our second game, so we need patience with our non starters especially the freshman. Its gonna take time for them to develop. As they gain confidence they will be fine. The more they see time the better. This long weekend helps every team member because they are playing in big games against good teams and not cupcakes.

I mentioned it yesterday in a post. Dorka Azzi and Caroline need a break out game. Something to think about. We scored alot of points in two games againest two good teams. That happened with our non starters not playing the way they will be playing with more experience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom