Minnesota Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Minnesota Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
It is not impossible that Azzi might force her way into the line-up, but Dorka for sure won't be starting. If Azzi becomes unstoppable in every way ( as we anticipate at some point, ) it would be Evina who yields some time. But I see no need for this at the moment. Not even close. So it is not an issue...and likely won't be. Starting five is likely to remain so all year.
Azzi will not start this year. Westbrook provides stability, leadership and calming presence.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Minnesota game:
  • I really wish I was in the Bahamas drinking a Goombay Smash with all of you intrepid BY’ers who made the trip.
  • We now have something of a pattern emerging. UConn races out to a big lead, and then execution suffers somewhat as the Huskies bring in substitutes. For UConn’s deep roster to really matter, the team will need to maintain their execution through multiple lineup changes.
  • I don’t know how many backdoor cuts for layups Christyn had, but her timing and explosion to the basket is a thing of beauty. One of her very best games as a Husky.
  • As I watched Scalia reign down 3’s from the cheap seats for the Gophers, I had one thought, “Aubrey.”
  • I had a sense after the Arkansas game that UConn is playing faster on offense this season. After watching the Huskies against Minnesota, I am sure of it. UConn’s guards all push the pace, everyone runs the court and it usually doesn’t take very long for the Huskies to get off a good shot, often before the defense is completely set up.
  • Once again the Huskies had a significant advantage over their opponent shooting the ball, 62% to 39%. UConn also had 24 assist on 34 baskets.

Good synopsis, can’t comment on Goombay Smash, but it sounds like something that would let my fuel-air mixture get too rich very quickly.
Basketball wise, our ball screen defense was much better with the bigs hard hedging with AE being the best at that. Bigs on ball defense is another story, standing up and allowing the offensive player to get head and shoulders by them. Speaking of bigs, our back to the basket post offense is nonexistent at this point in the season, which may be partly by plan.
The strength of this team is obviously the guards and wings, and if Azzi comes along, which is just a matter of time in my opinion, you may see more 4 around one offense. The question then would become if we are able to rebound and defend with that combination.
There has to be some concern with our post play and the production of our bench personnel, but two games into the season is way too early to be worrisome, especially since we are averaging over 90 points a game.

JMO

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good synopsis, can’t comment on Goombay Smash, but it sounds like something that would let my fuel-air mixture get too rich very quickly.
Basketball wise, our ball screen defense was much better with the bigs hard hedging with AE being the best at that. Bigs on ball defense is another story, standing up and allowing the offensive player to get head and shoulders by them. Speaking of bigs, our back to the basket post offense is nonexistent at this point in the season, which may be partly by plan.
The strength of this team is obviously the guards and wings, and if Azzi comes along, which is just a matter of time in my opinion, you may see more 4 around one offense. The question then would become if we are able to rebound and defend with that combination.
There has to be some concern with our post play and the production of our bench personnel, but two games into the season is way too early to be worrisome, especially since we are averaging over 90 points a game.

JMO
A Goombay Smash is a lovely Bahamanian concoction that is made with Apricot Liqueur, Dark Rum, Coconut Rum & Pineapple juice.

Reaction Score
I am writing this before reading anyone else's posts. Then, I'll read them. Here is what I saw: Paige was a great BB player, as usual. Played a different kind of game. Defense, assists, and a bit of scoring. Olivia was, generally, terrific. Rebounds, defense and some scoring in the paint. She was the best BIG in the game ( counting Edwards as not a BIG). Edwards was terrific in every way. Great athlete. A force in the game. Westbrook was solid as ever. Williams was today's offensive star ( driving and shooting ) and she played a big role in shutting down Minny's red-hot three point shooter, in the second half ( when I think Geno assigned her to do that). Team defense looked much better overall. Minny kept the first half close with outrageous three point shooting ( the level we have expected from Fudd.....but which has not yet arrived ). Speaking of Fudd, she played some good minutes. Hit a couple shots ( though she was 1-4 on threes. I think ) and played defense hard.. Caroline also looked as though she is starting to feel like she belongs ( not great yet, but some positive flashes). Muhl can't shoot a lick yet from distance ( air ball on open three ) , but her defense began to return ( couple of steals for lay-ups ). I fear Dorka is not as good as we had hoped ( and been led to believe ). She is fine on open lay-ups, but seems outclassed in most other areas. I hope it is just a matter of her trying too hard. Otherwise, I see her as a deep bench player. Piath got some garbage time and managed to throw a pass to a UCONN player who

Of course, No Aubrey. She is still hurt with that High Ankle Sprain. You won't see Aubrey until the UCONN Medical Staff has cleared her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I”m new here, but I have been watching UConn for along time.
Something I have not noticed before:
There were a number of times when I thought Paige looked tired and fatigued and slightly slumped over
with an uncomfortable expression on her face.
Did anyone else notice this or am I just projecting?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There were a number of times when I thought Paige looked tired and fatigued and slightly slumped over
I actually thought I saw the same thing at times, except that she played hard and hustled whenever she was in the game.

Reaction Score
At this point in the season, this is is all about the guards. Today the backcourt scored 64' the front court 24. Don't understand why Edwards hasn't made a strong advance over where she was late in the season last year. ONO, again, three fouls in just 24 minutes. She took herself out of the game.

Reaction Score
Azzi will not start this year. Westbrook provides stability, leadership and calming presence.
seriously, why people keep forcing people to start that have not earned it. And what is more annoying is when ppl are rooting for starters to lose their job. I'm going to say it again nobody on the starting lineup has done anything to lose their starting spot.

Reaction Score
Welcome. Always good to see new posters.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't realize by now that CW is a special player needs to have their head examined. She works HARD out there every game. Covering the other team's best scorer and she still runs more than anyone and gets to the hoop. She doesn't make a lot of mistakes and I'd take her on my team any day of the week.

We haven't really seen Dorka's strongest asset come into play much yet....rebounding. We are definitely going to need her if we get to play South Carolina in this tournament. South Carolina has a ton of depth inside. We never hear about Amihere but she's a studlet also. Their 2nd unit is solid and their guards can now shoot the 3 with confidence. They are mature and probably favored at this point. If we win, it will be Paige carrying us with a strong supporting cast and very few turnovers. CW's game is negated to some degree as the hoop protection for South Carolina is unmatched. It's going to be harder for lots of our players to score. We are going to need to rebound in order to stay with them. They are maybe the best rebounding team in the college women's game.

Their biggest weakness is turnovers. We need to try to get them to turn the ball over and score off turnovers. I think we should go back to setting a lot of picks for Paige and have the offense revolve around her against South Carolina, and have a strong rebounding team. That's our best shot.

We need to develop players who can score against tough competition. Paige can do it. Others are solid if they get an open shot. South Carolina is not going to give us a lot of open shots and they can run with anyone. We should do exactly what we did against Arkansas and set pick after pick for Paige. Let the female Larry Bird do what she does ever so well.

Apparently Caroline's defense is suspect but I'm not seeing her hurt us much defensively and she helps with blocks and intercepted passes. She plays way off her man, unlike anyone else, but she's there for the rebound also and so far it doesn't seem like it's hurting us. Against top guards like South Carolina though that approach might need to be modified. Cooke and Henderson are both strong but I don't think they are extremely quick. If they can continue to hit 3's though we have a big problem. This year they seem to be able to shoot 3's with consistency. I don't think they will hurt us as much off the dribble as Arkansas though.

I can't wait for the next few games.

Reaction Score
At this point in the season, this is is all about the guards. Today the backcourt scored 64' the front court 24. Don't understand why Edwards hasn't made a strong advance over where she was late in the season last year. ONO, again, three fouls in just 24 minutes. She took herself out of the game.

Are you serious?? Or is this sarcasm??

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some nice quotes from Whalen and Scalia

Geno was pretty pleased with the defense in 2nd half

"Once our defense got really good and we stopped giving up some of the threes that we were giving up and the dribble penetration, our defense fueled our offense," Auriemma said. "That's how we've got to play, but sometimes I have to be reminded that this was only our second game, and a lot of these other things will click as the tournament goes on."

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
seriously, why people keep forcing people to start that have not earned it. And what is more annoying is when ppl are rooting for starters to lose their job. I'm going to say it again nobody on the starting lineup has done anything to lose their starting spot.
Glad you pointed this out.

Reaction Score
I hope C continues this play for the rest of the season. This is what we were expecting from her for the past seasons.
The thing with Azzi, Dorka, and CD is that they just need to be on the court to know the system. Right now, Azzi and CD just hangout on the 3 point line often and just watch the play from the corner. The offense requires a lot of reading and reacting. So, the more they play, the more they can get involved. Azzi has a nice jumper and it’s as consistent as Paige’s. The elbow jumper play run for Paige should be run for Azzi as well. She can make them, and seeing a few shots go in will help her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom