Minnesota Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Minnesota Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
A few things for one can this Dorka should start argument finally be put to rest? Horrible turnover late in the game that led to a gophers bucket. This starting 5 was my opening day lineup offseason and barring injury it's the best 5. The chemistry is there, there is no need to fix what's not broken. Aside that just defensively they need to do better at guarding the 3. It's early but boy for the hype Fudd got for her shooting it has not been good.
Correct. It’s early.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
A career high 31 points for Christyn Williams today, who took the baton from Paige who lead the team with 34 Sunday, and 8 today.
Fouls were not a problem today. Only ONO and Westbrook had 3 fouls. A much better defensive effort and result today.
Enjoyed listening to the radio broadcast with Bob and Debbie.
If this pattern continues, it's Evina's turn to score 30 next game.

Reaction Score
CW was great. If she can play like this consistently, UConn will be a different team. Defense was somewhat better. Against South Carolina, it would not be impressive. Azzi is getting more confident. If she can stay confident, her shots will improve. I want to see more of Caroline.

Paige … she makes great passes, makes her teammates better. But she needs another Paige to pass her the ball. CW, E, Liv are not doing it. CW in particular. In a game like this, it doesn’t matter, but if UConn wants to win, they have to get her the ball.

Reaction Score
After Flo Hoops first transmission error came back on and I was stunned to see we're down 10-0. Later on we're down 117-25. At least according to their graphics. well at least I got to see most of the game.

1. Christyn stole the show and was 3 of 4 from downtown.
2. Evina Steady as she goes.
3. Paige and Olivia the assist leaders Paige now only averaging 21 pts a game
4. Dorka good then bad then good then bad
5. Azzi If she was Polish she would almost be ) for America! A bit better on defense
6. Nika Where is her head?
7. Caroline a bit better. Again if she was from Poland!

All that and we won by 30. Just imagine when we're really good

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
After Flo Hoops first transmission error came back on and I was stunned to see we're down 10-0. Later on we're down 117-25. At least according to their graphics. well at least I got to see most of the game.

1. Christyn stole the show and was 3 of 4 from downtown.
2. Evina Steady as she goes.
3. Paige and Olivia the assist leaders Paige now only averaging 21 pts a game
4. Dorka good then bad then good then bad
5. Azzi If she was Polish she would almost be ) for America! A bit better on defense
6. Nika Where is her head?
7. Caroline a bit better. Again if she was from Poland!

All that and we won by 30. Just imagine when we're really good
The scoring they listed was funny. I noticed that a few times too!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A very good win. UConn played with a purpose. Focus improved from game 1 which I expected.

Defense improved. Even though Minnesota dropped 10 3's in the first half, they only got 1 in the second half. Fouls were down - another improvement.

Christyn was on fire the whole game. Aggressive on both offense and defense. She is a scorer. When she drives it is almost impossible to stop her. And she completely lost her defender on so many back door cuts.

Another balanced game from E. Her 3 point shot is so smooth. Though Paige didn't score a lot she had everybody involved.

Started to notice that as our guards are lighting it up form outside, the lane is opening up for Aaliyah, Dork and Liv down low. Offensively the team sputters when Geno brings in the subs. It's still a learning curve and developing the chemistry needed to have the offense flow using 9 players. It will improve.

And a big plus - the team shot 82% from the foul line!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm not gonna lie not impressive with the defence I thought the gopher gonna score just 40p not more ,we need alot of work I don't see us winning against SC
You should not be disappointed with the amount of points allowed just because you thought the Gophers would score no more than forty. I bet Geno did not expect that. Other teams seem to thrive hitting three pointers against UConn. Were you disappointed with the second half defense? They had thirty five at the half and wound up with less than sixty. Not bad at all.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nika is a bit of an enigma to me. I'm not sure what the deal is, but she just does not look like the same player at times - mental lapses, shooting airballs, but then towards the end of the game, a few great steals and scores. Rooting so hard for her. Love her intensity and attitude.
I think Nika's problem is really simple -- she is just too amped. Her adrenalin level (particularly when she first enters the game) has to be dialed back about 10-20%. I know, it's easier said than done.

More minutes would probably solve the problem, but I'm not sure Geno can afford that right now. Nika needs to find a way to chill out on her own.

Reaction Score
I'm not gonna lie not impressive with the defence I thought the gopher gonna score just 40p not more ,we need alot of work I don't see us winning against SC
Yea, I'll chime in on that---ONLY a 30 point win. We could have lost if CW didn't match the hotshots from Minne. (oops one of those hotshot is PB). Caroline and Fudd ,only one steal each,if Geno had been scouting Minne, maybe they'd have gotten 10 each. Then, Geno, what's he saving his bench for??? Only used 8 in the first half--Gaberial (Sp) in the last minutes, she should have started. Defense failed Uconn again. When will this END???

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno seems most comfortable with his starting five, and less comfortable with his bench. I expect the starters to get the bulk of the minutes ( 80%?) for the start of the season, especially in competitive games. ( duplicated from duplicate thread.)

Reaction Score
Yea, I'll chime in on that---ONLY a 30 point win. We could have lost if CW didn't match the hotshots from Minne. (oops one of those hotshot is PB). Caroline and Fudd ,only one steal each,if Geno had been scouting Minne, maybe they'd have gotten 10 each. Then, Geno, what's he saving his bench for??? Only used 8 in the first half--Gaberial (Sp) in the last minutes, she should have started. Defense failed Uconn again. When will this END???

Reaction Score
Why would you think they'd only score 40 when they average over 60 pts per game and Arkansas already scored 80 on us? They scored less than their season average, so IMO that is a overall good defensive game, notwithstanding the threes they gave up. It's only two games...RELAX!!!

Reaction Score
Remember the people saying Azzi and Dorka should start…uhhhh over who?
It is not impossible that Azzi might force her way into the line-up, but Dorka for sure won't be starting. If Azzi becomes unstoppable in every way ( as we anticipate at some point, ) it would be Evina who yields some time. But I see no need for this at the moment. Not even close. So it is not an issue...and likely won't be. Starting five is likely to remain so all year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno seems most comfortable with his starting five, and less comfortable with his bench. I expect the starters to get the bulk of the minutes ( 80%?) for the start of the season, especially in competitive games. ( duplicated from duplicate thread.)
I hope that’s not true. For UConn to win it all, we need contributions from more than 5 players. I expect Nika, Azzi, Dorka & Caroline to settle down as the season progresses. I also expect Aubrey to contribute assuming she’s healthy.

Reaction Score
CW was great. If she can play like this consistently, UConn will be a different team. Defense was somewhat better. Against South Carolina, it would not be impressive. Azzi is getting more confident. If she can stay confident, her shots will improve. I want to see more of Caroline.

Paige … she makes great passes, makes her teammates better. But she needs another Paige to pass her the ball. CW, E, Liv are not doing it. CW in particular. In a game like this, it doesn’t matter, but if UConn wants to win, they have to get her the ball.
Some of this is also related to the defensive intensity Minny put on Paige. She is not defensed like the other UCONN players. They made it hard to get clean passes to Paige;

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I hope that’s not true. For UConn to win it all, we need contributions from more than 5 players. I expect Nika, Azzi, Dorka & Caroline to settle down as the season progresses. I also expect Aubrey to contribute assuming she’s healthy.
I thought Geno went out of his way today to give minutes to the bench, even though they weren't too productive. He said in his halftime interview on FloHoops that the team needs the bench to be productive in order for the team to be successful.

I thought that all of the bench players who played in the first half were much better in the fourth quarter. Nika got her adrenalin (somewhat) under control, Azzi kept playing consistently, and Caroline supplemented her good decision-making with an actual made field goal and two made free throws. Even Dorka, who had the least impressive game off the bench, had better defensive positioning than she did against Arkansas. (How could it be worse?)

I expect all four of these players to get more productive as the season winds on, but I don't expect any of them to be in the starting lineup this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A coach has to go with his/her best players to begin the season. The other players will catch up eventually. Right now, it appears Geno has a 9 player rotation with Dorka, Nika, Azzi and Caroline coming off the bench. The others will get more time as they prove worthy in the coming days/weeks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Some of this is also related to the defensive intensity Minny put on Paige. She is not defensed like the other UCONN players. They made it hard to get clean passes to Paige;
Paige is one of those players who will do whatever the team needs. Scoring? Check. Assists? Check. Defense? Check. Did you catch her block on that deep mid-range jumper by the Minny player in the 2nd half?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Azzi and Caroline look better than the 1st game but I expect more from them. I have high expectation for Azzi. At the same time, I feel sad for Nika.
No matter what intensity she brings, she needs to be an offensive threat. That one 3pt she took missed by 5 feet. Azzi will be a significant piece soon and Caroline will grow into the steady lineup.

Reaction Score
I’m sure you’re right. But I still see Paige open, and another Paige would find her and be skilled enough to pass her the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom