Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nice try by Max Kellerman, saying that 40 years ago the Yanks were down 8.5 games at this point of the season. But as we all know that was a week before the Boston Massacre. I enjoyed the sequel better.

Reaction Score
Nice try by Max Kellerman, saying that 40 years ago the Yanks were down 8.5 games at this point of the season. But as we all know that was a week before the Boston Massacre. I enjoyed the sequel better.

I love Yankee fans talking about 78.

How many Red Sox on that team are on this one? How many 78 Yankees are on this year's Yankees team?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the demons from 40 years ago were exorcised 14 years ago.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Still couldn't believe Cora trotted Price out in the 7th.

Definitely couldn't believe he let Price pitch to second batter. At least first batter in 7th was L/L.

I would have been more comfortable with Hembree coming in with one runner on and no outs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the demons from 40 years ago were exorcised 14 years ago.
And any traces leftover were snuffed out in 2007.

Reaction Score
And any traces leftover were snuffed out in 2007.

If you're a 16 year old, you've seen the Sox win 3 World Series and the Yankees...just 1.

Hahahaha

Reaction Score
If you're a 16 year old, you've seen the Sox win 3 World Series and the Yankees...just 1.

Hahahaha

If your 58 years old you’ve been happier a heck of a lot more than Sox fans. Love how you guys think the season is over. I’m not confident in my Yanks mind you not at all but we will be better again, hope the timing works out right again. You win the division but your guys are golfing again 2 weeks for our guys like last year. We can dream.

Reaction Score
If your 58 years old you’ve been happier a heck of a lot more than Sox fans. Love how you guys think the season is over. I’m not confident in my Yanks mind you not at all but we will be better again, hope the timing works out right again. You win the division but your guys are golfing again 2 weeks for our guys like last year. We can dream.

Spoken like the fan of a team with only a measly 70 wins

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree and the reply is from a fan of a team that doesn’t win 100 all that often :)

Every year is a new year. Past seasons are irrelevant. I'm enjoying this season, and the way this team plays. Cora was such a huge upgrade at Manager and JD is better than advertised.

Reaction Score
God Porcello is so hot and cold. You never know what you have from him on any given night. He ruined the Mookie Betts Cycle Night!

Reaction Score
God Porcello is so hot and cold. You never know what you have from him on any given night. He ruined the Mookie Betts Cycle Night!

Even when they lose they win

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Realistically. Probably no one unless there's an injury. This team is scary good.

It’s got a weak bullpen that is going to probably decide the teams fate. This is their best shot at a title. Next year will be the absolute last hurrah as they have a ton of guys expiring. It will be an intereting reload.

Reaction Score
So here we are. We have just given home field advantage to the Yankees. We have proven to the world that David Price cannot pitch in the post-season. Our bull pen is a mess and we forgot how to hit. It has been a great run and there is still hope but it is fading fast. Love Cora but he did three things last night that I would have done differently. First and most obvious, he started David Price. How many times does he have to embarrass himself before he is put into a position where he can succeed? Last year he showed that he can pitch in relief. With our pen as bad as it is, he could be a welcome additon. Second, Raphael Devers has been red hot lately and with a right-hander starting for the Yankees, he should have been in the lineup. Third, Kinsler has also been slumping lately and Brock Holt has been red hot. He should have started last night. I have always believed that you should start your better offense players and if you get the lead, bring in the glove men. Now one exception to that would be Sandy Leon. He has to start but when trailing, we should be willing to pinch hit for him. Both Vazquez and Swihart are pretty good.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Dombrowski blew it on acquiring bullpen help. That's what this is.

I mean, every game, we are having to stretch out a future starter just to get through innings.

Not well done on his part.

Reaction Score
This whole idea that Dombrowski can't fix bullpens is a bit disingenous.

He traded for Kimbrel. What prospect in that deal is killing us? He traded for Carson Smith and Tyler Thornburg when both were coming off really good years and got burned by injuries on both. Maybe we should target the Sox doctors who are giving physicals?
He had a deal at the deadline with Washington but the Nationals backed out at the last minute. Who knows if that would have been good anyway but he was giving an effort. After the Smith and Thornburg deals I'm leery of any reliever being traded for. I almost think teams can't wait to give us damaged goods.

After last night I can't imagine we'd see Nunez in game 3. The guy can't hit and while he used to be OK at 3rd, last night was a disaster for him. In Yankee Stadium, you have to get the lefty bat in that lineup and I'd go Devers. I'd also go Holt at 2B but that would be more ballsy to take Kinsler out. He may go the safe route and stick Holt at 3B and leave Devers on the bench.

Leon will start every game but I'd imagine Cora will go with a quick hook when the situation presents itself in YS.

Really there are only 3 starting pitchers I can count on in this Yankee series Sale, Porcello and Eovaldi. I don't care about Price in the bullpen, he can't pitch against the Yankees in this series at all. He has pitched well this year but he just can't beat Judge and Sanchez. And Eduardo Rodriguez in the pen didn't have his good fastball, he was throwing 93 it looked like. Sanchez hit 91 and 93 mph meatballs, even reaching outside to hook them over the wall. Our lefties need to pound him up in and soft away.

Porcello, Eovaldi, Sale. We need 2 really good performances now. I think in Fenway, Sale will pitch really well in game 5. Just have to split in YS and get it back to Sale.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This whole idea that Dombrowski can't fix bullpens is a bit disingenous.

He traded for Kimbrel. What prospect in that deal is killing us? He traded for Carson Smith and Tyler Thornburg when both were coming off really good years and got burned by injuries on both. Maybe we should target the Sox doctors who are giving physicals?
He had a deal at the deadline with Washington but the Nationals backed out at the last minute. Who knows if that would have been good anyway but he was giving an effort. After the Smith and Thornburg deals I'm leery of any reliever being traded for. I almost think teams can't wait to give us damaged goods.

After last night I can't imagine we'd see Nunez in game 3. The guy can't hit and while he used to be OK at 3rd, last night was a disaster for him. In Yankee Stadium, you have to get the lefty bat in that lineup and I'd go Devers. I'd also go Holt at 2B but that would be more ballsy to take Kinsler out. He may go the safe route and stick Holt at 3B and leave Devers on the bench.

Leon will start every game but I'd imagine Cora will go with a quick hook when the situation presents itself in YS.

Really there are only 3 starting pitchers I can count on in this Yankee series Sale, Porcello and Eovaldi. I don't care about Price in the bullpen, he can't pitch against the Yankees in this series at all. He has pitched well this year but he just can't beat Judge and Sanchez. And Eduardo Rodriguez in the pen didn't have his good fastball, he was throwing 93 it looked like. Sanchez hit 91 and 93 mph meatballs, even reaching outside to hook them over the wall. Our lefties need to pound him up in and soft away.

Porcello, Eovaldi, Sale. We need 2 really good performances now. I think in Fenway, Sale will pitch really well in game 5. Just have to split in YS and get it back to Sale.

I never said he CAN"T fix bullpens. I said he did not do so this year. It was quite evident before the deadline that we could have used a few arms. There was damn near unanimous agreement on that. But Dombo's on record about passing on that:

When he assessed the arms that were already there Dombrowski believed they were more than capable.
“First of all, we improved our club in a lot of other directions, and we kept thinking, in our own internal conversations we had, we really felt the other areas of improvement were more significant for us,” Dombrowski said before Tuesday night’s 3-1 loss to the Phillies. “So when we got [Nathan] Eovaldi, that was really the top for us to get a starter that we could slide in the bullpen if we needed to at a later time.
“We talked about bullpen or improving our defense in the infield at second base, we felt that second base was more important for us with the defensive aspect of it. “

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom