Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans

Reaction Score
Not NY but a very good lineup. On paper it is very deep.

Betts RF
Pedroia/Nunez 2B
Martinez DH
Ramirez/Moreland 1B
Benitendi LF
Devers/Nunez 3B
Boegartes/Nunez SS
Vazquez C
Bradley CF

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It’ll probably be a mistake on years.

But DD won’t be around to see that part. Without a title by 2019 it’s probably lights out for him.

Or at least that’s the talk. He won’t be the guy for a rebuild

the Q

Reaction Score
5 years 110 million. Opt out after 2 years.

Those are terms you live with.

I really thought these reports meant DD was now bidding against himself like the orioles with crash davis.

I expected far worse

Reaction Score
Those are terms you live with.

I really thought these reports meant DD was now bidding against himself like the orioles with crash davis.

I expected far worse

That's F#$*$ng phenomenal given what Hosmer got. Sox won this one . . .

Reaction Score
Gave him basically Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez contracts.
Well, DD gambled and won. When J.D. and Boros stretched it out to spring training, Dumbrowski didn't panic. Really not a bad deal. Now if they can find some way to dump Hanley, they might have something going for them. My interest level is rising.:cool:

the Q

Reaction Score
Well, DD gambled and won. When J.D. and Boros stretched it out to spring training, Dumbrowski didn't panic. Really not a bad deal. Now if they can find some way to dump Hanley, they might have something going for them. My interest level is rising.:cool:

Just give Moreland enough abs to keep hanleys option from vesting

Reaction Score
Not NY but a very good lineup. On paper it is very deep.

Betts RF
Pedroia/Nunez 2B
Martinez DH
Ramirez/Moreland 1B
Benitendi LF
Devers/Nunez 3B
Boegartes/Nunez SS
Vazquez C
Bradley CF
That is an outstanding lineup but as you said not NY. Plus some of these players will rebound and have better years.

Reaction Score
True.

Of course still in hole given Price and Sandoval disasters.

Let's cross our fingers and hope that Price has a monster season and opts out.

Sandoval might have been the worst contract in MLB history.

Reaction Score
Let's cross our fingers and hope that Price has a monster season and opts out.

Sandoval might have been the worst contract in MLB history.
I still think Arod's was the worse. Especially after the Yankees announced that they would not even negotiate with him if he opted out (which he did). And then with no one competing with them they gave him a monstrous contract. Sandoval's, although horrible, pales by comparison.

Reaction Score
Cora has said benintendi is batting second.
I’m thinking

Betts
Benintendi
J.D.
Hanley
Bogaerts
Devers
Nunez
Bradley
Vazquez

Or perhaps he bats Nunez 9th to wrap speed around the top and bottom with Nunez Betts and benintendi

Excellent lineup - good combination of power and speed.
And thank god the new coaches are going to be preaching swinging. At good pitches early in the count unlike last year. I believe they led the league in looking at first pitch strikes.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

At first blush, I thought this would be great. Then shades of Kevin Millar, circa 2005 creeped into my head..as in cranking the ball 500 feet foul. I don't doubt Ramirez can hit 30 HRs in a season, if healthy. I doubt he would get on base enough otherwise to steal 30 bases. Also, with J.D. Martinez in the fold, he likely won't play enough.

Reaction Score

At first blush, I thought this would be great. Then shades of Kevin Millar, circa 2005 creeped into my head..as in cranking the ball 500 feet foul. I don't doubt Ramirez can hit 30 HRs in a season, if healthy. I doubt he would get on base enough otherwise to steal 30 bases. Also, with J.D. Martinez in the fold, he likely won't play enough.

My guess is Hanley is our everyday 1Bman to start season with Moreland a late inning def replacement, etc. I see 500 ABs for Hanley one way or another.

Reaction Score
I still think Arod's was the worse. Especially after the Yankees announced that they would not even negotiate with him if he opted out (which he did). And then with no one competing with them they gave him a monstrous contract. Sandoval's, although horrible, pales by comparison.

As bad as the ARod contract was, at least he was basically still good (though not what he was)

Sandoval couldn't play....

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My guess is Hanley is our everyday 1Bman to start season with Moreland a late inning def replacement, etc. I see 500 ABs for Hanley one way or another.

"Moreland may well lose some at-bats with Martinez in the fold. Ramirez might too. Unless Ramirez mashes, the Sox will have reason to limit his playing time. At 497 plate appearances, a vesting option kicks in for 2019."

As the quote says, "Unless Ramirez mashes..." and I would have added, "early and often." Moreland is a lefty. As the season goes on, he'll probably get more opportunity.

Reaction Score
As bad as the ARod contract was, at least he was basically still good (though not what he was)

Sandoval couldn't play....
While I won't argue that Sandoval couldn't play when he got to Boston, one certainly could argue that he was pretty solid up to then. His batting average for the two years prior to the Red Sox acquiring him was .279 with an average of 16 home runs and 76 RBI's. And he hit .344 in the post season including being MVP of the 2012 World Series. Further he hit .426 in three World Series. Arod was a .259 hitter in the post-season.

The Panda was 28 when he signed with the Sox. Arod was 32 when he signed his monster contract.

Reaction Score
"Moreland may well lose some at-bats with Martinez in the fold. Ramirez might too. Unless Ramirez mashes, the Sox will have reason to limit his playing time. At 497 plate appearances, a vesting option kicks in for 2019."

As the quote says, "Unless Ramirez mashes..." and I would have added, "early and often." Moreland is a lefty. As the season goes on, he'll probably get more opportunity.

Yeah and they will definitely keep him below 497 plate appearances. I may be off in my assessment unless as you say he comes out of the gates mashing....

Reaction Score
I would bat JD behind Handley as line up support. Handley doesn't support JD as well batting behind him. With JD behind him, Handley would see much better pitches. It doesn't work the other way around.

Reaction Score
While I won't argue that Sandoval couldn't play when he got to Boston, one certainly could argue that he was pretty solid up to then. His batting average for the two years prior to the Red Sox acquiring him was .279 with an average of 16 home runs and 76 RBI's. And he hit .344 in the post season including being MVP of the 2012 World Series. Further he hit .426 in three World Series. Arod was a .259 hitter in the post-season.

The Panda was 28 when he signed with the Sox. Arod was 32 when he signed his monster contract.
The Yankees have a World Series Championship because of ARod.

Reaction Score
The Yankees have a World Series Championship because of ARod.
One could argue that the Yankees have a World Series Championship despite Arod. Arod's performance began to decline after the Yankees signed him to a ridiculous contract after he opted to be a free agent following a monstrous season in 2007. In their only World Series win during the Arod days he hit .250 with one home run and 8 strike outs. Hideki Matsui, Derek Jeter and Johnny Damon were the hitting stars of that series.

the Q

Reaction Score

I expect you'll see more of Moreland than you think early on.

They need to keep him going for the inevitable Hanley injury. Give him a a day or two against righties each week. Then he comes in after the 5th or 6th for defense.

Hanley problem is solved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom