Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I expect you'll see more of Moreland than you think early on.

They need to keep him going for the inevitable Hanley injury. Give him a a day or two against righties each week. Then he comes in after the 5th or 6th for defense.

Hanley problem is solved.
Martinez will (should) play one game a week tops in the outfield. Moreland coming off the bench should primarily be a Hanley sub, but only when he is playing 1st. Hanley is also not a bad late and close hitter, so when he is DH'ing he is not exactly a liability. I suppose he could be a defensive replacement for Martinez at 1st as well, so long as Martinez has already batter in the 7th. The Sox aren't paying Martinez $47.5 Million for the two year before the out clause to sit him late and close.

Reaction Score
As bad as the ARod contract was, at least he was basically still good (though not what he was)

Sandoval couldn't play....
Isn't Bobby Bonilla the worst contract ever? Bonilla might have played more initially than Sandoval, but the Pandapocalypse won't be getting paid 20 years after he stinks.

Reaction Score
Isn't Bobby Bonilla the worst contract ever? Bonilla might have played more initially than Sandoval, but the Pandapocalypse won't be getting paid 20 years after he stinks.

Eh...was really just how thry structured it. He got 1 million a year for like 25 years. And he was a player.

Of course middle relievers today get 25 mill over 2 years....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why do we wanna get rid of Hanley again?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Wild 8th. Best record in MLB. Will be interesting to see what happens when the opponent isn't full of quad-A players.

OTOH, Gotta win the games you're supposed to win. A .889 win% is doing just that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wild 8th. Best record in MLB. Will be interesting to see what happens when the opponent isn't full of quad-A players.

OTOH, Gotta win the games you're supposed to win. A .889 win% is doing just that.
They played ML teams with ML players and you have to win those games. They did and that is all you can ask.
I really like Bogarts new approach to hitting. Some of it may have been his hand injury last season and some of it may have been his mindset to go the other way. This season he is turning on the ball and pulling with power. Betts will have a better year, Hanley looks engaged and Martinez gives them the RH power hitter they were lacking last season. The Sox will score runs this season without having to get as many hits to do it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I never said they were not Major League teams, but their established Major League players are few, far between, and not enough to be a factor. I'm also not saying The Rays or Marlins will challange the '62 Mets, necessarily, but the next series will be more telling than the last 3 were.

Reaction Score
I never said they were not Major League teams, but their established Major League players are few, far between, and not enough to be a factor. I'm also not saying The Rays or Marlins will challange the '62 Mets, necessarily, but the next series will be more telling than the last 3 were.
True but I'm encouraged by the Red Sox lineup.
Caught the last inning of the Yankee game. Stanton is a great hitter but it brought a smile to my face when Yankee fans booed him after he struck out for the last out of the game. He is probably looking forward to a road trip.

Husky25

Reaction Score
"Well"? What?

Do not misunderstand me as if I'v not enjoyed the last two week, but I've been a Red Sox fan far too long to not at least guard my unbridled optimism a little bit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
" but I've been a Red Sox fan far too long to not at least guard my unbridled optimism a little bit.
I don't understand that thinking. Maybe pre-2004 but not now. 2014 was not that long ago, where the naysayers warned about "not playing anyone good" all the way through July. I know they haven't beaten any teams with a winning record yet but who cares?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was a Red Sox fan for a long time prior to 2004. Old habits die hard. It's been fun. It's also April 11.

Reaction Score
I was a Red Sox fan for a long time prior to 2004. Old habits die hard. It's been fun. It's also April 11.
Yeah that's fine, you cannot have an intelligent conversation about the Sox being 9-1 and Yanks under .500 without mentioning that its not even mid-April. Its the first thing my father-in-law from the Bronx brought up when I texted him a picture of the Green Monster, with the standings, scoreboard at 8-1 and men on 2nd & 3rd

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So was I, believe me. But the earlier you get on the bandwagon, the better the ride!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sox have some reinforcements coming down the line as well. One good thing about this nice start is that Pedey is going to have get into line and keep his mouth shut once he gets back.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Sox have some reinforcements coming down the line as well. One good thing about this nice start is that Pedey is going to have get into line and keep his mouth shut once he gets back.

Meh, he never had much of a problem when his manager was Tito. Farrell's reign caused all manner of ills.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah and they will definitely keep him below 497 plate appearances. I may be off in my assessment unless as you say he comes out of the gates mashing....
Reported on WEEI that Hanley Ramirez has been designated for assignment for the purposes of trade (making room for Pedroia).

Apparently the Sox had no intention of letter Ramirez reach 497 PAs on their watch...or dime.

Reaction Score
Reported on WEEI that Hanley Ramirez has been designated for assignment for the purposes of trade (making room for Pedroia).

Apparently the Sox had no intention of letter Ramirez reach 497 PAs on their watch...or dime.

I don’t like the move. Drop one of the turd catchers.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Given what he costs, Hanley provides no value. Not sure if I like the move or not yet. I'll have to see what they get for him. Anything more than a bag of baseballs and they win, so it's a low bar to clear. I just hope he is not merely outright released.

I was just surprised by the move.

Reaction Score
Given what he costs, Hanley provides no value. Not sure if I like the move or not yet. I'll have to see what they get for him. Anything more than a bag of baseballs and they win, so it's a low bar to clear. I just hope he is not merely outright released.

I was just surprised by the move.
They should have tried this after his hot April start. They were never, ever going to let him get 500AB and pay him $22MM next year. Not sure how it works in terms of salary for someone picking him up, but no one is paying him anything near the salary he is contracted for this season except the team (RSox) obligated to pay it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
They should have tried this after his hot April start. They were never, ever going to let him get 500AB and pay him $22MM next year. Not sure how it works in terms of salary for someone picking him up, but no one is paying him anything near the salary he is contracted for this season except the team (RSox) obligated to pay it.
Ordway said that if he makes it through waivers, he becomes an unrestricted free agent and can be signed for as little as the league veteran minimum.

May be as good as a trade for RS ownership.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The consistency and power of JD, plus the effectiveness of Moreland makes this possible. I personally like Hanley. I think he was a fine piece to have this year, but definitely not at that price.

The biggest winner is Blake Swihart who'll get more at bats, which in the long run is a good thing, whether for trade value, or for future development.

Reaction Score
Considering the Red Sox have the best record in baseball so far should we just close this thread?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The consistency and power of JD, plus the effectiveness of Moreland makes this possible. I personally like Hanley. I think he was a fine piece to have this year, but definitely not at that price.

The biggest winner is Blake Swihart who'll get more at bats, which in the long run is a good thing, whether for trade value, or for future development.
I think you pretty much hit all the points here. He's a Yankee-killer and that's a loss. But if he's not raking he's a massive liability at any price.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom