Miami Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Miami Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
This article has some nice info on how good or run has been. First team to win the first five games by 15 or more, which imo is more impressive even than overall margin.
It’s even more amazing that we are doing this as a 4 seed. These huge margin of victories are usually started off by a 30-40 point win by a one seed over a 16 seed. We never got that easy first round game.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same. Don't they all have more than 1 pair of sneakers in their gym bags? Was just a really strange sequence.
All that NIL and they only have one pair of game sneakers. Equipment manager might be polishing his resume today. That kid was leaking oil going back and forth to the locker room, especially after he had to go a 2nd time after he grabbed the wrong size.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Spitting their pants when someone gets to the baseline is a strategic flaw with a lot of old school coaches. If Miami had a decent defender, then they should have been worrying much more about the pass than the shot when Newton got to the baseline. The defender should have been able to keep Newton on the baseline and behind the basket without all that help leaving everyone else open.

A lot of old school coaches at all levels let their defenses freak out when someone gets to the baseline. I don't get why. The chance of that baseline driver scoring is pretty low relative to the damage he can do on the pass.
Miami's defense has tended to play the ball all year. They've had the quickness and agility to do that, and it was good enough to get them to the FF.

The major problem with Miami last night was they got away from their offensive identity. They do play 1-on-1 more than we do, but they also utilize a lot more ball movement than they did last night. Coach L mentioned it a couple of times, and apparently one of the players wrote "share the ball" on the whiteboard at halftime. But it fell on deaf ears.

Reaction Score
So if UConn wins Monday, does that mean Karaban can't shave until next year?

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 54
Reaction Score
They better because SD St is in the finals and have left a trail of good teams in their wake including our Big East brother Creighton
We my friend are running in 12th gear right now. We really decimated Miami in yet another style of fast and ugly without our most important player and our best shooter under the weather. Danny had this running like an old news paper press right now. It’s just chugging.

Reaction Score
The defense continues to astound me. This is the team that got ran out of their home gym to St Johns, and has completely locked up 2 of the best offensive teams in America in the last week. Miami shot 12-12 on their free throws, and only scored 59.

The D has been amazing. I was not happy when Larranaga blamed his teams lack of execution for the low scoring. It was our D execution, strategy, and preparation.

Reaction Score
The D has been amazing. I was not happy when Larranaga blamed his teams lack of execution for the low scoring. It was our D execution, strategy, and preparation.
Larranaga was classy in defeat for the most part, including calling off the dogs down 13-15 with a minute to go, but I didn't like how he (and, seemingly the CBS broadcast) wanted to attribute their loss to an uncharacteristically poor shooting night near the rim without crediting our excellent on-ball defense.

Reaction Score
He won't get the headlines, but Joey C's underrated contribution last night needs to be mentioned. 18 minutes holding down the fort for an obviously gassed Hawkins, solid ballhandling, no turnovers, a couple of buckets, really good 1-on-1 defense (he really has come a long way in that department). Not to mention the joy and fire he brings every game. Gonna miss that kid.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about more, but the UConn 2004 team and the Villanova 2018 team’s run were dominant. Both of those teams were dynamite.

The 2004 team was stacked with two All Americans in Okafor and Gordon, along with Boone, Rashad (did anyone ever call him “Anderson”) Villanueva, Armstrong, da Browns. So deep their B team had a chance to win it all but they weren’t dominant against Duke in the FF. Clutch and fortunate to move on with Emeka in foul trouble and down 8 with 3 min to go. The blew out Georgia Tech for the banner, but the title wasn’t a forgone conclusion in the semis.

Reaction Score
Way too harsh. 6 pts on 3/4 2 rebs 4 asts 2 stls makes up for 3 fls and 2 TOs. His worst game of the tourney but He was not hurting the team
His defensive presence was unseen but felt.

Reaction Score
Larranaga is a classy coach. I'm sure his friendship with Bob Hurley Sr. from high school coaching days was a factor, as was his friendship with Danny. He didn't turn the last 1:30 into a foul-fest and also pulled his starters. Some a hole coaches we faced pressed us until the end when we were up 15.
And while there are many posts about the stunning margins of victory on this run, let’s not forget that Hurley has cleared his bench and let the practice squad have some time on the floor. He’a not pushing the score and has acted with class as well. Granted his son is one of those players, but he’s made the right moves and gestures for the moment. With DH the olde school philosophies and antics are present and I love it.

Reaction Score
And while there are many posts about the stunning margins of victory on this run, let’s not forget that Hurley has cleared his bench and let the practice squad have some time on the floor. He’a not pushing the score and has acted with class as well. Granted his son is one of those players, but he’s made the right moves and gestures for the moment. With DH the olde school philosophies and antics are present and I love it.
Yes. Our reserves have seen every game. Andrew Hurley has as minutes as Dukes starters and more than any BC or Syracuse guys.

Reaction Score
It was surprisingly Croninesque- gush about the other team when your team wins and minimize credit to the other team when they lose. Most coaches are hyper competitive, so that’s not really a surprise I suppose (Cronin has always struck me as an extreme example). But I thought Jim L was above that stuff with his notoriously chill approach to coaching. His team was objectively outclassed out there per anyone with an operating set of eyes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom