Miami Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Miami Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Great team, fully respect that team for giving UConn a game. Shame for them UConn was better all year.
Interesting you say that. That Duke team was damn good, really good. But I never understood the big point spread or the narrative that this is the Duke Inavigational. UConn spent more weeks at #1 than Duke. Anyways, UConn has a diametrically opposite opponent of Miami whose defense is elite. It is almost like the contrast between Iona and then Going to St. Mary’s in terms of pace and style. UConn needs to be ready and not overconfident. Respect all, fear none

Reaction Score
It was funny when he said in the post game analysis: "How the hell did this team lose 8 games?"
This the question everyone across the country is asking, fans, reporters, fortune tellers, etc. The answer given in public, while proper and somewhat accurate is how great the BE is and the familiarity factor. Privately and IMHO, it had a lot to do with the way the games were called. I know, I know, it is like a broken record, and who cares, at this point. Let's just enjoy! We good.

Reaction Score
200.gif
That's it right there. Sorry to a few other first team AA (we are blessed), but that's the rushmore,

Reaction Score
I have thoughts about this. And have had thoughts about this since after Iona. But I cannot say them until after the game on Monday. can't mess with the mojo.
I think im having the same thought. Hope to hear them after Mondays game and we hopefully pull of this great run.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don’t get why 4 chased Newton to the baseline. Joey was also wide open

Spitting their pants when someone gets to the baseline is a strategic flaw with a lot of old school coaches. If Miami had a decent defender, then they should have been worrying much more about the pass than the shot when Newton got to the baseline. The defender should have been able to keep Newton on the baseline and behind the basket without all that help leaving everyone else open.

A lot of old school coaches at all levels let their defenses freak out when someone gets to the baseline. I don't get why. The chance of that baseline driver scoring is pretty low relative to the damage he can do on the pass.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn's staff did a great job on two key aspects of Larranaga's game plan.

1) Miami dependance on 1-on-1 dribble penetration. "Missing" 14 layups does not happen by accident. UConn has a defense that makes hero ball basketball like this look stupid. A penetrator coming from 25 feet from the basket is one of the easier threats to defend at any level of basketball. Your defense has a lot of time to respond when a a driver comes from beyond the 3 point line, and your rim protector knows almost exactly where and when the shot is going to occur because the driver is coming to you as a defender and it is easy to time the shot challenge. The driver is going to take off around the block, which makes the defense that much easier. At any level, guards should be driving to dish rather than driving to score. Getting to the hoop to score is just too difficult against a good defense.

2) Miami's ball pressure in man-to-man. Hurley must have thought Larranaga was joking when he was pressuring AJax and Newton 30 feet from the hoop and leaving Sanogo 1-on-1 inside the 3 point line. Imagine if Hawkins hadn't spent the last 24 hours draining his pipes and was 100%, or even 70% for that game. I thought UConn left a lot of points on the table and still chewed Miami up on offense.

Great job by the coaches to game plan Larranaga and by the players to execute it.

Reaction Score
UConn's staff did a great job on two key aspects of Larranaga's game plan.

1) Miami dependance on 1-on-1 dribble penetration. "Missing" 14 layups does not happen by accident. UConn has a defense that makes hero ball basketball like this look stupid. A penetrator coming from 25 feet from the basket is one of the easier threats to defend at any level of basketball. Your defense has a lot of time to respond when a a driver comes from beyond the 3 point line, and your rim protector knows almost exactly where and when the shot is going to occur because the driver is coming to you as a defender and it is easy to time the shot challenge. The driver is going to take off around the block, which makes the defense that much easier. At any level, guards should be driving to dish rather than driving to score. Getting to the hoop to score is just too difficult against a good defense.

2) Miami's ball pressure in man-to-man. Hurley must have thought Larranaga was joking when he was pressuring AJax and Newton 30 feet from the hoop and leaving Sanogo 1-on-1 inside the 3 point line. Imagine if Hawkins hadn't spent the last 24 hours draining his pipes and was 100%, or even 70% for that game. I thought UConn left a lot of points on the table and still chewed Miami up on offense.

Great job by the coaches to game plan Larranaga and by the players to execute it.
Can't understate the value of this staff. Dan trusts his guys like no other and they have shined this tournament. Especially Kimani!

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
This article has some nice info on how good or run has been. First team to win the first five games by 15 or more, which imo is more impressive even than overall margin.

Reaction Score
Clingan gives me goosebumps over how great he's going to be.
Not going to be but is! Amazing how he has turned away driving players. It's not all about blocks but what he does to their head. Santago also has upped his defensive game.

Reaction Score
Adama Sanogo is the best player in the tournament.

The defense continues to astound me. This is the team that got ran out of their home gym to St Johns, and has completely locked up 2 of the best offensive teams in America in the last week. Miami shot 12-12 on their free throws, and only scored 59.

I’m still convinced it’s a dream. 40 more minutes to immortality. We know SDSU is going to muck it up and try to bully out. Need to be ready for a new playstyle

Reaction Score
2 huge underrated plays.

1) They cut lead from 20->12. We got 2 orebs and used most of the clock and Jackson had ball in the paint with shot clock at like 4. He could have shot or panicked but he coolly found Sanogo for a layup. After this play they made 3 more straight shots and the lead would have been 6, but instead it was 8.

And then, up 8:
2) Karaban missed a 3 and Clingan just went up and was too tall and got the oreb and layup. Lead back to 10. Hawkins hit a 3 next trip and it was 13 again and we were back in control. They get that rebound and score in semi-transition and get lead to 6, it could've been a game.
Clingan is the X factor and a worst matchup for other teams. What's a mother to do????? Love how he holds the ball so high as in the above description and layed it back in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom