MHver3 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

MHver3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 adds just 2 teams, UConn's athletic program is dust.

Only if the two don't come from the Big East. Then the NBE might stay together. My guess is that they only like Louisville among our schools. We could drop football and the athletic dept. would be fine. But we won't have to.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
the answer will be 16 or 18 teams per conf for the big boys which allows a ton of good things including 2 divisions with full schedules etc. the b10 and acc will have to react eventually to the sec and b12. in due time uconn will be in a big 5 conf...

UConn will be fine if the eventual end state is five 16 team conferences. However, what if the end state is four 16 team conferences? The ACC is the vulnerable prey now that the Big East has been killed off. It isn't out of the realm of possibility to see:

B1G : adds North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Notre Dame
SEC : adds Virginia Tech and NC State
B12 : adds FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, Pittsburgh

In this scenario, each of the conferences are consolidating the power and money by killing off the ACC as well as expanding each of their geographic footprints to valuable markets (B1G would expand eastward and own everything north of the Mason Dixon line, the SEC would expand all the way up to DC, and the B12 would grab the key Southeast).

Then we would be stuck in the ACC with mostly private schools and would not be able to compete at all on the football field. Although, our Olympics (basketball) would be fine with the likes of Syracuse, BC, Duke, Wake Forest, Rutgers, etc.

Reaction Score
UConn will be fine if the eventual end state is five 16 team conferences. However, what if the end state is four 16 team conferences? The ACC is the vulnerable prey now that the Big East has been killed off. It isn't out of the realm of possibility to see:

In this scenario, each of the conferences are consolidating the power and money by killing off the ACC as well as expanding each of their geographic footprints to valuable markets (B1G would expand eastward and own everything north of the Mason Dixon line, the SEC would expand all the way up to DC, and the B12 would grab the key Southeast).

Then we would be stuck in the ACC with mostly private schools and would not be able to compete at all on the football field. Although, our Olympics (basketball) would be fine with the likes of Syracuse, BC, Duke, Wake Forest, Rutgers, etc.
Acc is safe this round... Anything you're talking about is the next phase...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

OR

pac+byu/bsu/sdsu/unr/unlv/hawaii

sec+tex/tt/bay/tcu

acc+nd(fball)/uconn/ruty/wvu

b10+kan/kt/ok/okst/ist/#18

mwc=fresno/nm/nmst/utep/utst/idaho/mont/wy//cst/tulsa/nt/smu/uh/utsa/sj/rice/montst

southern ath conf=
mem/tul/ulm/latech/ull/arkst/smiss/mt/fiu/fau/usf/ucf/gast/uab/troy/ecu/appst/furman

mac+cincy/temple/lville/marsh/army/navy/odu

wala:D

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I can't believe 103 posts were posted in a thread about a person who tweets stuff that may or may not be true. Wow! Gotta love the randomness of conference realignment

Reaction Score
UConn will be fine if the eventual end state is five 16 team conferences. However, what if the end state is four 16 team conferences? The ACC is the vulnerable prey now that the Big East has been killed off.

The ACC just raised their exit fee to 3 times the annual operating budget. As of now, that is around $50 million. But the annual operating budget goes up practically every year. Which was the ingenious part about writing the new exit fee in that manner. That means the ACC's exit fee should increase every year from now on.

So no, the ACC really isn't going to be very vulnerable from this point forward. Any school that wants out would need to immediately announce their exit and get into court to challenge the validity of that new exit fee. But as it stands, the two schools that voted against the new exit fee appear content to stay in the ACC. Like it or not, the ACC commish has been pretty cutthroat in trying to save his conference and he appears to have done just that. He secured the ACC's borders with that new exit fee, and as every year passes that fee grows larger and the chances of a raid on the ACC becomes even smaller.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The ACC just raised their exit fee to 3 times the annual operating budget. As of now, that is around $50 million. But the annual operating budget goes up practically every year. Which was the ingenious part about writing the new exit fee in that manner. That means the ACC's exit fee should increase every year from now on.

So no, the ACC really isn't going to be very vulnerable from this point forward. Any school that wants out would need to immediately announce their exit and get into court to challenge the validity of that new exit fee. But as it stands, the two schools that voted against the new exit fee appear content to stay in the ACC. Like it or not, the ACC commish has been pretty cutthroat in trying to save his conference and he appears to have done just that. He secured the ACC's borders with that new exit fee, and as every year passes that fee grows larger and the chances of a raid on the ACC becomes even smaller.
It also raises the question of how great the conference is, if we have to lock you down with egregious penalties for leaving.

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3
Espn/BigEast negotiations breaking apart. Espn not budging $8 mil for all sports members. NBC not a certainty at this point though.

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3
Espn/BigEast negotiations breaking apart. Espn not budging $8 mil for all sports members. NBC not a certainty at this point though.
As if we all didn't already know that.

Reaction Score
You know how stupid this college football realignment internet thing is? I posted a completely tongue in cheek thread two weeks ago and was linked to on three other significant message boards and twitter as a serious post. The MHVER3 barely has 700 followers, two thirds of which are probably fake....

So somebody posts a brainstorm over here on this very board about UConn exploring the idea of moving olympic sports to the ACC and the MHVER3 posts on cryptically on twitter about "rumblings", of course if he had posted his source he would have been instantly discredited.

What's the difference between this guy and Bleacher Report? I have no idea, and it doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3

Brilliant insight. I hear that we have an election in November. I just got some inside info from an election official (my absentee ballot\t).

Reaction Score
we need the b12 to add and more teams to move. its a race to 16 and eventually the sec is going to start it all. but it first needs the b12 to get to 12 so that they can have a ship game and match the winners up in that new bca bowl they made together. the answer will be 16 or 18 teams per conf for the big boys which allows a ton of good things including 2 divisions with full schedules etc. the b10 and acc will have to react eventually to the sec and b12. in due time uconn will be in a big 5 conf...

and, he's back.

Reaction Score
Where I do agree with HFD is that 18 is the best number for football. 9-9 allows 8 games and a crossover if you want it, and then the championship game would be between two teams who haven't met and are presumably good (so that there would be more excitement than in some rematch). In basketball, you can have two mini-conferences with home and home, and then play 2 crossover games.

It would be four major conferences, but really eight mini-conferences. I think this would be best for the fans.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd like it best.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Where I do agree with HFD is that 18 is the best number for football. 9-9 allows 8 games and a crossover if you want it, and then the championship game would be between two teams who haven't met and are presumably good (so that there would be more excitement than in some rematch). In basketball, you can have two mini-conferences with home and home, and then play 2 crossover games.

It would be four major conferences, but really eight mini-conferences. I think this would be best for the fans.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd like it best.

bball-round robin of 17 games and 1 rival game. the same rival as your cross over fball game if u have 1 possibly. other sports can play there divisions to limit travel $$. max tv programing and so much more. i dont get why it isn't the asnwer.

Reaction Score
bball-round robin of 17 games and 1 rival game. the same rival as your cross over fball game if u have 1 possibly. other sports can play there divisions to limit travel $$. max tv programing and so much more. i dont get why it isn't the asnwer.

The main reason is that you'd have to blow up the current conferences. You can't get to reasonable rivalries without sort of starting from scratch. Either the ACC or the Bxii would have to go--but practically they'd all have to swap teams. Also, where PAC go to get to 18?

So what you'd have to do is just make brand new conferences up from:
  1. BC
  2. Clemson
  3. Duke
  4. FSU
  5. GT
  6. Maryland
  7. Miami
  8. UNC
  9. NCSt.
  10. UVa
  11. VT
  12. WF
  13. Baylor
  14. ISU
  15. UK
  16. KSt.
  17. OU
  18. OSU
  19. TCU
  20. UT
  21. TTU
  22. WVU
  23. Illinois
  24. Indiana
  25. Iowa
  26. Michigan
  27. MSU
  28. Minnesota
  29. Nebraska
  30. Northwestern
  31. Ohio State
  32. Penn State
  33. Purdue
  34. Wisconsin
  35. Arizona
  36. Arizona State
  37. Cal
  38. Stanford
  39. Oregon
  40. Oregon St.
  41. UCLA
  42. USC
  43. Utah
  44. Washington
  45. WSU
  46. Alabama
  47. Arkansas
  48. Auburn
  49. Florida
  50. Georgia
  51. Kentucky
  52. LSU
  53. Mississippi St.
  54. Ole Miss
  55. Missouri
  56. South Carolina
  57. Tennessee
  58. TA&M
  59. Vandy
  60. Syracuse
  61. Pitt
  62. Notre Dame
  63. UConn
  64. Louisville
  65. Rutgers
  66. BYU
And 6 other teams to get to the right number--Cincy? USF? Air Force? Boise?
Regardless, you'd have to redraw all the lines and all the conferences to get it to be coherent--otherwise the PAC can't expand among other things. Personally, that would be the best. Put us in a conference with BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, etc. and we'll have more natural rivalries because we can drive there.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The main reason is that you'd have to blow up the current conferences. You can't get to reasonable rivalries without sort of starting from scratch. Either the ACC or the Bxii would have to go--but practically they'd all have to swap teams. Also, where PAC go to get to 18?

So what you'd have to do is just make brand new conferences up from:
  1. BC
  2. Clemson
  3. Duke
  4. FSU
  5. GT
  6. Maryland
  7. Miami
  8. UNC
  9. NCSt.
  10. UVa
  11. VT
  12. WF
  13. Baylor
  14. ISU
  15. UK
  16. KSt.
  17. OU
  18. OSU
  19. TCU
  20. UT
  21. TTU
  22. WVU
  23. Illinois
  24. Indiana
  25. Iowa
  26. Michigan
  27. MSU
  28. Minnesota
  29. Nebraska
  30. Northwestern
  31. Ohio State
  32. Penn State
  33. Purdue
  34. Wisconsin
  35. Arizona
  36. Arizona State
  37. Cal
  38. Stanford
  39. Oregon
  40. Oregon St.
  41. UCLA
  42. USC
  43. Utah
  44. Washington
  45. WSU
  46. Alabama
  47. Arkansas
  48. Auburn
  49. Florida
  50. Georgia
  51. Kentucky
  52. LSU
  53. Mississippi St.
  54. Ole Miss
  55. Missouri
  56. South Carolina
  57. Tennessee
  58. TA&M
  59. Vandy
  60. Syracuse
  61. Pitt
  62. Notre Dame
  63. UConn
  64. Louisville
  65. Rutgers
  66. BYU
And 6 other teams to get to the right number--Cincy? USF? Air Force? Boise?

Regardless, you'd have to redraw all the lines and all the conferences to get it to be coherent--otherwise the PAC can't expand among other things. Personally, that would be the best. Put us in a conference with BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, etc. and we'll have more natural rivalries because we can drive there.

im having a hard time reading that well written list without slashes and less numbers.

i think that u don't need to blow everything up, you just need the sec and b10 to say its time to blow up the b12 and go for it. the rest would fall in place from there.

Reaction Score
pac 12 would have to take texas/texas tech/baylor/tcu/oklahoma/ok st. The remaining kansas/k-state/isu trio join a north/midwest conf with B1G schools. WVU comes back to the East.

That was my best Dan impression.

In all seriousness the best thing that could have happened for UConn was the destruction of the Big 12. I don't see that happening now though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah my idiot ramblings like Clemson and FSU were never leaving the ACC? Or maybe the time I predicted Duke Vandy and Rice running off together.

Fromtheinside was a psychopath? That guy knew what he was talking about and explained himself in a clear way - you just didn't like what he was saying.

This guy was caught replying to himself - why would any stable person with real info do that. They would post what they know and let the outcome prove them right.

Where are all the big NBC talkers lately anyway - I've been missing the predictions for the billions the Big East is getting from NBC.

What's the point in jawing about it? It will be what it will be.

Reaction Score
im having a hard time reading that well written list without slashes and less numbers.

i think that u don't need to blow everything up, you just need the sec and b10 to say its time to blow up the b12 and go for it. the rest would fall in place from there.

If its the B10 and the SEC that decide to blow up the Big XII, I think we're screwed, because there are enough teams there where they can leave the ACC alone--and the Pac could get to 18.

If everyone's going to 16--you need the PAC to take Tex/TT/OKSt/OU (Kansas and KSt.? if 18). I'm not sure that this works as a conference. But whatever.

I put some slashes in there for you. :)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If its the B10 and the SEC that decide to blow up the Big XII, I think we're screwed, because there are enough teams there where they can leave the ACC alone--and the Pac could get to 18.

If everyone's going to 16--you need the PAC to take Tex/TT/OKSt/OU (Kansas and KSt.? if 18). I'm not sure that this works as a conference. But whatever.

I put some slashes in there for you. :)

my view is that by the sec and b10 gettin g to 16 or 18 then the acc has to act like a big dog and get to that desired # also. in which case uconn would hopefully be that pick.

i can see a dinner where the 2 commish say ok lets be fair and help each other out. i take tex and tt and you take ok and okst and then we fill in from there. were both making positive money with those 2 each as starters so lets kill the b12 off and get going with the new bcs life of 4 power confs.

as for the pac, the east coast confs will try to f the pac as result. the pac has good fball schools to pick still in byu and bsu. are those 2 as big time as ok/okst or tex/tt? no but they are qaulity adds to any league. the pac has those 2 they just have to stop being stuburn about it. from there sdsu and nevada schools are all potential. i think the $ will be there for the pac. the fbll prodiuct will suffer until the potentiual is reached in a couple schools but they are the only show out west which means the $$ will always be there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What's the point in jawing about it? It will be what it will be.

If any poster who self-identified as a fan of another school came on this board and posted exactly the same things as Whaler, they would probably have been banned long ago. Because he self-identifies as a UConn fan, Whaler basically gets a free pass to trash UConn endlessly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If any poster who self-identified as a fan of another school came on this board and posted exactly the same things as Whaler, they would probably have been banned long ago. Because he self-identifies as a UConn fan, Whaler basically gets a free pass to trash UConn endlessly.

Funny. Because I correctly identify the Newest Big East as a terrible league I should be banned. That I can see that there is no magic pot of gold at the end of the NBC rainbow? Every rational person in the world thinks this conference blows, it's a national punchline Nobody in their right mind thinks being in a league with Memphis and Temple is a good thing. Every school in the league would set themselves on fire to get out.

Not being able to separate UConn and the Big East is a reflection on you, not me. Maybe SMU and SDSU get your panties moist - I'd be much happier to never have to think about them again.

This league is a death sentence for UConn. Either get out or die trying. You and Pudge want to pretend it's Amazon, good for you - it's pets.com.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This league is a death sentence for UConn. Either get out or die trying. You and Pudge want to pretend it's Amazon, good for you - it's pets.com.

What does that even mean? Do you think no one has thought of trying to get out of the league? Are you really that stupid? If anyone wanted UConn, UConn would be in another league. That logic is simple enough that even you should understand it. Should UConn try harder to get out? What does that mean, and how would it happen? Say "pretty please"? Send flowers? Hookers? WTF do you think Herbst has been doing for the past 12 months?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What does that even mean? Do you think no one has thought of trying to get out of the league? Are you really that stupid? If anyone wanted UConn, UConn would be in another league. That logic is simple enough that even you should understand it. Should UConn try harder to get out? What does that mean, and how would it happen? Say "pretty please"? Send flowers? Hookers? WTF do you think Herbst has been doing for the past 12 months?

What don't you understand?

You act as if everyone saying that says the Big East sucks thinks we have some viable alternative that hasn't been exercised. We all know we're stuck here and there's nothing we can do about it.

My point of contention among others is that this conference situation is going to severely hamper UConn athletics financially and in terms of national exposure and prestige. The divide that is being created between the the chosen and the non chosen is getting larger and larger with every tv and bowl contract signed.

No amount of NBC Sports coming to save the day talk or if we fight hard enough, the underdog will win, little rah-rah story will change that.

So, I guess myself and Whaler and company would probably agree to stop pointing out facts and realism about our situation if you and Pudge would stop with your NBC Sports and NNBE fantasies.

Call it whatever you want, but the only long term hope for UConn is to play well enough, create more of an tv audience, and hopefully one day be invited to another conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom