Men's soccer 2018 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2018

Reaction Score
Clutch win last night, and I hate to be a downer... but, let's look at where we're at:

4-2 record
4 wins against 4 weak opponents, 2 of those wins required penalty and/or free kicks, 1 required 2OT and a hat-trick, 1 (against Dartmouth) they were outplayed and lucky that their striker was injured
2 losses against ranked teams, albeit highly ranked teams. Both losses were significant in style and/or score.

RI and Akron cancellations may have been a blessing as both were likely losses, certainly Akron.

Players on the team continue to say Reid is out of touch with the modern game, not a strategist, has no real plan and primarily uses motivation as his coaching tool. His history is great, but how much more of a decline can UConn take? Nothing this year suggests any improvement and possibly a continuation of the decline.

Time for the school to vote in favor of competitiveness and let Reid go.

Reaction Score

Reid with some really nice things to say about Thiam, who really seems like a great kid

Reaction Score
Clutch win last night, and I hate to be a downer... but, let's look at where we're at:

4-2 record
4 wins against 4 weak opponents, 2 of those wins required penalty and/or free kicks, 1 required 2OT and a hat-trick, 1 (against Dartmouth) they were outplayed and lucky that their striker was injured
2 losses against ranked teams, albeit highly ranked teams. Both losses were significant in style and/or score.

RI and Akron cancellations may have been a blessing as both were likely losses, certainly Akron.

Players on the team continue to say Reid is out of touch with the modern game, not a strategist, has no real plan and primarily uses motivation as his coaching tool. His history is great, but how much more of a decline can UConn take? Nothing this year suggests any improvement and possibly a continuation of the decline.

Few things:
Dartmouth and Loyola both have decent-to-good teams, neither win should be brushed off. Notre Dame and Indiana are going to make a lot of teams look bad this year. UConn has won every game they were supposed to up to this point, no need to jump off the cliff just yet.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

4-2 record

really doubt the dolt AD David Benedict will do anything about RR
Ray has been struggling lately and conference realignment has really hurt recruiting
I see Ray staying on until the new stadium is baptized and they name the press box after him and he coaches the 1st year and retires
UConn mens soccer has a great history but the AAC will make it hard to get a top notch quality coach that the program deserves
Of course things could turn around with some nice wins and good showings in the NCAA tourney but to be honest, I don't see it right now
Ray is a really good guy and coach - the ACC, the Ivies and B10 is a thorn in UConn's side
I have jokingly said that UConn would be better off being an independent in mens soccer but there is no such animal

Reaction Score

4-2 record

For someone who hates to be a downer, good job. The test of the 2018 team will be making the NCAA's. Everybody is a bit alarmed at missing two straight years---especially due to late season fizzles. Dartmouth has won 4 straight Ivy titles, Loyola Md retured every scoring point from Patriot League reg season champions. Wins on paper, barely, but they are not weak opponents. Akron was not a certain loss--- they are 2-3-1. Good job by both UConn and Loyola to quickly schedule a competitive game....Akron brought in Canisius for a 10-0 win. The coaches, working with limited schollies, are not complacent. Newcomers Metzler (germany), and Lapert (france) appear to be studs right away. I think there's real evidence of improvement, if not national title potential. Since when is it a bad sign, when your senior striker is "required" to get a hat trick?

4-2 record

Reaction Score
One other thing to remember. For the last several seasons, UConn men's soccer has consistently had early season losses or ties to non conference teams that they simply should have beaten. Last season the loss to Iona and the tie to North Florida were perfect examples of this, and there are other results similar to this over the course of several previous seasons. On the plus side for this year, a bad result to a less than stellar non conference team has not happened this season, at least not yet. As for their next game, Boston College is shaping up as a team this year that the Huskies really need to beat.

Reaction Score
"National title potential"... please. Won't win conference. Won't be in the tournament. Will struggle for 500. I'm all for school spirit and supporting the team, but that's serious head-in-the-sand stuff. Metzler and Lapert are good tacklers that add to defense , but lose the ball too often - which for the team is the primary problem in attack - leading to long shots and crosses. Which in reality is a coaching problem. I'm with the team, but when there are roadblocks in the team's path to success, the best course of action is to remove the roadblocks.

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
Don't expect things to change
As a lifelong UConn men's soccer fan I've experienced plenty of heartbreaks and frustration in the past. Surprisingly I'm more frustrated with this program over the last 4 years more than any missed penalty kick. What is frustrating is knowing things aren't going to change for some time. After previously donating 100,00 in 2017 RR gave 250,000 to the new stadium, unrelated of course after not making the tournament that year. Until the new stadium is built UC0nn will be lucky to make the tournament. The environment within UConn soccer program has zero chance of being successful. Reid gives zero soccer tactic advice, instead, his coaching strategy fear motivation. Ask any soccer recuirter in the nation and they will tell you UConn has endless talent (this year i think much less then usual) The man behind the soccer tatics Coach Miller has been a huge disapointment. Hired due to his reputation as one the best recuirters in the nation.He treats his favorites like royalty and babies, meanwhile treats every other player like worthless trash. Sources around the program tell me the transfers of Niko Petridis and Austin Dasavilla were directly due to how coach miller treated them. UConns environment is so bad that in 2015 the freshman class was 12 players. UConn Men's Soccer Reloads After Disappointing 2014 Season

From those players there are two left:
-Abdou and Nkosi Burgess

the year before that 11 freshman
-3 stayed there whole career

That is no recipe to winning, but until RR cant going thing aren'trnt changing.
Coach Rieds control over this program has turned toxic and its suffered in every way
-1 tournament appearance in 4 years
-strength coach Chris West (who worked with the 2011 bball team) played much lower role
-coach west worked with the soccer team for 15+ years and players loved him
-Reid refused to listen to his idvice on recovery/safty of plaayers
-As team struggled there was less focus on stregnth and condition just soccer
-west was pivitol to uconns past sucess
-attendance is down
-no one wants to watch ray reids outdated boring soccer style
-espically when you have so much talent to showcase
-less focus on international
-the college soccer game has changed, recuirt locally
-unless you pay attention to youth soccer you are probably unaware how much the talent pool in america soccer has grown ESPICALLY in the north east
-college soccer teams who are winning today are filled with players from the US development academy
-wake forest who is ranked #1 right now has a roster of 26 players
-19 of them came from the US development academy... oh and one of there senior starters used to play for oakwood (CT acadamy team)
-UConn could be a recuirting power house
-new coach
-new stadium
-attencence
-best acadmies are in the northeast nyc,philly,dc area is loaded

Reaction Score
As a lifelong UConn men's soccer fan I've experienced plenty of heartbreaks and frustration in the past. Surprisingly I'm more frustrated with this program over the last 4 years more than any missed penalty kick. What is frustrating is knowing things aren't going to change for some time. After previously donating 100,00 in 2017 RR gave 250,000 to the new stadium, unrelated of course after not making the tournament that year. Until the new stadium is built UC0nn will be lucky to make the tournament. The environment within UConn soccer program has zero chance of being successful. Reid gives zero soccer tactic advice, instead, his coaching strategy fear motivation. Ask any soccer recuirter in the nation and they will tell you UConn has endless talent (this year i think much less then usual) The man behind the soccer tatics Coach Miller has been a huge disapointment. Hired due to his reputation as one the best recuirters in the nation.He treats his favorites like royalty and babies, meanwhile treats every other player like worthless trash. Sources around the program tell me the transfers of Niko Petridis and Austin Dasavilla were directly due to how coach miller treated them. UConns environment is so bad that in 2015 the freshman class was 12 players. UConn Men's Soccer Reloads After Disappointing 2014 Season

-Abdou and Nkosi Burgess

Coach Rieds control over this program has turned toxic and its suffered in every way
-strength coach Chris West (who worked with the 2011 bball team) played much lower role
-attendance is down
-unless you pay attention to youth soccer you are probably unaware how much the talent pool in america soccer has grown ESPICALLY in the north east
-college soccer teams who are winning today are filled with players from the US development academy
-19 of them came from the US development academy... oh and one of there senior starters used to play for oakwood (CT acadamy team)
-new coach
-new stadium
-attencence

You friends with SoccerBob?

Reaction Score

-Abdou and Nkosi Burgess

-attendance is down
-new coach
-new stadium
-attencence
any idea where austin dasilva transfered to?

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
You friends with SoccerBob?

Spent 2 fall seasons 2015 and 2016 working with the team, built relationships with all the players. I was around the team every day, at practice, plane trips, and also off the field. The guys were all open cool guys, the entire team was very close. Off the field they all went out together, always was a great time to be around. Captains Kwame Kwame Awuah and Jake Jake Nerwinski made it that every player felt equal. That changed on the field due to RR's incompetence to coach u8 soccer anymore. I saw things I wish I never saw. Its similar to the saying "never meet your heros" well the UConn soccer program was that for me as a child. I dreamed of working with the team but had to leave because I couldn't watch my friends be constantly abused over and over again. The environment was extremely depressing, the mind games RR played on the players were so twisted, selfish, and messed up a lot of players. Forget winning games, lets take a look into the mental health of the mens soccer team. I know when I was there I couldn't get over how every player on the team is either depressed bc things aren't going well or anxious because things are going well but know one mistake could be it. I saw it take a mental toll on a lot of the players. It was the last thing I expected and still bothers me today. They were not a weak group, they worked hard, that wasn't the problem. It was how RR's threats started crossing the line. I can't imagine going to class after my coach told me if I don't play better next game is going back to Sweeden. Or the local CT kid who just got screamed at if he "doesn't change his attitude hell be playing for Hartford and be known as the hometown bust by spring"

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
any idea where Austin DaSilva transferred to?

Will not be playing D1 this fall season. He is expected to be enrolled in another school for the spring semester. After his respectable freshman year as well as the talent he isn't going to have any issues finding another top school. After months of growing tension between Assistant Coach Miller and Austin hit a breaking point and Austin said he is leaving, Miller offered him a higher % scholarship in an effort to get him to stay but DaSilva had enough

Reaction Score
Spent 2 fall seasons 2015 and 2016 working with the team, built relationships with all the players. I was around the team every day, at practice, plane trips, and also off the field. The guys were all open cool guys, the entire team was very close. Off the field they all went out together, always was a great time to be around. Captains Kwame Kwame Awuah and Jake Jake Nerwinski made it that every player felt equal. That changed on the field due to RR's incompetence to coach u8 soccer anymore. I saw things I wish I never saw. Its similar to the saying "never meet your heros" well the UConn soccer program was that for me as a child. I dreamed of working with the team but had to leave because I couldn't watch my friends be constantly abused over and over again. The environment was extremely depressing, the mind games RR played on the players were so twisted, selfish, and messed up a lot of players. Forget winning games, lets take a look into the mental health of the mens soccer team. I know when I was there I couldn't get over how every player on the team is either depressed bc things aren't going well or anxious because things are going well but know one mistake could be it. I saw it take a mental toll on a lot of the players. It was the last thing I expected and still bothers me today. They were not a weak group, they worked hard, that wasn't the problem. It was how RR's threats started crossing the line. I can't imagine going to class after my coach told me if I don't play better next game is going back to Sweeden. Or the local CT kid who just got screamed at if he "doesn't change his attitude hell be playing for Hartford and be known as the hometown bust by spring"

Better or worse than the environment that was in place during Morrone's last few seasons at Storrs. I never heard of mind games and such (other than a lack of fire and drive); but, he definitely lost a step on the recruiting and strategy side towards the end.

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
Better or worse than the environment that was in place during Morrone's last few seasons at Storrs. I never heard of mind games and such (other than a lack of fire ancd drive); but, he definitely lost a step on the recruiting and strategy side towards the end.

Ray Reid doesn't do any of the recruiting, he has always had an assistant completely in charge in the recruiting, he travels all around the world and the comes back to coach reid with the players. One high recruit never even spoke to RR before coming to uconn he communicated through the assiant coach. Reid does nothing, he is just a grumpy lame duck. So tired of his coaching style and it just keeos getting worse

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have been involved in soccer as a coach at many levels in the state of CT since the late 70s. I have worked at Coach M's camps and I have known Coach RR since his SCSU days as player and coach.
Coach M could recruit and coach an effective game plan up to the day he retired.
I am not a fan of RR's approach to game strategy and have made that point numerous times on this site and even to him and to one person he really listened to - his father. I have been very critical of him in some areas of his coaching.
RR has the respect and love of many past players at SCSU and at UConn - I know so many of them and their attitude towards him has not changed. Many of his past players have worked closely with new players at UConn and I have not heard any feedback approaching the level of what bill6319 states. One would think that even the idiot AD David Benedict would be involved if he caught wind that things were/are as bad as Bill6319 portray. An atmosphere as portrayed by Bill cannot be hidden or go unseen.
Of course there will be players to whom RR just can't relate or visa versa, that is common. I have faced that with a few extremely talented players who I either cut loose or allowed to leave - it hurt my teams but it is my team and if that player can't play in my environment - adios.
Ray Reid does recruit and has been particularly effective in Long Island/Staten Island as well as through his connections overseas and at the numerous academies in the south. To say he doesn't recruit is a flat out BS statement. I know for a fact that he does. Asst Coach Miller does most of the recruiting in the past 2 years - since he joined in 2016.
Does he yell, does he sometimes seem to be demeaning? Hell yeah, so did Jim Calhoun, so does Randy Edsall, so does plenty of very successful coaches in any sport at all levels. Joe Morrone said things that would raise the hair on the back of your neck but his kids were tough - not like the spoiled, over sensitive kids of the past 5-10 years. The quotes about "going back to Sweden or a hometown bust" can be heard in practices at the highest levels. Kids (I won't classify these as adults) need to grow a spine. Has RR and his staff ever physically punished or penalized a player?
Does it hurt some kids? yeah but only the prima donnas let it affect them negatively and keep it in and then percolate tension by rifling innuendos to fellow players and create irritation.
I am not with the team in the intimate manner that Bill6319 says he has enjoyed but I cannot imagine that things are close to being as bad as what he has portrayed.
I am not here to call Bill6319 to be less than forthright but it feels to me that he has/had an issue with AC Miller and that has evolved into a disdain to RR. I have met and spoken to Miller on a few occasions and remember him when he was on the staff at Cuse. He was known to be a tireless and relentless recruiter at Duke and as I remember was named one of the top assistant coaches in the nation at Duke and was recognized earlier this year as one of the top 5 ACs to watch in the country. I have heard he can fly off the handle but I would hope if he became as bad as Bill states - it is being looked into.
UConn soccer is not at the same level as it once enjoyed - neither is football or mens basketball.
In my opinion, I feel it somewhat inappropriate and puzzling why someone would be so pointed and explicit in a forum such as this and not bring it to the attention of the power that be.
My hope for the program, which I first watched with my father in the early19 60's where the field ran east to west and there were only 2 benches on one side of the field for teams and no bleachers or lights, will return to the glory days but times are different....

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
I have been involved in soccer as a coach at many levels in the state of CT since the late 70s. I have worked at Coach M's camps and I have known Coach RR since his SCSU days as player and coach.
Coach M could recruit and coach an effective game plan up to the day he retired.
I am not a fan of RR's approach to game strategy and have made that point numerous times on this site and even to him and to one person he really listened to - his father. I have been very critical of him in some areas of his coaching.
RR has the respect and love of many past players at SCSU and at UConn - I know so many of them and their attitude towards him has not changed. Many of his past players have worked closely with new players at UConn and I have not heard any feedback approaching the level of what bill6319 states. One would think that even the idiot AD David Benedict would be involved if he caught wind that things were/are as bad as Bill6319 portray. An atmosphere as portrayed by Bill cannot be hidden or go unseen.
Of course there will be players to whom RR just can't relate or visa versa, that is common. I have faced that with a few extremely talented players who I either cut loose or allowed to leave - it hurt my teams but it is my team and if that player can't play in my environment - adios.
Ray Reid does recruit and has been particularly effective in Long Island/Staten Island as well as through his connections overseas and at the numerous academies in the south. To say he doesn't recruit is a flat out BS statement. I know for a fact that he does. Asst Coach Miller does most of the recruiting in the past 2 years - since he joined in 2016.
Does he yell, does he sometimes seem to be demeaning? Hell yeah, so did Jim Calhoun, so does Randy Edsall, so does plenty of very successful coaches in any sport at all levels. Joe Morrone said things that would raise the hair on the back of your neck but his kids were tough - not like the spoiled, over sensitive kids of the past 5-10 years. The quotes about "going back to Sweden or a hometown bust" can be heard in practices at the highest levels. Kids (I won't classify these as adults) need to grow a spine. Has RR and his staff ever physically punished or penalized a player?
Does it hurt some kids? yeah but only the prima donnas let it affect them negatively and keep it in and then percolate tension by rifling innuendos to fellow players and create irritation.
I am not with the team in the intimate manner that Bill6319 says he has enjoyed but I cannot imagine that things are close to being as bad as what he has portrayed.
I am not here to call Bill6319 to be less than forthright but it feels to me that he has/had an issue with AC Miller and that has evolved into a disdain to RR. I have met and spoken to Miller on a few occasions and remember him when he was on the staff at Cuse. He was known to be a tireless and relentless recruiter at Duke and as I remember was named one of the top assistant coaches in the nation at Duke and was recognized earlier this year as one of the top 5 ACs to watch in the country. I have heard he can fly off the handle but I would hope if he became as bad as Bill states - it is being looked into.
UConn soccer is not at the same level as it once enjoyed - neither is football or mens basketball.
In my opinion, I feel it somewhat inappropriate and puzzling why someone would be so pointed and explicit in a forum such as this and not bring it to the attention of the power that be.
My hope for the program, which I first watched with my father in the early19 60's where the field ran east to west and there were only 2 benches on one side of the field for teams and no bleachers or lights, will return to the glory days but times are different....

This is the problem right here exactly, the disconect between the new style college soccer and old fashion. RR cant and wont ever get it done again. The team has such little respect for the coaching staff that DaSavilla told coach miller he was leaving the team bc of him over speaker phone while 10+ team mates laughed in the background. Yeah everything seems fine

Reaction Score
John Tuite is not able to be at the soccer game tonight against USF, so there is no WHUS broadcast of the game. The WHUS sports department has really declined in recent years. It used to be that if Tuite wasn't able to do a soccer game, especially at home , someone on the sports staff would sub for him. It seemed that about five years ago there were a bunch of students interested in doing the soccer games, so this wasn't a problem. This was a pretty common practice until few years ago when WHUS started having trouble finding student broadcasters who would cover post season tournaments. Now it seems that no students at all are interested in broadcasting either men's or women's soccer on WHUS. This mirrors an overall decline in participation and/or interest in the WHUS sports department, as the station had trouble staffing the station to broadcast basketball games and other sports last winter. It also mirrors a decline in people interested in doing shows on WHUS in general, as large chunks of air time now have automated programming rather than having a live person in the studio.

Reaction Score
No stat gametracker tonight as well. Pretty bad. At least Husky All Access is working. 1-1 tie late in the first half.

Reaction Score
No stat gametracker tonight as well. Pretty bad. At least Husky All Access is working. 1-1 tie late in the first half.

The stat feed is now working. 1-1 tie at the half.

Reaction Score
USF scores with about 13 minutes left to take a 2-1 lead.

Reaction Score
USF scores with about 13 minutes left to take a 2-1 lead.

Two minutes later, Thiam scores his second goal of the game to tie it up at 2. Seventh goal of the season for Thiam.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom