Men's soccer 2018 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2018

Reaction Score
Game ends in a 2-2 tie. South Florida has 2 wins on the season, so this has to be considered a disappointing result for UConn.

Reaction Score
Game ends in a 2-2 tie. South Florida has 2 wins on the season, so this has to be considered a disappointing result for UConn.
I'm not remotely surprised. The team hasn't won this sort of game in conference in like 4 years it seems. Frustrating to say the least.

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
I hope they are able to somehow make something out of this season, especially for Abdou. He has given everything he has on off the field for this university these past 4 years he deserves to recognized as one of the best forwards in the nation.

Reaction Score
Another Reid tactical failure. Good teams play with a system and balance. Offensively, the two defensive midfielders drop into the backfield to take the ball of center backs, no one fills in the gaps, ending up leaving the middle empty with the only option to play long balls or around the outside. When the ball is lost, the opposition has acres of space to control the game. This was evident in the first half. In the second, Blaise and Felix stopped chasing and played more aggressively to disrupt USF's flow a bit better, but the general strategy remained the same. Defensively, they chase the ball instead of working together to cut out passing lanes. Once one gets beat the rest are exposed as the numbers turn against them. What's worse, despite being their most skilled player, players saying Burnett doesn't start because he openly disagrees with coaches. They punish him by starting the ineffective Yeates, although he did play the majority of the game. The stories from the players make it clear that Reid's and Miller's egos drive decisions and are driving players away (many considering transferring like Da Silva and Petridis). They've got to go for this to turn around.

Reaction Score
In addition to the goal by Harris, so far UConn has sent two shots off the post in the second half.

Reaction Score
After the second week of the AAC conference schedule, UConn men's soccer will either be in first place all by themselves or in a tie with South Florida if the Bulls beat Tulsa at home tonight.

Reaction Score
Great win over the weekend. I wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like they did quite well. I was however able to see Louisville vs. NC State. As I did, I wondered about the differences between the 3 programs. In style and results, UConn lags far behind. Louisville's and NCS's midfield is far better, where most games are decided. How could that be? Reid has (had?) the national clout and program history to recruit top players. However, our team is based on speed and long-balls while the top teams focus on technical ability, cohesive strategy and player intelligence. I know UConn has intelligent and technical players on the bench, but Reid continues to favor those who run faster but lose the ball more often. As we continue to watch the program degrade in results and style, what does the future hold? Even if we improve relative to last year (I still doubt it), can Reid's basic style compete with the more complete approach of others? My view is clear. Respect for Reid is great, but what about respect for the program and the players? Reid has to go.

Reaction Score
Just met up with a couple players. Here's the story on Memphis. Apparently their key player, a formal La Masia kid from Barcelona, was ripping UConn to shreds but got hurt early. Memphis didn't know what to do once he left the game. UConn took over. 2nd goal was a freebee as Memphis pushed everyone forward to equalize.

Technical ability and game intelligence wins over speed and brutality every time. But let's keep trying the same thing for 20 years. It might eventually work.

Reaction Score
UConn soccer game at Providence got off to a 7pm start in the rain, no doubt due to the Friars having an artificial turf field. At 11:48 to go in the first half, game was put into a lightning delay. No score.

Reaction Score
Game resumes in the rain (but no more lightning, at least for now) after about a half hour delay, Providence quickly takes a 1-0 lead into halftime.

Reaction Score
30 minutes to go in the second half, another lightning delay, just as John Tuite thought UConn was starting to play better. 1-0, Providence with the lead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
30 minutes to go in the second half, another lightning delay, just as John Tuite thought UConn was starting to play better. 1-0, Providence with the lead.
If you are out in that weather you are hard core!

Reaction Score
Game called on account of lightning, game goes down as a no result, since they did not play enough minutes for it to count.

Reaction Score
Its not college; but, the same storm caused a bit of controversy here in Jersey High School Soccer. #1 (state and National) Northern Highlands girl's team was taking on undefeated local rival Ramapo. The game was 2-2 in the 2nd OT and it suddenly thundered. Everyone except for Ramapo stopped to look around. Before the ref blew the whistle to stop play, Ramapo took a quick thrown-in, crossed it in the box and drilled it into the net for a 3-2 golden goal win.Northern Highlands' coach ran out to the field and was chasing the referee using her hands to single for a VAR review, which, of course, there is none in Jersey High School soccer while it begins to pour and lighting around her. I am sure if they meet in the County Final in 2 weeks, it will be an interesting environment.

Reaction Score
Heading into Friday...

>>Another #AmericanMSOC team in the national polls this week is @UCF_MSoccer - who is ranked #19 in the latest @UnitedCoaches poll.<<

Reaction Score
Things may be looking up on WHUS soccer broadcasts, not that there have been all that many of them. For the first time all season, John Tuite has a student in the broadcast booth with him for the Sacred Heart game.

Reaction Score
Sounds like UConn has had a goodly number of chances and carrying the play, but Sacred Heart gets the first goal of the game late in the first half off of a counter attack. 1-0 Pioneers with about 4 minutes to go in the first half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom