Men's soccer 2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2018

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A lot of side to side movement looking for cracks in the Niagara D but little straight forward pressure when the opportunity presents itself
This brand of soccer against opponents like this is driving me crazy
This team is not going to score enough playing like this - I realize it's early but it's not looking too promising
C'mon Ray open it up and play some north and south ball to mix it up

Reaction Score
UConn just a 1-0 lead on a penalty kick. About 20 minutes to go.

Reaction Score

UConn also opens the season by winning two games in three days. For a long time Ray Reid would go out of his way to avoid playing two regular season games in three days on the grounds that it would exhaust his players, despite the fact that post season conference tournaments and the NCAA final four feature the two games in three days format. So progress is made on another front.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I applaud the club on going 2-0 but based on the competition and the lack of scoring from the normal flow is troubling
Set plays and PKs will not be the answer going forward but I love a beautifully executed set piece anytime, any day
Congrats guys
BTW - beautiful night for a match

Reaction Score
The last couple years, this would have been the sort of game we tie or even lose in the dying minutes. To gut out a win in the second game of a 48 hour stretch is pretty encouraging. Friday against Notre Dame will be the real thermometer though.

Reaction Score
The last couple years, this would have been the sort of game we tie or even lose in the dying minutes. To gut out a win in the second game of a 48 hour stretch is pretty encouraging. Friday against Notre Dame will be the real thermometer though.

At least ND (#17) is at a semi-neutral site, Sunday's game against Indiana (#2) at Bloomington could be painful if UConn can't generate shots on goal.

Reaction Score
#18 in the coach's poll now

Awesome, but for those 2 wins? Looks like coaches still hold UCONN/Reid in high regard. I hope we prove them right.

Reaction Score
#18 in the coach's poll now

This ranking seems a bit sudden after getting very little notice in the preseason poll. Still, the games this weekend should give an indication whether that ranking for UConn is deserved. I would expect the Huskies to have a difficult time on Sunday playing a road game against No. 6 Indiana on Sunday. However, the Friday game against No. 24 Notre Dame ought to give an indication on how deserving UConn's new found place in the poll is.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn gets no mention at all in the College Soccer News top 30 poll. Indiana at No. 3, Notre Dame at No. 20.
To be honest, I wish they were going into the Midwest unranked - something about early ranking and the UConn men's soccer team in the last 1/2 dozen years just isn't good Karma
C'mon boys and tear 'em up
Indiana soccer is the one thing about U of Indiana that I have a shred of respect - as for Notre Dame I despise the school and it's programs (except strangely I do respect their womens basketball coach)

Reaction Score
UConn-Notre Dame game starting at 5:30. Half hour lightning delay. WHUS carrying first game of the season on the station.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame gets a goal late in the first half to make it 1-0 in their favor. Sounds like Notre Dame has generally had the better of the play.

Reaction Score
Halftime, Notre Dame has a 1-0 lead in a half that they dominated. John Tuite says that UConn having trouble stringing passes together.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame makes it 2-0 about 15 minutes into the second half.

Reaction Score
Ray Reid last week on the UConn podcast - "We scheduled this trip to Bloomington last minute because we knew what kind of team we'd have."

The kind that couldn't get a shot on goal until 44 minutes into the game? The kind to get dominated by a good but not great team on a neutral field? How does he consistently so misread his own team? When he lost in the NCAA's a couple years ago he was SO excited about the team coming back hinting they'd be championship contenders.. They collapsed at the end of the year and missed the NCAA's.

Good lord I can't think long about what has happened to both men's and women's soccer at this school because it just gets me way too pissed. It infuriates me. Really gotta hope Hurley gets men's hoop back and Edsall can clean up the mess he created because it looks like both soccer programs (both cornerstones of our athletic program for DECADES) are done. D-O-N-E.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom