Men's soccer 2018 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2018

Reaction Score
Had a feeling the ranking that happened after the first two games was premature. Just hope all the underclassmen show some growth as a team as the season progresses, that is the hope at this point.

I'll listen to it, but I can't imagine the Indiana game on Sunday will be much fun. UConn plays another ranked team at home against Dartmouth next weekend, we'll have to see how that goes.

Reaction Score
Ray Reid last week on the UConn podcast - "We scheduled this trip to Bloomington last minute because we knew what kind of team we'd have."

The kind that couldn't get a shot on goal until 44 minutes into the game? The kind to get dominated by a good but not great team on a neutral field? How does he consistently so misread his own team? When he lost in the NCAA's a couple years ago he was SO excited about the team coming back hinting they'd be championship contenders.. They collapsed at the end of the year and missed the NCAA's.

Good lord I can't think long about what has happened to both men's and women's soccer at this school because it just gets me way too pissed. It infuriates me. Really gotta hope Hurley gets men's hoop back and Edsall can clean up the mess he created because it looks like both soccer programs (both cornerstones of our athletic program for DECADES) are done. D-O-N-E.
For years Reid was able to bring in elite offensive and defensive players even when it was clear that he did not have a conventional attacking style. It's get the ball to a wing, have him invite a double or triple team, hope that the wing beats the double or triple team, advance the ball no more than 10 yards, put on the brakes and wait for the opponent to regroup, and then repeat. He thinks this approach is the safest way to attack. And despite years and years of season-ending failures with this style he refuses to change. Now the elite players are not coming or, if they do, they're jumping ship because they see that the approach is hopeless.

Reaction Score
In the first game from Bloomington today, Notre Dame beat Dartmouth 2-0.

Reaction Score
Indiana has a 1-0 lead at halftime, scoring on a corner kick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Indiana wins 1-0. While it sounded like Indiana was certainly the better team, UConn had a better showing tonight than they did against Notre Dame when they were miserable. Still, I would expect the Huskies to fall out of the rankings after this weekend.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1-0 is very respectful at IU I could care if they are ranked, I want to see some offense

Reaction Score
Shame to see how far the Men's and Women's teams have fallen. This is the first year I've decided not to renew my Huskies All-Access subscription. MSOC, WSOC, and Field Hockey made it worth it. As much as I love the Field Hockey program, I just can't do it.

Reaction Score
Players saying no competition for spots, only Miller's recruits play. No real coaching, attacking strategy, defensive structure or coherent game plan. Squeaked by two weak opponents, humiliated by ND, outplayed by IU. Dartmouth could decide the season and Reid's fate.

If true, not good...

Reaction Score
UConn men's soccer really could use a win against Dartmouth tonight. With non conference opponents like URI, Akron, and Boston College coming up in the schedule, there are no easy games on the schedule in the near future.

Reaction Score
UConn-Dartmouth, no score at the end of the 1st half.

Reaction Score
Abdou Mbacke Thiam with the header to put UConn up 1-0 with about 11 minutes left in the 2nd half. Assist from Dayonn Harris.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dartmouth is a pretty good side so the win is good
Still the offense is really anemic
RR has to figure this out - like NOW

Reaction Score
Don't know much about URI soccer; but, they beat a decent BU team on the road by a 2-0 score and a big home win against Penn St, 1-0 and based on the stats, URI controlled the game. In 5 games, they have not given-up a goal yet, which is impressive and could be an issue for UConn's anemic offense, while netting 12 goals. The team's roster looks split between US players from mostly the northeast (including CT) and northern Europe (Germany and the Nordics) with a lot of size (very few players under 5' 10").

Reaction Score
Good win last night, but also exposed ongoing concerns. UConn conceded the center to a more physical and more skilled pair and was forced, or prefer, to attack from the wings. Once Dartmouth lost their big striker, their attack suffered and UConn was able to grow into the game. However, whipping balls in from the outside and long-distance shots are low percentage approaches to scoring. Given the difficult schedule ahead, scraping by similar or lower quality teams isn't a good omen. I can't help but think Reid has fallen behind in his soccer thinking and needs to go before UConn becomes a has-been.

Reaction Score
Bummer. Would have liked to seen more like hear them play Akron. Probably woulda lost, bit they’re a top tier team. Is Loyola Maryland any good when compared to Akron?

Reaction Score
Bummer. Would have liked to seen more like hear them play Akron. Probably woulda lost, bit they’re a top tier team. Is Loyola Maryland any good when compared to Akron?

No way Loyola Maryland compares to a perennial power like Akron, a team that is regularly in the top 25. Plus Akron made the NCAA final four last season. Still Loyola can't be all that bad as they have beaten Rutgers (3-0) and St. John's (1-0) this season. On the downside, they lost 1-0 to Villanova. Loyola Maryland has a 3-1 record, so I would expect this to be a competitive game for UConn.

Akron also rescheduled, they have a home game against Canisius on Saturday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom