Men's soccer 2017 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2017

Reaction Score
Late in the first half, UConn is awarded a penalty kick. Freshman Blaise N'gague converts on the pk, so the game is now tied at 1.

Reaction Score
UConn's play picks up in the 2nd half. However, 10 minutes into the half Maryland picks up a goal to make 2-1 in favor of the Terps.

Reaction Score
24 minutes to go, Maryland picks up another goal to make it 3-1.

Reaction Score
UConn makes it interesting when Nick Apostol picks up his first goal as a Husky to make 3-2 Maryland with about 3 minutes left in the game.

Reaction Score
Game over, Maryland wins 3-2. After playing nine out of its first 10 games at home, UConn now goes on a 3 game road trip starting with Cincinnati on Saturday.

Reaction Score
4,160 there last night. Not as much as the Quinnipiac game of 4,666

Both great for mondays. Wish there was more last night for such a big game.

Jeff Jacobs: UConn Soccer's Chance For Glory Slips Away

Until the above Jeff Jacobs column on the Maryland game, the Courant had not sent a reporter to cover a UConn men’s soccer game since the first two games of the season against Iona and Quinnipiac, when Mathew Conyers wrote game stories. I recall Ray Reid did not talk to the press after the Iona loss, so I was wondering if that might be part of the reason for Conyers and The Courant not covering any of the intervening games.

Reaction Score
Until the above Jeff Jacobs column on the Maryland game, the Courant had not sent a reporter to cover a UConn men’s soccer game since the first two games of the season against Iona and Quinnipiac, when Mathew Conyers wrote game stories. I recall Ray Reid did not talk to the press after the Iona loss, so I was wondering if that might be part of the reason for Conyers and The Courant not covering any of the intervening games.
For some time the Courant hasn't written any articles beyond a preseason article and the first game or two. I don't know if it's because there's nothing positive to write about or they simply don't use Conyers for more than the early 1-2 articles. Never a season-ending article but that wouldn't be very upbeat.

Reaction Score
For some time the Courant hasn't written any articles beyond a preseason article and the first game or two. I don't know if it's because there's nothing positive to write about or they simply don't use Conyers for more than the early 1-2 articles. Never a season-ending article but that wouldn't be very upbeat.

Not going to get better unless Jacobs starts going to the less “glamorous” games... Conyers has left the Courant to become Director of Communications for Xavier High School.

This is where the Daily Campus/UConnBlog coverage fills in.

Reaction Score

Not going to get better unless Jacobs starts going to the less “glamorous” games... Conyers has left the Courant to become Director of Communications for Xavier High School.

This is where the Daily Campus/UConnBlog coverage fills in.

I did not know Conyers left the Courant, so thanks for that info.

In previous seasons Conyers wouldn't cover every home game, but he did cover several games over the course of the season, plus he would do a few features on the team. It was a sort of semi regular coverage. Who knows if the Courant continues doing this semi regular coverage of the soccer team in the future without him.

Reaction Score
UConn wins @ Cincinnati 1-0
Now with 9 pts(3-0) 6-3-2.

USF w/ 6 pt(2-0) plays @ Tulsa 8pm

Reaction Score
UConn wins @ Cincinnati 1-0
Now with 9 pts(3-0) 6-3-2.

USF w/ 6 pt(2-0) plays @ Tulsa 8pm

USF beat Tulsa 3-2, so the Bulls are now tied for 1st with UConn.

Reaction Score
Big men's soccer game tonight. Both UConn and South Florida lead the conference with 9 points and are undefeated in the AAC. Whoever wins this game will have a big leg up on possibly winning the regular season title and having the home field advantage in the AAC tournament.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn wins 2-0 so is 4-0 in conference
Withstood a firestorm of shots in last 10 minutes but Levine and the hardware saved the shutout

Reaction Score
UConn wins 2-0 so is 4-0 in conference
Withstood a firestorm of shots in last 10 minutes but Levine and the hardware saved the shutout

Both UConn goals came in the first 8 minutes of the game. UConn is now in the drivers seat with sole possession of first place in the AAC with the victory over South Florida. Sounded like goalkeeper Scott Levene stood on his head in the final minutes to maintain the shutout. Noteworthy stat, UConn has not allowed a goal in four conference games this season. Three more conference games to go. Next game up is a non conference affair at Boston College next Tuesday.

Last edited:

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Both UConn goals came in the first 8 minutes of the game. UConn is now in the drivers seat with sole possession of first place in the AAC with the victory over South Florida. Sounded like goalkeeper Scott Levene stood on his head in the final minutes to maintain the shutout. Noteworthy stat, UConn has not allowed a goal in four conference games this season. Three more conference games to go. Next game up is a non conference affair at Boston College next Tuesday.
He stood on his head and more, the save on the scorpion heel kick thing was unreal.

Reactions: jho

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So what are our odds for the tournament? We stand at 7-3-2, which is solid but the 4-0-0 in conference is really big. I think if we win 4 of our 6 final games and get to at least the AAC championship game, we should be in.
To get nationally seeded, I think we may have to win out in conference and only drop one more game along in the way in OOC.

Reaction Score
So what are our odds for the tournament? We stand at 7-3-2, which is solid but the 4-0-0 in conference is really big. I think if we win 4 of our 6 final games and get to at least the AAC championship game, we should be in.
To get nationally seeded, I think we may have to win out in conference and only drop one more game along in the way in OOC.

Being undefeated in the AAC is big, as UConn may have to win the AAC tournament to get into the NCAA tourney.

UConn needs to do a lot of winning to get an at large bid in the NCAA tournament. Your suggestion of 2 more losses in the regular season and a loss in the AAC finals has me feeling that it would leave UConn on the wrong side of the NCAA tourney bubble. At most, they can maybe afford one more regular season loss and a loss in the AAC final, but even that could be stretching it.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the soccer team is growing as the year moves on? Good to hear hope they finish strong and get to the tourney where they belong

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom