Men's soccer 2017 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2017

Reaction Score
No score at end of regulation, despite UConn having a 14-1 shot advantage and 10 corner kicks. And yes, it sounds familiar.

Reaction Score
Finally! Halfway through the 1st overtime, after a Quinnipiac free kick from 22 yards out, Thiam scores to get UConn the win over Quinnipiac. Dylan Greenberg gets the assist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Finally!!! #11 gets the 1st goal of the season. He and the huskies had plenty of chances, but finally one went in. Hopefully will give them confidence for ND on Sat.

Last edited:

jho

Reaction Score
UConn men's soccer twitter feed has tonight's attendance at 4,666. It may be the first night back at school for the students, but it is terrific figure for a Monday night.
Great student turnout last night.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This program really needs to get its act together. The women too. We've got great history and a strong fan base. There's no reason why we should be so consistently disappointing.

Reaction Score
Game article from UConn's student newspaper, The Daily Campus, on last night's win over Quinnipiac. As you might expect, there are a few Ray Reid quotes in this article. The upshot is he believes he has the makings of a pretty good team shaping up this season:

Men’s Soccer: No. 24 UConn struggles to score, Thiam finds overtime winner

"In two matches, we've created more big-time chances, and this is dead serious, than we did in 21 matches last year," Reid said.

"[Greenberg] has been brilliant in these two games. Brilliant," Reid said. "In the 94th minute, look how he got down that flank in transition. Are you kidding me?"

"There were parts tonight, and parts Saturday night, we're playing four freshmen and four sophomores and they're pretty freaking good," Reid said. "We just have to accelerate the process but it's a good win. Some toughness, some resiliency... If we can navigate the first few more games here until we can get a few things under our legs, this group is gonna be good. This group's gonna be real good."

Reaction Score
"" If we can navigate the first few more games here until we can get a few things under our legs, this group is gonna be good. This group's gonna be real good.""

He said the same exact thing about last years team. All during the 2015 season he talked up the potential they had in 2016. The 2016 team lost 4 of their last 5 games and missed the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
"" If we can navigate the first few more games here until we can get a few things under our legs, this group is gonna be good. This group's gonna be real good.""

He said the same exact thing about last years team. All during the 2015 season he talked up the potential they had in 2016. The 2016 team lost 4 of their last 5 games and missed the NCAA Tournament.

At the end of the 2015 season I saw an article (might have been in the Hartford Courant) which had Ray Reid talking about possibly having a final four team in 2016. It was pretty clear as the 2016 season got under way that this was not the case.

I do find interesting the comment Reid had about all the quality chances the team had in the first two games this season in comparison to last season. I was at the Iona game and UConn did generate some good chances, the only problem was that almost all of those chances the ball wasn’t on net, generally going just over the crossbar. The missed penalty kick really put me in a sour mood on commenting on this. John Tuite on WHUS was also commenting on the quality chances and greater offensive cohesion as well during the Quinnipiac game. As with all things Ray Reid and UConn men’s soccer, we’ll just have to see if these chances start going into the net as the quality of the opponents on the schedule coming up improves. As a veteran of following UConn men’s soccer through the years, we’ll have to take a wait and see attitude to see if it actually happens, or to see if we are in for more of the same.

Reactions: jho
Reaction Score
Big game for men's soccer tonight against Notre Dame. The team needs to get positive results from some of these high profile out of conference matches.

Reaction Score
UConn has two starters, Dayonn Harris and Jacob Hauser-Ramsey, who are not playing tonight against Notre Dame due to injuries.

Reaction Score
UConn has more shots and corner kicks, but Notre Dame gets the first goal with about 6 minutes left in the match.

Reaction Score
From what I can tell, they played well against a top 10 opponent despite missing two starters. But despite outshooting and out cornering their opponents, UConn has no goals in regulation time through three games to go with their 1-2 record. Still, sooner or later you need to put the ball in the net no matter the quality of the opposing team. Just hope it is sometime this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at the game. It was a typical UConn soccer game as of late. UConn pretty much controlled the first half. But of course whenever they get a chance to finish they either hit it 10 yards over the goal or hit it in the one spot the keeper is. Their players simply can't finish opportunities for whatever reason. Kinda like how they lose on PK's. And of course ND gets one good chance and they finish it.

"“It’s inexcusable for us to lose that game,” UConn head coach Ray Reid said. “We’re in the business of winning and these guys need to learn how to win.”" "We can’t do that,” Reid said. “The game is about scoring and stopping goals.”

Going to my car 2 ND players were walking back to their locker room and we're talking about how they got outplayed. It made me think of how many other teams walked to the locker room facing UConn in recent years wondering how they came out on top. Seems to happen a lot. The game is about scoring and stopping goals.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The game is about scoring and stopping goals.

Ray said that out of frustration. You mimicked it because I feel that you believe it is that simple.

Glad you went to the game but next time really watch and try to understand what is evolving
Notre Dame has an explosive frontline and UConn played a 5 line back with only 2 targets up front. Even with that alignment, UConn outshot and outplayed ND. With an exception of a 10 minute segment in the second half, UConn controlled possession and tempo.
If Notre Dame is a top 20 team- I just shake my head
This team is markedly better than the one that stepped on the field vs. Iona
Please look back at my submissions concerning the program. I have been highly critical of the team and Ray in particular

But credit is due- I feel this team will be better than what we have seen the past 5 years.

Reaction Score
The game is about scoring and stopping goals.

Ray said that out of frustration. You mimicked it because I feel that you believe it is that simple.

Glad you went to the game but next time really watch and try to understand what is evolving
Notre Dame has an explosive frontline and UConn played a 5 line back with only 2 targets up front. Even with that alignment, UConn outshot and outplayed ND. With an exception of a 10 minute segment in the second half, UConn controlled possession and tempo.
If Notre Dame is a top 20 team- I just shake my head
This team is markedly better than the one that stepped on the field vs. Iona
Please look back at my submissions concerning the program. I have been highly critical of the team and Ray in particular

But credit is due- I feel this team will be better than what we have seen the past 5 years.

In addition to what you said, this is a young team with a number of key players that are new to the team, so they haven't had much of a chance to play the game with each other. The improvement that you have seen since the Iona game is all part of the deal with getting used to each other and playing as a team. I'd like to think that in addition to this and with the increase in the quality of offensive chances that has been referred to that actual goal scoring will follow.

Reaction Score
Dayton Harris (hamstring injury) is still out of the lineup against Georgetown. Jacob Hauser-Ramsey is playing tonight.

Reaction Score
Austin DaSilva gets an early goal to put UConn up 1-0. UConn's is ahead in a match for the first time all season.

Reaction Score
Georgetown ties it up on a penalty kick late in the 1st half.

Reaction Score
Tied at 1 at end of regulation. Another overtime game.

Reaction Score
Game ends with a 1-1 tie. Georgetown had the better of the play, John Tuite on WHUS was saying the Hoyas look like a legitimate top 20 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom