Men's soccer 2017 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2017

Reaction Score
A video preview of the 2017 season with some quick comments from various players. From the interviews it sounds like Nkosi Burgess has found a possible starting home on the defensive back line.

Last edited:
Reactions: jho
Reaction Score
a 4-1 exhibiton loss to a mid level ACC team in NC State?

I was at the game. UConn had a 1-0 lead until about 20 minutes left in the game. First goal by NC State was off of starting goalkeeper Scott Levene off a set piece. Shortly after that Levene came out of the game, as well as most if not all of the UConn starters. Then the flood gates really started up. NC State got rolling with their goal scoring when UConn defense started giving up way too many set pieces near the penalty box, and NC State took advantage.

UConn also lost at Rutgers last week on a goal late in the game when most of the reserves were in the game.

Reactions: jho

jho

Reaction Score
I was at the game. UConn had a 1-0 lead until about 20 minutes left in the game. First goal by NC State was off of starting goalkeeper Scott Levene off a set piece. Shortly after that Levene came out of the game, as well as most if not all of the UConn starters. Then the flood gates really started up. NC State got rolling with their goal scoring when UConn defense started giving up way too many set pieces near the penalty box, and NC State took advantage.

UConn also lost at Rutgers last week on a goal late in the game when most of the reserves were in the game.
I was there as well and agree with dbmill. All but the first NC State goal was against a lineup primarily made up of subs - 9 on the field together, I believe - while the Wolfpack played mostly starters for 90 minutes. That being said, UConn came out strong the first ten minutes of the game and then regressed into a typical Ray Reid tempo the remainder of the game.

Reaction Score
I was there as well and agree with dbmill. All but the first NC State goal was against a lineup primarily made up of subs - 9 on the field together, I believe - while the Wolfpack played mostly starters for 90 minutes. That being said, UConn came out strong the first ten minutes of the game and then regressed into a typical Ray Reid tempo the remainder of the game.

I was there as well. I agree. 1st 10 or so was good. The rest, not so much.

That #5 transfer from Penn State has a motor.

Reaction Score

UConn generally had the better of the play all night, but just couldn't seem to put a ball on net. They did generate a penalty shot early in the second half. Thiam took the shot, put it off the post and it missed. Does that sound familiar?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn generally had the better of the play all night, but just couldn't seem to put a ball on net. They did generate a penalty shot early in the second half. Thiam took the shot, put it off the post and it missed. Does that sound familiar?
This has been a similar theme for a few too many years
Ray is a good guy and has been a great coach BUT he, IMHO, has gone stale
The crap soccer conference hurts recruitment - yes- BUT with the heritage that is UConn soccer, he needs to do better
I have said this for years - try recruiting for positional strength rather than just bringing in kids with great ball skills
The fact that there are several CT based players on the team is also very telling .........

Reaction Score
Our soccer programs seem to be the first casualties of conference realignment. Literally being turned into ash.
This is just more of the underachievement that they have exhibited for many, many years.

Reaction Score

One thing that should be noted is the the men's soccer team has scored one goal total in the two preseason games and the season opener. Goal scoring has been a problem for Ray Reid's squad in the past, are we to see it again this season as well?

Reaction Score
One thing that should be noted is the the men's soccer team has scored one goal total in the two preseason games and the season opener. Goal scoring has been a problem for Ray Reid's squad in the past, are we to see it again this season as well?
Reid's players become tighter and tighter and score fewer and fewer goals as his teams get deeper into the season. The fact that this year's team has scored only 1 goal in 3 games should not give you any hope that they're going to reverse this trend.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac at UConn. A familiar note for Husky fans, 1st half over, with no score.

Reaction Score
Midway through 2nd half, still no score in the game against Quinnipiac. John Tuite says UConn is dominating, and showing increasing offensive teamwork and creativity as the game goes on, but just can't put the ball in the net.

Reaction Score
Midway through 2nd half, still no score in the game against Quinnipiac. John Tuite says UConn is dominating, and showing increasing offensive teamwork and creativity as the game goes on, but just can't put the ball in the net.
Doesn't that sound familiar

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom