Memphis Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Memphis Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Olivia should watch tapes of Kara Wolters. Kara knew how important it is for a tall player to KEEP THE BALL UP HIGH so defenders, however short, cannot reach in for it.

I don't care how strong she gets over the summer or over the next two years, if she keeps lowering the ball to her waist every time she begins a move, opposing players will always be able to tie her up or knock the ball loose.

Reaction Score
APB out on the following:
  • backdoor cuts - Memphis overplayed on perimeter all game, we didnt punish them for it
  • transition offense - Did we get any fastbreak points?
  • precision passing - Led to turnovers, interrupted offensive flow
  • points in the paint - thank goodness we had CW
  • free throw shooting volume - 14 attempts vs Memphis' 20

Reaction Score
What I saw was a team that was flat footed and did not moe around very much as the teams of the past. People went to positions on offense and stood there. Very little motion or movement at all. Very lethargic. (big word for me).

Megan is a good player but she cannot carry this team by herself.

Defense: not like old times. They pushed UConn around underneath the basket and got a lot of second chances that should have been a stop.

Memphis was hungry and they just looked like they wanted to out hustle UConn. They were the scrappy team last night.

It seems that this combination of players, no matter who is on the floor ...... well, ....... I do not know.

Spots of brightness: Crystal, and Chrystin.....always trying.

Reaction Score
Just a Ho-Hum kinda game. Wondering if it was jet-lag. Well, as Kaizen said “At least we Won!” I’m so looking forward to the Tennessee game and hoping these gals have their best game of the season with no passed-up shots! You too?

Reaction Score
Not one poster has noted the real reason for lethargic play. It’s “Pigtails”. Every time Liv changes her hair style poor performance follows.

Reaction Score
As others have said (and Meg Coulmo pointed out repeatedly) there was too much standing around on offense. Many times the lane was wide open with Memphis overplaying on the perimeter and no one was cutting through the lane (Molly tried but they didn't seem to try to get the ball to her).

On a positive note, the "B" squad managed to erase the deficit before half time and outscored Memphis. At least people can't bitch about that. ;)The "A" squad couldn't seem to do that in the first half.

Reaction Score
Oh, and Memphis has size and bulk on the interior which is this team's kryptonite. Things could get ugly with several upcoming games against teams with size.

Reaction Score
Good advice

Unfortunately, the number of such games is piling up. We're now halfway through the season, and this is this team. We've been spared ugly losses by an extraordinarily weak schedule- just two ranked teams so far, and the usual AAC lineup.

ONO, as Coach Geno said recently, is "not a bruiser." She just refuses to play like a post player, instead opting for something more akin to wing.

I've been flummoxed by the team's inability to play a half-court offense. Everyone, as Megan Culmo was pointing out, just standing around. It's been said that AG doesn't know the offense. So many times last night, it looked as though no one on the team did.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not one poster has noted the real reason for lethargic play. It’s “Pigtails”. Every time Liv changes her hair style poor performance follows.
I was going to comment in my OP about Liv’s newest hairstyle, but decided otherwise. Clearly she plays her best with her hair up in a bun. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I kinda thought I was watching a mediocre high school team in UConn uniforms - at least for much of the game. As someone else noted I think it's going to be a long season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
the only thing worse than our team tonight was the unanimity on the board predicting a rout by 30 to 50 points.
Well this Memphis team had a #156 Massey rating and a so-so schedule at #139 coming into this game, so yes, based on how our offense usually clicks we could rightly match our domination like over Houston who happened to beat Memphis by 10 a week and half ago.
That said, Memphis played arguably their best game of the year and their best game ever against us. So despite an 0-4 record, Memphis has now played 4 of the top 6 teams in our conference thus far so the record was a tad underrated.
Why is it other teams are allowed to struggle against familiar foes and win but if we do, the world is crashing in on the program? It’s one game, on the road over a long break without classes and regular structure. Thankfully classes start again next week and hopefully the board is less worried.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am so glad you have figured it out. Geno is going to thrilled. Hairstyle drills will become the wave of the future.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't see Geno's presser ... is it in another thread here?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
OK, I agree with all posters, re: half court offense.
But there's one more point....
I've refused to dump/blame one player especially Kyla, who tries so hard
and knows the schemes.

But this team cannot be first-class with Kyla Irwin starting.
She just isn't athletic enough...
Better to work Audrey in and take your lumps with her frosh mistakes.
Or start Anna with Audrey first in...Kyla could return to a more extended version of her previous role.

Lots of teams now have quick, athletic types; we're a bit limited in this regard.
Now you want to see a team, really struggling in that Dept., it's ND

I though we did a reasonable impersonation of them last evening.

Reaction Score
I sit on my couch and in my mind I think "this" is the game where everything is going to fall into place. We are going to go up early, play great defense, make layups, have the bench players score ( I'd settle for taking shots) to make a difference. Instead, the game is exactly the same.........standing around, hesitation, turnovers, etc. It's like Ground Hog Day over and over again. Sorry, I love our team. Just had to vent. I will be attending the UCF game and cheering them on. Go Huskies!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Holy Canolis, the fact that some are blaming players like Kyla et al for what they are viewing blows my mind. What you should be asking if you think so highly of other players, is why they cannot get on the court, remember play time is earned. Geno playing who he is should also not be an excuse for other starters not doing what they are supposed to do. Each is responsible for their own effort for starters.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Well this Memphis team had a #156 Massey rating and a so-so schedule at #139 coming into this game, so yes, based on how our offense usually clicks we could rightly match our domination like over Houston who happened to beat Memphis by 10 a week and half ago.
That said, Memphis played arguably their best game of the year and their best game ever against us. So despite an 0-4 record, Memphis has now played 4 of the top 6 teams in our conference this far so the record was a tad underrated.
Why is it other teams are allowed to struggle against familiar foes and win but it we do, the world is crashing in on the program? It’s one game, on the road over a long break without classes and regular structure. Thankfully classes start again next week and hopefully the board is less worried.
Just goes to show how good these computer based rating systems are and how many people defend them. I guess because sometimes they work but let's always remember, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

Reaction Score
Olivia should watch tapes of Kara Wolters. Kara knew how important it is for a tall player to KEEP THE BALL UP HIGH so defenders, however short, cannot reach in for it.

I don't care how strong she gets over the summer or over the next two years, if she keeps lowering the ball to her waist every time she begins a move, opposing players will always be able to tie her up or knock the ball loose.
I’ve made the same point numerous times, but I think the mods get justifiably exercised if one harps on the same point repeatedly. Olivia has never learned, and maybe has never been taught, to use her size effectively when shooting. She never carries the ball to the rim above head level, and therefore is considerably less of a threat than she could otherwise be, and either gets tied up or commits turnovers as a result. This mystifies me...isn’t CD in control of post play?

Reaction Score
Were they talking about Crystal (runt?)

1579112694385.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve made the same point numerous times, but I think the mods get justifiably exercised if one harps on the same point repeatedly. Olivia has never learned, and maybe has never been taught, to use her size effectively when shooting. She never carries the ball to the rim above head level, and therefore is considerably less of a threat than she could otherwise be, and either gets tied up or commits turnovers as a result. This mystifies me...isn’t CD in control of post play?
It takes time to break bad habits. Flash back to Nat. After a redshirt year, during her first year of eligibility, it would drive me crazy when 6’5” Natalie Butler would get a rebound and bring it down to her waist, where smaller defenders would either strip the ball or tie her up. And unlike Liv, Nat was one of the stronger players on the team.

CD worked with her and by her 2nd year of eligibility she never brought the ball down and was far more effective. It just takes time.

Reaction Score
The only analogy I can think of is when you are taking a long, long car ride. At first you are excited, pointing out everything new, looking forward to a new place to stop or eat. About midway through the trip everything looks the same, your temperament is starting to wane and all you can thing of is "OMIGOD, another three hundred miles. Then, as you can see the journeys end you feel a burden lifting and can even smile and start laughing again. And we, my friends, are in the middle of the ride.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom