Memphis AD on the new BE TV deal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Memphis AD on the new BE TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ok. If you say so. June Jones is 60. Somehow SMU sucked for decades in spite of their location.

Why don't you guys stop the personal attacks for two seconds and answer these questions.

If the latest Big East is so good and these teams are upgrades and this television strategy is so brilliant...

Why didn't the Big East invite SMU, Houston, Boise and SDSU before Pitt and Syracuse left? If they are so savvy and now have an NFL style holy grail why were they reactive and not proactive? Why did West Virginia set fire to the league to get out? Why would Rutgers, UConn and Louisville campaign so hard for an invite elsewhere?

Ill hang up and wait for your response that will never come.

God almighty.

-The Big East will still be the 6th best league.
-The Big East will have the 6th best tv contract - behind the ACC by a decent margin.
-You would have to be insane to take any of the new additions over Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia.

Anybody that chooses to ignore those facts isn't in touched with reality. Almost everybody here agrees with the above points.

That all being said, the Big East has added some teams with recent success, some new markets and teams with some history. There is some optimism that UConn and The Big East can survive to fight another day.

We get it - you don't think so. No amount of complaining or debating with Carl is going to change that.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but come on, enough is enough.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
God almighty.

-The Big East will still be the 6th best league.
-The Big East will have the 6th best tv contract - behind the ACC by a decent margin.
-You would have to be insane to take any of the new additions over Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia.

Anybody that chooses to ignore those facts isn't in touched with reality. Almost everybody here agrees with the above points.

That all being said, the Big East has added some teams with recent success, some new markets and teams with some history. There is some optimism that UConn and The Big East can survive to fight another day.

We get it - you don't think so. No amount of complaining or debating with Carl is going to change that.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but come on, enough is enough.

I guess that is where we disagree, that seems to be exactly the reality some are ignoring.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I guess that is where we disagree, that seems to be exactly the reality some are ignoring.

A couple, but not all of us.

Upon further review, my post was a bit douchey towards you. Didn't mean it that way - just pissed at the whole situation in general.

Reaction Score
Anyone who's ever run a successful business for a long time, knows that things change over time, and most often, when you've been successful doing something one way... it takes the smack in the face realization that your business is about to go under to realize you better get off your ass and do something else because your old way doesn't work anymore.

DOesn't matter if it's a mom @ pop store on a corner somewhere or a billion dollar intercollegiate sports league.

I write that for the others reading, not the energy sucker below. If the big east had their priorites right, and foresight and understanding of the landscape after the events of the 1980's around college football, the SEC would never have risen to power.

UConn would probably still be competiting with VIllanova regularly on the gridiron.....so I take the good with the bad, and look positively at the future,and learn from my mistakes. Football lessons in life.

Ok. If you say so. June Jones is 60. Somehow SMU sucked for decades in spite of their location.

Why don't you guys stop the personal attacks for two seconds and answer these questions.

If the latest Big East is so good and these teams are upgrades and this television strategy is so brilliant...

Why didn't the Big East invite SMU, Houston, Boise and SDSU before Pitt and Syracuse left? If they are so savvy and now have an NFL style holy grail why were they reactive and not proactive? Why did West Virginia set fire to the league to get out? Why would Rutgers, UConn and Louisville campaign so hard for an invite elsewhere?

Ill hang up and wait for your response that will never come.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Pick a number. $2MM a team? What's the number?

For the Big East going forward? With the current members 11-12. I'd wager by the time they sign a deal the membership will have changed again. They need Boise, Louisville, UConn, Rutgers and Navy to stay to get that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For the Big East going forward? With the current members 11-12. I'd wager by the time they sign a deal the membership will have changed again. They need Boise, Louisville, UConn, Rutgers and Navy to stay to get that.

So we are basically at the same number, within a couple of million. Apparently, you just like to make posts shredding the conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So we are basically at the same number, within a couple of million. Apparently, you just like to make posts shredding the conference.

Or i think that number is a death sentence and you think its acceptable.

Reaction Score

It's not the $ number in a media deal that matters for the Big East to survive and/or thrive at this point in time. Not at all. The big east is very much undervalued in both basketball and football, with aging contracts in both set to expire in 2013. The big east is not going to make less money than we already make - it will make more, just a matter of how much more. THe athletic departments that might be struggling, well they need to clean up their houses - talking to you Rutgers. The new programs are all going to see increases in revenue. The existing programs will see increases. What's relevant for the dolllar amount - is how much the gap between the highest valued media properties and the Big East either widens or closes. I'm predicting it's going to close, and that's what's got the ACC leadership really nervous.

It's not the money that's the key to the future growht potential/success/thriving though - as i've said many times, I believe it's scheduling - football and basketball - that will be the key to both survival and growth potential of the new Big East. We need to be able to schedule both sports in their respective prime time viewing slots during the week, and at the same time have those games easily accessible on basic viewing services in all of the regions we are now in.

The big east would be signing it's own death warrant, if we were to continue w/ ESPN in the same format, and get relegated to Tuesday/Wed/Thur/Fri night football for marquee matchups and regular games saturday at noon or some other slot on espn3 online.

It will be interesting to see what ESPN offers in September, if anything. I can't even begin to speculate on the internet/cyberspace/streaming angle when it comes to broadcasting, but it's a big part of the broadcasting world in the future.

I'm anticipating that will have to a big part of it, b/c I can't imagine how they'd (ESPN) be able to present a plan to get into the markets that we've got presence in, with their current structure and in competition with the nvestment properties they've got lined up already - unless they try to pitch the same plan we've had for years, which relegated big east football to the scrap heap of broadcasting slots for college football.

IF the leadership in providence wants the league to continue, they can't try to keep the status quo with ESPN. Things have to change when it comes to scheduling and broadcasting big east football in primetime slots on Saturdays.

Big East basketball? HUGE HUGE chip sitting there on the table in all of this. New York City? Big EAst championship tournament? Big East football championship game in NYC? All chips sitting there on the table.

Big time poker game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22