Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If I'm wrong I retract it, I thought they played their home games at 2 or 2:30 - they certainly seemed to start at a different time than everyone else.

I still don't see why a network would put these games on Saturday against a huge number of options. If the geography is an advantage... nothing like a 9am kickoff right? Would they really want to commit ratings suicide by putting game on in primetime? I get that no one watches NBC now, but with primetime games on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 on top of the other games all over the cable, the games would get dreadful ratings.

I hear what you're saying. It's a valid point; can UConn - Rutgers go up against Florida - Auburn and Florida State - UNC in the same time block and get great ratings? Probably not, but I am guessing that even if we can get some national exposure and some increase in activity on basic cable, then it's a better situation for us. It's going to be tough, but I think that NBC would rather not try to win that slot back from the SEC by playing infomercials or cooking shows. It could be worth their gamble. It could also draw in some ND fans' eyes towards the fourth quarter of our games, which might mean something down the road.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, how about you let me do it before you post twice :)

You can look at the time stamp. They were five minutes apart. How could I expect that you were hanging on my every word and ready to pounce on the mea culpa?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying. It's a valid point; can UConn - Rutgers go up against Florida - Auburn and Florida State - UNC in the same time block and get great ratings? Probably not, but I am guessing that even if we can get some national exposure and some increase in activity on basic cable, then it's a better situation for us. It's going to be tough, but I think that NBC would rather not try to win that slot back from the SEC by playing infomercials or cooking shows. It could be worth their gamble. It could also draw in some ND fans' eyes towards the fourth quarter of our games, which might mean something down the road.

I wasn't saying it didn't make sense for the schools - a lot of this NBC stuff doesn't make any sense for NBC.

The Big East is stuck though, NBC is suicide but ESPN seems to be trying to kill the league.... so that doesn't leave a ton of options.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can look at the time stamp. They were five minutes apart. How could I expect that you were hanging on my every word and ready to pounce on the mea culpa?

I know a Boneyard thread where someone admitted they were wrong. I can see why you are shocked.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I wasn't saying it didn't make sense for the schools - a lot of this NBC stuff doesn't make any sense for NBC.

The Big East is stuck though, NBC is suicide but ESPN seems to be trying to kill the league.... so that doesn't leave a ton of options.

There's always FOX? I hear some more chatter about FOX wanting to get into the mix also. And I'm not so sure that the NBC thing is suicide from the Big East's perspective. Yes, I agree that NBCSports is nowhere near the exposure of being on ESPN2, but I think that being on NBC is every bit as good as being on ESPN. The problem, of course, is that there will only be 2 teams from the NBE every Saturday that will get that luxury. I expect much more of the same; Thursday and Friday night games, and possibly some extra action from venues like SNY. So long as we stay in "prime-time" for at least some of our schedule, we'll avoid the suicide scenario, in my opinion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's always FOX? I hear some more chatter about FOX wanting to get into the mix also. And I'm not so sure that the NBC thing is suicide from the Big East's perspective. Yes, I agree that NBCSports is nowhere near the exposure of being on ESPN2, but I think that being on NBC is every bit as good as being on ESPN. The problem, of course, is that there will only be 2 teams from the NBE every Saturday that will get that luxury. I expect much more of the same; Thursday and Friday night games, and possibly some extra action from venues like SNY. So long as we stay in "prime-time" for at least some of our schedule, we'll avoid the suicide scenario, in my opinion.

It's a cold reality that in 2012 and for the near future, ESPN controls the national discourse on sports. If they aren't talking about you - then no one is talking about you. Their idiotic afternoon talk shows have 3 times more viewers than anything on NBCS. Do you think the kids you are going to try to recruit are watching NBCS - or do they want to play on ESPN?

Are people here saying they would watch SDSU/SMU over Michigan/Iowa or South Carolina/Auburn? If even the biggest fans of Big East schools won't make that choice, why is anyone else in the country going to?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's a cold reality that in 2012 and for the near future, ESPN controls the national discourse on sports. If they aren't talking about you - then no one is talking about you. Their idiotic afternoon talk shows have 3 times more viewers than anything on NBCS. Do you think the kids you are going to try to recruit are watching NBCS - or do they want to play on ESPN?

Are people here saying they would watch SDSU/SMU over Michigan/Iowa or South Carolina/Auburn? If even the biggest fans of Big East schools won't make that choice, why is anyone else in the country going to?

You definitely have a point, no doubt about it. But I think that the biggest point of concern right now is insuring that we are able to get a contract that offers us "BCS-type money". I'm not sure if ESPN is definitely off the table, but they certainly seem like they are somewhat disinterested. However, NBC may give us a manageable option that continues our growth. In other words, are we better off as a league taking an $8million per team contract with ESPN and more exposure to tv sets, or a $13 million per team contract with NBC and less exposure? (purely hypothetical numbers, by the way) I'm not even sure as I type this which scenario is better, but I tend to always favor the one that gives my school the extra money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You definitely have a point, no doubt about it. But I think that the biggest point of concern right now is insuring that we are able to get a contract that offers us "BCS-type money". I'm not sure if ESPN is definitely off the table, but they certainly seem like they are somewhat disinterested. However, NBC may give us a manageable option that continues our growth. In other words, are we better off as a league taking an $8million per team contract with ESPN and more exposure to tv sets, or a $13 million per team contract with NBC and less exposure? (purely hypothetical numbers, by the way) I'm not even sure as I type this which scenario is better, but I tend to always favor the one that gives my school the extra money.

Keep in mind that the scenario that offers more money would also promote the conference as must watch TV vs ESPN that seems to deliberately undercut our product. The choice is an easy one.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the scenario that offers more money would also promote the conference as must watch TV vs ESPN that seems to deliberately undercut our product. The choice is an easy one.

That's not a bad point either. NBC would present it as "their college football", whereas ESPN basically says, "this is what we'll show you when we are out of Big10 and ACC games." It is amazing how bad of a taste they've left in my mouth since the "DeFillippo Report"...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The BE brings Regional Numbers, content for flagship NBC stations, and rebranding fo rComcast SportsNet and the SNY Networks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBC Sports is going local. Comcast plans to place the "NBC Sports" brand on its collection of regional sports networks that stretch from Boston to Portland.

"Something like 'NBC Sports Philadelphia,' 'NBC Sports Chicago,' etc.," said Dick Ebersol, the head of NBC Sports.

The move drops the Comcast and now "CSN" brand from the regional networks, where the main programming is local pro sports teams.
An "NBC Sports" channel will launch in Houston next year, giving the brand a presence in six of the country's top-10 markets. Chicago and Philadelphia are the country's third and fourth largest.

Ebersol said the aim is to "give viewers everywhere a much better sense of just who we are, wherever they go.'
"
Ebersol spoke about the re-branding while appearing last month on NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman's radio show on Sirius XM.
The NBC Sports brand will soon get more national awareness, too, as the Versus network takes that moniker in some form later this year.

Ebersol tips his cap to ESPN's size and impact and doesn't publicly indulge the media's hunger for an ESPN-NBC bout. But, NBC will now have something ESPN lacks.

It has been suggested ESPN squandered the opportunity to go into regional sports networks when the business was building. The networks are immensely profitable and a local presence has advantages.

There is an ESPN Chicago. But it's online.

This means more of a tie-in to NBC among the Comcast SportsNet affiliates. We’re already seeing in San Francisco that Comcast SportsNet Bay Area will produce nightly sportscasts for NBC’s owned-and-operated KNTV in San Jose/San Francisco. We could see more down the line.

Reaction Score
NBC has a brand new TV sports platform and little to show on it. if they want to be taken at all seriously they're going to want to add some college product and who better for them than a "BCS" conference that stretches across the whole friggin country? you want to talk about exposure, how about actually putting our games on national TV on Saturday instead of relegating us to Friday nights and ESPNU. it would give them a ton of content over a vast geographic area, which is exactly what they need. it could be a big partnership for both of us. hopefully they'll want to pay $15m/school for it

plus i don't like the idea of ESPN controlling all of the major conferences games. since voting is likely to be a big part of whatever postseason arrangement comes about i think it's important we get a fair shake at being broadcast on saturdays, and i don't want ESPN to control our scheduling

Reaction Score
It's amazing how a bad option that you wouldn't think of taking in the past starts to look really good and look like a lifeline. Unless all of this is just rumors, it appears that NBC is coming together at a time when we need them the most, to get a contract that will allow survival. It may be beneficial enough that it allows the conference to thrive in the markets and compete with the other networks, it may only allow for more competitive bidding for the ultimate "winner" of our contract, or it may just allow ESPN to offload us and move on to strengthening their package with other conference's product. Chances are that we end up with a compromise that allows survival but doesn't put us in really competitive status in relation to the big time conferences. We're not in a position to dictate but hopefully we're at least in a position to negotiate. We can't fail at this critical juncture and need to do what best promotes our survival. If that means leaving ESPN because the dollars are too good elsewhere, so be it. If that means staying with ESPN and helping to kill whatever chance NBC had of providing competition to ESPN, so be it. As long as we get the type of contract that can allow for our growth we have to do what's best for us. I hope that the conference is truly using media consultants that can negotiate the type of deal that will get us what we need!

Reaction Score
It's not so much about the dollars at all, when it comes to survival. Big east basketball and football is wholly undervalued right now, and the league is not going to come up with less money for broadcasting in the future than we're already making. THe gap between the biggest college sports broadcasting contracts and whatever the Big East brings in may continue to be significant, but the only way the big east loses out on broadcasting dollars, is if the league completely dissolves. We will have a bigger contract than what we've had.

When it comes to survival though, for the future, it's all about scheduling, not broadcasting dollars. We sign a huge media deal that relegates us to Tuesday and Wednesday night college football broadcasts, the big east is ducked in the future. Filling prime time viewership slots in regional media markets, and getting national exposure when possible.

People crapped all over me around here, but the concept of being able to schedule college football viewing time slots, for three hour windows from noon until night, focused regionally from coast to coast on Saturdays while advertising a national broadcast involved for a marquee program with national attention......is what the big east will need to thrive. We can survive without it, but it's about frigging time that Notre Dame becomes an asset to the Big East, rather than an albatross.

The model works. Watch any NFL programming on Sundays and pay attention to how they do it. EAch network has it's own conference base, and football games are slated regionally, with a marquee national broadcast that goes out across all four time zones. It works. It works well. NBC is setting themselves up to be able to handle a traditional, NFL conference model based, coast to coast day of broadcasting football - for college football. Sure - the Big EAst teams may not be big draws in their respective markets right now - in some cases, but we've got market penetration set up for a wide range of the biggest markets in the country, and at least two programs with national appeal to schedule around (Boise and Notre Dame) and we've got plenty of inventory to be shown coast to coast focused regionally, and watch what happens to popularity in a market, when teams start showing up on the major over the air television channels on Saturdays regularly.

No other college football conference in the country can offer that ability to schedule games, such that they can be broadcast coast to coast on a single network......with regional focus and also national broadcast.....and more importantly - no network currently is set up to handle such a situation, other than the major networks that have handled NFL football. ESPN is not structured to do it. They have multiple channels and farm out broadcasting for games they don't carry on their channels, they don't have the structure where people all over the country would watch different events but on the same frequency/network channel. What ESPN does have though, is the lead in the internet, mobile, online broadcasting world, which is a big deal right now. Will be interesting to see how that fits into everything.

And also...when it comes to what the big east can offer.....no other conference can offer the vast potential for NEW viewership in the all important marketing demographic which is the target of live sports programming.

Reaction Score
That's not a bad point either. NBC would present it as "their college football", whereas ESPN basically says, "this is what we'll show you when we are out of Big10 and ACC games." It is amazing how bad of a taste they've left in my mouth since the "DeFillippo Report"...

All hypothetical of course, but...to go with "Notre Dame football on NBC"

"Big East football Saturday on NBC" sounds good to me,

&

"Big East football Saturday on NBC Sports" sounds good to me too.

My idea is a situation where Notre Dame's primetime 3:30 slot on NBC on the flagship over the air is not disturbed, but becomes a focal point. Every Big East football team gets at least one national game per season, on the flagship 4 over the air coast to coast each season to go with the Notre Dame game on a Saturday.

All other big east games carried on NBC Sports network and go out regionally on the network to the focused markets on saturdays either at 12:00., 3:30 or 8:00.

You see it advertised all week long like the NFL does it. THe marquee matchup(s) advertised, along with the full slate of games regionally at 12:00, 3:30, and 8. On Saturdays, all day long, the following week schedule is being shown.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
The question is whis: in the streaming a la carte world what would you pay for NBC Sports programming? Versus, Golf Channel, and SNY? $49.95 a year if they do it right?

Reaction Score
The question is whis: in the streaming a la carte world what would you pay for NBC Sports programming? Versus, Golf Channel, and SNY? $49.95 a year if they do it right?

THat's where it gets real interesting. You can't ignore big east basketball at all in any of this either. THe ENTIRE big east sports inventory is up for sale very soon, and ESPN gets exclusive talking points starting in September for a while.

ESPN definitely has a leg up in the sports entertainment world when it comes to cyberspace broadcasting. There's a lot to be discussed.

The key to all of it for the big east conference........how can I put this as succinctly as possible. Juking.

The big east leadership needs to approach this round of television broadcasting negotiations with the follwoing understanding:

1. The strenght of the big east football conference must be top priority for the basketball conference to survive and continue to be the best college basketball league in the country &
2. The solidarity of the big east football conference is going to be directly related to the media deal, and the best media deal will be achieved by coming up with a broadcasting arrangement so that the football teams reach as many viewers in college football primetime, regionally to their markets as possible. (college football primetime is different than basketball primetime!)

That means that big east leadership needs to understand that basketball primetime is weeknights for two hour windows between 7pm and 11pm, and that football primetime is saturdays from 12noon to 11pm.

I've talked about the NFL before, and got shh8t on too, but the NFL is going to a full season for thursday games to go with sunday and monday.....the only way, I wrote months ago, that it could work, is if they lift the roster limits in place, b/c they'll be going through bodies like a roman gladiator ring with teams playing regularly on 3 days rest and the quality of play would fall through the floor. Low and behold, rosters have been expanded by the NFL for the offseason. Those extra 320 players going into camps this year in addition to the hundreds that don't make the 53 man cuts in September, can pretty much expect phone calls come November - with regular thursday night football - so stay in shape you players out there.

That means that the NFL will rule sports broadcasting on the nights of the THursdays, Sundays and Mondays though, for the foreseeable future.

Saturday is college football day, and we need a network that will provide that for the Big East and take advantage of the weaknesses in the conference by turning them into strengths through scheduling for broadcasting to live audiences regionally. Big East basketball belongs on weeknights - fill the weeks up with it. Saturday needs to be big east football day from noon to night, such that as many teams are on during primetime football hours in their individual local market time zones

I'm not sure if ESPN online services has the reach to make that happen and have the regional focus necessary to make it successful and reach the same number of people that a normal television network that is regionally based can do - the way an NBC sports network can.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
The other take on this: NBC bought 100 NHL games plus the Playoffs. As we've seen on SNY. they are part owner of MLB network and are the METS NY home. They proudly advertise as the Home of the BE. They signed MLS (Soccer). Versus has NASCAR.

That seems to be the model. And the BE fits.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NBC has a brand new TV sports platform and little to show on it. if they want to be taken at all seriously they're going to want to add some college product and who better for them than a "BCS" conference that stretches across the whole friggin country? you want to talk about exposure, how about actually putting our games on national TV on Saturday instead of relegating us to Friday nights and ESPNU. it would give them a ton of content over a vast geographic area, which is exactly what they need. it could be a big partnership for both of us. hopefully they'll want to pay $15m/school for it

plus i don't like the idea of ESPN controlling all of the major conferences games. since voting is likely to be a big part of whatever postseason arrangement comes about i think it's important we get a fair shake at being broadcast on saturdays, and i don't want ESPN to control our scheduling

You do realize that many more people watch shows like Pawn Stores than what NBC puts up against it. NBC is an absolute complete disaster. They don't have a new TV sports platform, they have the same station they have now rebranded twice that no one watches.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not so much about the dollars at all, when it comes to survival. Big east basketball and football is wholly undervalued right now, and the league is not going to come up with less money for broadcasting in the future than we're already making. THe gap between the biggest college sports broadcasting contracts and whatever the Big East brings in may continue to be significant, but the only way the big east loses out on broadcasting dollars, is if the league completely dissolves. We will have a bigger contract than what we've had.

When it comes to survival though, for the future, it's all about scheduling, not broadcasting dollars. We sign a huge media deal that relegates us to Tuesday and Wednesday night college football broadcasts, the big east is ducked in the future. Filling prime time viewership slots in regional media markets, and getting national exposure when possible.

People crapped all over me around here, but the concept of being able to schedule college football viewing time slots, for three hour windows from noon until night, focused regionally from coast to coast on Saturdays while advertising a national broadcast involved for a marquee program with national attention......is what the big east will need to thrive. We can survive without it, but it's about frigging time that Notre Dame becomes an asset to the Big East, rather than an albatross.

The model works. Watch any NFL programming on Sundays and pay attention to how they do it. EAch network has it's own conference base, and football games are slated regionally, with a marquee national broadcast that goes out across all four time zones. It works. It works well. NBC is setting themselves up to be able to handle a traditional, NFL conference model based, coast to coast day of broadcasting football - for college football. Sure - the Big EAst teams may not be big draws in their respective markets right now - in some cases, but we've got market penetration set up for a wide range of the biggest markets in the country, and at least two programs with national appeal to schedule around (Boise and Notre Dame) and we've got plenty of inventory to be shown coast to coast focused regionally, and watch what happens to popularity in a market, when teams start showing up on the major over the air television channels on Saturdays regularly.

No other college football conference in the country can offer that ability to schedule games, such that they can be broadcast coast to coast on a single network......with regional focus and also national broadcast.....and more importantly - no network currently is set up to handle such a situation, other than the major networks that have handled NFL football. ESPN is not structured to do it. They have multiple channels and farm out broadcasting for games they don't carry on their channels, they don't have the structure where people all over the country would watch different events but on the same frequency/network channel. What ESPN does have though, is the lead in the internet, mobile, online broadcasting world, which is a big deal right now. Will be interesting to see how that fits into everything.

And also...when it comes to what the big east can offer.....no other conference can offer the vast potential for NEW viewership in the all important marketing demographic which is the target of live sports programming.

This is the stupidest argument in the history of Boneyard arguments. EVERYONE can schedule like the NFL, unless there is a league who's fans are reverse vampires and can't watch a game after sunset. 12, 3:30 and night. Yeah, the ACC and SEC don't do this every week. The Big East can play a game at 7 or 8 pacific time.... so could the WAC or Mountain West and nobody gives a damn about them. Half the time it would include San Diego State anyway, unless you are going to allow Boise State to play a 14 game home schedule.

ESPN has the lead in internet, mobile, online...and viewers. ESPN does regional broadcasts on the night games by the way - depending on where you live you get reverse mirrors of the ABC games. So people watching ESPN in different parts of the country are seeing different games.

Here is the ESPN schedule from a random week in 2011 - week 9.
12:00
Michigan State @ Nebraska - ESPN
Purdue @ Michigan - ESPN2
NC State @ Florida State - ESPNU
3:30
Oklahoma @ Kansas State - ESPN
Wake Forest @ North Carolina - ESPNU
7:00
Ole Miss @ Auburn - ESPNU
7:15
South Carolina @ Tennessee - ESPN2
8:00
Wisconsin @ Ohio State - ESPN

Please tell me what combination of Big East games is going to compete with that lineup. You could play SMU/UCF in my back yard and I'd rather watch Wisconsin/Iowa State or Michigan State/Nebraska.

Reaction Score
Please tell me what combination of Big East games is going to compete with that lineup. You could play SMU/UCF in my back yard and I'd rather watch Wisconsin/Iowa State or Michigan State/Nebraska.

Boise vs Any Big East team can compete with Wisconsin vs Iowa State especially if Boise is undefeated and in the top ten. There was a time in the 80's when SMU was a national TV draw and they are committed to making a comeback. Enjoy that Wisconsin vs Iowa State game! That has always been a can't miss game for me too.:rolleyes:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Boise vs Any Big East team can compete with Wisconsin vs Iowa State especially if Boise is undefeated and in the top ten. There was a time in the 80's when SMU was a national TV draw and they are committed to making a comeback. Enjoy that Wisconsin vs Iowa State game! That has always been a can't miss game for me too.:rolleyes:

Uh, it's Ohio State not Iowa State, sorry I mistyped it the second time. Still think Boise State/Houston is a better TV draw? The best Big East matchup is Boise State and Louisville. Can anyone keep a straight face and claim that is a better game than Wisconsin and Ohio State?

Oh SMU is 'committed to making a comeback'. That's great, who is bankrolling it?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This is the stupidest argument in the history of Boneyard arguments.

Do you know what it would take for that statement to be true? I have seen some arguments on my short time in the Boneyard that would make his post look like Gospel! The stupidest argument in the history of the Boneyard would sound something like this, "The Sun will not rise tomorrow because my cat has gray hair and Dominos Pizza took over a half hour to deliver." Yes, that is indeed the stupidest argument in the history of the Boneyard.....because I don't have a cat....:eek:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
On a serious note, I think that Carl was referring to the fact that NBC would try to leverage regional interests. In other words, they would leverage UConn in the northeast, or they would try to send UCF coverage to the people in Florida, etc. Can UCF win a head-to-head with the Florida Gators? No, in case you weren't sure. But that is hardly the point. The point is, of the people that AREN'T watching the Florida Gators in the state of Florida, can NBC (or another network) capture some regional interest by showing UCF vs. Navy, or UCF vs. USF. I bet those games could turn some tv sets on in Fla. Also, if you avoid going head-to-head with the Gators, and you are only head to head with Iowa versus Purdue (which I bet not many in the state of Florida give a $#it about), then you can get some eyeballs on your network that wouldn't have been there if you were showing Julia Child re-runs...

Reaction Score
This is the stupidest argument in the history of Boneyard arguments. EVERYONE can schedule like the NFL, unless there is a league who's fans are reverse vampires and can't watch a game after sunset. 12, 3:30 and night. Yeah, the ACC and SEC don't do this every week. The Big East can play a game at 7 or 8 pacific time.... so could the WAC or Mountain West and nobody gives a damn about them. Half the time it would include San Diego State anyway, unless you are going to allow Boise State to play a 14 game home schedule.

ESPN has the lead in internet, mobile, online...and viewers. ESPN does regional broadcasts on the night games by the way - depending on where you live you get reverse mirrors of the ABC games. So people watching ESPN in different parts of the country are seeing different games.

Here is the ESPN schedule from a random week in 2011 - week 9.
12:00
Michigan State @ Nebraska - ESPN
Purdue @ Michigan - ESPN2
NC State @ Florida State - ESPNU
3:30
Oklahoma @ Kansas State - ESPN
Wake Forest @ North Carolina - ESPNU
7:00
Ole Miss @ Auburn - ESPNU
7:15
South Carolina @ Tennessee - ESPN2
8:00
Wisconsin @ Ohio State - ESPN

By listing each channel, that is the only channel carrying each game coast to coast, in each time slot, you've made my point for me. But your too full of negative wind and energy and disdain for the big east to realize it. Or maybe just too thick.

To Dan97.....on the right track. What a regional programming system set up like NBC appears to be structuring, you don't have to take UCF and/or USF and put them head to head to Florida and Florida St. If Florida and FSU are playign at 12:00 and 3:30 respectively EST, you schedule USF / UCF to play at 2:00PST for example.

IF Texas is playing at 2:30 PM CST, you schedule Houston to play 3:30 PM PST @ SDSU, and you avoid going head to head regionally in the market.

BUT - the key is you need to have a single network that is regionally based. NBC sports could carry USF/Boise at 8:00PST and avoid head to head broadcasting with FL and FSU playing earlier in the day, and get that game broadcast to TExas and Pacific time zones, and Houston and SDSU can still play in primetime on the west coast, while UConn and Louisville were in primetime 3:30 time slot in the NYC, NewEngland demographic...and on and on. You'd need a big board with a big grid to lay it all out, but the flexibility to schedule across four time zones, and have regional broadcasts all under the same channel is exactly what the NFL does.

With 13-14 teams, especially once conference play starts, you have the very real potential to broadcast every single home team in a primetime college football saturday afternoon or evening slot within their own market.

It's all about the structure of the broadcasting platform. ESPN doesn't have it, and the conference is currently being set up by the Big East - to be broadcast exactly like that.

No other college conference can do it, because there is no other ocnference that can play games locally in all four time zones. You can't schedule every single game at 3:30pm and reach your local audience....unless you've got multiple channels trying to do it....that's the ESPN model - and it doesnt' work nationally for a multiple broadcasting arrangement to local regions.

What ESPN does have though, is the cyberspace broadcasting realm to work with, and the big east provides and excellent opportunity to create a platform to make that work coast to coast.

and don't forget about basketball in all of this, and multiple tiers of broadcasting.

BTW _ wouldn't surprise me at all if whaler11 worked for ESPN or something. The negative energy out of that guy is something else. In one sentence he's proclaiming that he's a diehard fan, and the next, everything about anything big east and UConn sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom