Memphis AD on the new BE TV deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memphis AD on the new BE TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Obama took my gun away from me...
Apparently someone also took away your punctuation. I doubt we go to the ACC at this point, and if we did after the Big Twelve raided them, it wouldn't be a good league anyway. At least we'll have comparable dollars and more importantly good competition in football.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East is a stalking horse for BYU to try to get an invitation from the Big 12. I think BYU had their shot with the Big 12, were a pain in the ass about it, and now the Big 12 is looking east. I also think BYU has recognized the error of their ways, and is trying hard to get a full invite from the Big 12, and failing that, will join the Big East for football.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
BYU would make a SDSU and Boise basketball add possible in a divisional format with SMU and Houston.

Obviously they talk:

BYU
SDSU
SMU (w/ Larry Brown)
Houston
Marquette
Boise

That's not an embarrasment of a basketball division with the BYU Network getting the games no one else wants.

Reaction Score
The upside is, the last time BE leadership (or an AD) spouted off about some great TV deal for the BE, another conference has come along and grabbed a few teams. UConn, Rutgers, and Louisville should all be smiling on the inside.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
BYU would make a SDSU and Boise basketball add possible in a divisional format with SMU and Houston.

Obviously they talk:

BYU
SDSU
SMU (w/ Larry Brown)
Houston
Marquette
Boise

That's not an embarrasment of a basketball division with the BYU Network getting the games no one else wants.
the bball schools won't be around long. soon as lville or uconn go they are out and lville is just waiting for the b12 call.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Apparently someone also took away your punctuation. I doubt we go to the ACC at this point, and if we did after the Big Twelve raided them, it wouldn't be a good league anyway. At least we'll have comparable dollars and more importantly good competition in football.

lol everyone needs to relax, it was just a joke of a comment.

Reaction Score
The Big East is not supposed to be talking to NBC. I think this would be a violation of their current contract with ESPN, which gives ESPN an exclusive negotiating window through August. Either a) non-Big East schools (such as Boise) are negotiating on behalf of the Big East, which makes sense, or b) the Big East is violating the agreement, either with or without ESPN's permission.

Who cares if the Big East is violating their agreement with ESPN? What is ESPN going to do, sue? That would be pretty funny as the Big East could call into question their actions regarding conspiring with the ACC to destroy the conference. I believe that is violating the agreement, as well.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the question is, if nbc is willing to pay xxmil, would fox then jump in over that in a bid war? espn won't becuase they can't put the BE # above the acc #, that would cause crazyness.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If Fox is serious about a competing network to go up against ESPN, one would hope the answer is yes.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That would be pretty funny as the Big East could call into question their actions regarding conspiring with the ACC to destroy the conference. I believe that is violating the agreement, as well.

And how do you go about establishing that burden of proof? Do you just sit there stammering saying "WELL...I MEAN...LOOK...THEY ADDED TEAMS"

zls44

Reaction Score
Who cares if the Big East is violating their agreement with ESPN? What is ESPN going to do, sue? That would be pretty funny as the Big East could call into question their actions regarding conspiring with the ACC to destroy the conference. I believe that is violating the agreement, as well.

Also, the C-USA thought the same thing.
ESPN sued.
ESPN won.

Fox gets the entire C-USA football package- EXCEPT THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Which is on ESPN.

Think Fox is happy about that C-USA deal? Hell no!

Reaction Score
And how do you go about establishing that burden of proof? Do you just sit there stammering saying "WELL...I MEAN...LOOK...THEY ADDED TEAMS"
Defillipo is on record.

Reaction Score
This Big East (in this case Memphis) is once again spouting off at the mouth when there should be a gag order. Why must we continually bring attention to anything and everything good that is about to happen so that an outsider can screw it up?

I agree. That Memphis AD must have the same disease as our buddy up at bcu.

zls44

Reaction Score
Er, will.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That well never hold up in court. Ever.

It's not like someone broke into his house and installed listening devices or bugged his phone. Defillippo willingly made those comments to a Boston Globe writer. Of course they will be admitted as evidence in any litigation.

There is no way for him to back track, and I can guarantee that he is not going to lie under oath about what he meant. No one would be stupid enough to risk perjury when there are so many other witnesses that could expose any lie made under oath.

It appears that ESPN is not enforcing the no-shop clause because the Big East has a very strong tortious interference claim hanging over ESPN. ESPN's best defense on that claim at this point is for the Big East to get a healthy TV deal because that would mitigate any damage claim against ESPN. If a strong contract from NBC makes any potential Big East litigation go away, it is a win for everyone.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Also, the C-USA thought the same thing.
ESPN sued.
ESPN won.

Fox gets the entire C-USA football package- EXCEPT THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Which is on ESPN.

Think Fox is happy about that C-USA deal? Hell no!

Since Big East schools are openly talking about the new contract, and ESPN is not doing anything about it, it would appear you are wrong.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
the question is, if nbc is willing to pay xxmil, would fox then jump in over that in a bid war? espn won't becuase they can't put the BE # above the acc #, that would cause crazyness.

I don't think ESPN cares one way or another whether the ACC or Big East make more money per school. It tried to destroy the Big East, it didn't work. It will probably try again at some point before September, but the playoff complicates things. ESPN needs to save its powder, has to renegotiate with the ACC and potentially the Big 12 again. With all these moving parts, even the puppet masters may hit their bandwidth constraint and realize it is just cheaper to leave the Big East alone and let NBC sign them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is no way in the world that NBC affiliates would allow a double header with Notre Dame. They aren't going to preempt their local news for games that get no ratings. The games would have to kick off at 6. You can forget that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are a lot of posters on this board who thought the Big East would get close to nothing in the next TV deal.

Yes that's exactly how you have framed their argument. Nobody actually thinks that, but I guess if you keep saying it some people may believe you.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There is no way in the world that NBC affiliates would allow a double header with Notre Dame. They aren't going to preempt their local news for games that get no ratings. The games would have to kick off at 6. You can forget that.

I'm not sure whether it will happen or not, but there does seem to be a lot of chatter on other websites about that possibility. Of course, I understand that rumor begets rumor, but it seems like a reasonable idea to more than just Boneyarders. Also, keep in mind that it doesn't always have to be the game following ND. It could be the game before. In those instances, it would likely involve our western partners only when they visit eastern locations at noon (i.e., Boise State at the Rent), followed by ND at 3:30. That would be fine with me, even if we are going up against an SEC matchup on CBS and two ACC matchups on ESPN and ESPN2.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure whether it will happen or not, but there does seem to be a lot of chatter on other websites about that possibility. Of course, I understand that rumor begets rumor, but it seems like a reasonable idea to more than just Boneyarders. Also, keep in mind that it doesn't always have to be the game following ND. It could be the game before. In those instances, it would likely involve our western partners only when they visit eastern locations at noon (i.e., Boise State at the Rent), followed by ND at 3:30. That would be fine with me, even if we are going up against an SEC matchup on CBS and two ACC matchups on ESPN and ESPN2.

Then you are going to need NBC to convince ND to change when they start their home games, because they don't play at 3:30. Chatter on websites... what percentage of that happens and what percentage of what happens did we never hear?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Then you are going to need NBC to convince ND to change when they start their home games, because they don't play at 3:30. Chatter on websites... what percentage of that happens and what percentage of what happens did we never hear?

That's funny, because listed here on next season's schedule, half of the games with announced times are at 3:30pm. Are you sure about your statement? Wish to retract it?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish

As for chatter on websites, I understand your sentiment. However, with multiple websites reporting in, they are normally slightly more accurate than my weatherman (40%?)...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Addendum: Actually, as per Notre Dame's website, 5 of the 9 games with announced times are at 3:30 (Purdue, Stanford, BYU, Pitt, WF).

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/nd-m-footbl-sched.html

All of the 3:30pm games are on NBC, by the way. Again, plenty of time for you to retract your statement. I'll wait.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's funny, because listed here on next season's schedule, half of the games with announced times are at 3:30pm. Are you sure about your statement? Wish to retract it?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish

As for chatter on websites, I understand your sentiment. However, with multiple websites reporting in, they are normally slightly more accurate than my weatherman (40%?)...

If I'm wrong I retract it, I thought they played their home games at 2 or 2:30 - they certainly seemed to start at a different time than everyone else.

I still don't see why a network would put these games on Saturday against a huge number of options. If the geography is an advantage... nothing like a 9am kickoff right? Would they really want to commit ratings suicide by putting game on in primetime? I get that no one watches NBC now, but with primetime games on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 on top of the other games all over the cable, the games would get dreadful ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom