Memphis AD on the new BE TV deal | The Boneyard

Memphis AD on the new BE TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
"The hopes of the BIG EAST people are to get somewhere up in the teens (of millions). Not the $20 million that the Big 12 is getting or the $22 or $24 million that the Big Ten, SEC and PAC-12 got in their new deal, but the time is right. The people are excited. We talk about the geography, but the television people like the inventory. They like the time zones. There's even conversations going on with NBC about trying to do a doubleheader with Notre Dame and a BIG EAST game."

Reaction Score
Three ways to read this:
1) Yeah! The BE may come out ahead from the previous discussions with ESPN
2) It's Memphis... Take this with a grain of salt
3) If it is true, only means it's a matter before we have another setback (more realignment, BCS finalizes new proposal etc).

For every step forward this conference has made it seems like some opposing coference or committee does something to set us back (ACC raid 1, ACC raid 2, WVU exit, TCU exit, BCS AQ Status)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
now would be a great time to add air force for 2015 to go with navy and to add sdsu/bsu other sports in 2015 also. then we can get 1 or 2 more west coast schools for all sports and be set for this tv contract. would give us a $$ boost i bet. and 1 or 2 other markets would do the same.

the b12 sits at 10 right now. no matter the acc rumors i like to spread here they are not stupid, they will go to atleast 12 so they can have a ship game for a bcs bid. lville is going to be 1 of those.

east- uconn/ruty/navy/usf/ucf/cincy/temple/ecu
west- sdsu/bsu/smu/uh/memphis//?/?

i say ecu should get a spot. they don't have a great market but they have a great program with a ready stadium and they put a dagger to acc territory. need that.

that east divison is a solid 5th best conf. it has a trip to fl for recruiting built in with ucf/usf and it also have north cary, wash dc, nyc, phili and ohio. thats a best case for the nbe imho.

out west you can have a built in texas with smu/uh and then from there is the question.

i think fresno should be in the running out west. fball ready and a good stadium. also unlv and unr. maybe a utah st should be looked at. byu would be a great add if the b12 stuff doesn't happen but they seem like a huge reach at this point.

if we end up stuck in the nbe and the acc never calls, this would be my idea of a best case for the league

west- sdsu/bsu/smu/uh/memphis//fresno/unlv

the east has plenty of good fball schools that can hold there own right now.
the west has bsu and uh which are good enough to keep that division ok while the others build.

in bball both divisions have good programs. uconn, cincy, memphis and temple are fine and sdsu/unlv are good enough that the league will be strong enough to live no doubt.

in other sports the league actually gets a little better like baseball, but thats not part of the answer here...

Reaction Score
now would be a great time to add air force for 2015 to go with navy and to add sdsu/bsu other sports in 2015 also. then we can get 1 or 2 more west coast schools for all sports and be set for this tv contract. would give us a $$ boost i bet. and 1 or 2 other markets would do the same.

the b12 sits at 10 right now. no matter the acc rumors i like to spread here they are not stupid, they will go to atleast 12 so they can have a ship game for a bcs bid. lville is going to be 1 of those.

west- sdsu/bsu/smu/uh/memphis//?/?

i say ecu should get a spot. they don't have a great market but they have a great program with a ready stadium and they put a dagger to acc territory. need that.

that east divison is a solid 5th best conf. it has a trip to fl for recruiting built in with ucf/usf and it also have north cary, wash dc, nyc, phili and ohio. thats a best case for the nbe imho.

out west you can have a built in texas with smu/uh and then from there is the question.

i think fresno should be in the running out west. fball ready and a good stadium. also unlv and unr. maybe a utah st should be looked at. byu would be a great add if the b12 stuff doesn't happen but they seem like a huge reach at this point.

if we end up stuck in the nbe and the acc never calls, this would be my idea of a best case for the league

west- sdsu/bsu/smu/uh/memphis//fresno/unlv

the east has plenty of good fball schools that can hold there own right now.
the west has bsu and uh which are good enough to keep that division ok while the others build.

in bball both divisions have good programs. uconn, cincy, memphis and temple are fine and sdsu/unlv are good enough that the league will be strong enough to live no doubt.

in other sports the league actually gets a little better like baseball, but thats not part of the answer here...
If the $'s are that good without Syr and Pitt, might they have second thoughts about going to the ACC? Not sure we get more than the ACC but those figures aren't too far behind. I assume if Pitt and Syr were added back, the $'s would go up some.

If they decided to come back, I think the BE would still take them.
Both schools have shown some class in this process.
Maybe not very likely but you have to think it will cross their minds if the $'s are that big.

Reaction Score
A well known BYU source is twitting that BE is still talking to BYU. There could be something there. Here is the info:

Shoganai @SBShoganai
"I'll have more on this in coming weeks, but the Big East has kept in touch with BYU. And BYU has kept in touch right back."

I posted weeks ago that BE should shoot for $15M+ per all sports team and some people here thought I was high. I am glad RC Johnson is confirming some of that stuff. Another smart thing BE finally did is hiring the same media negotiation team that did the PAC-12 deal. I hope we can retain our tier-3 rights. It would be nice to start a Husky Network in CT with SNY running the station.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If the $'s are that good without Syr and Pitt, might they have second thoughts about going to the ACC? Not sure we get more than the ACC but those figures aren't too far behind. I assume if Pitt and Syr were added back, the $'s would go up some.

If they decided to come back, I think the BE would still take them.
Both schools have shown some class in this process.
Maybe not very likely but you have to think it will cross their minds if the $'s are that big.

if the $$ is the same or not as good, goto the acc. even if the $$ in the nnbe some how turnout ot to be 1 or 2 mil more i say goto the acc. the bball rivals and fball is good enough, plus being with unc/clem/fsu/uva is priceless compared to the nbe. its all a matter of if the acc sticks together or if it gets torn apart by the b12. this $$ info form the article is very good news for us. it tells us at worst that we can survive $$ wise in the nnbe as our tv $$ will be enought to compete on this level. the brand name of schools/league in the acc is above the nbe no matter how u look at it. i just think were in a good spot now. our worst case isn't horrible and our possible is the acc(as is now acc + ruty or nd).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
A well known BYU source is twitting that BE is still talking to BYU. There could be something there. Here is the info:

Shoganai @SBShoganai
"I'll have more on this in coming weeks, but the Big East has kept in touch with BYU. And BYU has kept in touch right back."

I posted weeks ago that BE should shoot for $15M+ per all sports team and some people here thought I was high. I am glad RC Johnson is confirming some of that stuff. Another smart thing BE finally did is hiring the same media negotiation team that did the PAC-12 deal. I hope we can retain our tier-3 rights. It would be nice to start a Husky Network in CT with SNY running the station.

thats big news also if true. imagine throwing byu into this and taking out unlv or fresno towards a goal of 16...

Reaction Score
if the $$ is the same or not as good, goto the acc. even if the $$ in the nnbe some how turnout ot to be 1 or 2 mil more i say goto the acc. the bball rivals and fball is good enough, plus being with unc/clem/fsu/uva is priceless compared to the nbe. its all a matter of if the acc sticks together or if it gets torn apart by the b12. this $$ info form the article is very good news for us. it tells us at worst that we can survive $$ wise in the nnbe as our tv $$ will be enought to compete on this level. the brand name of schools/league in the acc is above the nbe no matter how u look at it. i just think were in a good spot now. our worst case isn't horrible and our possible is the acc(as is now acc + ruty or nd).

ACC is screwed with its 10+ years media deal with the ESPN. Yes ESPN will add $1M to $2M per school to the ACC deal once Pitt and CUSE join, but they will want more years. They might force ACC to add 3 to 5 years to the back-end of their deal. ACC might be locked in to ESPN only for the next 13 to 18 years. That's nuts.

There are multiple dangers ACC has to face in the coming years. SEC/B1G/B12 would all look at ACC schools if they want to expand. You don't think FSU will want $10M+ more per year if B12 get a new TV deal or if SEC wants to go to 16?

If ACC is raided, I am not sure it will be a better place for UCONN. It will just be the old BE all over again without the big FB names.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ACC is screwed with its 10+ years media deal with the ESPN. Yes ESPN will add $1M to $2M per school to the ACC deal once Pitt and CUSE join, but they will want more years. They might force ACC to add 3 to 5 years to the back-end of their deal. ACC might be locked in to ESPN only for the next 13 to 18 years. That's nuts.

There are multiple dangers ACC has to face in the coming years. SEC/B1G/B12 would all look at ACC schools if they want to expand. You don't think FSU will want $10M+ more per year if B12 get a new TV deal or if SEC wants to go to 16?

If ACC is raided, I am not sure it will be a better place for UCONN. It will just be the old BE all over again without the big FB names.

i agree 100%. thats why i think were in a good spot now. our worst case is the nbe which isn't that bad if the contract stuff is true. our best case is the acc stays together and adds us and 1 more team.

a broken down acc vs the nbe is the tough decision. it would then be what will the acc leftovers do.
a wild way to look at it is lets say the acc is down to bc/cuse/pitt/duke/wake/maimi. well i would say the nbe would be better. but if the acc added uconn/ruty/usf/ucf/temple/cincy etc then that acc would be the better conf. so i still think the acc is the ennding spot. if the acc gets torn apart, they will tear the eastern division of the nbe apart so we would have to go with i think...

Reaction Score
i agree 100%. thats why i think were in a good spot now. our worst case is the nbe which isn't that bad if the contract stuff is true. our best case is the acc stays together and adds us and 1 more team.

a broken down acc vs the nbe is the tough decision. it would then be what will the acc leftovers do.
a wild way to look at it is lets say the acc is down to bc/cuse/pitt/duke/wake/maimi. well i would say the nbe would be better. but if the acc added uconn/ruty/usf/ucf/temple/cincy etc then that acc would be the better conf. so i still think the acc is the ennding spot. if the acc gets torn apart, they will tear the eastern division of the nbe apart so we would have to go with i think...

Not if NBE force all the teams to sign over the media rights like they did in B12 or the B1G. ACC tried but it got turned down. ACC also tried to up the exit fee to $30M+ and it was settled at $20M. FYI, FSU and Maryland objected to the $30M+ exit fee. You can read whatever you want into that. Without the media rights signing over, ACC is vulnerable to poaching and they got teams SEC/B1G/B12 want.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Not if NBE force all the teams to sign over the media rights like they did in B12 or the B1G. ACC tried but it got turned down. ACC also tried to up the exit fee to $30M+ and it was settled at $20M. FYI, FSU and Maryland objected to the $30M+ exit fee. You can read whatever you want into that. Without the media rights signing over, ACC is vulnerable to poaching and they got teams SEC/B1G/B12 want.

good point. i would think that susan/warde wouldn't sign out rights away or agre to a huge buyout unless the nnbe was our only option. otherwise i would expect us to make some noise with that stuff.

Reaction Score
good point. i would think that susan/warde wouldn't sign out rights away or agre to a huge buyout unless the nnbe was our only option. otherwise i would expect us to make some noise with that stuff.

I don't expect us to sign over those rights either if I am UCONN. However, those are the only thing that seem to force conference stability. Without it, teams are always open to bolt.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I don't expect us to sign over those rights either if I am UCONN. However, those are the only thing that seem to force conference stability. Without it, teams are always open to bolt.

if uconn and ruty or nd was added to the acc and a higher buyout was reached and rights were to be signed i would do it asap. that would be my only for sure i guess thinking about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The article is pure speculation. The BE still can't talk with anyone but ESPN. Still, it's good to hear that someone has an expectation of a decent payout.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If I am reading this right, we are basing our Big East optimism on quotes from the Memphis AD that the OP found on a UCF message board. Shoot me now.

Obama took my gun away from me...

Reaction Score
if the $$ is the same or not as good, goto the acc. even if the $$ in the nnbe some how turnout ot to be 1 or 2 mil more i say goto the acc.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the BEast actually offer Miami more than the ACC, at least in the short term, but Shalala and company decide to jump anyway?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Shoganai @SBShoganai

WestCoastHusky, you are rocking my world today! :cool: Actually, I was wondering if the recent talks about new playoff formats were going to change BYU's minds on us. I am sure that the major conferences are going to be the big beneficiaries of any change that happens to the bowl system / playoff system. Since BYU doesn't command the respect that fellow independent Notre Dame does (like having its own rep. at the table during the talks), I thought they might change their minds fast about conference realignment.

The question in my mind was and is; does BYU choose the NBE over the Big-12 (who would clearly also like to add them)? And what factors (outside of allowing them their own tv rights) would make them choose us over the Big-12? I certainly think that if the money is anywhere near the number that Johnson threw out there (i.e., 10-13 million) that we shall be seeing Air Force join the NBE very soon. I think the additions of and BYU would be huge for this conference, and I'm even wondering if they are researching tv packages with one or both of those teams included. Tagliabue's advice has to be worth something, right? Let's hope so...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
WestCoastHusky, you are rocking my world today! :cool: Actually, I was wondering if the recent talks about new playoff formats were going to change BYU's minds on us. I am sure that the major conferences are going to be the big beneficiaries of any change that happens to the bowl system / playoff system. Since BYU doesn't command the respect that fellow independent Notre Dame does (like having its own rep. at the table during the talks), I thought they might change their minds fast about conference realignment.

The question in my mind was and is; does BYU choose the NBE over the Big-12 (who would clearly also like to add them)? And what factors (outside of allowing them their own tv rights) would make them choose us over the Big-12? I certainly think that if the money is anywhere near the number that Johnson threw out there (i.e., 10-13 million) that we shall be seeing Air Force join the NBE very soon. I think the additions of and BYU would be huge for this conference, and I'm even wondering if they are researching tv packages with one or both of those teams included. Tagliabue's advice has to be worth something, right? Let's hope so...

I'd much prefer the BE conference that Uconn signed up for when they decided to go 1A- BCU, SU, Miami, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU, VT, etc.

But since that isn't happening, I want Uconn in a conference with as many teams with national name recognition, TV markets and national respect. BYU and AFA fit all three. They have name recognition, they're in two of the biggest markets in the mountain time zone and they have a history of team and individual success.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are a lot of posters on this board who thought the Big East would get close to nothing in the next TV deal.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
without memphis that contract would be like 7 mil.

Reaction Score
without memphis that contract would be like 7 mil.

This Big East (in this case Memphis) is once again spouting off at the mouth when there should be a gag order. Why must we continually bring attention to anything and everything good that is about to happen so that an outsider can screw it up?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East is not supposed to be talking to NBC. I think this would be a violation of their current contract with ESPN, which gives ESPN an exclusive negotiating window through August. Either a) non-Big East schools (such as Boise) are negotiating on behalf of the Big East, which makes sense, or b) the Big East is violating the agreement, either with or without ESPN's permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom