2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what’s worse, failing to see Steph Castle as a prime example of someone who can find a balance between winning/what’s best for the team, and still being an nba lottery pick.

Or arguing he’ll be a “x” in a “position less system”.

If it’s position less, you’re wrong by definition.
Thank you

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think Mahaney gets significant minutes at the 1 in order to gain more minutes at the 2 & 3 for McNeeley, Ball, Stewart, and Ross. I think Ross gets the kind of development minutes Stewart got last year (single digit per game).

I also think Reed ends up starting over Johnson by late in the year. Johnson might have an edge early due to experience in the system. And that Stewart will be ahead of Abraham as the backup to Karaban.

But those are just minor tweaks. Agree with your main points.
I'm hoping Abraham is the defensive stud (let alone an offensive asset) as advertised so that when we play teams with highly regarded offensive players we can substitute him in regardless if the opponent is a 1-4. Castle was a backbreaker against stud offensive players as was Andre Jackson. LOL let the current years 6-7 nightmares for opponents begin!

Reaction Score
I usually like Torres but the fact that he made this in to an 11 minute video when it could have been a 2 minute video was annoying as hell.
Torres talks, a lot. And he’s intensely over caffeinated, which makes him over-verbose, definitely a mood thing. If I’m not in it, I find him annoying as h. I know he’s trying to make a name for himself, should try and tone it down a tad. I run over his opening bit.

Reaction Score
Really??? The one thing that everyone said is his weakest skill you want to display more of?
Guys, castle is a stud. More shots, more reps would have made him better, not worse. I am not the one that brought castle to the conversation. But he did, in fact, said what he said. I am not making that up.

Reaction Score
Minor criticism, he dribbles waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

Easily fixable, but that's my observation.
I think in truth there is noone to pass to. There is only 1 other scorer on the team and Preston Fowler can spot up open 3's. It was very much like our offensive scheme when we gave the ball to Bouknight with 8 sec left and let him figure it out.

Reaction Score
Can the kid dunk? (Lol) only once in the video which is great. Most of these videos are a dunkfest which shows athleticism at most
Really focused on his out shot and dribbling. Absolutely want this kid at uconn
He's not huge. 6'3" barefoot and 6'5" wingspan. Body type and athleticism reminds me of Hawkins minus an inch or so.

awy

Reaction Score
unironically dunks at the youth level is kind of good metric for future projection. meleek's physical progression or lack thereof was what held him back a bit but he's been productive, and OTE is good at developing the physical part of a player. i'd expect some athleticism development

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I submit to you that he would have flourished anywhere. He wouldn't have been a champion anywhere, but in terms of selling himself to the NBA, dude he could have gone anywhere and be a lottery pick.
As a father of more than one child, I find myself constantly giving my children different advise...because all kids are not the same. What works for one, may not work for the other.
And because you got me going, allow me to say that if he had chosen to go to a college program that allowed him to shoot more, he may have been the #1 pick this year. Wouldn't that have been the smarter path to the NBA?
In general I kinda agree with you. If he went anywhere that allowed him to run the show the NBA would’ve been salivating at a 6’6 do it all PG with the IQ he has. Especially in a draft like this.

Not necessarily a team that lets him shoot more. But just a team that lets him show his ability to run a team and how he can make guys around him better.

But alas he can say he’s a champion and still be good enough to force his way back into his normal position going here. Because the kid was THAT great.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
In general I kinda agree with you. If he went anywhere that allowed him to run the show the NBA would’ve been salivating at a 6’6 do it all PG with the IQ he has. Especially in a draft like this.

Not necessarily a team that lets him shoot more. But just a team that lets him show his ability to run a team and how he can make guys around him better.

But alas he can say he’s a champion and still be good enough to force his way back into his normal position going here. Because the kid was THAT great.

There’s also the chance he doesn’t necessarily stand out or answer questions about his game on an average team.

Then he goes like 12-15 based on athleticism, AND he enters the NBA without as much coaching and fine tuning.

You just never know.

Reaction Score
I think in truth there is noone to pass to. There is only 1 other scorer on the team and Preston Fowler can spot up open 3's. It was very much like our offensive scheme when we gave the ball to Bouknight with 8 sec left and let him figure it out.
First thing that stood out to me is the over dribbling - a bit head down only looking at rim. As someone said, fixable.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There’s also the chance he doesn’t necessarily stand out or answer questions about his game on an average team.

Then he goes like 12-15 based on athleticism, AND he enters the NBA without as much coaching and fine tuning.

You just never know.
Just seeing how easily he acclimated himself back to the position in SL I can’t see that.

The kid didn’t play the position all year and picked it back up effortlessly to where one of the best coaches in NBA history gushed about him. I’m not sure the questions about his game he would’ve had to answer outside of shooting. He would’ve killed it as a PG wherever he went. Just don’t know how much he would’ve won.

Even Cade Cunningham (one of my comps for Castle) didn’t get to the sweet 16 I think and he was elite.

Reaction Score
Looks like Meleek can get his shot when and if he wants it. Have not studied his AAU team makeup in these summer videos but it looks to me like he's got to have the ball in his hands so that he can get his shots. In other words- His teammates either don't possess the BBIQ that he has and/or don't have great PG play to deliver him the ball in his spots. At UConn with our offensive sets and excellent ball handlers/team BBIQ-- Meleek can concentrate on scoring and sharing the ball within the context of game flow and excellent talent on the floor. In the open floor-fast breaks-He's almost unstoppable. At the end of a shot clock-He can get his shot.

pj

Reaction Score
Just seeing how easily he acclimated himself back to the position in SL I can’t see that.

The kid didn’t play the position all year and picked it back up effortlessly to where one of the best coaches in NBA history gushed about him. I’m not sure the questions about his game he would’ve had to answer outside of shooting. He would’ve killed it as a PG wherever he went. Just don’t know how much he would’ve won.

Even Cade Cunningham (one of my comps for Castle) didn’t get to the sweet 16 I think and he was elite.

UConn seeks to play positionless basketball where everyone can initiate and distribute. Castle surely was coached to do both. In that sense, he did play point guard with UConn and he did develop and demonstrate point guard skills. Hurley did a great job preparing him for the pros.

I don't see any evidence that some other school would have prepared him better. If "being handed the ball and asked to create" was enough to get a guy to the NBA, the list of 5*s who never made it would be a lot shorter.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
UConn seeks to play positionless basketball where everyone can initiate and distribute. Castle surely was coached to do both. In that sense, he did play point guard with UConn and he did develop and demonstrate point guard skills. Hurley did a great job preparing him for the pros.

I don't see any evidence that some other school would have prepared him better. If "being handed the ball and asked to create" was enough to get a guy to the NBA, the list of 5*s who never made it would be a lot shorter.

That's kinda what I'm getting at - thank you.

It's easy for everyone to say "look at Castle's talent, he would have killed it as the primary threat elsewhere" but in reality it's not that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom