2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball

Reaction Score
Not my personal opinion on what should happen. Just my guess based on what Hurley has shown in the past to value experience.

Has nothing to do with what I personally think about Liam. Hurley just has never shown a tendency to experiment. We’re talking about a guy that doesn’t even experiment with the draws he wears on game day lol
Correct, Hurley doesn't experiment but he let's the cream rise to the top regardless of class (Karaban, Castle, etc. as frosh) or tenure (Cole, Martin, Newton, etc. as transfers).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Correct, Hurley doesn't experiment but he let's the cream rise to the top regardless of class (Karaban, Castle, etc. as frosh) or tenure (Cole, Martin, Newton, etc. as transfers).
Karaban had no competition and there would’ve been some crazy side eyes if Diarra started over Castle.

I’ll be surprised if Liam starts over Stewart in a genuinely close competition.

Reaction Score
Karaban had no competition and there would’ve been some crazy side eyes if Diarra started over Castle.

I’ll be surprised if Liam starts over Stewart in a genuinely close competition.
Karaban should have won the Big East freshman of the year. He rose to the top and would've regardless if Johnson was healthy or not. If Castle wasn't better than Diarra, I doubt he would've been given a starter's role. Hurley runs a meritocracy.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Karaban was actually behind Samson on the depth chart before he got injured. Which probably adds to your point.
Yeah Hurley has won two championships with his risk adverse style (which means not leaning on freshman and creating high floor lineups) so it’s not like there’s anything wrong with it when it comes to winning.

Don’t really expect him to change that this year given his past results.

Reaction Score
Yeah Hurley has won two championships with his risk adverse style (which means not leaning on freshman and creating high floor lineups) so it’s not like there’s anything wrong with it when it comes to winning.

Don’t really expect him to change that this year given his past results.
I don't think being risk averse is what won the back to back. What won the back to back was installing a system(s) that leveraged the strengths and diminished the weaknesses of the individual players who then executed impeccably.

Reaction Score
I think @navery12 is best qualified to handle this

I never seem to have much success with this argument, and it's admittedly not straightforward but...
Karaban was actually behind Samson on the depth chart before he got injured. Which probably adds to your point.
Pasting from my old post because I'm lazy

He was a little more direct on Big East media day and said there's a real chance Karaban starts at the 4. But also just a lot of subtle comments like the one in this article when he was talking about the roster that made Karaban appear to have the edge at the 4. Mostly the parts in bold about pulling Samson quickly if Karaban was healthy, and about loving the 4 spot so wanting to find minutes for Samson at the 5 that made it seem to me that Karaban had the edge pre-injury

UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley on the roster, toughness, and more

Hurley offers insight into several of positional battles going on during the preseason.

On Samson Johnson and Alex Karaban at the four spot​

“I got some good advice to stop talking about the NBA and my players. I’m not going to prognosticate that way, but Samson has a high ceiling. Alex being hurt helped him because he was able to play through mistakes in the first scrimmage, where I might have pulled him quick. It was good for him to process things quicker on the court. Once he can do that, he can unleash his talent. He as much physical ability as anyone I’ve had here.”

I love the four spot right now. We’ll experiment maybe with playing Samson and Alex together with Samson at center, because those two guys make a real difference from an offensive standpoint. Samson brings different things to both backboards, with his athleticism, slashing, and above the rim play. Our fours are young but they’re talented.”

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't think being risk averse is what won the back to back. What won the back to back was installing a system(s) that leveraged the strengths and diminished the weaknesses of the individual players who then executed impeccably.
Two things can be true at once. Because of that system it’s best to lean on experienced players you know can execute it even more. Which leaves less need to experiment. Just find guys who can execute.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but I believe this year, due to a number of factors, there will be quite a bit more experimenting than we've seen in the past from DH over the first eight plus weeks of the season, with the goal being to have the right lineup & rotations in place by the midpoint of conference play.

Yes BL, this is pure spectulation, something that we boneyarders often do to an extreme, so I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I could well be wrong here (won't be the first time and likely won't be the last) but assuming no inuries, I believe that AK will be the only player to start every game and he will also be the only one to average more than 25 minutes per game. There is too much depth of quality talent and too many possibilities to have one of the next five players (who would play one or two of three positions) to start every game.

I will go on record stating that each of Ball, Diarra, Mahaney, McNeeley and Stewart will not be in the starting lineup for at least five games this upcoming season. I also believe that our top two centers (Johnson, Reed) will both start double digit games, with the approach (who starts, who comes off the bench) that proves most effective being utilized almost exclusively form mid-January forward.

One thing that I am extremely confident about is that three or four of the players on our roster will end up with far fewer minutes than their abitlities would warrant under different circumstances and that five or six, who are seeing a good amount of playing time (20-22 minutes per game) would easily have seen six, eight, ten additional minutes each game in different environment. These are the problems you prefer to have.
Yup, pretty nice summary

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom