2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball

Reaction Score
Hass starts, his to lose. Of course he will do what is best for the team/whatever Hurley says, BUT, he has made such strides, and been such a team guy, it would be criminal not to reward his continued improvement and leadership. At some point maybe Ball outplays him and sends him back to be 6th man, but I don't see it right now.

Reaction Score
Hass starts, his to lose. Of course he will do what is best for the team/whatever Hurley says, BUT, he has made such strides, and been such a team guy, it would be criminal not to reward his continued improvement and leadership. At some point maybe Ball outplays him and sends him back to be 6th man, but I don't see it right now.
I would tend to agree that Hass will likely start for his skill, experience, and leadership. But I also tend to think that the “starting” designation will carry less weight this coming season than we’ve been used to during Hurley’s tenure. I think Hurley will experiment a lot with different lineup combinations early in the season, see what works in different scenarios and matchups, and use the depth the team has to press more and play more uptempo than we’ve seen in the past. Opposing teams will get an onslaught of defensive pressure from a deep and rested Husky roster. The rotation will likely narrow a bit heading into March, but 10 guys will get ample minutes in November, December, and likely January.

Reaction Score
100%. I am also turned off with the constant "Look!" or "Listen!" declarations as if he is trying to wake us up. Further I can't stand his constant reference to being a pro tennis prospect. Who cares. I have removed this one from my rotation. Someone let me know if Locked On gets someone better.
Personally, I thank the basketball gods we finally got daily UConn content. What's the alternative to Locked On? More Dauster-produced cringe featuring Jeff "Looks Good in Orange" Goodman? Please. The more amateur-ish UConn pods come out inconsistently. I like Scoreboard, but it's primarily softballs with UConn-connected people, without any deep dives into recruiting, etc. unless I'm missing something?

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Based on Hurley’s history. He likes to have a pretty set starter group to lean on throughout the year.

The bench minutes may change some. But the starters usually remain the same.
Perhaps, but I believe this year, due to a number of factors, there will be quite a bit more experimenting than we've seen in the past from DH over the first eight plus weeks of the season, with the goal being to have the right lineup & rotations in place by the midpoint of conference play.

This. Speculation is fine, but it’s speculation — we shouldn’t pretend we know things that we’re just speculating on. AK has proven he can play at an all conference level in our league. Diarra has proven that, playing half a game, he can be extremely productive for us. Everyone else is just wild speculation, some with more evidence for speculating than others.

My point isn’t that any position is right or wrong. Just that there needs to be more respect for differing opinions on what is really nothing more than wild butt guesses.
Yes BL, this is pure spectulation, something that we boneyarders often do to an extreme, so I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I could well be wrong here (won't be the first time and likely won't be the last) but assuming no inuries, I believe that AK will be the only player to start every game and he will also be the only one to average more than 25 minutes per game. There is too much depth of quality talent and too many possibilities to have one of the next five players (who would play one or two of three positions) to start every game.

I will go on record stating that each of Ball, Diarra, Mahaney, McNeeley and Stewart will not be in the starting lineup for at least five games this upcoming season. I also believe that our top two centers (Johnson, Reed) will both start double digit games, with the approach (who starts, who comes off the bench) that proves most effective being utilized almost exclusively form mid-January forward.

One thing that I am extremely confident about is that three or four of the players on our roster will end up with far fewer minutes than their abitlities would warrant under different circumstances and that five or six, who are seeing a good amount of playing time (20-22 minutes per game) would easily have seen six, eight, ten additional minutes each game in different environment. These are the problems you prefer to have.

Reaction Score
100%. I am also turned off with the constant "Look!" or "Listen!" declarations as if he is trying to wake us up. Further I can't stand his constant reference to being a pro tennis prospect. Who cares. I have removed this one from my rotation. Someone let me know if Locked On gets someone better.

I appreciate anyone who is trying to provide info about, and interest in, UConn basketball. However, I think plan is overly ambitious and that he would do better to only produce one show each week, except when news breaks. Also hate any site that uses clickbait titles. It's counterproductive, IMO.

Reaction Score
I appreciate anyone who is trying to provide info about, and interest in, UConn basketball. However, I think plan is overly ambitious and that he would do better to only produce one show each week, except when news breaks. Also hate any site that uses clickbait titles. It's counterproductive, IMO.
Agree - less men's basketball than a show a day for the off-season. If they added in women's basketball and football content, then you'd have enough valuable content for 5-7 shows a week during the men's basketball off-season months.

pj

Reaction Score
The nearly unanimous projection of McNeeley and Mahaney as starters is an especially egregious example of this offensive tunnel vision. If they start, they will have to not only outshoot four solid shooters in Diarra, Ball, Stewart and Karaban but out-rebound them and out-defend them as well..

Good post. I agree that McNeeley and Mahaney may not be among the 5 best players early in the season, primarily because of the time it takes to become a quality defender and rebounder in a physical conference like the Big East.

But I also agree with the poster who said that Hurley doesn't like to change starters during the season. He will project his best March unit and make them the starters from the beginning of the year. The players will just have to develop their defense and rebounding and physical conditioning during the year.

And I expect McNeeley and Mahaney to be among the best 5 in March.

Reaction Score
That's just blatantly wrong about Ball's defense. I'll admit there's some projecting on Ball to say he's better, but the sophomore leap is real under Hurley. We've seen it with basically all the top recruits. It just reminds me of all the people who laughed at the idea of a sophomore Hawkins starting.

And that's nothing against Diarra, he's a great player. I just think you nailed it with he was the BE 6th man of the year for a reason. He was and I think him doing the same thing again next year is ideal

I agree, but I think you've gotta agree that Solo hasn't shown the promise that Stewart or Hawkins did. Stewart objectively put up pretty bleh stats, but he passed the eye test for draft gurus and fandoms across the country. That's why his name is popping up everywhere and Solo's isn't.

I don't really agree on the defense either, but he is one of the worst passers I've ever seen at 6'3. Every one of our wings is starting from a better place as a ball mover, and it's a requirement to be successful in our offense.

My opinion? AK and Mahaney are starting. Mostly likely Reed too.

Hass, Stewart, McNeeley battle to round out the starting 5.

Whoever of those 3 doesn't start come in at the under-16 with Samson and of those first 7, whoever performs on any given night is playing big minutes.

Solo and Ahmad/Abraham round out a rotation of 9 with the fewest minutes, but still playing most nights.

Ross, Singare spot minutes with wjoever of Nowell and Abraham doesn't make the cut.

I'm probably wrong.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
the assumption isn't that they don't have to rebound or defend. just trust the staff to get guys like mahaney to defend at a good level. it's early in the summer they played for offense. the defense and rebounding will be there.
That's correct. They are in Hurley school this summer and fall and ability to defend will be challenged for sure. Trust the staff!

Reaction Score
Nothing you said is objectively wrong but the only way to get our top 2 draft prospects (Liam and Stew) both in the starting lineup is to play Liam at the 2. I want the starting lineup to be
Mahaney / McNeeley / Stew / AK / Reed
This is my fav starting 5 too but I had to take rotation into consideration & stew is the back up 4 so I think Mahaney/ball/stew/alex/reed would be ideal so when u sub Alex/stew out for mcneely u can side Alex/stew to the 4
But I love the idea of playing mahaney/mcneely/stew/ak/reed
Especially if reed can hedge out on ball screens that line up would be sick

JLW

Reaction Score
What’s a great problem to have. Total faith in the coaches to make a very talented, deep group a dominant team come March.

Reaction Score
Over and over again, the lineups projected here assume that we can put on the floor an offensive juggernaut that doesn't have to rebound and doesn't have to defend.

Fact is, we have lost, and not replaced, nearly all our rebounding from last year -- not just Clingan but Newton, Castle and Spencer. We have lost, and not replaced, our best interior defender and our best perimeter defender. Diarra is the only proven defender on the team, and I respectfully suggest that any lineup that does not include Diarra is a defensive sieve, based on what we know now.

The nearly unanimous projection of McNeeley and Mahaney as starters is an especially egregious example of this offensive tunnel vision. If they start, they will have to not only outshoot four solid shooters in Diarra, Ball, Stewart and Karaban but out-rebound them and out-defend them as well..
I see your thesis, but you are assuming that our ‘replacements’ can’t rebound, or don’t have the height, to be effective rebounders. Liam is 6’7”. Last I checked that’s higher than TN, Cam and as tall as castle. Aidan is 6’ 3” or 6’4”, also as tall as the departed. And we have Stewart projected to play big minutes, and he is 6’7”. And yes we lost DC, but his replacement is another big body. Where I will concede your point is that rim protection won’t be the same. But rebounding? I reject that thesis.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but I believe this year, due to a number of factors, there will be quite a bit more experimenting than we've seen in the past from DH over the first eight plus weeks of the season, with the goal being to have the right lineup & rotations in place by the midpoint of conference play.

Yes BL, this is pure spectulation, something that we boneyarders often do to an extreme, so I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I could well be wrong here (won't be the first time and likely won't be the last) but assuming no inuries, I believe that AK will be the only player to start every game and he will also be the only one to average more than 25 minutes per game. There is too much depth of quality talent and too many possibilities to have one of the next five players (who would play one or two of three positions) to start every game.

I will go on record stating that each of Ball, Diarra, Mahaney, McNeeley and Stewart will not be in the starting lineup for at least five games this upcoming season. I also believe that our top two centers (Johnson, Reed) will both start double digit games, with the approach (who starts, who comes off the bench) that proves most effective being utilized almost exclusively form mid-January forward.

One thing that I am extremely confident about is that three or four of the players on our roster will end up with far fewer minutes than their abitlities would warrant under different circumstances and that five or six, who are seeing a good amount of playing time (20-22 minutes per game) would easily have seen six, eight, ten additional minutes each game in different environment. These are the problems you prefer to have.
Great take.

Reaction Score
1721588697921.gif

Off the rails again. It’s the Boneyard Express. Choo choo

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

From what we know about Hurley between the superstitions, his very risk adverse nature, and also being super aware of analytics (the more we blow people out the better it is for Kenpom?), I can’t see him being experimental about the lineups. Would be surprised to see it based on what we’ve seen. He’s way too big on structure and order.

My guess for the starters would be

Mahaney
Stewart
AK
Samson

And then one of Diarra or Ball for that final spot. With the main bench rotation as the other, Liam, and Reed if we do end up cutting it to 8 later in the season.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I think you've gotta agree that Solo hasn't shown the promise that Stewart or Hawkins did. Stewart objectively put up pretty bleh stats, but he passed the eye test for draft gurus and fandoms across the country. That's why his name is popping up everywhere and Solo's isn't.

I don't really agree on the defense either, but he is one of the worst passers I've ever seen at 6'3. Every one of our wings is starting from a better place as a ball mover, and it's a requirement to be successful in our offense.

My opinion? AK and Mahaney are starting. Mostly likely Reed too.

Hass, Stewart, McNeeley battle to round out the starting 5.

Whoever of those 3 doesn't start come in at the under-16 with Samson and of those first 7, whoever performs on any given night is playing big minutes.

Solo and Ahmad/Abraham round out a rotation of 9 with the fewest minutes, but still playing most nights.

Ross, Singare spot minutes with wjoever of Nowell and Abraham doesn't make the cut.

I'm probably wrong.
I mostly agree w the lineup but even more emphasis on diarra as being penciled in to start otherwise we've got a lineup of wings and very little actual ball handling.

Last year any of Newton, cam or castle could bring the ball up and initiate offense (with diarra able to off the bench). Id estimate right now that pool for this year looks something like diarra, mahaney, and hopefully nowell so you gotta think at least 2 of that group starts. Like you said, ideally Ball would be in there too but he's just not shown to be much of a passer yet

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From what we know about Hurley between the superstitions, his very risk adverse nature, and also being super aware of analytics (the more we blow people out the better it is for Kenpom?), I can’t see him being experimental about the lineups. Would be surprised to see it based on what we’ve seen. He’s way too big on structure and order.

My guess for the starters would be

Mahaney
Stewart
AK
Samson

And then one of Diarra or Ball for that final spot. With the main bench rotation as the other, Liam, and Reed if we do end up cutting it to 8 later in the season.
As you have already eliminated McNeeley from consideration as a starter makes me very happy that you will not be involved in the decision making.

There are quite a few players with quality skill sets and each can contribute something of quality. I highly doubt that our staff will have all questions answered early enough that experimenting won't be necessary in order to determine our best approach when games truly matter.

I still stand by my belief that without injuries clouding the issue, AK will be the only player to start every game.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
As you have already eliminated McNeeley from consideration as a starter makes me very happy that you will not be involved in the decision making.

There are quite a few players with quality skill sets and each can contribute something of quality. I highly doubt that our staff will have all questions answered early enough that experimenting won't be necessary in order to determine our best approach when games truly matter.

I still stand by my belief that without injuries clouding the issue, AK will be the only player to start every game.
Not my personal opinion on what should happen. Just my guess based on what Hurley has shown in the past to value experience.

Has nothing to do with what I personally think about Liam. Hurley just has never shown a tendency to experiment. We’re talking about a guy that doesn’t even experiment with the draws he wears on game day lol

awy

Reaction Score
he said multiple times recently that he will extend the rotation and play a more pressure style of defense. also he's an experimenter and flexible in adjusting strategy to personnel

Reaction Score
I don’t know who is going to start but I can’t imagine McNeeley not getting starters minutes. He’s the only guy on the roster that’s a projected lottery pick at least as of now.

Reaction Score
he said multiple times recently that he will extend the rotation and play a more pressure style of defense. also he's an experimenter and flexible in adjusting strategy to personnel
Each year can be unique. The past two teams had the star power of Sanogo/Andre/Hawk on one squad and Castle/Clingan/Newton/Cam on the other. Next year’s team is arguably the deepest of the three, at least on paper. But lacks the star power at the top end. It would be wise to do what Hurley has insinuated (as you said) and play to that strength. I think Hurley is going to shine even brighter as a in game coach next year.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The two questions I have regarding our rotations:

One is there will have to be times that we have two smaller guards on the court at the same time. Or ant least I think that will happen. And it’s not even the defense that worries me the most. It is the rebounding. How many big rebounds did Newton or Spencer grab last year. Usually those shots that come off the rim a bit further out like the middle of the lane. Cam was especially good at grabbing those. That is why I think Ball is so important. I really think if he would think rebounding and defense first with his length at 6’3” he could be a plus contributor in both areas. That gets him on the floor more with Diara or Mahaney IMO. That gives us more choices in mixing and matching all that 6’7”-6’8” talent we have.

Two if we end up starting Hass, Liam, Stewart, Alex and Taris, becomes ball handling.

I know McNeely is very talented but is he really able to come in with enough handle to be the two guard. I see him as a great wing just like I see Stewart. Yes they can handle the ball but will they be able to get us into our offensive sets. Last year and even the year before we had three or two players on the floor at all times that could do that. It sounds easy but imagine a quick 6’4” two guard ball hawking and pressuring Liam all the way up the court as he is forced to bring the ball up and get our offense set. Last year Newton, Cam or Castle could handle that role.

Not saying he can’t but I think he does come in as a prototypical wing player. Enough handle to run the floor effectively but not a primary ball handler. Perhaps in two or three years when he is in the nba he gets to that level but that’s a lot to ask of him out of the gate.

We probably have enough talent to find remedies to most of the issues we will face because we have the best coach in the business.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom