2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
UConn seeks to play positionless basketball where everyone can initiate and distribute. Castle surely was coached to do both. In that sense, he did play point guard with UConn and he did develop and demonstrate point guard skills. Hurley did a great job preparing him for the pros.
No he didn’t. It’s why NBA teams wondered if he could do it and why he himself said he was held back from showcasing that.

Hell, people on this very board wondered why he was so adamant about only playing PG in the NBA because he didn’t get a chance to demonstrate how great he was there.

awy

Reaction Score
the nba isn't all the same. but the teams who are at the forefront of reinventing the game and leading the direction of the league going forward sure are paying attention to what UConn is doing.

Reaction Score
No he didn’t. It’s why NBA teams wondered if he could do it and why he himself said he was held back from showcasing that.

Hell, people on this very board wondered why he was so adamant about only playing PG in the NBA because he didn’t get a chance to demonstrate how great he was there.
Castle played plenty of PG at UConn last year. Anyone not trying to kill Dan Hurley at every possible moment could see that

pj

Reaction Score

"It’s why NBA teams wondered if he could do it" -- NBA teams are always going to wonder. If you didn't do it they wonder if you can; if you did it in college they wonder if you'll be able to do it in the pros. And there are a myriad of game aspects they can wonder about.

The fact is that Hurley and Castle together assuaged more NBA concerns about Castle in one year than I can remember any other player achieving in such a short time. They proved he can defend, they proved he can be a good teammate, they proved his willingness to sacrifice for winning and to be a winner, they proved he could play point. About they only thing they didn't prove was the ability to shoot 3's at a high percentage, but that is something difficult to develop in one year of college.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Castle played plenty of PG at UConn last year. Anyone not trying to kill Dan Hurley at every possible moment could see that
I don’t know why we have to lie like this.

NBA scouts heading into the draft do not agree with this statement.

ESPN big board:

6. Stephon Castle | PG/SG | UConn

6-7 | Age: 19.5 | Previously ranked: 6

It has been difficult for NBA teams to schedule Castle on the workout circuit, so it remains to be seen exactly where that will land him on draft night. Teams on his trail will be closely monitoring whether he decides to open up his availability in the coming weeks. He has been most strongly connected to San Antonio, but if the Spurs go a different direction with their two first-round picks, there will be suitors elsewhere in the top 10, with a potentially strong fit in the Utah Jazz.
There's quite a bit of interest in Castle's versatility, perimeter defense and playmaking potential long-term. There are also some questions about the state of his jump shot, and to a lesser extent, whether he can play point guard in a full-time capacity. His role in UConn's title run has certainly helped bolster his draft stock to this point. -- Woo

Vecenie’s report:

6. Charlotte Hornets

Stephon Castle | 6-6 wing | 19 years old | Connecticut

The Hornets’ pick is seen as another inflection point, as teams around the league are unclear on the direction new head of basketball operations Jeff Peterson will take. Peterson was an assistant GM in Brooklyn and Atlanta, and his teams made varied picks during his time there.

Instead, I have the Hornets drafting Castle to be a strong fit between LaMelo Ball and Brandon Miller. My latest intel indicates Castle is likely to come off of the board somewhere between the No. 4 and No. 8 picks. He’s a tremendous defender with size and attributes that help teams win games. He got publicity at the NBA combine for saying he views himself as a point guard, but NBA teams largely classify him as a secondary playmaker who could grow into more on-ball reps in time.

awy

Reaction Score
that situation was partly driven by different information access because Steph's camp wanted to guide him to spurs. spurs seem to view him as a point guard and that was enough for him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am old enough to know the joke you are quoting and modern enough to say you might be better off retiring it to the dead file.
Nope. The joke still works with kemo sabbe. I know where the line is, sounds like you are still working on it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nope. The joke still works with kemo sabbe. I know where the line is, sounds like you are still working on it.
Nah, not nearly so pointed. Besides, i’d bet half this board has no clue what “kemo sabbe” refers to.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why we have to lie like this.

NBA scouts heading into the draft do not agree with this statement.

ESPN big board:

6. Stephon Castle | PG/SG | UConn

6-7 | Age: 19.5 | Previously ranked: 6

It has been difficult for NBA teams to schedule Castle on the workout circuit, so it remains to be seen exactly where that will land him on draft night. Teams on his trail will be closely monitoring whether he decides to open up his availability in the coming weeks. He has been most strongly connected to San Antonio, but if the Spurs go a different direction with their two first-round picks, there will be suitors elsewhere in the top 10, with a potentially strong fit in the Utah Jazz.
There's quite a bit of interest in Castle's versatility, perimeter defense and playmaking potential long-term. There are also some questions about the state of his jump shot, and to a lesser extent, whether he can play point guard in a full-time capacity. His role in UConn's title run has certainly helped bolster his draft stock to this point. -- Woo

Vecenie’s report:

6. Charlotte Hornets

Stephon Castle | 6-6 wing | 19 years old | Connecticut

The Hornets’ pick is seen as another inflection point, as teams around the league are unclear on the direction new head of basketball operations Jeff Peterson will take. Peterson was an assistant GM in Brooklyn and Atlanta, and his teams made varied picks during his time there.

Instead, I have the Hornets drafting Castle to be a strong fit between LaMelo Ball and Brandon Miller. My latest intel indicates Castle is likely to come off of the board somewhere between the No. 4 and No. 8 picks. He’s a tremendous defender with size and attributes that help teams win games. He got publicity at the NBA combine for saying he views himself as a point guard, but NBA teams largely classify him as a secondary playmaker who could grow into more on-ball reps in time.
I mean, one of the quotes you just posted says that there's questions on if he can play PG and literally in the next sentence where you decided to stop putting it in bold says his role at UConn helped bolster his draft stock. That role was a PG

Reaction Score
In general I kinda agree with you. If he went anywhere that allowed him to run the show the NBA would’ve been salivating at a 6’6 do it all PG with the IQ he has. Especially in a draft like this.

Not necessarily a team that lets him shoot more. But just a team that lets him show his ability to run a team and how he can make guys around him better.

But alas he can say he’s a champion and still be good enough to force his way back into his normal position going here. Because the kid was THAT great.

If Steph went somewhere where he had the keys, say he stayed home at UGA, he goes lottery because of his size and playmaking. With his range varying depending on whether a team thinks he will ever shoot or defend.

Reaction Score

I’m confused. Did he not go 4th overall?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If Steph went somewhere where he had the keys, say he stayed home at UGA, he goes lottery because of his size and playmaking. With his range varying depending on whether a team thinks he will ever shoot or defend.
I honestly don’t want to get to deep in this hole of where he would’ve went. I will say Anthony Edwards went #1 from there. Just as Cade went #1 from Oklahoma State.

Personally I think Castle is that level of talent. As I’ve been making clear since we got him.

Reaction Score
you talking to me? Do you have a point? What the hell are you talking about. Why are you insulting me about being a PC fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom