2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball | Page 16 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas to UConn Crystal Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last thought on Castle since this is a Thomas thread. He landed in the perfect place to launch his NBA career. HOF coach in Pop. HOF mentor in Chris Paul. And future HOF teammate in Wemby.. Steph has got his "stuff" together.

He's gonna be fine and make a ton of dough. Just getting started.

Reaction Score
Between the Andre Jackson nonsense last year and Castle this year, I’m just resigned to the fact that a certain contingent of our fan base just has no clue what “playing the point” means.
I hear you. Steph played plenty of PG in HS/AAU.. Was a secondary ball handler with exceptional passing skills in the most dominate/efficient offense in CBB in his only year in college. And was the #4 draft pick in an offense needing a PG for the long term with a transformational NBA talent in Wemby. He is a multi-positional and can play either guard position in the NBA based on his team's needs. He's in a good spot.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
No one wondered why he was adamant about playing his position in the NBA.

I am not on board with his opinion on this topic so I don't want to jump in "on his side" but I must disagree with you here, there were quite a few saying he was not a PG and he'd have to be a wing in the NBA.

I know that because I was conductor of the "Castle Has Always Been A PG" Train and I got disagreements from a decent amount of people.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Between the Andre Jackson nonsense last year and Castle this year, I’m just resigned to the fact that a certain contingent of our fan base just has no clue what “playing the point” means.
Anyone who thought Andre Jackson playing PG went well is telling on themselves about how little they actually understand about what they’re watching.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The boneyard talking about positionless basketball and how everyone is a PG:

pj

Reaction Score

Would you rather we talk about player versatility? Would you grant that Stephon demonstrated versatility in his time at UConn? And that versatility is valued by the NBA?

Reaction Score
You don’t know what you’re watching. It’s okay.
IMG_7644.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I dont know what’s a worse narrative. Everyone on our team plays PG or everyone needs to be able to shoot a 3 if they want to be somebody.

You’d think after watching guys like Kemba, Bazz, Boatright, Price, etc. we out of all fan bases would know there’s so much more into being a PG outside of being able to pass and initiate the offense every once in awhile.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thought Andre Jackson playing PG went well is telling on themselves about how little they actually understand about what they’re watching.
Do you mind elaborating on this? Not trying to be argumentative, but the ball moved because of Andre. Andre had the best vision, the best instincts, the best everything except maybe not the tightest handle. He dribbled a little high and loose. TNew spent so much more time driving to the lane when Andre was in the game.

Once DH figured out how to involve AJax on offense by being the primary ball handler/set up man, rather than sitting in the corner waiting for 3s and long rebounds (Xavier game comes to mind), UConn turned the corner and never looked back.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Do you mind elaborating on this? Not trying to be argumentative, but the ball moved because of Andre. Andre had the best vision, the best instincts, the best everything except maybe not the tightest handle. He dribbled a little high and loose. TNew spent so much more time driving to the lane when Andre was in the game.

Once DH figured out how to involve AJax on offense by being the primary ball handler/set up man, rather than sitting in the corner waiting for 3s and long rebounds (Xavier game comes to mind), UConn turned the corner and never looked back.
Here’s an article on what we did with Andre from the NYTimes.

We pretty much turned him to Draymond Green as a screen and passer and instead of having him sit in the corner taking 3s, we told him to cut to the dunker spot for easy layups.

Earlier in the season he did have a lot of the primary ballhandler duties and it took away from Newton. Once we found out how to play Andre off ball and let Newton be the primary guy again in the half court things seemed to click.

Being the best passer and playmaker does not always equal being the PG. Some of Andre’s best passes in the tournament came on off ball cuts and in transition. He wasn’t much of a setup the offense kind of guy. If he was he’d probably be looked at as Josh Giddey by the NBA but they never saw him as being close to a PG because that’s not what he did here.

Also, eye roll time here. Guess who said we should make that change to have Andre cut to the basket more during his struggles?

IMG_5906.jpeg

JLW

Reaction Score
Looking like Meleek is going to drag this out. His loss if he goes elsewhere. Loving this years team.

Reaction Score
It literally won us a championship but keep going. You're on an impressive streak of Idiocy
Uh, no. Andre Jackson handled the ball - at times - for that team, and they won a championship - absolutely does not even remotely imply "Andre Jackson playing PG won us a championship". That is weapons grade insanity.

What you guys are talking about here is best exemplified by the end of the first half against Gonzaga where Ajax salvaged a bad entry pass and kicked out to Karaban for three. But that exemplifies his ability, not the way the team played every possession on offense.

Reaction Score

Yeah, at times. Yes, he had vision. Yes he could handle the ball. He was not the PG, nor the primary ball handler.

Reaction Score
Uh, no. Andre Jackson handled the ball - at times - for that team, and they won a championship - absolutely does not even remotely imply "Andre Jackson playing PG won us a championship". That is weapons grade insanity.
Andre Jackson averaged 6.8 assists in the NCAA tournament en route to a championship, he did a little bit more than handle the ball at times

Reaction Score
Guys, the offense thrives on having multiple guys who can dribble shoot and pass. We don't have A POINT GUARD. We have multiple facilitators. Castle, Cam and Newton all played the role of facilitator, scorer, off ball mover.

I know it's a discussion board, but we're all on the same side here.

Any Meleek news?

Reaction Score

Positionless works on offense but players all need to guard and have the ability to defend specific positions and types of players.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I am not on board with his opinion on this topic so I don't want to jump in "on his side" but I must disagree with you here, there were quite a few saying he was not a PG and he'd have to be a wing in the NBA.

I know that because I was conductor of the "Castle Has Always Been A PG" Train and I got disagreements from a decent amount of people.
Dark Side Revenge Of The Fifth GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1