megan walker | Page 4 | The Boneyard

megan walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Her worst game was a 7 minute game against No. 1 Baylor that had Griner. Big difference between them and the AAC teams.

Bingo.

We're reaching new depths in terms of how little we're getting out of top recruits right off the bat.

Hopefully it doesn't become a trend, or used against us in recruiting.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On the latest Geno Show, Justine asks about possible X factors in March. Geno ponders it and then replies: (1) If Z starts making outside shots and (2) If Megan plays the way she played in a few games this year, we are going to be hard to beat. Meg has been inconsistent for some reason, and Geno is having trouble getting more consistency from her. He wants her to be ready for March.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not knowing the cause or reasoning but if this is one of Geno's lessons, this one could come back to haunt the program. Could!!
Great point! You should email Geno to let him know that!

JS

Reaction Score
Would everyone kindly remember the Boneyard rule against transfer speculation.

There have been a few people who've made this thread very high maintenance because of their persistence in dropping comments that violate this rule.

I don't like even having to bring this up, but we have some short-term posters, especially, who seem not to have bothered to read the rules, pinned at the top of the board.

One such actor, having learned nothing from about 10 consecutive post deletions, has been invited to pursue his agenda elsewhere. We don't have time to waste on such obstinateness.

Thanks, as always, for your cooperation.

Reaction Score
Would everyone kindly remember the Boneyard rule about transfer speculation.

There have been a few people who've made this thread very high maintenance because of their persistence in dropping comments that violate this rule.

One such actor, having learned nothing from about 10 consecutive post deletions, has been invited to pursue his agenda elsewhere. We don't have time to waste on such obstinateness.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Thank you for doing your job. This seemingly never-ending harping about how Geno handles Megan or whoever doesn't play is tedious. How many times does this tune have to get replayed? Maybe someone should just start a "Geno doesn't know how to coach" thread for all the experts to whine on. Jeez!

Reaction Score
I remember last summer when everyone was speculating that this could be the most talented group of UCONN players ever and how playing time would be difficult to find. I can also remember games last year when Geno said he would really like to 'sit' players who were not playing up to his standard, but he could not. This year he can. I think he needs to give the starters as much playing time together, because of injuries that have interfered with their chemistry and because of a tendency of the starters to lose intensity in the second half. As in the recent past, he needs a Kiah Stokes or a Gabby Williams to come in and provide a spark and provide a rest for each of the starters. This year it is Z. He is spending his time on molding her into the sixth player. I see Geno working very hard with this team, through shin splints, ankle injuries, hip injuries, to teach them how to play excellent ball in every game.

Unlike some others, I never expected the freshmen to play much this year, not with the return of the Core Four and the addition of Azura and Batouly. I'm sure that the freshmen will learn from the excellence of the starters and be encouraged by the progress Crystal has made and be ready next year.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t look good. He’s always been hard on the freshmen but he REALLY seems to have it out for Megan Walker.

I think with Coach Auriemma it is the exact opposite. He wants to get the best out of Walker's talent by any means possible. A player wasting a God given gift and not reaching their full potential is just about the worst thing a coach can see. Coach Auriemma cares so much for Walker that he will not allow her to just coast and get by on her ability like some other coaches might. He is trying to break whatever bad habit Walker has now as a freshman so she can realize her full greatness later.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Everybody should appreciate the fact that at UCONN, just about the worst that could ever happen to a frosh is NOT to get harped on constantly by Geno. A frosh should actually be happy--be ecstatic even--if Geno is on your case and sending you messages, as that means he cares enough about your development as a player to be bothered. Every great player in UCONN history has experienced the "Geno treatment" in one form or another.

If I remember correctly, KLS went through a pretty prolonged low period in her first year, and Stewie provided support. I hope KLS (and other upper classmen) is doing the same to help MW in this difficult period.

Reaction Score
Hey, guy...have a look at the replay of the ND game that went overtime or was it overtimes...And watch freshman Tuck making a superwoman-like effort to do all she could to virtually singlehandedly win the game...

Yes, there was the Stewie collapse; Geno's harsh public remarks...she's going to have to work it out by herself (paraphrase) and my thought and Moriah's dad's remark that she was ready to fully contribute in her freshman year

Well, it all worked out didn't it.

And that's the essence of the argument...Is the fact that the group won 4 Natty's
erase all the discomfort that we felt during that season and which some of us are fretting about again, this season.

And my answer is: I just don't know.
But I'm not willing, never have, to give Geno a "get out of jail free" card.
I am a great admirer; huge, but that doesn't turn my mind off in a critical sense.

For example; the razzing of Pheesa, during the early season might, just might have been the reason for her modest swoon and seeming diminution of confidence (happily dissipating as the season unfolds). She also seemed just a little less happy out there; especially earlier. Maybe she needed a kinder, gentler approach?

We have a great chance for a 5th Natty in 6 attempts, but is winning everything?

Again, I just don't know.

It is truly amazing to me that after 11 national titles, people still think they know more than Geno & company about how to handle the playing time of players that they (the posters) have had virtually no contact with, beyond watching them on tv or sometimes from a seat in the arena! Geno has seen these girls every day and knows exactly what they are capable of and is simply not going to settle for less! It is a tough decision, but I am going to have to go with Geno on this one! So glad we have a coach who sticks to his guns and does not compromise on his expectations of excellence, hard work, effort, and commitment to the team!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Perhaps you should talk to past players such as Bascom, Rizzotti, Lobo, Taurasi, Lou and others about how he did the same exact things to them and worse. Anyone who thinks or says he is pushing present or future players away from UConn hasn't been a Husky fan for very long. The more he sees in a player, the harder he pushes. As Lobo once said on the air, it took her 2 years to stop hating Auriemma. Now look.
upload_2018-2-22_6-52-44.png

even Geno knows this... so the pickings become slim as he mentioned recently

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe they hit Bourbon Street a little too hard???? :rolleyes:
You may be kidding, but the thought has occurred to me that something bad occurred outside of practice, particularly since both MW & Mikayla were benched at the same time. Hard to believe that after 26 games, they both decided independently to tank in practice.

Reaction Score
Look; let's face it. As UConn fans, we're spoiled. Now that the #1 HS recruit from last year isn't playing as much as WE'D like her to play, WE'RE afraid that last year might happen again, and we might just lose a game.
Relax, folks. This isn't Geno's first rodeo. Megan Walker's light will come on, just as it has for almost every recruit that Geno has brought in.

Reaction Score
Bingo.

We're reaching new depths in terms of how little we're getting out of top recruits right off the bat.

Hopefully it doesn't become a trend, or used against us in recruiting.

Certainly is different in the men's game. The boys come in and dominant or come in and contribute

Reaction Score
On the latest Geno Show, Justine asks about possible X factors in March. Geno ponders it and then replies: (1) If Z starts making outside shots and (2) If Megan plays the way she played in a few games this year, we are going to be hard to beat. Meg has been inconsistent for some reason, and Geno is having trouble getting more consistency from her. He wants her to be ready for March.

Good post. I think as long as the starting six play very good we win. We don't need Megan walker to win a championship. If we force turnovers, hit threes, and play A level defense we win. Now if we get in foul trouble or injury then yes it would be great if we can count on megan. Honestly I trust Kyla as 7th man. It's really a shame we do not have a sub that's a guard that Geno can trust. That's the fatal flaw.

Reaction Score
Can anyone recall a high school #1 player coming into UConn and contributing so little in her freshman year? I can't. There were games in which a #1 didn't play well, or stretches in which one didn't play well. Breanna Stewart was actually not started in one game. But I can't recall any former HS #1 struggling like this at UConn. Ever.

It's very troubling. Kiah Stokes talked about transferring after her freshman year. But she didn't come in as the top player in the country. KML struggled at times. But she also contributed in a big way.

I really hope the off-season sees a renewed enthusiasm and commitment. But this is not a healthy situation at this point.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is a reason why UConn and Geno are where they are in WCBB and a reason why every other coach and team cant compete with them...and your seeing it this season. Geno is tuff and wont tolerate anything he doesnt like that players do. We have no idea why the MW and MC are sitting. It may not be practice it may be attitudes. Geno is teaching them the right way to think and the right way to play. Thats his job. They both can be AA's at UConn if they learn from this experience.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
With all of the talk we have heard from the core 4 about helping the underclass develop, I have to believe they are going to be consoling voices of moderation for Megan and Mikayla. Lou and Pheesa and Gabby have all sat the pine during their early years. They know the drill and I believe their interactions at this time will help ease the pain and mitigate the frustration for these two ladies who are so important to the future.

I have known several outstanding athletes for whom it was so easy to be the best and dominate every game during their youth, but for some reason are stumped when they move to a level where it takes more than talent to excel. For them it is very frustrating and confusing. They really don't understand why they are not dominating. They are putting more effort in then they have ever in their past and not getting better. Last year Crystal went through that phase. When the light comes on they will be fine. Until then, they will deal with frustration and confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Excerpt from the Courant article. Something maybe more than basketball going on with Walker / Coombs ? I hope not

Katie Lou Samuelson, Possible Player Of The Year, Has Just One Thing On Her Mind

Everyone In, Except …
Freshman guards Megan Walker and Mikayla Coombs were the only players who did not enter the game.

“Yeah, I'm not even going to waste my time talking about them,” Auriemma said.

Off the bench, Azura Stevens played 21 minutes, Molly Bent 11, Kyla Irwin 16, Batouly Camara seven and Lexi Gordon four.

Walker was coming off a pretty good performance — 10 points and six rebounds in 18 minutes against Temple. Coombs played 10 minutes against Temple, scoring three points.

Auriemma was asked if the decision was simply a function of the way they practiced leading up to the game but he did not offer any thoughts.

Reaction Score
That's more habits than you find at a convent. :oops:
Not really, Sister Theresa would play me in pool once a week and I cant lie about it. She would win once in a while! Memere sat with all the nuns 7 days a week in church,lol.

Reaction Score
Would everyone kindly remember the Boneyard rule against transfer speculation.

I don't like even having to bring this up, but we have some short-term posters, especially, who seem not to have bothered to read the rules, pinned at the top of the board.

Thanks, as always, for your cooperation.
Classy as always!

Reaction Score
Excerpt from the Courant article. Something maybe more than basketball going on with Walker / Coombs ? I hope not

Everyone In, Except …
Freshman guards Megan Walker and Mikayla Coombs were the only players who did not enter the game.

“Yeah, I'm not even going to waste my time talking about them,” Auriemma said.

Ugh.....comments like this make me cringe. Somethings are better
left unsaid. I know it’s Geno’s schtick; but now he’s coming off as downright mean. No need to disparage young women like this regardless of what’s going on behind the scenes.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Can anyone recall a high school #1 player coming into UConn and contributing so little in her freshman year? I can't. There were games in which a #1 didn't play well, or stretches in which one didn't play well. Breanna Stewart was actually not started in one game. But I can't recall any former HS #1 struggling like this at UConn. Ever.

It's very troubling. Kiah Stokes talked about transferring after her freshman year. But she didn't come in as the top player in the country. KML struggled at times. But she also contributed in a big way.

I really hope the off-season sees a renewed enthusiasm and commitment. But this is not a healthy situation at this point.
Could be because she is on a team that has 5 potential AAs on the court in front of her, 6 if you think like a lot of BYers. Has that ever happened to any other former #1 HS player???? But wait, because of her HS ranking she is entitled to her playing time, right? :rolleyes:
This is not aimed directly at you @Fairfield Fan just my thoughts concerning this freshmen class.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I know she's probably frustrated and not happy but every time they showed her on camera she seemed to be sulking. It's the opposite of say how Kyla is handling limited minutes. Would look better if she was a bit more vocal on the pine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom