megan walker | Page 3 | The Boneyard

megan walker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Crystal played in 31 out of 37 games last year. Also averaging 24 minutes a game. Rarely did Crystal not play. Last year most of the questions about Crystal was her play on the court, not whether she was going to get any playing time at all.

Megan has played 23 of 27 games, but is only averaging 16 minutes a game. Mikayla has played 21 out of 27 games and only averaging 7 minutes a game.

What about Crystal last year. Where you equally as concerned? How about when he benched Stewie in her freshman year, where you so concerned then? Why are so many people fretting? Why are so many considering Geno's methods suddenly are too extreme. Geno warned us right from the start that this group of freshmen were behind other years in getting it. Why are so many suddenly surprised that he was so right?

Reaction Score
LOL. I really, really enjoy a good conversation where both sides are polarized. But you're one of the many on this board I really, really hate disagreeing with.

It's that passive/aggressive nature of mine that keeps folks on their toes.............you should take many of my rantings as simply food for thought...........

Reaction Score
What about Crystal last year. Where you equally as concerned? How about when he benched Stewie in her freshman year, where you so concerned then? Why are so many people fretting? Why are so many considering Geno's methods are suddenly too extreme. Geno warned us right from the start that this group of freshmen were behind other years in getting it. Why are so many suddenly surprised that he was so right?
Because many here are playing checkers while Geno (and staff) are playing chess : - )

Reaction Score
I feel like the major difference with MW and other highly rated recruits is that it seems like she has had very minimal impact on this season. Excluding the UCLA game, and 4th qtr of the ND game, she has been pretty absent.

Yes Stewie was benched but she started her career scoring more points in her first 10 games than any other freshman ever. Gabby was benched one game, but still got minutes as a very raw guard playing in the post. Kia started from game 3 and earned minutes by working hard, playing d, and finishing with contact. Lou had stretches where she was benched for playing passive on the perimeter, but she played her way into the starting lineup and really blossomed tournament time. Same with Jefferson. Up and down season but her growth was a big factor down the stretch of the NCAA tournament. Dangerfield had an outburst against Baylor, was very up and down, but earned minutes and produced when on the court (not always consistent but she always showed flashes). KML showed up to UConn and was a terror for opponents with her sharp shooting.

My observation is that of the many highly rated recruits that have rolled through in the past few years- each has made contributions as a freshman. It’s normal to lack consistency, but to me it’s alarming that MW hasn’t been able to put together any string of good practices, games etc. It’s just unusual to see a top recruit struggle like this but that doesn’t mean that she isn’t very talented.

She still has the opportunity to be a major factor down the stretch. I hope she puts things together and grows to be a major player over the remainder of her UCONN career. You can see the talent is there, but when I watch it just looks like she is trying so hard not to make a mistake.

I’m really rooting for her to get over the hump.

Reaction Score
We can speculate but only the folks inside the team know. It may come back to bite us at some point down the road but it is pretty clear that Geno is good with that. He has pillars that his program is built on & those are uncompromisable (is that a word?)

Reaction Score
I feel like the major difference with MW and other highly rated recruits is that it seems like she has had very minimal impact on this season.

In 2012-13 I distinctly recall being very worried that the supposedly blockbuster recruiting class amounted to a struggling Stewie and no-shows MoJeff and Tuck.

Mo & Tuck did little notable that regular season.

Reaction Score
There could be a myriad of reasons including the ones you mention. Let's all take a guess, maybe she got caught reading bonehead comments on The Boneyard? ;)

You clearly sound upset! No offense but in your case you should take it to the top! geno.auriemma or 860-486-4756
Please post what you get as Geno is a little bit busy this time of year to respond if we all were to inquire....:rolleyes:

This is what happens when you have a passionate fan base like ours. Everything matters to us. Is it rational? Of course not but this is what we do. We are UCONN.
No point in getting perturbed.
We all love Geno but we don’t always agree with his decisions. Of course I’m pissed off that Megan’s on the bench for most of every game.
This is what passionate fan bases do.

Reaction Score
I always think it's interesting that posters feel that Geno should lower his standards for this group of players. I would think when a recruit visits it is made very clear to them that you earn your playing time at UConn. I would bet that both the coaching staff and the players send this message. It is true he has only won 11 titles using his philosophies so his style may be flawed. Geno is willing to live with the consequences of his decisions. I think we should do the same.

Reaction Score
I am also concerned about Megan et al., though I am hoping that I am entirely wrong and she comes back and has a big sophomore leap. I don't mind having egg on my face after taking a bearish line on a player or the quality of the team for any given year. It's one of the benefits of being a glass-half-empty fan - you get to be pleasantly surprised when things work out. :D

If anything, this thread seems to be evidence in favor of keeping game threads, IMO. Banning game threads doesn't mean that people no longer want to talk about heated issues in the forum. Might as well concentrate more of those thoughts in the logical place. And the chat is friendly enough when times are well, but I'm sure it would get quite heated indeed given the right circumstances. The chat moves problems out of sight, but not out of mind. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Perhaps you should talk to past player such as Bascom, Rizzotti, Lobo, Taurasi, Lou and others about how he did the same exact things to them and worse. Anyone who thinks or says he is pushing present or future players away from UConn hasn't been a Husky fan for very long. The more he sees in a player, the harder he pushes. As Lobo once said on the air, it took her 2 years to stop hating Auriemma. Now look.

Bingo!!! Your comment said everything that needs to be said about Megan not playing. Megan still has a ways to go. She hasn't been here a year yet. She's going down a rocky path that many others have traveled before her. Those that didn't get frustrated and quit, all turned out ok. A year from now, Walker will realize why Geno did what he did. He knows where she needs to be, and will continue to push her until she gets there.

That's why she came here. Geno has said many times that if he didn't push his players to the max, he would fail them as a coach. That is the agreement Geno has with all of his players, to bring out the very best they have in them.

Look at the player Lou is now versus what she was 3 years ago. If Geno had not pushed her and demanded excellence, would she be playing at the level she is today? I think not. Sometimes fans get emotional, and forget that this is not Geno's first rodeo. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Some kids can get where they need to be without Geno's "tough love", others can't. Either way, It's Geno's duty and responsibility to get them there. He can't yield to, or be persuaded by outside sentiments or forces. We also don't know about those private conversations Geno has with a player in his office from time to time, to explain and reinforce the dynamics of the program.

Megan will be OK. Yes, it hard for us to watch her go through this, but we'll all enjoy watching the finished product once Geno and Shea has applied their finishing polish. She going down a road that ALL the greats in UConn lore have traveled. It's almost like a rite of passage. She's tougher than some give her credit for. Megan is going to play and play well between now and the end of the season, but she's got to get to that place first!! Geno's is running out of time. Only two games left. Everyone knows Geno is going to need her. She's got to be ready. Let's all be there, and root like crazy for her when she emerges on the other end. Great post Jordy!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Bascom graduated in 91, Lobo 95.....over 20 years have past. Players and times have changed.....Geno has had unprecedented success; no one is questioning that, but his handling of this freshman class has been troubling IMO.

In 2012-13 I distinctly recall being very worried that the supposedly blockbuster recruiting class amounted to a struggling Stewie and no-shows MoJeff and Tuck.

Mo & Tuck did little notable that regular season.

Hey, guy...have a look at the replay of the ND game that went overtime or was it overtimes...And watch freshman Tuck making a superwoman-like effort to do all she could to virtually singlehandedly win the game...

Yes, there was the Stewie collapse; Geno's harsh public remarks...she's going to have to work it out by herself (paraphrase) and my thought and Moriah's dad's remark that she was ready to fully contribute in her freshman year

Well, it all worked out didn't it.

And that's the essence of the argument...Is the fact that the group won 4 Natty's
erase all the discomfort that we felt during that season and which some of us are fretting about again, this season.

And my answer is: I just don't know.
But I'm not willing, never have, to give Geno a "get out of jail free" card.
I am a great admirer; huge, but that doesn't turn my mind off in a critical sense.

For example; the razzing of Pheesa, during the early season might, just might have been the reason for her modest swoon and seeming diminution of confidence (happily dissipating as the season unfolds). She also seemed just a little less happy out there; especially earlier. Maybe she needed a kinder, gentler approach?

We have a great chance for a 5th Natty in 6 attempts, but is winning everything?

Again, I just don't know.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Given the way Geno answered Justine's question, it was crystal clear that he didn't want to state the reason for MW's benching on TV, but the reason had nothing whatsoever to do with health issues. There are then only two possible explanations: (1) lack of effort/motivation, or (2) lack of attention to or not following instructions from the coaching staff.

For a player of MW's caliber playing on a team of UCONN's pedigree at this time of the season, I refuse to believe (1) could possibly be the reason. That leaves (2) and, if true, is quite serious, especially when we are heading to a critical stretch of the season.

Frankly, I was somewhat startled (and distressed) by the way Geno responded to Justine. Clearly, the issues (whatever they were) surrounding MW, which had been hanging around all season, seemed to be persisting. This team may just be able to scrape by without significant contributions from MW this season if all 5+1 starters stay healthy, but would face enormous challenges next season if MW is still not a central cog in the wheel.

Reaction Score
Bingo!!! Your comment said everything that needs to be said about Megan not playing. Megan still has a ways to go. She hasn't been here a year yet. She's going down a rocky path that many others have traveled before her. Those that didn't get frustrated and quit, all turned out ok. A year from now, Walker will realize why Geno did what he did. He knows where she needs to be, and will continue to push her until she gets there.

That's why she came here. Geno has said many times that if he didn't push his players to the max, he would fail them as a coach. That is the agreement Geno has with all of his players, to bring out the very best they have in them.

Look at the player Lou is now versus what she was 3 years ago. If Geno had not pushed her and demanded excellence, would she be playing st the level she is today? Sometimes fans get emotional, and forget that this is not Geno's first rodeo. He knows exactly what he's doing.

We also don't know about those private conversations Geno has with a player in his office from time to time, to explain and reinforce the dynamics of the program. Megan will be ok. She's tougher than some give her credit for. Megan is going to play and play well between now and the end of the season.
I wouldn't use Lou as an example. She eventually replaced KML in the starting line up her freshman year, and was really starting to light it up in the second half of the season. I think a big part of it comes down to body language. Lexi plays two minutes a game and is seen cheering for her teammates and looking in to the game. Some of the other freshmen look like they'd rather be anywhere else than at the game.

Reaction Score
Maybe because she doen't have any clue what her role is or or how many minutes she will play?
Maybe when as the HSNPOY she was told she would play....
Stewie wasn't even told she would play, and in a late game against Baylor played all of 7 minutes her freshman year, and Megan isn't anywhere near Stewie.

Reaction Score
Stewie wasn't even told she would play, and in a late game against Baylor played all of 7 minutes her freshman year, and Megan isn't anywhere near Stewie.
Her worst game was a 7 minute game against No. 1 Baylor that had Griner. Big difference between them and the AAC teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom