megan walker | Page 5 | The Boneyard

megan walker

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ugh.....comments like this make me cringe. Somethings are better
left unsaid. I know it’s Geno’s schtick; but now he’s coming off as downright mean. No need to disparage young women like this regardless of what’s going on behind the scenes.
There's another way to interpret Geno's comments. I'm becoming more convinced this was not about practice. MW & Mikayla did something very wrong. Geno is willing to take the heat, because he does not want additional scrutiny on the players, who are receiving a healthy dose of tough love.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Poor Raoul. He seems so unhappy.

stock-photo-a-funny-one-cartoon-crocodile-who-cries-crocodile-tears-3240830.jpg

Reaction Score
I think you got this all wrong! Geno never promises anyone playing time. They should know what they are getting into when they decide to come to U Conn as it has happened to all the greats who were here. Yet especially some of the really good players think this ain't going to ever happen to me. They have never, ever faced being sat down and not playing. They are used to being the pampered star and at the HS level always excel. Geno is hardest on the best players because he can see what they can and should be. Look at KLS also #1 in her class and how she became an AA as sophomore and probably the best all around player in the country as a junior. You never, ever see her pouting when she's hurt and I'm sure extremely disappointed that she can't play. She's there cheering on her teammates. MW sits there with a very serious, upset face, which will only bury her deeper and / or longer.
Of course U Conn will miss out on her talents, skills & abilities but the system & culture is much more important than ANY player. Essentially it's called a tough love approach. They are not into a pampering, pleading style which ultimately means the player themselves loses out because they will not become what they can be.
It's MW's choice but it's total on Geno's terms. Take it or leave it!
Sorry if this sounds harsh and pointed but it is what it is, and it's not for everyone.
The 11 NC's prove this works! Geno too can occasionally be wrong about some things but this is essential to what's built U Conn wbb to not only the premiere program in wcb but in all of sports maybe all time.
While of course you have the right to express anything you wish here or elsewhere, I'd suggest you accept this is the way it is here and just as MW has choices so do you! This is not meant as any sort of threat or put down, just the realities. Again, it doesn't work for everyone and doesn't have to!
Bronx23
Well thanks for acknowledging that I have a right to express my opinion.
You know whats more important than 12 NC? How you treat other human beings.
I believe that's more important.
I have posted on this topic all season.
It would be hard to find in the 33 years that Geno has been here, a player that has been more "Publicly" treated than MW.
I have no problem with in house comments , treatment etc. The public negative comments, benchings ( with no explanations) are out of line.

Reaction Score
It's ultimately MW's call if she will get on board with the program and the culture.
This. She's got to buy in, and that's entirely on her. As this pattern persists, my suspicion is that it's more than just bad some practices. She may be fighting the system in some way, and I would imagine that Geno starting to get annoyed. But it's not too late to end the season as a real contributor. That's something both Megan and the team really needs, We've all seen her incredible skill set and the impact she can have in games. I believe she can and will become a great Husky.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a very LONG time husky fan, I find myself tired of big egos , especially at this stage of my life. As far as "body language ", where was the positive coaching "body language " last season going into the FF ? IMHO , the 2018 NC rests solely on one persons shoulders. Why ? Only one coach has 6 possible AA candidates . There are no excuses this year Geno . The outcome rest solely on you. You do the recruiting, run the practices, substitute the players. Just the way it is !

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in another thread, my sense from the Temple game was that every time I looked at Megan playing defense her hands were down. The coaches harp on that on defense, hands up. I was not focusing on Coombs so I have no idea how she was doing. I think Geno will play Molly and Kyla ahead of someone like Megan. They are not as naturally talented and may make more goofs with the ball, but they are doing their best to follow instructions and play to the best of their ability. At age 69 I ran into an old high school friend who was a professional golfer for a number of years, and he is changing my whole swing. He tells me what to do and I try, but after a year maybe about 1 in 5 swings comes out right. Practice, practice, practice until it in ingrained, you don't have to think about it. Megan is told keep your hands up, she goes in the game, she did not do that in High School, she forgets. Do it over and over, then repeat it. Eventually you learn. Hopefully she understands Geno wants her to be the best she can be. It may happen in the next few weeks, or it may take a whole summer of just practicing defense. Or it may be she missed curfew on Bourbon Street and I don't know what I am talking about. One final thought, there are number ones like Di, Maya, Stewie, Candace Parker, EDD, who everyone knows are in a class by themselves. Most years there are number ones who are great, but not at that level. I don't think people put anyone from the class of 17, 18, or 19 at that level.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I mentioned in another thread, my sense from the Temple game was that every time I looked at Megan playing defense her hands were down. The coaches harp on that on defense, hands up. I was not focusing on Coombs so I have no idea how she was doing. I think Geno will play Molly and Kyla ahead of someone like Megan. They are not as naturally talented and may make more goofs with the ball, but they are doing their best to follow instructions and play to the best of their ability. At age 69 I ran into an old high school friend who was a professional golfer for a number of years, and he is changing my whole swing. He tells me what to do and I try, but after a year maybe about 1 in 5 swings comes out right. Practice, practice, practice until it in ingrained, you don't have to think about it. Megan is told keep your hands up, she goes in the game, she did not do that in High School, she forgets. Do it over and over, then repeat it. Eventually you learn. Hopefully she understands Geno wants her to be the best she can be. It may happen in the next few weeks, or it may take a whole summer of just practicing defense. Or it may be she missed curfew on Bourbon Street and I don't know what I am talking about. One final thought, there are number ones like Di, Maya, Stewie, Candace Parker, EDD, who everyone knows are in a class by themselves. Most years there are number ones who are great, but not at that level. I don't think people put anyone from the class of 17, 18, or 19 at that level.
While I agree with your analysis about MW's defense, I'm not sure this is about their play on the court, either in games or in practice. There's something else happening here that lead to both freshmen being benched in the same game, and we will probably never know what it was about.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There's another way to interpret Geno's comments. I'm becoming more convinced this was not about practice. MW & Mikayla did something very wrong. Geno is willing to take the heat, because he does not want additional scrutiny on the players, who are receiving a healthy dose of tough love.
We may be off base, but that's kinda the feeling I'm getting too. Well probably not "very wrong". I think "very wrong" and you're not on the trip (or the team).

Hopefully whatever it was it's done and over and they can all move on. Next game on Sat., we'll see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We may be off base, but that's kinda the feeling I'm getting too. Well probably not "very wrong". I think "very wrong" and you're not on the trip (or the team).

Hopefully whatever it was it's done and over and they can all move on. Next game on Sat., we'll see.
Agreed. I too hope to see them both on the court in the SMU game, but I have this growing concern that they may not play then either. I hate speculation, but I can't seem to avoid it here. What if they did something after they left CT? I guess you could send them back home, but it's easier to just keep them with the team and sit them down.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
There doesn't seem to be

IDK. Really only Geno and the staff know all the answers. I would guess that if Geno thought she could help, she would be out there. In fairness, PT is earned. When she has earned the time she hasn't been that great. The summer will do her good. She will know how and what to work on and should improve greatly.

I see that you replied to my post, but, I am curious, why did my post disappear from this thread. Did I offend someone or everyone.

Take it to PM. I suggest Biff on this one. -- JS

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well thanks for acknowledging that I have a right to express my opinion.
You know whats more important than 12 NC? How you treat other human beings.
I believe that's more important.
I have posted on this topic all season.
It would be hard to find in the 33 years that Geno has been here, a player that has been more "Publicly" treated than MW.
I have no problem with in house comments , treatment etc. The public negative comments, benchings ( with no explanations) are out of line.
Sveta? And she was a 3 time AA. Geno's mom even got on him for the way he treated her. Worked out pretty well.

These kids aren't near as fragile as some of the adults here on the BY.

Reaction Score
I hope Megan realizes two very important things:
  1. It's not how fast you climb, it's how high; and
  2. The team concept at UCONN isn't conducive to fast climbing.
I've seen nothing to indicate a limitation on how high Megan can go. It just depends on how much she wants to invest in herself...

PS Geno is always the hardest on his favorites...

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why is everyone such a chicken little??? The sky's not falling... The reason she didn't play is between her and the coaches... can't anyone just relax on this board??

Well, there are 4 of us anyway.

Reaction Score
  • No T word, but, maybe the Mods have an imagination.

Please refer to the Boneyard Rules Page. They said "Please". Thank you.

• Please don't post on the board about a moderator action (or inaction) with which you have an issue. Please PM us and we'll be glad to address any questions or concerns you might have. If your post gets deleted and you think it's fine, it's possible you were responding to a post that was deleted and if you quoted it, your post might be deleted too.

Reaction Score
For example; the razzing of Pheesa, during the early season might, just might have been the reason for her modest swoon and seeming diminution of confidence (happily dissipating as the season unfolds). She also seemed just a little less happy out there; especially earlier. Maybe she needed a kinder, gentler approach?

Again, I just don't know.
In non-Euclidian situations, e.g., life, the shortest path between two points isn't a straight line. Sometimes hitting a target requites spiraling in rather than taking direct aim.

And I can assure you, I just don't know either.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I know she's probably frustrated and not happy but every time they showed her on camera she seemed to be sulking. It's the opposite of say how Kyla is handling limited minutes. Would look better if she was a bit more vocal on the pine
Can't argue with the lack of enthusiasm she displays, at least from what they show us. Cameramen/women tend to focus on what they're told to. As to Kyla - the differences in potential are vast between her and Walker and yes we don't dole out minutes solely on potential.. It's tough for me to watch Irwin and Bent, knowing how hard they try and the constant enthusiasm they both show on the bench.

Reaction Score
Sveta? And she was a 3 time AA. Geno's mom even got on him for the way he treated her. Worked out pretty well.

These kids aren't near as fragile as some of the adults here on the BY.
Sveta was never benched for an entire game. She played in every Uconn game until her injury her senior year.

Reaction Score
There doesn't seem to be

IDK. Really only Geno and the staff know all the answers. I would guess that if Geno thought she could help, she would be out there. In fairness, PT is earned. When she has earned the time she hasn't been that great. The summer will do her good. She will know how and what to work on and should improve greatly.
Have to question how this helps the team. No matter how you evaluate Walker's in game performance, she has outperformed all other bench players excluding Z and has more upside and
Crystal played in 31 out of 37 games last year. Also averaging 24 minutes a game. Rarely did Crystal not play. Last year most of the questions about Crystal was her play on the court, not whether she was going to get any playing time at all.

Megan has played 23 of 27 games, but is only averaging 16 minutes a game. Mikayla has played 21 out of 27 games and only averaging 7 minutes a game.

What about Crystal last year. Where you equally as concerned? How about when he benched Stewie in her freshman year, where you so concerned then? Why are so many people fretting? Why are so many considering Geno's methods suddenly are too extreme. Geno warned us right from the start that this group of freshmen were behind other years in getting it. Why are so many suddenly surprised that he was so right?
Not sure your comparison is valid. All the players you noted played consistent minutes, typically at least a third or half the game. They may have been benched, but this was rare. No better coach in nation but there is a fine line between teaching a lesson and embarrassing a player. Geno has proven that he doesn't care and in past has used public embarrassment as a positive tool. My question is when does this stop being positive. Even in the Geno Show, he noted that while he normally knows how to push all the right buttons, sometimes he has made mistakes.

Reaction Score
I feel like the major difference with MW and other highly rated recruits is that it seems like she has had very minimal impact on this season. Excluding the UCLA game, and 4th qtr of the ND game, she has been pretty absent.

Yes Stewie was benched but she started her career scoring more points in her first 10 games than any other freshman ever. Gabby was benched one game, but still got minutes as a very raw guard playing in the post. Kia started from game 3 and earned minutes by working hard, playing d, and finishing with contact. Lou had stretches where she was benched for playing passive on the perimeter, but she played her way into the starting lineup and really blossomed tournament time. Same with Jefferson. Up and down season but her growth was a big factor down the stretch of the NCAA tournament. Dangerfield had an outburst against Baylor, was very up and down, but earned minutes and produced when on the court (not always consistent but she always showed flashes). KML showed up to UConn and was a terror for opponents with her sharp shooting.

My observation is that of the many highly rated recruits that have rolled through in the past few years- each has made contributions as a freshman. It’s normal to lack consistency, but to me it’s alarming that MW hasn’t been able to put together any string of good practices, games etc. It’s just unusual to see a top recruit struggle like this but that doesn’t mean that she isn’t very talented.

She still has the opportunity to be a major factor down the stretch. I hope she puts things together and grows to be a major player over the remainder of her UCONN career. You can see the talent is there, but when I watch it just looks like she is trying so hard not to make a mistake.

I’m really rooting for her to get over the hump.

You are absolutely correct, that Megan not playing is nowhere near the same as the other players you mention. This is an entirely different situation, which I think is alarming. I don't see Walker , or Coombs, having made any kind of progress this season. Even so, when they are on the court it's clear, at least to me, why they were such highly regarded recruits. The many here shrugging it off as, "it's what all the freshman go through at UConn", I think are not really paying attention. It's different with them, and it's not good. Your comment about Megan trying hard not to make a mistake is spot on, and certainly not the way you want a talented player performing. I find it painful to watch. It really doesn't matter whether it's the players or coaches( I know, never blame the coaches), or both to blame at this point. As the old saying goes, "something's got to give". Thanks for your insights.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno was a lot tougher on Tina Charles and it didn't stop after Tina's freshman year. Walker hasn't even approached Tina Territory. How 'bout what Geno used to say about Wilnett Crocket during her freshman year? She didn't deserve to wear a UConn uniform. Remember that one?

Chris Dailey tells an interesting story about Tina's mom. Angela asked the coaches what she could do to support the message they were sending her daughter. She may not have liked hearing Geno talk about Tina publicly but she knew ultimately it would help her kid get the most out of her immense talent.

I believe Wilnett wanted to return to California during her freshman year and her parents wouldn't allow it. Those same parents, lovely people btw, could not stop talking about how much their daughter had grown and matured by Senior Night in 2006.

These kids tend to be a lot tougher than the majority of fans on this board. Maybe there's a lot of projection going on here too.

Geno hasn't changed and isn't going to change. Things will work out for these kids or they won't.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's interesting to me to read the different comments in this thread. They cover the spectrum for one end to the other of folks being concerned almost to the point of anger and rebellion, to the other end where folks are completely understanding and have absolutely no problem with Geno's motives or actions. I talking about very knowledgeable and "seasoned" fans, not newbies or casual fans. It's amazing to watch the dichotomy manifest itself over this topic. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If you watch the replay, you'll see that MW and MC react to Kyla's fun little turnaround-fadaway shot, and they were laughing and cheering just like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom