Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aaliyah will absolutely be in the regular rotation next year, assuming she doesn’t earn the starting PF job. She is that good.
I really like Edwards but what if she initially isn't that good? You can never have too many board banging bigs. And I'm not considering Gabriel as IMO she's a long term project.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
On Megan: fine player, good to very good season, disappointed in big games...
Never seemed to me to quite live up to the #1 ranking
( not new analysis, noted multiple times previously).

She would have profited by another year's tutelage as would have the team for her splendid efforts.

What I have trouble understanding is this:

With the gross uncertainty of the current state of events...Why did she not at least wait until the last minute to make her decision...unless getting out of Dodge was paramount.

The state of the world is such that it is likely that there will be either no or a limited W season; surely there is no guarantee of next winter's season abroad....Look at today's headlines...

And remember for the 1917 scourge, the following year was very much the worse.

It is altogether possible, even likely...that as China zooms back into
full production, a second wave will develop...and the merry-go-round will begin again.

With the level of universal uncertainty about which she is surely aware, her decision must have been made some time ago and was unalterable.

Reaction Score
I still can't believe this.

This is a huge loss for our team and I just don't understand it.

2 players in 3 years walked away from a chance to lead a team to a championship. For a program built on TEAM first and winning championships (and having fun) this is very troubling.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess for these 3-5 seconds of my life you can call me a horrible selfish human being. But you do realizethat I do appreciate after 3-5 seconds, right?
If it only took you 3-5 seconds then you are better person than I. I'm still disappointed. I still feel let down.
I still feel less hopeful about a UCONN WBB Championship for next season. This still feels surreal no matter how many times ESPN runs it across my screen. I still believe in this program, enough to wish Megan well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Neither Makurat nor Griffin were consistent players whatsoever. By the end of the season Makurat looked like a starter, but then she was a pro in Europe, not a high school player. Geno even said prior to the season that he expected her to be more ready than the usual freshman, and it still took her months to develop.

CW had a solid yet up-and-down freshmen year. She also got to play 33+ minutes to work out the kinks. Edwards will be lucky to see half that next year.

Again, Collier, Williams, Tuck, Jefferson, KLS until her last month, Walker, ONO... I could go on.
I see Aaliyah getting minutes off the bench up front right away because, as you point out, UConn only has Liv an Aubrey coming back at the 4 & 5, and they are not going to play 40 mpg. Here’s another prediction that may generate an eye roll. Sometime after mid season or so Geno will start working Piath into the rotation for 5-10 mpg subbing for Liv.

In any event, we will all see what happens next year once it happens.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I really like Edwards but what if she initially isn't that good? You can never have too many board banging bigs. And I'm not considering Gabriel as IMO she's a long term project.
We’ll find out how good Aaliyah is next year, but her experience on the Canadian National Team has accelerated her development far beyond a typical incoming HS freshman. As for Piath, she is in for a long term development, but I like the fact that she is big, strong and can run the court. I’m hoping she can learn the basics to rebound and defend at the college level to the point where she can begin to provide some backup PT for Liv, sometime during the 2nd half of the season.

Reaction Score
I think she just wanted out. Playing at UConn is a lot of work. It's a burden that us fans will never truly understand. We know she considered leaving after her freshman season. My gut says she decided this a long time ago. Perhaps even before the season when she mentioned in November that she had to treat her junior season as if she was a pro. A bit of foreshadowing there. Regarding Tuck leaving, she talked about it as a possibility before that season even started, so I wasn't surprised. I thought Azura would come back for her final season, but it just never worked out for her. Geno wanted her to bang down low, and she wanted to shoot threes. Think next season is a showcase season for Evina as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On the Down Side, well there goes that UCONN Incoming Recruiting Class "Fantastic Four" from 2017 in Megan Walker, Mikalya Coombs, Andra Espinoza-Hunter and Lexi Gordon. All four of them never made it thru "All 4 Years" at UCONN. This is not to say that Megan didn't have 2 very good years, out of the 3 that she was at UCONN. But one would certainly hope in WCBB, that you would have players being recruited into a Top 10 NCAA Women's Basketball Program stay and play all 4 years. On the Up Side, for next year, we still have 5 "Very Strong" returning players in ONO, Christyn Williams, Anna Makurat, Aubrey Griffin, and Evina Westbrook, along with a very strong incoming class of Paige Bueckers, Mir McLean, Aaliyah Edwards, Nika Muhl, and Piath Gabriel. This still can be a FINAL FOUR team for the 2020/2021 season

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do not believe this team will need to add anyone with what is returning and what is coming in.The most an extra player would bring is the icing on the cake.This team has talent,BEFORE the new recruits suit up,and will be tremendous with what is coming in.Might take a few games to get everything in sync,but will not be as frustrating it was this year that at times seemed at a standstill.
Some act like what we have coming in will not be enough to replace what we have lost.Well,I say phooey to that.I believe we have MAJOR talent coming in,and we will be a real problem for every team we face.
We lost three games this year decisively in the front court. At a minimum Stanford, SC, Oregon State, and Baylor will all return front courts that could be potentially problematic for UCONN next season.

Reaction Score
Good luck to her. Business decision wise I don’t think it was a smart decision. She needs to develop more. Never developed a killer instinct and reached her true potential.
Agreed, but hope she will further blossom in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
We’ll find out how good Aaliyah is next year, but her experience on the Canadian National Team has accelerated her development far beyond a typical incoming HS freshman. As for Piath, she is in for a long term development, but I like the fact that she is big, strong and can run the court. I’m hoping she can learn the basics to rebound and defend at the college level to the point where she can begin to provide some backup PT for Liv, sometime during the 2nd half of the season.
If Gabriel could develop that quickly that would be great. But info from a couple trusted coaching contacts from NH make me inclined not to put any money on that. But I'd like to be wrong.

Reaction Score
I think she just wanted out. Playing at UConn is a lot of work. It's a burden that us fans will never truly understand. We know she considered leaving after her freshman season. My gut says she decided this a long time ago. Perhaps even before the season when she mentioned in November that she had to treat her junior season as if she was a pro. A bit of foreshadowing there. Regarding Tuck leaving, she talked about it as a possibility before that season even started, so I wasn't surprised. I thought Azura would come back for her final season, but it just never worked out for her. Geno wanted her to bang down low, and she wanted to shoot threes.
While I agree regarding your last sentence about Stevens, I've always wondered why they wouldn't have had an understanding and agreement about that before they committed to each other.

HGN

Reaction Score
I am surprised. And very sorry to hear that news. My thoughts were that UCONN would have the strongest returning team for next season in WCBB , with Megan.

You never know the thoughts or whims of these young ladies. Ionesco comes back to Oregon because she said she had unfinished business and wants to win a NC. And Megan leaves early because she wants to play in the WNBA and not play her senior year for a chance at a NC.

You never know the thoughts or whims of these young ladies.

Reaction Score
UConn 3 loses this season Meg had 18pts, 8pts, and 10pts (Avg 12pts). Those was big games that they really needed her to step up, it did not happen. Crystal was the player that showed up and she will most likely get drafted before Meg.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think she just wanted out. Playing at UConn is a lot of work. It's a burden that us fans will never truly understand. We know she considered leaving after her freshman season. My gut says she decided this a long time ago. Perhaps even before the season when she mentioned in November that she had to treat her junior season as if she was a pro. A bit of foreshadowing there. Regarding Tuck leaving, she talked about it as a possibility before that season even started, so I wasn't surprised. I thought Azura would come back for her final season, but it just never worked out for her. Geno wanted her to bang down low, and she wanted to shoot threes. Think next season is a showcase season for Evina as well.

I don't think Geno only wanted her to bang down low. I am sure he wanted her to develop an all around game like Stewie. It was not Geno's fault that she could not hit a 3 pt shot even though she was acknowledged to be a very good 3 pt shooter by Geno himself. Moving her outside from time to time would have opened the lane for Pheesa a lot more. Geno had a great plan but the players have to execute. Maybe it was the pressure and I am guessing Geno is not at his best in relieving pressure since playing at UConn is pressure.

And I understand why Azure left early even though it was a shock but only because it was such a new thing but I really do not get why Meg is leaving early but will not regurgitate my reasons.

This really hurts our leadership alot. Evina now enters the fire.

Reaction Score
We'll have a great team next year. Even with the extra money, nobody's getting rich playing in the WNBA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I agree regarding your last sentence about Stevens, I've always wondered why they wouldn't have had an understanding and agreement about that before they committed to each other.
I’m certain there was an understanding beforehand. Unfortunately, sometimes people change their mind.

Reaction Score
Very bad move on her part.

1. There might not be a WNBA season or draft

2. She is not pro ready yet.

3. The pay is awful in the WNBA and she has it better at Uconn where she can also develop more.

I guess we won't have to worry about playing time for the 5 freshman now.

Reaction Score
I selfishly wish Meg would have stayed for another year. Watching her grow has been a joy especially this last season. I was really looking forward to seeing her along side the incoming recruits and Evina. Would have been a Husky fans treat. Crystal and Meg going pro, will leave a huge void in our perimeter shooting. Anna and Christyn were very streaky shooters at best. We will struggle without Meg and her ability to stretch the defense. Anna, Paige and ONO won't have that shooter to kick out to on the perimeter and knock it down.

With all that said Good luck Meg and I hope Minnesota Lynx Drafts you.
Husky Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger