May recruiting thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

May recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven't heard UConn associated with Zaniah Williams yet. Are you confusing her with 2025 Janiah Williams from Oklahoma?

Zaniyah Williams is a ‘26 kid that Coach Valley is following on Instagram, has been following her for at least a few months now.

Already has offers from Arizona, Kentucky, Louisville and Maryland to name a few. She’s also set to compete at U16 Trials

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Zaniyah Williams is a ‘26 kid that Coach Valley is following on Instagram, has been following her for at least a few months now.

Already has offers from Arizona, Kentucky, Louisville and Maryland to name a few. She’s also set to compete at U16 Trials

That's pretty big news. She's arguably the top player in a preposterously stacked class. Certainly a possibility for #1.

Reaction Score

I'm not crazy about Allie's shooting form, but I love her passing -- crisp, eyes up, doesn't pick up her dribble idly -- and her tenacity in chasing the ball. I think she'll be awesome!

Reaction Score
I'm not crazy about Allie's shooting form, but I love her passing -- crisp, eyes up, doesn't pick up her dribble idly -- and her tenacity in chasing the ball. I think she'll be awesome!
Remember that one coach advised Allie to take 10,000 shots during the summer prior to
her first years in H.S. Allie did as she was told (kind of) and sent the ball up 100,000 X during that summer. So,
I believer that her shooting form is rather well grooved! Any suggestions that she should change?
Go Allie, Go Huskies! Good luck on the USA U19 team! (Allie is 17 years old).

Reaction Score
Remember that one coach advised Allie to take 10,000 shots during the summer prior to
her first years in H.S. Allie did as she was told (kind of) and sent the ball up 100,000 X during that summer. So,
I believer that her shooting form is rather well grooved! Any suggestions that she should change?
Go Allie, Go Huskies! Good luck on the USA U19 team! (Allie is 17 years old).
Who am I to tell her how to shoot? And yes I was aware of the 10k - 100k practice regimen, and that she's 17. You don't need to protect her. I'm a total fan of hers and think she'll be awesome.

Here's what I see: her release point is not very high, she uses a lot of arm and shoulder strength to launch a 3, and she appears to use the guide hand to help propel the ball. I'd like to see a slo-motion video to know for sure, but it looks like this causes a slight sideways rotation on the ball, too. This may be a forearm/wrist strength issue and she'll probably develop more strength soon enough and her form will improve. By the way, this is more or less what Caroline's shooting form looks like even now, and she is one of the greats in my book.

Compare this to Azzi and Paige: they release high, use almost entirely wrist and forearm even from 3, and the rotation is perfectly aligned. They have very strong hands -- especially Azzi -- and this gives them a significant advantage in form.

I'm confident from what I've seen that Allie will be tremendous at UConn. She's a total ball hawk who knows how to finish, so I'm not all that concerned about perfecting her form in any particular area. She has a player's heart -- it has the perfect form, and that's by far and away the most important thing.

Reaction Score
Who am I to tell her how to shoot? And yes I was aware of the 10k - 100k practice regimen, and that she's 17. You don't need to protect her. I'm a total fan of hers and think she'll be awesome.

Here's what I see: her release point is not very high, she uses a lot of arm and shoulder strength to launch a 3, and she appears to use the guide hand to help propel the ball. I'd like to see a slo-motion video to know for sure, but it looks like this causes a slight sideways rotation on the ball, too. This may be a forearm/wrist strength issue and she'll probably develop more strength soon enough and her form will improve. By the way, this is more or less what Caroline's shooting form looks like even now, and she is one of the greats in my book.

Compare this to Azzi and Paige: they release high, use almost entirely wrist and forearm even from 3, and the rotation is perfectly aligned. They have very strong hands -- especially Azzi -- and this gives them a significant advantage in form.

I'm confident from what I've seen that Allie will be tremendous at UConn. She's a total ball hawk who knows how to finish, so I'm not all that concerned about perfecting her form in any particular area. She has a player's heart -- it has the perfect form, and that's by far and away the most important thing.
Couldn't agree with you more ! In general, low release, too much arm, cradle hand involvement, and lack of arc are the characteristic shooter's flaws (particularly for the Ladies on the low release). It is often hard to say how much is self-inflicted or individual anatomy / physiology influenced, but shooting style gets baked in very young and is hard to change, particularly when reinforced by so much practice of the art. Ideally, you have a good shooting coach in your family, when you are very young. AAU ball, does not offer much technique coaching, particularly when your athleticism is defining your success. There are numerous Uconn alumni examples of baked in shooting mechanics limitations, e.g. Kelly Farris, Andre Jackson. A perfectly directed shot may still go in at a marginal percentage, but high percentages belong to the best form shooters. Shooting coaches often mess things up further by trying to force fit their own training on things like exactly where the cradle hand should be positioned, etc. without breaking down the basic mechanics. Can a 6'5" uber athletic guard with great court vision and uncorrected shooting mechanics make it and sustain in the NBA, we'll see.

Reaction Score
The standard thought that practice makes perfect is true BUT it can also train how to do something wrong. Get good instruction on how to do something correctly then practice until you can't get it wrong. That is UConn's mantra - others practice until they get something right, UConn practices until they can't do it wrong.

Reaction Score

I do agree with you. The low release is rather obvious. So.... Geno and his staff will
then work to change her mechanics?? Maybe, if it is in her long-term best interest,
(and you are probably right about that), it could take more than her freshman year to make
the appropriate adjustments. 100,000 ++ more practice shots will provide the proper
muscle memory. Go Allie! Go Boneyard!!

Reaction Score
I do agree with you. The low release is rather obvious. So.... Geno and his staff will
then work to change her mechanics?? Maybe, if it is in her long-term best interest,
(and you are probably right about that), it could take more than her freshman year to make
the appropriate adjustments. 100,000 ++ more practice shots will provide the proper
muscle memory. Go Allie! Go Boneyard!!
If she is able to score off the dribble-drive then teams won't be able to bother her shot from the outsidenear as much. Thererfore if she shows she can score off the dribble by dong this, assuming her release is low, there still would be little-to-no problem getting the shot off as long as it's quick. IMO that was na issue with Lou. She couldn't do a lot off the dribble after her soph year for some reason. I thought her soph season she shwoed she could a bit but maybe I was wrong back then too.

Have any games on this recruting thread shown she is having troubles getting off her shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom