May recruiting thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

May recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ki

Kiki, Breya, jada, Jáquez and possibly Juju would be a formidable force and add Lyndon Jones. Oh boy
Fortunately for all of the rest of WCB, Geno, Tara, Kim, and Dawn (and to a lesser degree, Jeff, Vic, Wes, and Carla are all coaching somewhere else!:p

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wish she were here already. Speed. Motor. Handles. Midrange. Crafty going to the rim. She is going to be a problem for defenders.
She drives with her head up. Too many kids are thinking flashy play and have their head down as they go right at the basket. The heads up gives her a chance to read the defense and pull up, pass, or drive.

Reaction Score
Hard press for Booker and Rosario. I think Rosario has a beast inside that can be awakened!
In terms of 4's or 5's I think Rosario is the only elite one left for 2023 and I have no idea if we are high on her priorities or not. After that it appears you settle for a big in 2023, or wait for 2024 unless there is a foreign gem we are unaware of.

I still have hopes for another elite wing like Williams or Booker to complete a very good recruiting class, but it is starting to look like we might miss out on a top ranked big this year, and as I understand it, 2024 is weak for C size prospects beyond Blanca Thomas.

We also could find ourselves looking in the portal for a C type next year.

Reaction Score
The Huskies lose out on top recruiting targets almost every year. It's not a trend, it's normal. We got 2 top five front court players coming next season. Can that possibly have anything to do with losing a couple of 2023's? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The Huskies lose out on top recruiting targets almost every year. It's not a trend, it's normal. We got 2 top five front court players coming next season. Can that possibly have anything to do with losing a couple of 2023's? :rolleyes:
What school doesn't lose out on some of its top recruiting targets? The trick is to get two or three top level recruits out of all your offers every year.........that's the best that can be expected as college WBB has become more competitive in the past five years.....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Can that possibly have anything to do with losing a couple of 2023's? :rolleyes:

I doubt it. Pretty clear UConn was runner up for Toomey and only her great experience and "special feeling" at Chapel Hill likely got in the way. Cunningham is more of a pure center than Brady or Patterson so I don't think that's a blocking issue either.

Reaction Score
I doubt it. Pretty clear UConn was runner up for Toomey and only her great experience and "special feeling" at Chapel Hill likely got in the way. Cunningham is more of a pure center than Brady or Patterson so I don't think that's a blocking issue either.
I never sensed Cunningham was leaving the West Coast so didn't invest too much in her recruitment........Toomey was surely a disappointment but that's what can happen when a really good coach lands at an attractive major program like UNC.......:(

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ASGR evaluator's top-9 players from this weekend's event in Texas includes Chavez, Foy, and Clardy.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ASGR evaluator's top-9 from an UA event late May. Williams, Edwards, Cambridge are the POI here.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Cal Hi Sports' California players of the year include Ice Brady on the First team and Kennedy Smith on the Second.

Large write-ups of all players in the link:

Reaction Score
I've now watched video (including some whole games) of the California kids, as well as this year's McD's All Americans. It looks to me that the current 22 & 23 UConn commits (Ice, Ayanna, Ashlynn, and KK) represent a stupendous achievement for Geno and the staff. These look like Huskies all the way, as well as being excellent talents already. I hope we manage to get one more for 23, and there are other great prospects out there. But I don't see that any other schools have so far produced a better 2 year recruiting class. I may be missing something here -- I am rather shortsighted -- and wouldn't mind being corrected.

Reaction Score
Solid overview on the California high school prospects, including Ice:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are we though? I mean UCONN isn’t for everyone and some kids just want to stay home or nearby because family is important. We do have a 6-3/4 post coming next season from San Diego and one of the most athletic prospects in the 22 class not to mention 2 great guards the following season. Maybe I’m just a glass half full kinda human. I dont know.
Cunningham will be a great college player but as I have stated on here multiple times she wasn’t leaving the West Coast. I realize I’m no @Sluconn Husky or @UConnCat or @CocoHusky but I’ve been around for a while do get some information from time to time. And while we are on that topic you can add Watkins to the “west coast” prospects because she is also expected to stay home although not with as much certainty as Cunningham. Bottom line we will be fine.
UCONN can't keep missing out on these quality post players and still hope to be fine. Cunningham would have been a good - it didn't happen so on to the next one. Del Rosario if she wants to come. I'm all in on Kate (The Great) Koval '24 as the next great UCONN post player from the Empire state none the less.

Reaction Score
UCONN can't keep missing out on these quality post players and still hope to be fine. Cunningham would have been a good - it didn't happen so on to the next one. Del Rosario if she wants to come. I'm all in on Kate (The Great) Koval '24 as the next great UCONN post player from the Empire state none the less.
I’m all in!

Reaction Score
Normally at this time of year, there are rumors of some 7-foot center from Australia or a 6'6" shooting guard from Lithuania. ;) More seriously, suspect there are some bigs in eastern Europe that could help UConn. Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
Charlie, just hoping to be around to see anything in "25. At this time Ms. Chavez is low on my priorities list. If I still have a nearly full bag of marbles in 3 years unless Chavez is a Husky it won't matter to me. I will check back in 3 years and we can have a discussion on her if she is Husky pup. ;)
I, have the same hopes/feelings. What I'd like to see is Geno WIN one more or 2 NC's. Geno has to dispel the negatives some are throwing around--i.e., Always a bridesmaid, (recently) never a bride. Winning the NC is about coaching but mostly about recruiting the right combinations of players. Geno has a superbly talented team at Uconn right now, those few coming in will make is much better, but ONE perfectly talented 6 ft 5, 7, 9 inches would guarantee his next NC.
I'd say his 15 FF's in a row, his 11 NC's with 12 NC appearances is nothing short of Amazing. Does he need more? NO! But we who believe in him want his final UConn years to end as they were in 1995 and early 2000's.

Reaction Score
I don't want an NC for Geno -- and I doubt he thinks that way either at this point. I want an NC for Paige and Azzi and CD... and AG and AE and DJ and AD and Ice and AP and Lou. But most of all for Paige. It would be a shame to see such a transcendent talent not reach its fullest expression.

Reaction Score
I've now watched video (including some whole games) of the California kids, as well as this year's McD's All Americans. It looks to me that the current 22 & 23 UConn commits (Ice, Ayanna, Ashlynn, and KK Arnold) represent a stupendous achievement for Geno and the staff. These look like Huskies all the way, as well as being excellent talents already. I hope we manage to get one more for 23, and there are other great prospects out there. But I don't see that any other schools have so far produced a better 2 year recruiting class. I may be missing something here -- I am rather shortsighted -- and wouldn't mind being corrected.
I don't think you are missing something, It is more a case of being close to another great recruiting year and maybe falling just short of that. Almost all programs would love to have Uconn's recruits for 2023 if it ended with KK and Ashlyn. Hopefully we add another impact player, but the standard here is not how we compare to most programs, but rather do the changes each year move us ahead of our most serious championship competitors.

Each of 4 recruiting years makes a difference for each team. We have 4 consecutive very good recruiting years if it ends with a class of 2 for 2023. 2021 and 2022 were great with the consensus number 1 pick each year, and 2022 and 2023 look on paper to be pretty good. So for Paige's senior year we should be loaded.

But this season we are still affected by one bad recruiting year. We came up short on last year's junior class, failing to get Boston or Jones, so not only did that hurt us, but also it helped our best challengers, and we wound up playing against the same players in the final four. They are both back for their senior years, so it is an issue this year as well. In 2023/24 the impact of those misses will finally be gone, and we should have 4 straight good recruiting classes for Paige's senior year.

So most of us know these are very good recruiting classes compared to most programs, and that keeps us in the hunt for a championship, but the standard may be can we put together a four class roster better than anybody else's, and there are lots of top programs pursuing the same exceptional players, and to a certain extent our loss sometimes winds up being their gain and visa versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom