May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 58 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
Mercury arguably have a top-3 starting five in the league, way too talented to be .500. I know they’ve had some injuries but they’re still getting rocked by some of the league’s mediocre teams.

Just reviewed their whole schedule, here are their losses, and who was injured in each game (of their core 6):

at LV (Griner)
Dallas (Griner)
at Conn (Allen, Griner)
at NY (Allen, Griner)
at Minn (Allen, Griner)
at Seattle (Allen, Griner)
LV (No one)
at Minn (No one)
Ind (No one)
Conn (Allen, Taurasi)
at Ind (Cloud, Taurasi, Griner)
at Conn (No one)

So most PHX's losses have mostly come against the league's elite teams... Their core 6 rotation is fantastic. But they have maybe the worst collection of role players in the league. Seems like their goal should be load management to have max-health for the playoffs. Even if it costs them in the standings.

Reaction Score
Big 4th quarter for Indiana leads to come from behind win against Minnesota. Nice game for Boston, career high 16 rebounds to go w/ 17 pts and 4 blocks. Not a great game for Clark but made plays down the stretch.
One of the worst games I've seen Clark play...she just seemed off from the start. Then started to force some shots. Nalyssa Smith starting to figure out how to be a teammate. Will be interesting to see what they do in the season's second half.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Hayes with her best game in quite a while, Aces needed it. Wilson was her usual self. Plum had a good game. Young a bit off and Gray was terrible. Is she ever gonna ger her game back?

Career high 36 for Atkins. Only player from Mystics in double figures. Kept them in it til late in Q4.
C. Gray was basically injured from the finals until 11 games ago. Her shot is definitely off but the Aces are 10-1 since she started playing again.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
C. Gray was basically injured from the finals until 11 games ago. Her shot is definitely off but the Aces are 10-1 since she started playing again.
They've obviously been playing better since she returned, can't be a coincidence, but she is not playing well at all.

Reaction Score
Just reviewed their whole schedule, here are their losses, and who was injured in each game (of their core 6):

at LV (Griner)
Dallas (Griner)
at Conn (Allen, Griner)
at NY (Allen, Griner)
at Minn (Allen, Griner)
at Seattle (Allen, Griner)
LV (No one)
at Minn (No one)
Ind (No one)
Conn (Allen, Taurasi)
at Ind (Cloud, Taurasi, Griner)
at Conn (No one)

So most PHX's losses have mostly come against the league's elite teams... Their core 6 rotation is fantastic. But they have maybe the worst collection of role players in the league. Seems like their goal should be load management to have max-health for the playoffs. Even if it costs them in the standings.ther losses
Merc are a horrible road team. Merc inconsistent home team. Currently .500 and 7th in current power ratings......

Losses

107-92 at home to the Wings in May

88-82 at home to Fever in June

95-86 road to Fever in July

And.........the "performance" just the other day at Connecticut.

If it quacks like a Turkey, if it staggers like a Turkey.......it must be a Turkey.

In DC the million dollar coach will confront a team that has suffered mightily from injury and yet consistently shown up and given an effort on the court. In fact I believe they're six and six recently and it will certainly be interesting to see if the Merc can wake up for that 8:30 a.m. (Pacific) tip.

I suspect they may well sleep walk through another loss but I'm willing to give the million dollar coach the benefit of the doubt, yeah right.

Reaction Score
I'm actually starting to believe that the Fever can get above .500 this year.

A win over the hapless wings tomorrow would leave them in 7th place and only 2 wins short of .500. After their horrible schedule to start the season, they are starting to play some solid team ball. The Olympic break will give them time to workout together and bond as a team. If the continue to play TOGETHER, their success may increase during the second half of the season. Yes, I'm starting to believe Caitlin can be a team player. (BTW, rookies need to rest instead of playing in the Olympics. They've been playing since November)

Reaction Score
I'm actually starting to believe that the Fever can get above .500 this year.

A win over the hapless wings tomorrow would leave them in 7th place and only 2 wins short of .500. After their horrible schedule to start the season, they are starting to play some solid team ball. The Olympic break will give them time to workout together and bond as a team. If the continue to play TOGETHER, their success may increase during the second half of the season. Yes, I'm starting to believe Caitlin can be a team player. (BTW, rookies need to rest instead of playing in the Olympics. They've been playing since November)
This is the big thing for me. Nine months without much downtime. They need it.

Reaction Score
Is that much different than the vets that came straight from the Europe, Australian or Asian teams though? Dorka, for example, went from college basketball to the WNBA, straight to Italy after the WNBA season ended, and flew to Minnesota the day after her team lost in the championship series and was playing within the week.Thats very little downtime since summer 2022, around 21 months. And she's not alone.

Everyone gets so hyper focused on the rookies for this but there are a lot of players that haven't had more than a few weeks off in years at this point.

Reaction Score
Is that much different than the vets that came straight from the Europe, Australian or Asian teams though? Dorka, for example, went from college basketball to the WNBA, straight to Italy after the WNBA season ended, and flew to Minnesota the day after her team lost in the championship series and was playing within the week.Thats very little downtime since summer 2022, around 21 months. And she's not alone.

Everyone gets so hyper focused on the rookies for this but there are a lot of players that haven't had more than a few weeks off in years at this point.
Agreed, GirlBoo1020. I'd bet a high percentage of the Olympians who play in the WNBA have been playing straight through for many months since before this WNBA season.

This really hadn't been a point of interest until Caitlin came along. I'll bet she'd be okay forgoing her month of 'rest' to join up with her fellow Americans in Paris, and then would come back play just fine for the Fever down the stretch. She's 22, right?

Reaction Score

No, but that's a separate issue. NBA draft picks had a couple months before they participate in summer league. If WNBA players had that at least, I'd relent but not by much.

Also, why should WNBA players have to play virtually all year round? They all need time to rest, recuperate and rebuild their strength.

Look at a player like Lauren Jackson who had to "retire" due to injuries but has returned and still playing at a high level while playing solely on the WNBL. Or that year Taurasi was paid by her Russian club team to skip a WNBA season?

WNBA players are the only ones I've seen playing that type of schedule. Those who stick to the Euro league, WNBL, etc., seem to have an off-season.

@deacon This may not have gotten as much attention until Clark joined the league, but the wear and tear on WNBA players having to commit to this type of schedule has been discussed. This is why leagues like Athletes Unlimited and the new 3x3 league Unrivaled are coming into existence. Their schedules provides more breaks between the WNBA off-season, giving players more flexibility to take care of their bodies.

And yes there are athletes who are gladly heading to Paris to represent their countries and there's nothing wrong with that. At the same time considering these compressed schedules to accommodate the Olympics hasn't helped things for some players this season. This break will be a nice respite for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, but that's a separate issue. NBA draft picks had a couple months before they participate in summer league. If WNBA players had that at least, I'd relent but not by much.

Also, why should WNBA players have to play virtually all year round? They all need time to rest, recuperate and rebuild their strength.

Look at a player like Lauren Jackson who had to "retire" due to injuries but has returned and still playing at a high level while playing solely on the WNBL. Or that year Taurasi was paid by her Russian club team to skip a WNBA season?

WNBA players are the only ones I've seen playing that type of schedule. Those who stick to the Euro league, WNBL, etc., seem to have an off-season.

@deacon This may not have gotten as much attention until Clark joined the league, but the wear and tear on WNBA players having to commit to this type of schedule has been discussed. This is why leagues like Athletes Unlimited and the new 3x3 league Unrivaled are coming into existence. Their schedules provides more breaks between the WNBA off-season, giving players more flexibility to take care of their bodies.

And yes there are athletes who are gladly heading to Paris to represent their countries and there's nothing wrong with that. At the same time considering these compressed schedules to accommodate the Olympics hasn't helped things for some players this season. This break will be a nice respite for them.
There are some players on the team who should pass with current injuries. Like Stewie, and Collier, going over there to play under FIBA rules which is rougher then the WNBA isn't a good idea.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The CT Sun couldn't even beat NY without Stewart and Laney-Hamilton. Now 0-3 against NY this season (including 0-2 at home). Including last season, they are 1-10 against NY.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score

The owner and founder of the wnba, the nba, set up the womens league in the summer so as to not compete with the nba. All the other womens leagues in others countries are, not surprisingly, during the regular basketball season.

If the USA had pro womens hoops during basketball season, this idea of going overseas to play in another league would not be an issue.

WBBTakeover

I'm not cooler than Kate Martin. Who is?
Reaction Score
The CT Sun couldn't even beat NY without Stewart and Laney-Hamilton. Now 0-3 against NY this season (including 0-2 at home). Including last season, they are 1-10 against NY.
If Darvin Ham can get fired after two seasons for his ridiculously poor record against Denver, then...

Reaction Score
The owner and founder of the wnba, the nba, set up the womens league in the summer so as to not compete with the nba. All the other womens leagues in others countries are, not surprisingly, during the regular basketball season.

If the USA had pro womens hoops during basketball season, this idea of going overseas to play in another league would not be an issue.
I'm fully aware however it still doesn't mean that they should have to play overseas and the US if they don't want to. The trend of players going overseas is starting to shift, however. Haven't seen Wilson or Plum play overseas for a couple seasons. Ionescu didn't either I believe. She's talked about feeling healthier this season as she didn't have a nagging injury to manage. Some players opted to be coaches for NCAA programs like Atkins and Howard.

Maybe having the league play at the same time of the NBA could help, but coordinating schedules would be a mess. You're now competing with NBA and NHL, not to mention concerts during the winter for space in arenas.

With these additional leagues being stateside and provide some time before the start of the WNBA season. Hopefully, over time, players will have more options in how and where they want to play.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Talk about players going overseas. I believe it is only a 22 game season, plus 2 rounds of Best of 3 playoffs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom