May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 4 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
An upgrade...... over last year's pathetic perimeter defense.

Gray was 8-12 (3-4 from 3)
Howard was 7-15 (5-9 from 3)
Young was 6-16

Plum who's been asked to step up and fill the Chelsea roll was 8 for 20.

Massive upgrade? Yes but when you're comparing defense to pathetic massive merely takes you to ineffective.

In their last three games the final preseason and first two regular season games this upgraded personnel has limited opponents to 10-23, 9-29 and 12 - 23 from threeland. Both million dollar coach and these three upgraded personnel appear to lack the consistent effort and were not for the Fever would be at the bottom of the league in points allowed.

The improved defense has proved exhausting for the Mercury as they've been outscored in all second half quarters during the regular season to date, allowing 48 second half points to both Aces and the Dream.

Apparently this improved personnel lacks proper structure and coaching. I'm wondering if the Mercury are reconsidering the ROI on their million dollar coach in spite of his initial w as a woman's coach last week.

As the Aces remain undefeated in their struggle to hit from three land the Mercury were fortunate to survive the Dream and most certainly will go to 1-2 after tomorrow night's double digit loss to the Aces.
I hear ya, but we don't have an actual PG right now. I'm not sure why the bookies keep churning out double-digit lines. We may beat Phoenix again tonight, but I certainly do not see a blowout win in our favor. I'd love to be wrong.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I suspect in time that will happen, but the dynamics between Clark and Boston is an interesting subplot to watch. What seemed like a marriage made in heaven when they were paired up, is looking like they are preparing for divorce court instead so far.
I'll preface this statement by saying that Aliyah's play so far this year has been less than inspiring. I don't know if she underestimated the process it would take to get back in tip-top shape, but she's missing the mark by a LOT. Hopefully, this serves as a "lesson learned" and that she will take her ramp-up more seriously in future seasons.

That said, the hate that this young woman has received all over internetland is ridiculous. And for what? Poor play? There are tons of players in the league playing poorly right now. Lack of conditioning? Already addressed above. Bad behavior? AB? No, that's not it. She's one of the sweetest human beings on the planet. Oh, I think I get it. Folks really hate Coach Dawn Staley, don't they--so much so that they'll take out their frustrations of her on one of her players (because they know that Dawn will tell them what they can kiss and where they can go once they've finished that task).

And yes, I do blame overzealous Iowa fans/CC stans for the bulk of the hateful energy towards AB. I don't think all Iowa fans are contributing to the hate, but the loudest voices amongst that group have created this maelstrom. But it's not just them by any stretch. It's LSU fans. It's Tennessee fans. It's Stanford/Pac-12 fans. It's UConn fans. It's any fan base that had to endure getting their cans kicked by a recruiting class that went 129-9 in four seasons. So, your faves missed out on a few championships and individual awards while the centerpiece of the "Freshies" constantly added to her award collection. So what? Get over it.

The CC/AB pairing was exciting on paper and still seems like it could destroy the rest of the league in the future if it pans out, but the process appears to be eroding the mental state of one of the parties involved. If a "divorce" would improve Aliyah's mentals, then I'm all for it. I just hope she lands in a situation that will allow her to flourish both as an athlete and as a young woman. Aww, who are we kidding? Just go to Vegas, Aliyah.

Reaction Score
We may beat Phoenix again tonight, but I certainly do not see a blowout win in our favor. I'd love to be wrong
I would say the Aces are a lock to beat Phoenix, Given the construction (destruction?) by the clowns in Phoenix a point guard isn't really necessary to take down the Mercury. A lack of coherent roster construction and the inability of the million dollar coach in the valley of the Sun to implement any semblance of defense or effort assures that the top four teams in the w will have little to no problem with Phoenix. In fact the meddling four teams of the w should have little to no problem with Phoenix.

I feel sympathy with you as the Aces await Chelsea's eventual return for the playoffs. With that said the situation in Las Vegas is several magnitudes better than the dumpster fire in Phoenix. We are all waiting for Gadot as well as the acumen of the million dollar coach in Phoenix to reveal itself. Thank God for the Fever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The biggest surprise to me so far is the initial incompatibility of Clark and Boston. Everybody is talking about Clark's struggles, but Boston is having a horrible start as well. On paper I thought the addition of Clark would be a major advantage for Boston since Clark is such a good passer.

Clark having to adjust to the WNBA is a major factor of course, but perhaps her new teammates adjusting to her is just as big an issue. WNBA rookies have to adjust to a new system and generally learn to fit in. Caitlin has had systems built around her talents and how much she dominates the ball. Instead of the rookie fitting in and learning the system, the rest of the Pacers roster has to learn how to play with Clark.

I suspect in time that will happen, but the dynamics between Clark and Boston is an interesting subplot to watch. What seemed like a marriage made in heaven when they were paired up, is looking like they are preparing for divorce court instead so far.
The interaction between AB and Jones in the first Liberty game was telling. Boston appeared to be not only taken aback but intimidated as Jones towered over her. I don't recall a moment like this during her rookie year

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The interaction between AB and Jones in the first Liberty game was telling. Boston appeared to be not only taken aback but intimidated as Jones towered over her. I don't recall a moment like this during her rookie year
While her stat line still wasn't great in the second game, to me it looked like competed better against JJ and the Liberty in the second match up. She had some blocks and I saw a bit of fire from her. Hopefully something to build on. She got tangled up a bit w/ JJ as well, which seems to indicate she wasn't backing down.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, enough w/ the bashing of the Aces' guards. Young and Plum combined for 16 assists and 4 TOs last game. And 11/3 in the first game. Are either of them Chelsea Gray? No. Are they getting the ball to teammates in scoring position and keeping their TOs to a manageable number? Heck yeah they are.

Reaction Score
Okay, enough w/ the bashing of the Aces' guards. Young and Plum combined for 16 assists and 4 TOs last game. And 11/3 in the first game. Are either of them Chelsea Gray? No. Are they getting the ball to teammates in scoring position and keeping their TOs to a manageable number? Heck yeah they are.
Yep, Aces second in W in scoring to the Lynx!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yep, Aces second in W in scoring to the Lynx!
Not bad for not being totally in sync. I'd say their issues so far have been more on defense than offense.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Is anyone trying to use League Pass tonight? Are you having problems? I get "No Content Available" when I try to use it. I have never seen that before.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What's up w/ the starting 5 for Dallas? Why is McCowan coming off the bench? 3 of the starters had 2 points combined! That is ludicrous. McCowan had 21/14. Ogunbowale and Billings (she's really taking advantage of her opportunity) both scored 20 or more.

Atlanta won by 5. Much more balanced scoring among the starters for the Dream.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is anyone trying to use League Pass tonight? Are you having problems? I get "No Content Available" when I try to use it. I have never seen that before.

Which game? I watched the Dallas @ Atlanta game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Which game? I watched the Dallas @ Atlanta game.
I am not being given the option to see any game. I have sent an email to League Pass Support.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I would say the Aces are a lock to beat Phoenix, Given the construction (destruction?) by the clowns in Phoenix a point guard isn't really necessary to take down the Mercury. A lack of coherent roster construction and the inability of the million dollar coach in the valley of the Sun to implement any semblance of defense or effort assures that the top four teams in the w will have little to no problem with Phoenix. In fact the meddling four teams of the w should have little to no problem with Phoenix.

I feel sympathy with you as the Aces await Chelsea's eventual return for the playoffs. With that said the situation in Las Vegas is several magnitudes better than the dumpster fire in Phoenix. We are all waiting for Gadot as well as the acumen of the million dollar coach in Phoenix to reveal itself. Thank God for the Fever.
Aces are up 1 on our home floor at the half against this supposed mess of a Mercury team. If the Top 4 teams aren't supposed to struggle with the Mercury and the meddling four teams aren't, either--then what does that make the Aces right now?

This is very hard to watch. Phoenix just keeps hitting threes at a very high clip (GREAT defense by the Aces) while the Vegas offense looks confused as to what to do when Jackie doesn't play hero ball. The actual mess is in Vegas right now. I shudder to think of what Minnesota is going to do to this team next Wednesday.

I'll keep repeating the following because I want to: if the organization knew that Chelsea's injury was more severe than she let on and did not bother to pursue a PG (even if she's a back-up--think Lindsay Allen or Crystal Dangerfield) in free agency, then they are negligent. They're telling us that Colson and Fair aren't viable options for minutes, so why not pursue someone who can run a team?

Reaction Score
Boston doesn't have a fighting bone in her body. She loves to compete as long as it is within the bounds of the game but is the sweetest person you'll ever meet when the whistle blows. Fighting goes against her principles so she didn't know how to handle the situation when it escalated beyond the game. I think she chose to deescalate by being submissive in the moment. I wouldn't read too much into it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What do I know, but it doesn't seem like scoring is a problem for Vegas, it's stopping the other team from scoring that they aren't doing well at all.

Phoenix was +9 on 3's in the first game and +8 so far tonight, but some genius told me that wasn't really a factor. Quick math tells me that 27 and 24 points difference. Sure, has no effect on the game.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Well...I doubt Phoenix goes 15-36 and LV 6-29 from 3 in the next game. That had a massive impact on the score. I feel pretty comfortable saying the Aces will win the next match up as well.
Well, Phoenix is 15-29 from 3 while Vegas is 7-23 through three quarters, so...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, Phoenix is 15-29 from 3 while Vegas is 7-23 through three quarters, so...
Phoenix should petition the league to play every game against the Aces, because they can't miss when they play them.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score

So glad that you're so prescient. I mean, you really called it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Like I said, it's the defense, not the offense.
It's both. And until this team can start defending and finds a PG who can run an offense, the losses will continue.

I'll check out until there are solutions because I'm no longer interested in watching the current crap show that is the 2024 Las Vegas Aces.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
LA beat Washington. Already down to only 2 winless teams--Indy and Wash.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is the Phoenix coach a significant upgrade from his predecessor? They are playing extreme small ball without Griner, and it is surprisingly effective.

I hope Copper makes the Olympic team. She can be unstoppable.

Well, Vegas won't go undefeated. Even 11/6/3 from Kiah Stokes wasn't enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom