May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 3 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In regards to Clark, for as much talk about her having a learning curve that'll take time, she's averaging 17 points, 5.5 assists and 4 rebounds per game so far which is stellar. TOs are high but are improving (as is her FG efficiency, up to 41% FG, 34% from 3) and most important, the chemistry with her teammates is developing each night.
Prior to this game, I saw a stat she was one of only four rookies to ever amass 50 points and 15 assists in their first 3 games in the league. Think about that. While she was "struggling," she did something only 3 players had done in the previous 25+ years of the league's existence.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Everyone played well for Indiana tonight aside from KLS (who wasn't awful, she just didn't do much out there).
Didn't Wallace get almost all of her minutes in the second half? Berger and Hull were permanently glued to the bench this game.

Reaction Score
Teams have scored 80 or less 11 times this year to just 3 games of teams scoring over 89. The physical nature of the WNBA makes it boring and is the reason is it much less popular than college basketball. If they don't do something about it, the Caitlin bump is going to be a blip.

Reaction Score
Indiana played their best stretch of the season with Boston and Clark on the bench.

I know everyone online is blaming Boston for the loss for that missed layup but Caitlin killed them in the fourth with those turnovers and terrible defense on Harris.

I know everyone is celebrating this 4 point home loss to a CT team that just barely escaped the 0 win mystics team but this game left me with more concerns I had about the Fever than I did last week.

Reaction Score
Indiana played their best stretch of the season with Boston and Clark on the bench.

I know everyone online is blaming Boston for the loss for that missed layup but Caitlin killed them in the fourth with those turnovers and terrible defense on Harris.

I know everyone is celebrating this 4 point home loss to a CT team that just barely escaped the 0 win mystics team but this game left me with more concerns I had about the Fever than I did last week.
How so? Sure it wasn't pretty but the team seems to be making small improvements with each game. Considering who they've faced during their first four games of the season, not sure what more you could expect out of the Fever.

Reaction Score
How so? Sure it wasn't pretty but the team seems to be making small improvements with each game. Considering who they've faced during their first four games of the season, not sure what more you could expect out of the Fever.
I expected the Fever to be a top 6 team in the league and I don’t think the Sun are a top 3 team in the league right now with that back court. They might get there but right now they are a good but not great team that had a bad night and the Fever couldn’t get the win desperate on their home floor.

What caused me concern for the Fever is Caitlin was -18 and her team was + 14 without her on the floor. The biggest difference i saw between this game and the last one with CT was that stretch she was out with the twisted ankle and went from down 8-10 to up 3 at the half. Without that I think we see a similar game as the last one where the CT lead is hovers around 8-12 points all game and then they go on a little run in the 4th to extend to 15. Whatever they are doing when Caitlin is on the court isn’t working and a close loss is just hiding that.

Caitlin is a great talent as is Aliyah Boston but the best stretch for the Fever came with both of them on the bench to end the second half.

The most concerning thing for the Fever is Wallace is one of their best 5 players this season and not because she got better. They added one of the greatest rookie talents and still somehow managed to figure out a way to downgrade their roster overall. Perplexing franchise.

Reaction Score
Also, Allen, Cloud, and Copper are massive upgrades defensively for Phoenix's perimeter personnel.
An upgrade...... over last year's pathetic perimeter defense.

Gray was 8-12 (3-4 from 3)
Howard was 7-15 (5-9 from 3)
Young was 6-16

Plum who's been asked to step up and fill the Chelsea roll was 8 for 20.

Massive upgrade? Yes but when you're comparing defense to pathetic massive merely takes you to ineffective.

In their last three games the final preseason and first two regular season games this upgraded personnel has limited opponents to 10-23, 9-29 and 12 - 23 from threeland. Both million dollar coach and these three upgraded personnel appear to lack the consistent effort and were not for the Fever would be at the bottom of the league in points allowed.

The improved defense has proved exhausting for the Mercury as they've been outscored in all second half quarters during the regular season to date, allowing 48 second half points to both Aces and the Dream.

Apparently this improved personnel lacks proper structure and coaching. I'm wondering if the Mercury are reconsidering the ROI on their million dollar coach in spite of his initial w as a woman's coach last week.

As the Aces remain undefeated in their struggle to hit from three land the Mercury were fortunate to survive the Dream and most certainly will go to 1-2 after tomorrow night's double digit loss to the Aces.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I expected the Fever to be a top 6 team in the league and I don’t think the Sun are a top 3 team in the league right now with that back court. They might get there but right now they are a good but not great team that had a bad night and the Fever couldn’t get the win desperate on their home floor.

What caused me concern for the Fever is Caitlin was -18 and her team was + 14 without her on the floor. The biggest difference i saw between this game and the last one with CT was that stretch she was out with the twisted ankle and went from down 8-10 to up 3 at the half. Without that I think we see a similar game as the last one where the CT lead is hovers around 8-12 points all game and then they go on a little run in the 4th to extend to 15. Whatever they are doing when Caitlin is on the court isn’t working and a close loss is just hiding that.

Caitlin is a great talent as is Aliyah Boston but the best stretch for the Fever came with both of them on the bench to end the second half.

The most concerning thing for the Fever is Wallace is one of their best 5 players this season and not because she got better. They added one of the greatest rookie talents and still somehow managed to figure out a way to downgrade their roster overall. Perplexing franchise.
Not sure how you conclude that about the Sun. Their backcourt of Harris/Carrington is fantastic. Both fill their role extremely well and allow Alyssa Thomas be the primary distributor. They definitely look like a top team to start the year along with the Liberty.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you conclude that about the Sun. Their backcourt of Harris/Carrington is fantastic. Both fill their role extremely well and allow Alyssa Thomas be the primary distributor. They definitely look like a top team to start the year along with the Liberty.
Fantastic is overly optimistic. I’d take the Liberty,Aces, Mercury, Dream, Sparks, Fever,
Storm, Lynx, Sky over theirs. I don’t consider a bottom 3 backcourt fantastic nor a recipe for success in the playoffs. I love the Sun so maybe I’m overly critical but they have taken a big step back from the last few season to me eye test wise and roster construction wise. They’ll be better when Jones gets fully healthy I think and hope and pray but I suspect they’ll drop a few of their upcoming games.

Right now I see the WNBA as a league with two top teams and a lot of mess underneath. The Sun might separate themselves to make it three top teams by the seasons end (as might a couple others) but it’s far from a sure thing imo.

Reaction Score

The biggest surprise to me so far is the initial incompatibility of Clark and Boston. Everybody is talking about Clark's struggles, but Boston is having a horrible start as well. On paper I thought the addition of Clark would be a major advantage for Boston since Clark is such a good passer.

Clark having to adjust to the WNBA is a major factor of course, but perhaps her new teammates adjusting to her is just as big an issue. WNBA rookies have to adjust to a new system and generally learn to fit in. Caitlin has had systems built around her talents and how much she dominates the ball. Instead of the rookie fitting in and learning the system, the rest of the Pacers roster has to learn how to play with Clark.

I suspect in time that will happen, but the dynamics between Clark and Boston is an interesting subplot to watch. What seemed like a marriage made in heaven when they were paired up, is looking like they are preparing for divorce court instead so far.

Reaction Score
Prior to this game, I saw a stat she was one of only four rookies to ever amass 50 points and 15 assists in their first 3 games in the league. Think about that. While she was "struggling," she did something only 3 players had done in the previous 25+ years of the league's existence.
And this is why statistics are so deceptive. How many rookies played as many minutes? Took as many shots? Had the ball in their hands so often? Allowed more points than they scored? Played defense? Won games? Maybe Clark will get by excelling only on offense, but she has a long way to go in developing her game to contribute as a winner. She has brought lots of fans to the wnba. Hope those fans can recognize all of the great players in the league.

Reaction Score

A lot of good points. Appreciate you expanding on your earlier post.

However, Indiana as a top 6 team this year? Even with the addition of Clark, that seems like a stretch.

Watching the Fever reminds me of last year where it took them some time to get their footing. Their next few games aren't exactly a cake walk either. Feel that judgement at this point is too early until they play against everyone.

Reaction Score
I am so tired of seeing A. Thomas knocking opponents over like bowling pins on both ends of the court and never getting called for a foul, and if you even think about trying to play defense against her you'll get the whistle. So ridiculously uneven the way refs officiate everything having to do with her. Can she retire already? She is really good, but I don't like her, I don't like the way she plays, and I can't stand what the refs let her get away with.
Yeah. There were several plays, especially on the break, where AT would throw her shoulder into an Indiana Fever player and that defender would fly about 5-10 feet. Katie Lou took a couple of hard shots to the chest by AT and no offensive foul was called.

Reaction Score
Indiana played and looked a little better last night. Each game they get better and better, and it showed last night. I love that they are not giving up on themselves or each other, at least not yet and publicly. The schedule did them no favors for the first four games of the season, going up against a top defending team (Connecticut) in the league and against a tough team in New York. However, the schedule did them a favor in giving them the chance to measure their skill and talent level against some pretty tough competition out the gate. Everyone thinks they are good and talented until you run into a team or player who has just a little more talent and just as good as you.

The Fever finish out the month with a slightly favorable schedule, minus the Aces. Seattle and Los Angeles (2 games each). Both LA and Seattle are adjusting and trying to build their chemistry and find their identity. The Fever might split those games or sweep. Nobody really knows until they hit the hardwood. Heck the Fever could catch the Aces sleeping. Nobody knows. But I do like the way the Fever are coming along.

Reaction Score
A lot of good points. Appreciate you expanding on your earlier post.

However, Indiana as a top 6 team this year? Even with the addition of Clark, that seems like a stretch.

Watching the Fever reminds me of last year where it took them some time to get their footing. Their next few games aren't exactly a cake walk either. Feel that judgement at this point is too early until they play against everyone.
A stretch maybe but they were very competitive with almost every team all season. They almost took down the Aces 4 times, 2 of those games with Candace Parker. They felt like a team last year that was as very close to being a good team in this league that an addition like Clark would get them over the hump. And it still might but they are going to have to figure out what star to play through and craft an identity around that and I’m not totally sure Sides is up for those hard choices yet. I’d have little concerns about this Fever team with a veteran coach, that’s not the situation, however.

Reaction Score
Scoring isn't a big problem for CC or the team but she (and they) need to cut down on those turnovers. 5 more for her tonight. They won't start winning until they fix that.

CC is not going to cut down on turnovers. This is nothing new for her

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score

The omission here is bad--even by ESPN standards. How do you leave off a two-time All-Star (a player who won all four ROM awards her rookie year)?

Reaction Score
A stretch maybe but they were very competitive with almost every team all season. They almost took down the Aces 4 times, 2 of those games with Candace Parker. They felt like a team last year that was as very close to being a good team in this league that an addition like Clark would get them over the hump. And it still might but they are going to have to figure out what star to play through and craft an identity around that and I’m not totally sure Sides is up for those hard choices yet. I’d have little concerns about this Fever team with a veteran coach, that’s not the situation, however.
We're talking the same coach who was responsible for the team being competitive in the games noted from last season. With new pieces like Samuelson and Clark being added, Mitchell finally on the court and Wheeler getting back into game shape, it's not surprising there are some initial rough patches.

Sides was able to figure some things out last season to help improve the team's win total. I'm willing to see what happens with another full season with this roster before making any predictions as to whether she can handle the job.

Reaction Score
We're talking the same coach who was responsible for the team being competitive in the games noted from last season. With new pieces like Samuelson and Clark being added, Mitchell finally on the court and Wheeler getting back into game shape, it's not surprising there are some initial rough patches.

Sides was able to figure some things out last season to help improve the team's win total. I'm willing to see what happens with another full season with this roster before making any predictions as to whether she can handle the job.
I mean I thought her coaching is what held them back last year as well. End of game specifically she’s terrible. Drawing up a play for Aaliyah Boston to dribble drive from the logo to get a semi open layup?! That’s not her game. If you wanted that action put Smith up at the top with a Clark because Smith has that skill set.

I don’t think Sides helped them improve their win total as much as the addition of Boston did. It’s impossible to say for sure but this team was less than the sum of their parts last year and I’d imagine it will be the same this year because she does not seem like a good coach.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The omission here is bad--even by ESPN standards. How do you leave off a two-time All-Star (a player who won all four ROM awards her rookie year)?
All four listed -- Plum, Young, Ionescu, and Clark -- are facilitators/playmakers. Rhyne Howard is not a point guard nor was she the primary facilitator (Wheeler in 2022, Robinson/Jones in 2023).
Howard is a SG/SF player.

The language could have been clearer, however.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom